Old 11th May 2011, 09:58   #1
FretBuzz

Vob

Sorry for starting a new thread, I did ask this on the back of my last thread (.mov) but thought I may get more replies this way.

So, this is my 2nd attempt with WinAmp, there is something about it I like but I just cannot get it to do, what to me are simple things. The last time I gave up because I couldn'y play dvd's, I even bought the Pro version thinking it would help but it didn't. But the same thing has happened again, I put in a dvd and WinAmp will not play it - so to me this is 'daft' as there must be a million apps that play dvd's and its a fairly common requirement. So I have googled and ended up putting ';vob' in the list of formats for the DirectShow decoder, but that didn't work.

So how do I play a dvd? I really dont want to fight WinAmp I just want to use it. I also got it to play .mov's after help from this forum, but although they play, I cannot 'skip' through to different points, it just goes beginning to end.

To me these are 2 basic things that should be taken for granted when using a modern media player. As I said I really want to get this to work, but I dont want to jump through hoops to do it, so please any ideas appreciated.

Thanks
FretBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 16:04   #2
Marcos

Years and years ago I asked support about Winamp not playing standard dvds and was informed that it did not have the capabilty to do so. I think this is still the case, unless you know of cases where it does/did play standard (vob) dvds and now it does not.
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 18:15   #3
FretBuzz

Thanks for the reply. If that is indeed the case, it is very strange, as it really makes it a non-starter, I want use it for everything or not at all, which is a shame really.

I really love to know why this as to me its a case of shooting yourself in the foot.
Old 12th May 2011, 20:16   #4
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Winamp is a music player from the 1990s. Then someone added Video Playback. Making it an Audio\Video player.

Adding DVD playback as well will need a bit of a change of direction, and no doubt more licensing costs.

Install VLC for your DVD playing, and stick with Winamp for everything else.

Personally I play Music Files via Winamp, Video files using VLC or Media Player Classic and DVDs go into my DVD player. I pick tools that are best for the job. We all have different requirements.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 12:24   #5
FretBuzz

Thanks for the reply and explaining.

I guess when I look at the 'blurb' for WinAmp it comes across as an allpurpose, customisable, media player, which to me includes dvd. So when the first thing I do is try an play a dvd and get it to work, and it doesn't, it seems like 'why cant it do something so basic'.

If there are licensing costs involved to support dvd, then how come so many free apps seem to to be able to do it, unless of course they recoop from somewhere else, I guess I just dont know.

Also from my POV dvd is my main format - I have lots of concerts on dvd and lots of instructional dvd's.

Anyway, I will carry on with WinAmp along the lines you suggest and see where it gets me.
Old 13th May 2011, 19:47   #6
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

I cannot answer how the free apps are playing DVDs. It may be that they simply use the built in Windows Media Player SDK.

With VLC\K-Lite I am not sure how they fund the licences - or maybe just careful choices of Open Source. Which is a route that AOL will not be able to follow.

The average PC is happy to have multiple players installed. My Media PC which is attached to my TV screen has about seven on there at least. But my core viewing is split between three as I explained above.

The important thing is to get your head around how to tell the OS which program you want to handle which file extension when you double click. In Winamp this is done through the Preferences (but if you are on Win7\Vista you will find it helps to start Winamp "As Administrator" when changing these settings)
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support