Old 23rd October 2018, 18:39   #1
Pawel

Send a message via ICQ to Pawel
Winamp tools 10.0

I would like to ask you to help with tests. Would be nice if you try it and write your opinion.
What would you add in such applications, what would you change. Is it working fine for you?
Thanks for any opinion. The newest version of Winamp Tools applications brings many changes and I hope it made it super easy to use and very simple.

WINAMP TOOLS 10.0 FINAL (27.08.2019)
Link: https://www.pawelporwisz.pl/winamp/w...load_en.php#wt

---
Let me tell you something about Winamp Tools Project (https://www.pawelporwisz.pl/winamp/winamp_tools_en.php). Winamp Tools is a set of tools dedicated to Winamp. I started to write this very long time ago (first, it was just tool that helped me to organize translation for Winamp).
Over time, the program and all related files became more and more advanced. After many years of changes, improvements, writing new ideas, removing this ideas I created apps you can see now.
Today, all my simple helper applications, scripts or bath files bacame a Winamp Tools package. Winamp Tools consists of the following apps:

- All About Winamp (WAAbout): This application allows you to get and display all important information about Winamp,
- Winamp Backup & Restore (WABackupRestore): This application allows you to create backup of all Winamp files and settings and if it is neccessary restore it,
- Winamp Translation (WATranslator): This application allows you to simplify and organize Winamp interface translation. It is possibly to generate Winamp Language Pack (it is a wrapper for lng_generator, external application written by DrO).

At the begining, all this apps was written to complete so called Winamp PL project (Polish Language Pack, Polish Winamp help system and everything related with Winamp for Polish user). Few years ago, I thought it can be used by all Winamp users (this is why it support english language now).

Notes:
I have to notice that some time ago I was helping Koopa with his similar Winamp related tools (written in NSIS): Winamp Info Tool or Winamp Backup Tool (and other things). I was responsible for some graphics, some ideas and a lot of code... but, we decided both to not continue our cooperation. Later, I wrote my own backup tool based on his idea (and added it to my other applications).
The main reason to write my own application was a different look at the matter, limited script possibilities, etc...It seems, however, that for some the existence of two similar applications is too much... If you want to try it out, here is a link to his tools: http://koopa.meggamusic.co.uk/

Let me describe shortly each tool:

---------------------------------------------
ALL ABOUT WINAMP (WAAbout)

All About Winamp (WAAbout) is a simple and intuitive tool that allows you to gather and display information about Winamp. It can create report using simple wizard, you can manage your existing reports and finally you can just display the most important Winamp informations. The most important feature is possibility to create report (in text format - clear and simple text, or in HTML format - formatted, nice-looking document with images) with all important information about Winamp and its components.

It is written in Delphi, modern programming environment with convenient and fast compiler (now also 64bit). This allows to write whatever you want (the only problem is relatively big exe files produced by Delphi... but nowadays it seems not be a big deal (especially with UPX)).

I know that for many this program may be useless or completely unnecessary, but I hope that someone will find it useful (I love it! :P).

All About Winamp (WAAbout) application supports command-line options and exit error codes. Command-line options can help you to automate some actions or replace saved settings without changing it. Exit error codes can help you to diagnose the problem if something goes wrong (if /S command is passed and there is no visible information). Commands can be entered in upper or lower case. You should always use quotation marks for commands data. Passed paths need to be a fully qualified paths to work correctly.

To get to know all command-line options use in console: WAAbout.exe /?

WINAMP BACKUP & RESTORE (WABackupRestore)

Winamp Backup & Restore (WABackupRestore) application allows you to create a backup of all Winamp settings and files and if it is neccessary restore it. It is simple and intuitive application. It is designed to backup specific (or all) Winamp settings and files. Created backup file can be restored at any time. It is an invaluable tool for users who like to experiment with the settings or for those who simply want to backup Winamp files.

Winamp Backup & Restore application has an intuitive and simple interface, small size, is portable, compatible with Windows 7+. Thanks to preferences, allows you to customize it. It allows to generate detailed TXT/HTML reports for chosen actions and support several languages.

Winamp Backup & Restore runs in two modes - BACKUP and RESTORE.
BACKUP MODE
Backup mode allows to make a backup of all Winamp files and settings (user need to choose Winamp Installation Directory or directroy where Portable Winamp is located, define output backup directory, its filename, etc (you may use default), define report options and thats all.
Notes: You can make Full Backup or Normal Backup (Full is recommended).

RESTORE MODE
Restore Mode allows you to restore files from previously created Backup File into default Winamp Installation Directory (or defined by user).
To restore the files you need to choose Winamp Backup File (with wbr extension), choose output (destination) directory, define some report options and thats all!

Winamp Backup & Restore (WABackupRestore) application supports command-line options and exit error codes. Command-line options can help you to automate some actions. Exit error codes can help you to diagnose the problem if something goes wrong (if /S parameter is passed and there is no visible information).

Commands can be entered in upper or lower case. You should always use quotation marks for commands data. Passed paths need to be a fully qualified paths to work correctly. There are two basic actions: Backup (/BACKUP) and Restore (/RESTORE). Each action has specific commands that must be passed with it. There are also General and Report command-line options (optional, used both in Backup and Restore actions).

To get to know all command-line options use in console: WABackupRestore.exe /?

---

Notes: By default all backup files and generated reports are stored in the user directory. Settings are stored in:
All About Winamp (WAAbout):
C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Winamp Tools\WAAbout\WAAbout.ini
Winamp Backup & Restore (WABackupRestore):
C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Winamp Tools\WABackupRestore\WABackupRestore.ini

You can force using portable mode by changing config option in configuration file:

code:
[SYSTEM]
; App Configuration Files Mode [0=Portable | 1=User Directory]
UserMode=1 ; change to UserMode=0 to use application as portable
; App Default Language [1033 | 1045]
DefaultLang=1033

I hope this info is clear and maybe you will even find useful to use my Winamp Tools
-Pawel

Last edited by Pawel; 13th September 2019 at 14:18.
Pawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 19:46   #2
PeterK.
Quinto Black CT Developer

Hello Pawel,

now this is a great piece of software!

I just ran a short test and must admit that I am impressed. It looks and feels very stable. Everything is in its proper place and looks (almost) very clean on my high-resolution display. Every text line is big enough. No cut off sentences or graphics. The whole appearance of the program is very nice.

Exported report also looks very good in my Firefox.

Two notes though:

1) in the tab SKINS the additional info about the skin is missing. Also there is no preview screenshot. And all this because Winamp does not provide those text lines at all. (only during installation). When you hit CTRL+P and go to Skins tab you will only find the name of the current skin. Nothing more. Is this actually a bug?

2)Those three icons in the status bar (Options, Help and Create Report) are definitely too small. And all other seem "pixelated"/"edgy"- as if your program zoomed in a 48x48 icon format into 150x150. Please have a look at the attached screenshot. In case those are real icon files you might add some more formats to those icons. And if these are just png files - well, you have to keep it that way.

Would it be possible to add svg files to your program?

Once again, great job Pawel.

Last edited by PeterK.; 25th October 2018 at 06:27.
PeterK. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 20:41   #3
Pawel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK. View Post

Hello Pawel,

now this is a great piece of software!
Thanks!

Quote:

1) in the tab SKINS the additional info about the skin is missing. Also there is no preview screenshot. And all this because Winamp does not provide those text lines at all. (only during installation). When you hit CTRL+P and go to Skins tab you will only find the name of the current skin. Nothing more. Is this actually a bug?
If I understand it well, it is on purpose. Some skins listed in "Skins" tab do not have description (like for example built-in Classic Skin or zipped skins).
I could read info from zipped skins, but I decided to not do this for now (I would have to add zip support and unzipping it in runtime just to read some info...)

Quote:

2)Those three icons in the status bar (Options, Help and Create Report) are definitely too small. And all other seem "pixelated"/"edgy"- as if your program zoomed in a 48x48 icon format into 150x150. Please have a look at the attached screenshot. In case those are real icon files you might add some more formats to those icons. And if these are just png files - well, you have to keep it that way.
Yes. For now, this icons are always 16x16, even in High DPI screen (for example with scaling set to 150%)
I will work on images on buttons later (for now these are bitmaps).

Quote:

Would it be possible to add svg files to your program?
No. I use PNG format and this is not gonna change.

Thanks for testing. Did you however tested the latest build (v.10)? I see on your screenshots old version, 9.0 - that is completely different and OLD.
I linked the newest version at the top of the post (do not download it from my website).

-Pawel
Old 24th October 2018, 21:15   #4
PeterK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawel View Post
... Did you however tested the latest build (v.10)? I see on your screenshots old version, 9.0 - that is completely different and OLD.
I linked the newest version at the top of the post (do not download it from my website)...
I am so sorry, you are right. I followed the second link, visited your homepage, found the "special website" and grabbed the 9.0 version of your program.

And the version 10 looks even better! I see that you removed the icons at the bottom of the window and all other ones look gorgeous!
Old 25th October 2018, 09:20   #5
Pawel

Peter,
You use none-standard Windows scaling, right? What DPI?
(My app support 100%, 125%, 150% and 200%).

-Pawel
Old 25th October 2018, 09:42   #6
PeterK.

Quote:
Peter,
You use none-standard Windows scaling, right? What DPI?
The scaling is set to 150 %.
Old 25th October 2018, 09:46   #7
Pawel

OK. Should be OK. Images should be sharp and beautiful :P
-Pawel
Old 25th October 2018, 18:41   #8
PeterK.

I still have a question.

In the Winamp Information Report there is the Legend footnote explaining the colors and their corresponding list. For example, my skin is green in this list because I currently use it. Good.

But what about reducing those five color combinations into one? So I do not have to remember which color represents which list. Especially for first time users it might me a little bit confusing to see a plug-in text line in red as if it was missing or corrupt.

What do you think?
Old 25th October 2018, 19:25   #9
Pawel

Thanks for opinion.
This can not be changed, it is done on purpose. Legend is based on colors and I like it.
Of course, red color can be changed into another color, more neutral... What color would you propose?

-Pawel
Old 25th October 2018, 20:18   #10
PeterK.

Quote:
... What color would you propose?
Hmmmm ... We can mix 16 millions colors - which one should we take?

1) not red - means danger, warning, something is missing or kaput
2) not pink - it is ugly
3) dark yellow is already in use ...

Take this one: 8D428E
Old 25th October 2018, 22:03   #11
Pawel

Here are the new colors: http://www.meggamusic.co.uk/shup/1540501379/su.png

App: http://www.meggamusic.co.uk/shup/1540501299/WAABout.exe

-Pawel
Old 27th October 2018, 09:15   #12
PeterK.

Quote:
Here are the new colors ...
Much better ...

Another short question: some text lines are bold while others are not. Is there a hidden rule for such usage? What about making all text lines not bold?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bold.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	398.4 KB
ID:	54152  
Old 27th October 2018, 19:25   #13
Pawel

No. It is just how I designed it. It can be changed via CSS rules. There will be more CSS styles in future (perhaps one of them will use no-bold for all data text).
-Pawel
Old 29th October 2018, 10:24   #14
Pawel

As I promised I was working on adding new css styles to report files. Now it supports 4 styles (default, winamp2, winamp5 and wacup).

The newest build: http://www.meggamusic.co.uk/shup/1540808506/WAAbout.exe

New Report CSS Styles:
- Winamp 2: http://www.meggamusic.co.uk/shup/154...6/WINAMP2.html
- Winamp 5: http://www.meggamusic.co.uk/shup/154...1/WINAMP5.html
- WACUP: http://www.meggamusic.co.uk/shup/1540808572/WACUP.html

I hope you like it.
-Pawel
Old 29th October 2018, 16:04   #15
PeterK.

Well done Pawel.
Old 8th January 2019, 13:14   #16
Pawel

First post of this thread has been updated.
Now, you can test Winamp Backup & Restore (WABackupRestore) application. It allows you to create backup of all Winamp files and settings and if it is neccessary restore it.

Applications are in beta stage.
Enjoy!
-Pawel
Old 8th January 2019, 22:16   #17
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Will give it a spin later...

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2019, 08:54   #18
PeterK.

I just ran a short test and as far I can tell everything works fine.

I would like to make one remark though. During the backup procedure the text lines and the frame of the window flicker. It almost looks as if the frame would "move". I made a GIF and there are images with a thicker frame and with a thinner frame of this backup window:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	flicker.png
Views:	747
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	54357  
Old 26th January 2019, 13:00   #19
Pawel

@PeterK.
Thanks. Yes, I have to say it is annoying. It is flickering.
I tried to minimalise this effect, and for sure I did a bit (but still could be better).
I updated first post with new builds.
-Pawel
Old 26th January 2019, 13:43   #20
PeterK.

I just grabbed the new version and noticed that it remembers the colors I assigned to some components - nice - but not the window size and position. It always starts in default.
And the frame looks good now, but we have the same issue with the scrollbar, which seems to disappear from time to time.

And the exported text lines are not always properly aligned:

I assume this "appearance" has something to do with the "hiding" scrollbar.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	scrollbar.png
Views:	737
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	54359   Click image for larger version

Name:	not aligned.png
Views:	734
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	54362  
Old 26th January 2019, 17:24   #21
Pawel

I will do my best to fix this scrollbar issues. For now, I have no idea what to do - it should not behave like this (I am sure I do something wrong)...
I will add an option to remember window size and position.
-Pawel
Old 28th January 2019, 11:33   #22
Pawel

@PeterK.
I was trying to fix flickering in log window... it seems that displaying horizontal scrollbar helps. If only vertical scrollbar is displayed it disappears sometimes (like you said). Have no idea why!

So, for now I use both scrollbars. I think I will change the log window (maybe I will remove rich formatting, this is only log - and I prefer to not flickering then nice looking log :P

I already added option to remember size and position of window. I also added an option to choose date format for report file (request from WACUP forum thread - https://getwacup.com/community/index...8.html#msg3428).

I will upload new builds for few days - need to think what to do with flickering.
Thanks for tests!
-Pawel
Old 29th January 2019, 22:07   #23
Pawel

First post of the thread has been updated with the newest builds.
I improved a bit log window (scrollbar flickering, made log simpler), fixed few issues and added option where user can choose Report Date format (on Report options page).

-Pawel
Old 29th January 2019, 23:54   #24
MrSinatra
Forum King

i like it, some comments:

i would like it to install itself to its own winamp subdirectory. obviously an option to change the directory if desired as well. i would like it to install shortcuts as well.

why are some nullsoft things listed as third party?

maybe a clear delineation should be marked between official winamp installs, vs wacup or similar installs?

one thing i think it really could use, is some utility functions, like to restore all winamp settings to defaults, and/or to delete some or all temp files and cache files, like artwork, ML db, etc. maybe also an option to turn on safe mode, for winamp installs that otherwise can't start to do so, from inside winamp.

--
Old 30th January 2019, 09:07   #25
Pawel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
i would like it to install itself to its own winamp subdirectory. obviously an option to change the directory if desired as well. i would like it to install shortcuts as well.
Tools available in this thread works as portable. There is a Winamp Tools installer that let you choose install directory and even create shortcuts. However, it will be released when I done tests.

Quote:
why are some nullsoft things listed as third party?
If there are any components that are listed as third-party, please let me know which ones.
I will fix this.

Quote:
maybe a clear delineation should be marked between official winamp installs, vs wacup or similar installs?
Hmm, don't know what you are talking about... Could you write more?
I think it is clearly written that user has installed Winamp or Winamp + WACUP.
(or old Winamp installs, current Winamp install or Winamp 5.8.x)

Quote:
one thing i think it really could use, is some utility functions, like to restore all winamp settings to defaults, and/or to delete some or all temp files and cache files, like artwork, ML db, etc. maybe also an option to turn on safe mode, for winamp installs that otherwise can't start to do so, from inside winamp.
Maybe. I don't like the idea that I remove something from user computer.
But, maybe in future.

-Pawel
Old 30th January 2019, 11:59   #26
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
If there are any components that are listed as third-party, please let me know which ones.
I will fix this.
the wasapi output plugin, and the in_mod input plugin.

Quote:
Hmm, don't know what you are talking about... Could you write more?
I think it is clearly written that user has installed Winamp or Winamp + WACUP.
(or old Winamp installs, current Winamp install or Winamp 5.8.x)
yes, you're right, but what i guess i mean is a more prominent opening description, that makes it bold and clear that the install is official, or a fork of some kind.

also, when u manage an existing report, when u click open it opens the folder, rather than the report.

Quote:
Maybe. I don't like the idea that I remove something from user computer.
But, maybe in future.

-Pawel
i understand having a tool that can do no harm, vs one that can do unintended harm, but whether part of this tool, or separately, some kind of maint utility for winamp is needed. maybe bundle the 3 in a single installer, (AAW tool, backup restore tool, maint/fixit tool)

again, great work!

is this now the only info tool? has DrO and Koopa, etc, given up developing their tools? does anyone else make or develop similar tools?

--
Old 30th January 2019, 12:31   #27
Pawel

Quote:
the wasapi output plugin, and the in_mod input plugin.
Yes, you are right. Those are written by Benski (Ben Allison).

Logic of detecting Winamp Manufacturer in WAAbout app (pseudocode):

PHP Code:
   if FileExists(WINAMP_DIR '\' + 'winamp.original') and FileExists(WINAMP_DIR + '\' + 'winamp.dll') then
      begin
         // WACUP
      end
   else
      begin
         if WINAMP_VERSION > 5.6.6.3516 then
            begin
               // WINAMP SA (Radionomy)
            end
         else
            begin
               // Nullsoft Inc. (AOL)
            end;
      end; 
Logic of detecting Winamp or Third-party compoennt in WAAbout app (pseudocode):

PHP Code:
   if (COMPANY_NAME 'Nullsoft, Inc.') or (COMPANY_NAME'Winamp SA') or (COMPANY_NAME'Radionomy SA'then
      begin

// Native Winamp Plugin

end

else

begin

// Third-Party or WACUP Plugin

if COMPANY_NAMEWACUP (WinAmp Community Update Projectthen
            begin

// WACUP Plugin

end

else

begin

// Third-Party Plugin

end;

end
Those info is read from resources. I guess I can add an exception for Benski.

Quote:
yes, you're right, but what i guess i mean is a more prominent opening description, that makes it bold and clear that the install is official, or a fork of some kind.
I am going to add such info when WACUP will be fully independent player (no need for original winamp files).

If you have more copies of Winamp (installed and some other portable) and you play music in one of them WAAbout will make you choose on start, what Winamp instance you want to get info.

Quote:
also, when u manage an existing report, when u click open it opens the folder, rather than the report.
Yes, but this button opens report directory. If you want to open a report, double click report on the list or use right-click menu.

Quote:
i understand having a tool that can do no harm, vs one that can do unintended harm, but whether part of this tool, or separately, some kind of maint utility for winamp is needed. maybe bundle the 3 in a single installer, (AAW tool, backup restore tool, maint/fixit tool)
Good point. Will think about it. It need time, but for sure not bad idea.

Quote:
is this now the only info tool? has DrO and Koopa, etc, given up developing their tools? does anyone else make or develop similar tools?
Koopa made Winamp Info Tool (with my help). This tool is distributed with WACUP.
I don't know anybody else who write such tool (we both know that this tool is a real niche). So, there are 2 similar tools, mine and from Koopa.

As far as I know Koopa has no time to update his tool now, but I am sure he will make some updates when he get time or need. DrO support it.

There was time I was asking DrO to add some options in WACUP that gives user possibility to choose what tools he want to use, but WACUP is still in beta stage (maybe in future). Also, my tools are much more complex and much bigger (window size and exe size).

-Pawel
Old 27th August 2019, 12:50   #28
Pawel

Winamp Tools 10.0 Final has been released today.
If anyone is interested, please download it directly from my website

Link: https://www.pawelporwisz.pl/winamp/w...load_en.php#wt

Ps: This is probably the latest version that was concentrated on Winamp.
Next version will be more focused on WACUP.

-Pawel
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion