Old 18th December 2002, 16:49   #1
bluetape2k1
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to bluetape2k1
Anyone seen LOTR Two Towers yet?

I'm very intrested in how well the 2nd one comes of to the audience

**if you are gonna say stuff about it...don't give away the good stuff like what they did with the Star Trek thread***
bluetape2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2002, 17:08   #2
capitan3
Major Dude

i will see it in about 45 min. so i'll let everyone know results

Capitan3
capitan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2002, 18:20   #3
hammerhead
The Shark
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to hammerhead
I havent seen it yet. But the reviews say its magnificent.
hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2002, 18:34   #4
raydream
Banned

i never saw the first one till about a month ago when i watched it on dvd with my girlfriend, to be totally honest, im not that interested in seeing this one, i read the books a long long time ago, long before all this hype started about tolkien, in fact, i was 11 years old, when i read the hobbit, but what im saying is, the idea of the books was to create a magical world in your head, given discriptions from the books your reading, which was half of the fun, because everyone who read it would have their own unique image of the world in their head, seeing it on "the big screen" seems to diloute and catagorise the series, which i beleive is not a good thing.
raydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2002, 20:13   #5
SNYder
Forum King

I'm seeing it tonight. Have had tickets for days. Me and my dad are big fans of the books. He brought me up on them

And if anyone hasn't seen the special edition dvd of the first lotr with 30 minutes of extra footage, your really have to. It gave the movie a better sence of completness. The original edited for the theaters version was too short. I'm glad to see that The Two Towers is over 3 hours. I guess the people who forced them to edit for time in the first one learned their lessons.
SNYder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2002, 20:27   #6
Trigear
bear!

i saw it last night at midnight. way cool, much better than the first one, imho. everything was exactly as i imagined it when i read the books, from the evil barbarian to the fairy queen. very good. and i'll try not to give too much of the plot away, but i'll say this: watch out when frodo runs into the fairy queen. omg that surprised me! and i didn't know gandalf was gay!
Trigear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2002, 20:30   #7
Orgone_Man
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by triGEAR
i saw it last night at midnight. way cool, much better than the first one, imho. everything was exactly as i imagined it when i read the books, from the evil barbarian to the fairy queen. very good. and i'll try not to give too much of the plot away, but i'll say this: watch out when frodo runs into the fairy queen. omg that surprised me! and i didn't know gandalf was gay!
Gandalf Gay!?!#?!

anyways... I can't wait untill I see it this Saturday. It's all I can think about.
Orgone_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2002, 20:45   #8
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

I saw the second showing of it, and all I can say is that you won't be disappointed. The story is pretty disjointed compared to the books, but that is only because it is nigh on impossible to convert the book exactly to film. What we do have though is surely the film of the year, and a clean sweep of the Oscars. I enjoyed this film a lot more than the first, as the story is known to you, and the director can get going with the real action. The Battle of Helms Deep is easily the greatest scene in the film, it is well acted (although there is a lot of artistic licence!), and the effects are stunning.
The only bit that disappointed me to some extent was the scenes with the Ents, as you hardly learn anything about them, and they play a far more crucial role to the story than Peter Jackson lets on. They were well designed though, although some of them were a little childish in imagination, but that doesn't detract at all.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2002, 21:08   #9
AjStone
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to AjStone Send a message via AIM to AjStone Send a message via Yahoo to AjStone
It's on my imminent to-do list. Hopefully tonight, if I can get tickets. Might go with a good friend.
AjStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2002, 21:12   #10
PhotoFx
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to PhotoFx
aj, you're supposed to watch THE MOVIE!

PhotoFx -[=]-"Visual forms are not inherent in themselves, but are granted by the act of seeing..." -Trevor Goodchild
PhotoFx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2002, 21:27   #11
AjStone
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to AjStone Send a message via AIM to AjStone Send a message via Yahoo to AjStone
WTF did you think I was talking about??
Old 18th December 2002, 21:39   #12
PhotoFx
Major Dude

well, you know, i was thinking that your good friend has some really really interesting books, or cards that you'd want to look at, so i was just reminding you why you were supposed to be going.....

/me hides

PhotoFx -[=]-"Visual forms are not inherent in themselves, but are granted by the act of seeing..." -Trevor Goodchild
Old 18th December 2002, 21:44   #13
AjStone
Major Dude

No idiot. My good friend is just really hot and loves anything Medieval, just like me.
Old 18th December 2002, 21:47   #14
Orgone_Man
Major Dude

Fight, Fight, Fight

sorry guys, i've been drinking at work again. And the funny thing is, i'm getting paid now even after I declined it.
Orgone_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2002, 21:49   #15
PhotoFx
Major Dude

mua ha ha! i was right! like i said... watch teh movie!

Old 18th December 2002, 22:04   #16
Schismx

I saw it today. It rocked, except:

Faramir was done completely wrong. He was supposed to prove that not all humans are greedy and motivated by the desire for power, i.e. like Boromir (his brother).
Schismx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2002, 22:12   #17
PhotoFx
Major Dude

and apparently that doesn't happen? damn.

Old 18th December 2002, 22:17   #18
Schismx

Quote:
Originally posted by PhotoFx
and apparently that doesn't happen? damn.
SPOILER

Faramir kidnaps Frodo and trys to take him to Minas Tirith

(it's in white text )
Schismx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2002, 22:21   #19
capitan3
Major Dude

just got back from the movies. and i have to say it was great all the story in the movie. consice yet covers much of the book. like said before im not gonna devulge any info, about the movie. but it's a must see.

Capitan3
capitan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2002, 22:55   #20
MetallichicA
Forum Queen

Send a message via AIM to MetallichicA
Quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo Baggins
The only bit that disappointed me to some extent was the scenes with the Ents, as you hardly learn anything about them, and they play a far more crucial role to the story than Peter Jackson lets on. They were well designed though, although some of them were a little childish in imagination, but that doesn't detract at all.
I've been wondering how they would do the Ents. I hadn't seen anything in any of the trailers or anything, and I heard they don't play a very big role. That really frustrates me, too, because they play such a critical role in the story. It seems too big of a thing to just overlook.

What about Tom Bombadil? ... or was he in Return of the King...?
MetallichicA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2002, 23:01   #21
Some1
Forum King

Quote:
I saw it today. It rocked, except:

Faramir was done completely wrong. He was supposed to prove that not all humans are greedy and motivated by the desire for power, i.e. like Boromir (his brother).
Isn't that what Aragorn does? Why must there be two characters that do the same thing?

(not that I've seen the movie yet)
Some1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2002, 23:04   #22
Bilbo Baggins

In the book, Faramir is actually like Aragorn, and actually sends Frodo on his way, and has no desire to take the ring. In the film he is all wrong.

Tom Bombadil was in The Fellowship of the Ring (book), but not the film (sadly).
Old 18th December 2002, 23:52   #23
Spiffed
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Spiffed
Quote:
**if you are gonna say stuff about it...don't give away the good stuff like what they did with the Star Trek thread**
maybe it's just me, but this whole spoiling the plot thing doesn't work when it's been a book for the past 50years or so

(aparently real-life agree's)

the road to enlightenment is filled with much dark
chat, stat, and be merry
The best of IRC PM's
Spiffed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2002, 03:56   #24
Khaine

Send a message via ICQ to Khaine
Pity I have to wait until boxing dah to see it, (Damn **** and not having a universal release date)
Khaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2002, 04:16   #25
SNYder
Forum King

Just saw The Two Towers. It was outstanding, just as the extended release of the first one was.
SNYder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2002, 13:34   #26
s1138
Alumni?

Send a message via ICQ to s1138 Send a message via AIM to s1138 Send a message via Yahoo to s1138
im going to see it after school today...!!!!!!!!!!!

my parents wouldnt let me go to the midnight showing

s1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2002, 17:49   #27
BomBoi

Send a message via AIM to BomBoi
WOW that movies was tight and the battle scenes were like an hour long
BomBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2002, 11:16   #28
Some1
Forum King

good movie, although as with the first movie (and most movies that show giant medieval type battles with swords and arrows and such) the camera jumped around a little too much in the battle scenes, making it hard to tell precisely what you were looking at at times...not that this at all makes it any less of a kickass movie. I also didn't like the way they seemed to make gollum the comic relief, as the way I remember it, his character was pretty dark in the book (though it's been a long time since I read it, so maybe he was used as the comic relief there as well)...but overall it gets a 10 out of 10.

As I was leaving the theater I overheard somebody say "they left out all the good parts"...I don't know whether or not this is true, but the movie is 3 hours long, and all the parts that they included are good, and the plot never really bogged down, and I never found myself wondering "god, how long IS this movie." In fact, I wish they had made it longer...I would have happily sat there for another 3 hours if it meant I got to see the end of the story (or just more stuff related to the two towers book).

Flood Isengard! FLOOD IT GOOD!!!
Old 20th December 2002, 16:00   #29
Bilbo Baggins

I assume by good parts they mean the parts of the book where the palantir gets thrown out of the window by Wormtongue, and Pippin looks into it, revealing himself to Sauron, and the Riders of Rohan begin their march to Gondor.

I actually did like the idea of the Elves joining the battle at Helms Deep. That was a good piece of thought on Jacksons part.
Old 20th December 2002, 21:45   #30
VisualAgnosia

I see it in a few days here in Aussie. So from what was just said was left out I 'm hopin the Ents are init, mind you I wont look back at this thread cause I dont wanna know till I see it

*Bubbling* with anticipation
VisualAgnosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2002, 22:29   #31
eleet-2k2
Forum King

W00t!! The forums are upgraded!!

W00t!! I saw 2 Towers. Amazing movie, although my friend was disappointed there was no giant spider.

"Welcome to the Island of people who know too much."..."Did you really think balloons would stop him?!"
See what I'm listening too.
eleet-2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2002, 22:48   #32
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Amazing film, I really didn't expect them to be done this well. It's hard to rate the middle film on it's own, but I think they took what had the potential to be a boring and strung-out film and make it seriously impressive. The soundtrack is great too .

btw the spider bit has been moved to Return of the King now, there's a lot of plot in the second book, which they couldn't fit all into one film, even with cuts .

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2002, 23:12   #33
Some1
Forum King

Quote:
The soundtrack is great too
Agreed, except for that one bit of "new age" crap that plays when Aragorn is lying in the river...that choice of music was seriously annoying.
Old 21st December 2002, 05:07   #34
I am Jesus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to I am Jesus
saw it the 18th( first day). Way fuckin cool and better than the 1st one.
I am Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2002, 05:27   #35
Bop
Forum King

I thought I was going to hate the first one and having viewed it just a few days ago, I was pleasantly surprised. I mean it's not the greatest movie in the world but it was quite entertaining... I will check out the second one. These movies are great escapist fun.

ßoþL¡©¡†¥
Bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2002, 05:39   #36
Avalon
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Avalon
Saw it with my baby brother, all I'm going to say is... damn... it was a pretty damn good movie... pretty damn good movie...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2002, 15:02   #37
Aero Zeppelin
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Aero Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Aero Zeppelin
I am going to see it today at 12:00 i should get back late at night, but ill tell yall what ithink.

Legalize It. Liberate It. Free The People of the United States. Free The Herbs Of The World!
Aero Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2002, 03:43   #38
hestermofet
Major Dude

I just saw the first one recently, so I'll say this first. I don't like how the orcs were done at all. I always imagined them to be much larger, with black skin, and possibly with a tail of some kind. A huge chest, and bulging arm muscles. These things were scrawny, and looked like burn victims.

Now, for The Two Towers. I think they did an excellent job. It's always hard to make the second instalment of a trilogy stand on its own. This one doesn't do that, but it's still a great effort. Much better than, say, The Empire Strikes Back. There are enough subplots to keep it interesting (by contrast, the second instalment of Stars Wars goes completely downhill after the Hoth battle) Of course, the entire series won't make much sense unless you've read the books beforehand. There just isn't enough time in the world to explain certain things. As Bilbo pointed out, the Ents seemed a bit out of place. It's noted that they take a long time to speak in Entish, but unless you've read the book, this particular tidbit of info seems irrelevant.

Now, I thought the Ents going to war was by far the best scene in the whole flick. Absolutely fabulous! Not only funny, but the animation technique harkens back to the glory days of Sinbad the Sailor

The one thing I was really looking forward to was the orc healing done on Merry and Pippen... though the cannabalism made up for the disappointment ^_^

I think the Faromir subplot was taking just a bit too much artistic licence.

edit: forgot to mention, for the most part, the soundtrack sucked horribly. Parts of it were nice, but the rest used too many pipes and tubular bells. So cliched.

For the freedom to express myself in my own way without fear of being censored or banned.
hestermofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2002, 04:07   #39
Some1
Forum King

Quote:
I don't like how the orcs were done at all. I always imagined them to be much larger, with black skin, and possibly with a tail of some kind. A huge chest, and bulging arm muscles.
That's a troll.

Quote:
The one thing I was really looking forward to was the orc healing done on Merry and Pippen... though the cannabalism made up for the disappointment ^_^
Did they actually cannibalize him though, or did they get jumped by the raiding party before they could eat him?
Old 23rd December 2002, 04:12   #40
RanDom_ErrOr
Banned

Location: The loony bin, just outside of nutsville,USA. I would visit you, but my room is padded and i cant get out...
Send a message via ICQ to RanDom_ErrOr Send a message via AIM to RanDom_ErrOr
ian mckellen in real life is gay. has been out since mid 80s or so...
RanDom_ErrOr is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions