Forum Domo

Wait until you get a new computer.

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2007, 21:14   #3
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

It's hard to give any sort of definate answer.

Assuming your hardware is up to scratch and you dont rely on a lot of older legacy software, then there's really no reason not to upgrade. That said, you may not find any real compelling reasons for upgrading either.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2007, 21:16   #4
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

Quote:
Originally posted by shakey_snake
I'm saving for it
P$ycHo™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2007, 21:17   #5
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
If your a n00b, you will just LOVE it.

If your not, you wont be impressed.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2007, 23:22   #6
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Vie

I disagree.

Shakey's right, though.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2007, 23:46   #7
ujay
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by shakey_snake
That's my plan too.

In fact, I've just put together an old bitser this afternoon and installed Ubuntu for a change of scene. Quite liking it, but there's a lot I miss from Windows. Probably need to poke around a bit yet

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 00:05   #8
JFASI
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Vie

And if you're a mac user, you might look for Safari for a moment before you realize you're on a PC.

But seriously, it looks nicer than XP, but almost everything else looks strikingly familiar. If you've got no problem with XP, then the only thing you're really passing up is directx 10, Aero, and security features.

Certified Spam Connoisseur.
JFASI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 00:21   #9
mikm
Major Dude

Any person dumb enough to mistake Vista for OSX should be barred from using a computer.

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 00:22   #10
Vie
Forum King

There goes 82% of PC owners then.

Old 27th March 2007, 00:24   #11
mikm
Major Dude

I have no problem with that

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 00:25   #12
Vie
Forum King

I would agree, but then that would include my grandmother.

She is only just starting out though so exceptions will be made.

Old 27th March 2007, 01:04   #13
Phyltre
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Phyltre Send a message via Yahoo to Phyltre
I like me some Vista. I realize that people say eyecandy is just that--and it is--but it really is easier on the eyes. Also the search is much better, looking at folders of photos blew me away, etc.

That being said: upgrading can be a hassle for drivers. Hardware people are SLOW working out their Vista problems. So, yeah, it's best to just get it with a new computer--although the in-place upgrade from XP to Vista was absolutely seamless for me. Microsoft deserves golden stars for that.
Phyltre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 02:26   #14
JFASI
Major Dude

One thing that I really don't like about Vista versus OSX and Linux is the hardware requirements. OSX runs great on my 933Mhz Quicksilver, and Linux looks amazing under Beryl with almost any computer. Vista is a HUGE memory hog, but then again, OSX loves RAM...

Old 27th March 2007, 02:31   #15
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
So does anything. What's the point of having 2 gigs of ram if you're not going to use it? The Linux kernel (and I am almost sure that the BSD kernel does it the same way) uses whatever ram it can for caching.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 03:11   #16
beanboy89
(Major Dude)
isn't very custom

Vista is running great for me on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 with 1 GB RAM. I wouldn't even consider going back to XP or any other OS for that matter.
beanboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 04:21   #17
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
I helped a coworker purchase and setup his new pc which happens to have vista home premium. This new OS certainly has its perks with some notable ones being its improved aesthetics, search, security, and parenteral controls. However it also has its drawbacks such as application and hardware speed and compatibility issues and of course the all encompassing ever frustrating uac. You could also read through these vista rants ( #1, #2 )for more ms lambasting or this wikipedia article on vista drawbacks. In any event I found vista to be a decent OS with some nice features but is yet still rough around the edges. So unless you are in dire need of a new PC I don't think vista in its current state is sufficient motivation to upgrade in itself especially with Vista as originally intended on the near horizon.
EfaustuS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 06:12   #18
Phyltre
Forum King

It's times like these I wish I could beat the hardware vendors with a stick until they broke open and shiny new drivers fell out. That, or stand aside and let the ancients have their way.

Ahhhhh, nearly as satisfying as the real thing...
Old 27th March 2007, 12:40   #19
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

hi

i think on my 1.7ghz computer with 1gb ram, it should work but slow. I read that XP is still faster for gamers.
so for the first i will stay with open SUSE 10.2 and linux on my 1.7 ghz, win 98SE on my 350mhz and win 95 on my 133mhz(my scanner driver only works with win 95)
perhaps i can afford a new pc in 1 year and than it will be with Vista.
BTW
A thing i hate:
Direct X 10 only for Vista
Old 27th March 2007, 12:47   #20
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
OpenGL++

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 13:18   #21
JFASI
Major Dude

OpenGL doubleplusgood. Vista does top XP in aesthetics, I concede, but It doesn't stand a chance in gaming. I don't Direct X 10 is either fully completed of not all hardware supports it, or something like that...

Old 27th March 2007, 20:00   #22
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by P$ycHoâ„¢
Direct X 10 only for Vista
I heard a rumour that the Wine people were going to implement a version that works in XP. Just a rumour, mind. Would be interesting (and judging by their current DX implementation, they might well be capable).

Quote:
Originally posted by JFASI
OpenGL doubleplusgood. Vista does top XP in aesthetics, I concede, but It doesn't stand a chance in gaming. I don't Direct X 10 is either fully completed of not all hardware supports it, or something like that...
DX10 doesn't have much (any?) hardware that fully supports it yet, no.

OpenGL is a bit of an arsier standard than DX in general. It tends to lag a little behind (a lot less than it used to, now, but still), presumably due to the fact that it's developed less centrally.

Old 27th March 2007, 20:10   #23
rockouthippie
Banned

I think if you are building a new machine today, then you should put Vista on it and choose your hardware to avoid problems with it.

Of course, it's gonna be pretty much fine for off the shelf computers.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 21:41   #24
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

The real questions are: 1 - What do you have a computer for, and two, does vista make that better?

Personally I have no use for Vista yet and I'd like to wait a bit until I buy a new PC so I guess that perhaps in about 6-12 months I'm going for a new system with or without vista.

For now: stay away from any Vista 'ready/compatible' hardware - it usually only means that vista runs with it, but not very well.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 21:52   #25
fc*uk

Quote:
Originally posted by mikm
Any person dumb enough to mistake Vista for OSX should be barred from using a computer.
Then you have not seen this: http://osx.portraitofakite.com/
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 22:36   #26
JFASI
Major Dude

The truth about "Vista capable" is that it's simply a marketing gimmick. When they say Vista capable, they mostly mean vista home basic AKA "Windows XP with UAC". The requirements are really "minimal" for basic, but people are still suckered into thinking that they can get the whole thing.

Old 27th March 2007, 23:53   #27
zootm
Forum King

The security improvements are significant on their own, and Microsoft have always offered branding for computers which can run their Operating Systems. I realise that there's different versions with different requirements now, but really there's not a very good less-confusing way to label them I can think of.

Actually, something like "Aero Capable" would probably work, or "Windows Basic Capable" vs. "Windows Premium Capable". It's all kinda confuzzlin' though.

Old 28th March 2007, 12:53   #28
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

@zootm:

The GeForce 8800 supports DirectX 10 completely, and i really hope this rumor is right.

@warrior of the light:

I think you should wait until service pack 1 is published.
Old 28th March 2007, 14:37   #29
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
Quote:
@zootm:

The GeForce 8800 supports DirectX 10 completely, and i really hope this rumor is right.
you are correct though the drivers for this card have been reported to be a bit buggy ( see here) , and here ) With threats of lawsuits this driver issue may have been since resolved though... I dunno.
Old 28th March 2007, 17:43   #30
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

i didnt say the drivers are working properly i only said it supports it. Vista has problems with drivers in general, because the architecture is different from XP. Another reason to wait.
Old 28th March 2007, 17:53   #31
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Quote:
i didnt say the drivers are working properly i only said it supports it. Vista has problems with drivers in general, because the architecture is different from XP. Another reason to wait.
indeed, though I never said that you said anything about its drivers . just affirming and elaborating mi amigo.
Old 29th March 2007, 13:52   #32
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

no problem lets forget it
Old 29th March 2007, 13:56   #33
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

you can forget it if you want, I'm going to remember this thread and laugh at you every time I do.

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 13:58   #34
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

I have it. It take a little getting used to but it is pretty good. But wait until you get a new computer, it's really overpriced.

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 18:01   #35
Phyltre
Forum King

There are a lot of cool options in Vista I'm still discovering.
First, the integrated search in the start menu--it was a week before I even noticed it (who really stares at the start menu anymore anyway!)

Also you can change the volume levels of different programs independent of each other (something I would have killed for with annoying AIM/MSN/gtalk/gmail/soulseek sound notifications blaring over music.)

Then there's the shadow file thing to find old versions of files, which I haven't needed yet but I'm sure I will.

There's also the new folder view options for lots of images, which includes a large image view--infinitely more useful than the old crappy slow slideshow view.

The thumbnailing is awesome, because my mp3s with embedded art show as the art rather than as a generic mp3 icon.

Also the folder icon images can show multiple art files within the folder, which sounds dull but actually can help you figure out where a subdirectory is when you set media organizers loose on your machine. And they crammed in more sort-by and view elements than I'm ever going to use. Going into the "choose details" dialogue feels like walking into a library.

They made an Autoplay entry in the control panel, which is very useful if you do any media work on your PC at all (Mac comments not needed) so you can actually make the CD load with the program you want to start off with rather than having to stick it in and wait for it to autorun or right click and browse through to the handler you want.

Then there's the "_____ problem occurred, looking for solution" dialog that comes up when a program crashes, installs incorrectly, or stops responding. At first it was useless (like the simpler XP version) but in the last two weeks I've actually started getting results from this thing--there's a good deal of satisfaction in windows telling you what went wrong and giving you a website to fix it, especially when a third-party program was to blame. The system also handles program hang-ups much better now; even if something refuses to respond and eats up CPU/memory or whatever, you can still get back to the desktop very quickly. I remember on XP that getting back to the desktop would take anywhere from 10 to 50 seconds if a programs was conflicting or misbehaving. In Vista the windows have been MUCH more responsive overall.

I haven't been too impressed by the sidebar yet, but I'm willing to give more third parties time to develop for it--there are plenty of widgets but lots are either clunky or just not useful.
Old 29th March 2007, 18:16   #36
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

@snakey: i was talking to EfaustuS9
@Phyltre: I use Desktop Sidebar with XP fore some month now and i have most of my programs icons in there. so i don't use the startmenue often.
Old 29th April 2007, 19:11   #37
DKqwerty

Send a message via AIM to DKqwerty
Quote:
Originally posted by Vie

That's not true. I love Vista for it's smacked-up layout with everything at your fingertips, but without being in the way. Plus it just looks nice. Aero is as fluid and functional as the stripped down Win95->2000 gray style and leaps beyond XP's Luna theme. There's still huge kinks, but as a non-n00b I'm enjoying the troubleshooting and self-diagnostic process (since HP has refused to release their x64 drivers even when threatened with legal action).

Vista rocks if you have the hardware. Otherwise don't even bother.
DKqwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2007, 22:16   #38
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Vista is becoming better known as Windows ME II, so saith these fine fellows..

eweek

zdnet

silicon valley sleuth

the inquier

will such an uncomplementing designation stick I guess time will tell, but in the mean time XP works great. Hell Ubuntu is also swell, just ask Michael Dell.
Old 29th April 2007, 22:43   #39
zootm
Forum King

EfaustuS9 - The Inquirer article calls it "Windows ME II", the other three articles are commenting on the Inquirer's article.

The Inquirer article is an opinion piece (and is incorrect in quite a few areas). Although they're a fun read, they're not a source I'd cite with any sort of seriousness. They make no apologies for being anti-Microsoft.

Old 29th April 2007, 22:51   #40
Vie
Forum King

Me was not THAT bad once you learnt its little foibles.

I nursed a Me system for 3-4 years without needing to format it once. Course, I did have to restart it after about 2 hours of use...

But then my first XP install was far far worse, this was pre sp1, to the extent that when it finally blew I dint bother to install XP and put 98 on it instead. Nursing 98 was far less hair loss enduing than Me or XP.

Now though I have to say XP on this comp has let to give me any real complaints, few niggles at the start but its running a treat now. Baring that in mind I know I wont try a Vista install until a game needing DX10 comes on sale.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions