Old 11th December 2013, 18:53   #1
lordsilver

Winamp Lite remove video support

Can you add an option to remove all the video suppport from Lite Version?
So, this video option menu should not be there... And the video window, deleted.

There are a lot of people (like me) that are using Winamp only for music, so that's why a lot of people are still using Winamp 2.95. If that video thing can be removed, than it will be the same as Winamp 2.95, but with a lot of things updated, some music formats added (like flac) and a lot of bugs fixed.

Last edited by lordsilver; 11th December 2013 at 20:03.
lordsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 19:39   #2
OlexijL

Send a message via AIM to OlexijL Send a message via Yahoo to OlexijL
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsilver View Post
Ok, thank you.

Can you add an option to remove all the video suppport from Lite Version?
So, this video option menu should not be there... And the video window, deleted.

There are a lot of people (like me) that are using Winamp only for music, so that's why a lot of people are still using Winamp 2.95. If that video thing can be removed, than it will be the same as Winamp 2.95, but with a lot of things updated, some music formats added (like flac) and a lot of bugs fixed.
Ahm. Personally i do not think it makes sense. If you do not like the Full version, you can choose the Lite version. If you want additionally something else, download the Full and install the Lite components with additional things you want.

If you do not want to use video support, do not choose the video files association and do not use any video menu.
OlexijL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 19:43   #3
lordsilver

Why do you think it doesn't make sense? Yeah, I do not like the full version (I do not use all that bloatware), I want something simple and only for music. So why should be a bad thing to remove all the video support (and window) from the Lite version? (at least with an option from the installation process, as I said)

I don't use it, so, why should be there, why should be a video window and some video support?
Old 11th December 2013, 19:47   #4
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Video support is nearly the same like in 2.9x

Remove all Video related plugins, and set Windows media Decoder to audio only, then you won't see the prefs and entries anymore.

Even if you don't want to use the 'Bloatware' you simply can use the Full installer and select Lite.

OlexijL perfectly described, why your idea makes no sense.

Quote:
I don't use it, so, why should be there, why should be a video window and some video support?
And because of that you can decide in installer, what you want and what not, Winamp gives you the choice, most other software doesn't.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 19:51   #5
lordsilver

Can you tell me, please, which are the video related plugins (from the basic lite version, I didn't install anything else)?
And how can I set the Windows media Decoder to audio only? I can't find any option in there.

And yet again, you my idea has no sense??? Why should be video "related things" in there, if I don't use them? Yes, I can disable the video files from associations, but there will be still there and the video window will be still there? Will not be easier for the users to disable it from the installation process and after that they will don't have anything to "worry" about video?
Old 11th December 2013, 19:55   #6
lordsilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
Video support is nearly the same like in 2.9x
And because of that you can decide in installer, what you want and what not, Winamp gives you the choice, most other software doesn't.
There is no option in Winamp Lite installation process to remove all that video thing... Or am I wrong and I can't find it? :-o
Old 11th December 2013, 19:55   #7
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

as for the plugins, i cannot guss what is installed on your system provide an info report.
Old 11th December 2013, 20:00   #8
lordsilver

Thank you, I did that (what you said in the last post) and video dissappeared .
So why not do this from the installer? (most of us will not know to do what you just said)
And maybe remove mp4 support (I think that's the only video file supported here.. if not, the others, too) and "Video files" button from associations.
Old 11th December 2013, 20:07   #9
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

You have the choice:

Lite will uncheck video support, it's just the question if the installer will apply the correct Windows Media Plugin settings.
Old 11th December 2013, 20:09   #10
lordsilver

So you are telling me that in the full installer you can do this, but in the lite installer not?

And that option that you said to me (that I had to modify) it's Windows related, it cannot be modified from the installer?
Old 11th December 2013, 20:12   #11
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

The Lite installer does not have the video stuff. So nothing which needs to be unchecked, like in the Full installer, if you select Lite.

If the full installer does not apply the Windows Media Plugin settings correctly (removing WMV from the list and setting the streams to audio only) when you select 'Lite', the separate Lite installer won't either.
Old 11th December 2013, 20:17   #12
lordsilver

So... you can't do anything that Winamp could be installed (the lite installer, or full with lite option selected) with those settings like you said before?
Old 11th December 2013, 20:20   #13
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

if the installer does not apply the correct audio only settings for Windows Media plugin, it's a glitch in the installer.

The problem must be validated and then a Winamp dev 'could' look into it and fix it. But it's all a bit late now, so I wouldn't cross my fingers too much, that if it's a valid issue, that it still can/will be fixed.
Old 11th December 2013, 20:23   #14
lordsilver

I don't know, maybe you can do something about this . Later would be better than never.
Old 11th December 2013, 20:32   #15
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

I cannot do anything about it, I'm no Winamp dev.
Maybe a winamp dev will read the thread or maybe not. That's all I can say.
Old 11th December 2013, 20:34   #16
lordsilver

I mean if you can do anything, so a dev could know about this issue.
Old 11th December 2013, 20:35   #17
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

I already sent them a link, but as I posted above, I wouldn't cross my fingers too much.
Old 11th December 2013, 21:19   #18
DrO

i'll read this thread properly later on but the main thing is plug-ins don't know what 'lite' or 'full' or anything in-between is when it comes to the install type. am sure there was something which allowed for the video aspects to be disabled if nothing reports as supporting video but i could be wrong until (if) i can find the time to look into it.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 21:27   #19
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Thanks DrO, just to complete things, the full installer already is listing the Windows Media plugin twice under:

1. Audio:

http://www.meggamusic.co.uk/shup/1386796600/wm2.png

that also indicates, that only WMA support will be installed/enabled

2. Video:

http://www.meggamusic.co.uk/shup/1386796589/wm1.png

this indicates that only WMV support will be installed/enabled.

The Plugin itself is able to remove the video entries from Winamp if you set it to Audio only (hence I requested this years ago and Benski did it).

So if you do all from my screenshot, all Video entries in Winamp will be removed:

http://www.meggamusic.co.uk/shup/1386791716/wm.png

It's just that the installer shows two entries and it looks, like it will set up audio and/or video depending on the choice -but it doesn't matter what you check (the plugin under audio or under video).

I hope this makes the whole topic more easy to understand.
Old 11th December 2013, 21:29   #20
lordsilver

The problem is that WMV is not removed and, in these options, "audio only" is not selected by default.
Old 11th December 2013, 21:36   #21
DrO

and i repeat myself again. the plug-in has no knowledge of what you've selected during install. and from my initial check, as long as no plug-in reports 'video' support then the video options will be removed. additionally, it's not clear if this is being done via a true 'lite' installer or the 'full' installer and selecting 'lite' as the 'full' installer is going to provide more options as it has to cater for everything which can be installed.

so i think the only solution is you need to manually remove the things not wanted (include config aspects) as i'm not going to start messing around with the installer and other such things when i'm releasing a new version tomorrow.

[edit]
or i may be able to quickly add in a winamp.ini only config option that will allow for overriding the native handling i.e. force Winamp to think it cannot support video.
Old 11th December 2013, 21:42   #22
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
as i'm not going to start messing around with the installer and other such things when i'm releasing a new version tomorrow.
I fully agree, it's just to risky and not worth it it to change installer one day, before a new version will be released.

Additionally the 'glitch' is present, since the Windows Media Plugin was introduced in 5.12 and nobody reported it before.
Old 11th December 2013, 21:46   #23
DrO

i've now added a 'no_video=1' option in winamp.ini to force disable video support even if Winamp determines there are input plug-ins which seem to support video playback.

the effect is the menu option, preferences page and video window are not created.
Old 11th December 2013, 22:46   #24
lordsilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
and i repeat myself again. the plug-in has no knowledge of what you've selected during install. and from my initial check, as long as no plug-in reports 'video' support then the video options will be removed. additionally, it's not clear if this is being done via a true 'lite' installer or the 'full' installer and selecting 'lite' as the 'full' installer is going to provide more options as it has to cater for everything which can be installed.
I think at least may be solved in the lite installer and put files with those options selected ("audio only" and remove wmv). Am I wrong?

And in the full installer you can use that force no video (if only audio is selected).
Old 11th December 2013, 22:56   #25
DrO

i am not touching the installers, period.

i've provided a way to force the removal which as already mentioned can already be done by un-checking or not installing the plug-ins which report back as supporting video.

so i'm sure you're not liking what i'm saying or the option i've added, but that's all i can provide.
Old 11th December 2013, 23:07   #26
lordsilver

Sincerely, now I know the solution from Koopa, how to disable that by select those options (with audio only)... so it's not a big problem for me. I'm thinking about the other users and it was easier like that.

PS: At version history you forgot to add 5.66 updates (there are only 5.65 and 5.666).
Old 11th December 2013, 23:10   #27
DrO

and that is why i've added for the patch build the means to force remove it (as has been requested numerous times). if i had the time to do it then sure i'd work through and do what's being asked, but as Winamp development is already meant to have stopped (and i'm only doing one more build due to the number of issues caused by broken language packs), the 'no_video=1' option along with what's suggested is the best that can be done when it's raised less than 24hrs before a new release.

the 5.666 changelog is everything in 5.66 as well as what was fixed as part of the 5.666 patch builds.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support