Old 13th May 2005, 02:38   #1
protegechris
Forum Queen

God I love ebay.

I just got my Paypal account verified and now I'm ebaying!

Unfortunately I can't spend much right now, if you want to see why, read this

I'm 35 dollars shy of being able to buy my engine now.

Anyways, was wondering, has anyone had any really bad experiences with EBay? Before I start bidding and all..

yeah, i'm back.
protegechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2005, 02:43   #2
missyob
Angel of Winamp

I have bought tons of stuff on ebay and very rarely get ripped off.

Just make sure you ALWAYS check the sellers feedback.
missyob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2005, 05:21   #3
MrMagick
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to MrMagick Send a message via AIM to MrMagick Send a message via Yahoo to MrMagick
Since I have started taking calls for the post office I have heard many bad things about the sellers/buyers on eBay. But then again, no one calls the post office except to complain or track a package anyway.

So if you want any good tips on mailing stuff, e-mail me.

-~MrMagick~-
MrMagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2005, 07:18   #4
DuaneJeffers
Major Dude

Yea, I am mildly addicted to eBay. I have found alot my computer parts there (for my server) and other various things. My latest purchase was a nice Canon Rebel2000 Film SLR that I got for 100 bucks.

Website

Yeah, that's pretty much it. :-\
DuaneJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2005, 08:23   #5
Print
Forum King

What sucks, is most people who have no experience with Ebay only see the horror stories or lawsuits that arise from using it.

This makes alot of people question it's usefulness.

However, Ebay is a great place to shop, or search for bargins, or hard to find items.

Good to see another person using Ebay. Ebay w00t.
Print is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2005, 08:31   #6
protegechris
Forum Queen

Oh my god. I just had a brilliant idea.

I will auction the address and phone number of the guy who scammed me out of 300 dollars (see here. With my long and elaborate horror story, pictures of all the work, and of when I took it down. I can see it now. "This old man took advantage of a 15 year old freelancer! Quick, max bid ten grand!"

I could auction my account info for winamp forums I really need 40 more bucks to get my engine

yeah, i'm back.
Old 13th May 2005, 08:34   #7
Print
Forum King

I sense your extremely pissed about this.

Shit.. Yoda doesn't have shit on me.
Old 13th May 2005, 08:42   #8
DuaneJeffers
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by protegechris
Oh my god. I just had a brilliant idea.

I will auction the address and phone number of the guy who scammed me out of 300 dollars (see here. With my long and elaborate horror story, pictures of all the work, and of when I took it down. I can see it now. "This old man took advantage of a 15 year old freelancer! Quick, max bid ten grand!"

I could auction my account info for winamp forums I really need 40 more bucks to get my engine
Don't do that. It is bad (both things). If you need the 40 bucks, I can tell you, wait, because someone might come through.

Website

Old 13th May 2005, 08:44   #9
protegechris
Forum Queen

Yeah, it's a joke

I've got hundreds of old baseball cards and thousands of foreign coins in my garage. Never thought of selling them until now. *walks to garage to sift through boxes*

yeah, i'm back.
Old 13th May 2005, 08:46   #10
DuaneJeffers
Major Dude

Mind you, you will need money to sell items on eBay. To start, I would suggest having about 10 bucks in your eBay account (once you get approved for selling, then you will be able to put money in your account) for about 5-10 starter auctions. Oh, you will need a Credit Card to start.

Website

Old 13th May 2005, 08:55   #11
Print
Forum King

Yeah that's usually a problem if your 15.
Old 13th May 2005, 09:08   #12
protegechris
Forum Queen

Not at all I use my mom's credit card, I just keep her credit card current and paid up and it's mine to use. Works out quite well. I've got my PayPal business account attached to the card, and about $270 in my PayPal from other jobs I've done. I can use my PayPal account to get a few listings going, but it looks like to sell they require a checking account as well, which nobody I know has, unfortunately..

edit: Bah they're not like PayPal either, credit card's first name has to be the same as on my account. That blows.

I guess I'll find the coins and head over to some coin forums or something.

yeah, i'm back.
Old 13th May 2005, 10:04   #13
Print
Forum King

Wow.. my mom wouldn't trust her credit card to an internet site in a million years. She's like that.

Not that it matters to me.. she wouldn't trust me with it in a million years either
Old 13th May 2005, 10:08   #14
protegechris
Forum Queen

Well my mother's cool She co-runs my radio station with me, runs her own indie band promotion site as well She also appreciates mike jones

yeah, i'm back.
Old 13th May 2005, 10:14   #15
Print
Forum King

That's pretty sweet.

My mom is just starting to get into computers at all.

She bought one a few months ago.

But who is Mike Jones? That name only means anything to me because there is a rap artist by that name.
Old 13th May 2005, 10:28   #16
protegechris
Forum Queen

Exactly. What I meant was she's open to all kinds of music, and unlike most parents I know she enjoys rap

yeah, i'm back.
Old 13th May 2005, 10:52   #17
Print
Forum King

Oh lol.. I just assumed your mom wouldn't like rap, thus my confusion.

Mom liking rap . That's seriously fucking sweet. The closest i've come to that was my mom liking a few Eminem songs..

But that's just older people in general.. stubborn and set in their ways. I get the feeling i'll be like that when i'm older too, but still.

It only begins to bother me when people turn to the stereotypes or racist shit when it comes to rap. That get's me going .
Old 13th May 2005, 21:55   #18
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

I have considered auctioning off some of the winamp swag i have been sent over the years.

Recently sold some bits and pieces that i had lying around.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2005, 22:20   #19
Timbaland

I buy everything on ebay. Never had any real bad expirences..Make sure you check thier feedback and make sure to read the item description carefully. It sucks when they send you a dvd with no cover/case and it was in the description all along..Besides that happening once or twice, a guy mailed me a poster that wasnt taped up so it fell out somewhere..but I emailed him and he sent a replacement.
Timbaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2005, 00:00   #20
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
Originally posted by blueprint_n9ne
Wow.. my mom wouldn't trust her credit card to an internet site in a million years. She's like that.
Try this to convince her otherwise...it's worked on everyone I've ever tried to convince they should trust shopping on the internet...

When you go to a store and use your credit card for a purchase, there is a copy of the receipt with your full credit card number and expiration date on it that sits in the cash register (other than the copy you sign). This second copy isn't needed for any specific purpose (the payment transfer to the merchant is based entirely on the electronic transaction done at the register and the copy of the receipt you sign, and the financial records are kept in a general ledger). So many merchants carelessly toss these extra receipt records in the garbage, for anyone in the world to go and dig out. So this way anyone in the world could have your credit card information.

When you use your card on the internet, you're on a secure site (check the little padlock in the bottom-right corner of the browser to be sure), and all information you enter is encrypted when it's transferred to the merchant. The merchant doesn't need to print a hard copy of anything with your card number on it, so they don't. Your card number is secure the entire time, and only a few hundred people in the world have the hacking abilities to break into the merchant's server and retrieve sensitive customer information.

So in any worst-case scenario, shop at a store and anyone in the world has the knowledge required to retrieve your credit card number, or shop on the internet and only a handful might have the knowledge to retrieve it. It's up to you.

(Nowadays, most hard copy receipts produced by cash registers don't have the full credit card number exposed, so this explanation worked better a few years ago when they did, but it's still pretty convincing to people who have trouble trusting the internet.)
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2005, 01:35   #21
Print
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by ScorLibran
Try this to convince her otherwise...it's worked on everyone I've ever tried to convince they should trust shopping on the internet...

When you go to a store and use your credit card for a purchase, there is a copy of the receipt with your full credit card number and expiration date on it that sits in the cash register (other than the copy you sign). This second copy isn't needed for any specific purpose (the payment transfer to the merchant is based entirely on the electronic transaction done at the register and the copy of the receipt you sign, and the financial records are kept in a general ledger). So many merchants carelessly toss these extra receipt records in the garbage, for anyone in the world to go and dig out. So this way anyone in the world could have your credit card information.

When you use your card on the internet, you're on a secure site (check the little padlock in the bottom-right corner of the browser to be sure), and all information you enter is encrypted when it's transferred to the merchant. The merchant doesn't need to print a hard copy of anything with your card number on it, so they don't. Your card number is secure the entire time, and only a few hundred people in the world have the hacking abilities to break into the merchant's server and retrieve sensitive customer information.

So in any worst-case scenario, shop at a store and anyone in the world has the knowledge required to retrieve your credit card number, or shop on the internet and only a handful might have the knowledge to retrieve it. It's up to you.

(Nowadays, most hard copy receipts produced by cash registers don't have the full credit card number exposed, so this explanation worked better a few years ago when they did, but it's still pretty convincing to people who have trouble trusting the internet.)
Yeah that's a decent explanation for someone who is wary of the interent. But some people are just plain over protective when it come's to their CC's.

That story will just keep them from shopping at retail stores
Old 14th May 2005, 03:15   #22
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
Originally posted by blueprint_n9ne
That story will just keep them from shopping at retail stores
I know, I thought about that whenever I'd explain it to someone. I guess it's a toss-up. And like you say, some people won't change they way they feel no matter what you tell them.
Old 15th May 2005, 03:43   #23
hgnis
Hobbit Humper
Forum King

This is why I stick to the tried and true method of getting attention: cash.
Come to think of it: I cannot recall a gentleman's club with an ATM or a floor accepting credit card machine.

I am so important I feel the need to let it be known like a liberal discovering the internets for the first time. Uh hur hur hur. I also wash myself with a rag on a stick.
Realitybites
<3
hgnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2005, 04:15   #24
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

I guess it depends on where you go.

I don't go to many strip clubs ( ) but most of the ones I've been to have both an ATM machine and accept credit cards (except what you put into the ladies g-strings, but lap dances can be paid by credit card in many places, as well as drinks and anything else you buy there).

They want as much of your money as possible, therefore they're going to make it easy for you to give it to them.

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
Old 15th May 2005, 13:07   #25
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
Quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo Baggins
I have considered auctioning off some of the winamp swag i have been sent over the years.
Yes, I'm sure that the one t-shirt that they sent me is gonna net me a fortune next time round...

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2005, 23:44   #26
Bilbo Baggins

When you are as finanically desperate as I am, you can only hope that some fanboy is reading your auction...

Just lost out on a $220 bidding war for a rare poster. Damn.
Old 16th May 2005, 04:05   #27
Phyltre
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Phyltre Send a message via Yahoo to Phyltre
I started collecting chopsticks on eBay. So far I've gotten a solid titanium pair, two sterling silver pair, a stainless steel pair, and quite a few various wooden style ones.

...and my girlfriend is watching my account to make sure I don't buy anymore...
Phyltre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2005, 14:00   #28
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

MP3 Power with Winamp!
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2005, 14:26   #29
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
Quote:
When you are as finanically desperate as I am, you can only hope that some fanboy is reading your auction...

The were intended for the powers that be here, and not you

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2005, 15:16   #30
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:

Eh? What poster?

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2005, 22:41   #31
Bilbo Baggins

This one
Old 16th May 2005, 22:47   #32
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
This one
Nice. (Fortunecity no likey hotlinking, so I've attached a smaller version)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg danger1-2.jpg (81.2 KB, 101 views)

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions