Old 31st January 2008, 15:39   #1
gulo

reaquiring dropped streams

hello winamp gurus! / i searched for this question / topic on the forums but maybe i am the only one having this problem / i listen to internet radio with winamp / run squaresoft gap killer with tomass limiter dsp / have a fast cable connection / xp home with a ton of ram / 100 mbp linksys router / netgear wireless access point...

several time a day i lose the stream and have to go back and manually reconnect / it always buffers and reconnects instantly / i have tried several different streams and it seems to happen no matter which one i am connected to or the bitrate of the stream...

i increased my buffer to 256k / no difference...

i tried loading the same url several times into the playlist and set winamp to repeat hoping that it would just select the next url and reconnect / no difference...

1) is there a way to prevent losing the stream?
2) if not / is there a way to have winamp reconnect automaticly?

thank you for your help!!! / gulo out

gulo
gulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2008, 15:24   #2
gulo

anyone? / comment invited please and thank you...

gulo
Old 1st February 2008, 15:33   #3
JonnyMac

Turn on Repeat. However, use it with some discretion. If a connection can not be (re)established and the repeat function constantly tries to reconnect (see hammering) to the server you are not going to make the station very happy. There is the possibility the station could ban you.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2008, 16:36   #4
gulo

hi JM / hammering eh? / ok / thanks for the tip / i will follow your suggestion / thanks!

gulo
Old 8th February 2008, 17:32   #5
n0ukf

Send a message via ICQ to n0ukf Send a message via AIM to n0ukf Send a message via Yahoo to n0ukf
I've been noticing this problem recently myself, but only in the last few weeks. I've been using repeat to automatically reacquire a dropped stream (dropped connection on my end or anywhere between here and the stream servers). I also use it to connect to a stream that hasn't started yet (repeat until connected). I've never run up against a ban situation, or if I did, it was very short lived so I knew nothing of the ban.

Was something changed recently in how repeat works on streams? Is there any other (gentler than "hammering") way in the works to continually check for the presence of a live stream until it's ready to be connected, or to reacquire a dropped stream?
n0ukf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 21:23   #6
JonnyMac

Nothing has changed. The hammering thing is just a general warning some of us give with the Repeat suggestion.

To prevent constant reconnecting on a "dead" link, you could try DrO's Silence Detector plug-in. Set it to something like 'Stop Playing' or 'Start playing the next playlist entry'. The idea being after x seconds of silence it will stop trying to reconnect and perform the selected action. It is a DSP/Effects plug-in. See screenshot
Attached Images
File Type: gif silence_detector.gif (39.7 KB, 1611 views)
Old 12th April 2008, 13:01   #7
PalmosRadio

Hi all,
i have a problem or question about Silence Detector and restless winamp plugin.
I have try both for the reason that when i'm listening an web radio and my connection drops then to start again listen it without have to press play etc.Most of times work both good but...there ase some other times that i find winamp playing but Buffer from 60-90% and it seems to play but there is no sound,if i press play then it start again and plays right.
Is there any solution for this?
Any detector on no music....?no audio??
because it thinks that it plays and stop pushing any more Play but really it does not play...
Thank you all!!
Nick
PalmosRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 02:50   #8
n0ukf

Send a message via ICQ to n0ukf Send a message via AIM to n0ukf Send a message via Yahoo to n0ukf
I've used Silence Detector from time to time now, but I've been hoping more for a stream detector than a silence detector. The DJ may have a period of silence for some reason (trouble with mic or files) and yet still be streaming to the server. There's no need to be reconnecting to a stream when it's already being received. Rather than detecting silence, it should detect whether data is coming in on the stream (whether silent or not.

Also, back to Silence Detector, it won't reconnect if you hit pause, but it will if you press stop. I believe that a pressed stop should also keep it stopped, not restart it.
Old 11th June 2008, 00:11   #9
n0ukf

Quote:
Originally posted by PalmosRadio
Hi all,
i have a problem or question about Silence Detector and restless winamp plugin.
What is Restless and where can I find it? I searched the Winamp site for "Restless" in plugins but nothing came up. In fact, I've searched for other plugins in the past and the search had no results even when using the exact name of a plugin.
Old 11th June 2008, 00:33   #10
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Quote:
Originally posted by n0ukf
What is Restless and where can I find it? I searched the Winamp site for "Restless" in plugins but nothing came up. In fact, I've searched for other plugins in the past and the search had no results even when using the exact name of a plugin.
The search function here sucks and hasn't worked worth a damn for years.

Anyway, Restless is an old DSP Effect plugin that can still be downloaded here, in ZIP format...

dsp_restless_111.zip

I'll also quote from what DrO said way back in 2005, right around the time he released his Silence Detector...
Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....00#post1783200 (is about that dsp and an alternative one with some slightly better options though i never had a response on how well mine was suited to the task :/ )

-daz

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 18:42   #11
n0ukf

I installed restless to the plugins folder but I can't find it in the plugins part of prefs, DSP or any other. Didn't see any instructions in the archive. And you didn't say what it does.
Old 11th June 2008, 18:51   #12
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Well I don't use it and I have no need for it, so I can't help you.
Besides, 3rd-party authored plugins are not supported here.
Contact the plugin author for support...

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 19:53   #13
n0ukf

Giving a link to the zip didn't tell me who made it or what it does. So it's another silence detector. That isn't really what I want, I don't want it reconnecting to a stream just because the DJ just has extended silence coming through a still active stream.

Wouldn't it be possible instead to detect the presence of a stream and whether data is still flowing, whether it's music or silence? Maybe 2 modes of operation, one to reconnect to a dropped stream after X seconds, and the other to detect when a stream becomes available (waiting for the DJ to start) then automatically connect. Can a stream presence/absence be detected without making a connect attempt (hammering)? If we could do this, then I can disable the repeat button.
Old 11th June 2008, 20:14   #14
DrO

you'd need to sniff what's coming through on the stream and the only way (other than hacking into the source code/network system) is to work against the audio data that is being received for dsp plugins. that method has issues (like pausing stops data coming through then again if you've manually paused a stream if supported then you're not going to want to reconnect).

mine and the restless plugins work on different ways of determining silence on what is being processed by winamp but not enough as it seems for what you're looking for and in all honesty i can't see how things can be altered other than in the native code (if feasible though you'd then possibly looking at applying it across however many input plugins).

now i've not read all of the thread so i don't know if there's anything with my plugin that needs to be tweaked based on the feedback made but i'm struggling to see anything exactly meeting your needs... unless you want to try and code something yourself

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 20:16   #15
JonnyMac

Quote:
Originally posted by n0ukf
Giving a link to the zip didn't tell me who made it or what it does.
Huh? The link in the quote forum Nunzio’s first reply has both a explanation of the plug-in and the developers name. Additionally his second reply gives the developers name, website and contact page.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
Old 11th June 2008, 22:28   #16
n0ukf

Ok, so I didn't read all the links. I took the one after the zip to be another talking about Silence Detector rather than Restless since it referenced DrO and "...the time he released his Silence Detector..."
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support