Old 4th July 2005, 00:26   #1
ulillillia

MP3 player suggestions (not for computer)

I'm looking into getting a more worthy MP3 player. Do you have any suggestions? Here's what I find as most important (with importance factor given (10 is most important)):

Power (importance: 10 out of 10):
MUST have an AC adapter; // if it used batteries only, I'd be going through around 2 batteries per day on average :crazy: that's why it's a required must

Equalizer (importance 9.5 out of 10):
Minimum - 3 channels; preferred - 5 channels; strongly preferred - at least 10 channels; // an equalizer is of very high importance to me - it was the main point of getting Winamp.

Song count limit (importance: 9 out of 10):
Must not have any limits; // My current MP3 player only allows for up to 300 files, even if only 1 meg of disk space was used (on the CD), this is very annoying

Song navigation (importance: 9 out of 10):
Be able to jump between directories or a significant number of tracks at once; if it has searching only, I wouldn't look into it much; // pressing the "next track" button like 400 times can get very old and annoying in a short time which is why this is strongly preferred;

Quality support (importance: 8 out of 10):
16Kbps MP3 quality minimum strongly supported; // I use it a lot, though I occasionally use 8 and 24, depending on how the song sounds at each

Storage (importance: 6 out of 10):
Minimum - 5 gigabytes; preferred - 10 gigabytes; // enough to make my music run without end continuously for about 65 days (or 130; !) it'll take 5 gigs to store all my songs at a sufficient number of speeds and with a sufficient number of loops. 10 gigs for extra speeds available and for more loops, mainly speeds - both allow for room for future songs

Brand (importance: 0 out of 10):
No preference at all; // as long as it does what it's supposed to and comes with what I want, brand doesn't matter.

Budget:
Target of about $100 max, though I'd like details before I set the limit as I have no idea how much they could cost.

This is the best-looking one from a search I conducted on my own. What do you think (compared to my importance specifications)? I can't tell, however, if it comes with an AC adapter or not, although it does support the use of one. The other thing missing are speakers, but that's no big deal - Kmart has them for like ten bucks. I'll sell my old MP3 player on Ebay. I can get a fair return for it as it's in relatively good condition (used a lot, but has no damage or anything). Bought for $50, it could sell quite well for $30.

void BlueWater() {water.color=blue; while(GameRunning) {if (fox.pos == InBlueWater) {fox.air--; FoxDrown(fox.air);} else {fox.air=1800; fox.flags = WantsToGetWet; } WaitFrames(1); }} // My top favorite thing in 2D Sonic (as C)
ulillillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2005, 00:29   #2
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

Get an iPOD...

and some bodyguards...

Music is Life, Love and Happiness :|: Life is Music. Serren - 1985 - 2005
Religion? Religion is a Blasphemy against humanity - From the film What the Bleep do we know

siggy link So stumbling? whats it all about
Smeggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2005, 00:34   #3
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

Iriver everytime.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2005, 00:49   #4
Kieran Walker

http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/sho....asp?model=267

You might also look for a Rio Karma... 20 gigs with most--if not all--of the features you're wanting. They've been discontinued from manufacture, but you can still find them at online retailers or on eBay. However, if you do get a Karma, try to get it with an extended warranty--they're somewhat notorious for hard drive issues.
Kieran Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2005, 04:08   #5
biggman15

I don't know if it has everything you want... But I have my Eye on a Creative Zen touch.... 20Gb....

biggman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2005, 04:39   #6
dlichterman
Forum King

your not gonna find anything thats 5 gigs or 10 gigs for under $100, but I really recomend my Iriver H320 or the newer H10.

Iriver's play just about anything from VBR MP3's to VBR Oggs

just came back from europe....used the AC adapter.

H320 is 20 gigs
H10 is 5,6,and 20

have a look
http://www.iriveramerica.com/prod/hd/

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
dlichterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2005, 05:03   #7
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo Baggins
iRiver everytime.
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2005, 18:22   #8
Kieran Walker

The H10 certainly looks nice, but god damn, those things are the price of an iPod. o_O
Old 4th July 2005, 19:02   #9
mark
Forum King

Re: MP3 player suggestions (not for computer)

Quote:
Originally posted by ulillillia
Quality support (importance: 8 out of 10):
16Kbps MP3 quality minimum strongly supported; // I use it a lot, though I occasionally use 8 and 24, depending on how the song sounds at each
You've gotta be kidding me. afaik, MP3 doesnt allow bitrates that low. you sure you dont mean 16khz sample rate?
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2005, 19:15   #10
biggman15

Actually You can Encode As low as 8Kbps.... with Mp3.... But I don't know if winamp can.... I also don't know if I would go lower than 80Kbps... 64Kbps sounds like Crap....

biggman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2005, 19:26   #11
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

more likely you meant 160kbps ??

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2005, 20:38   #12
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran Walker
The H10 certainly looks nice, but god damn, those things are the price of an iPod. o_O
well those are the jukeboxes. If you don't need all sorts of pretty screns and crap, and only need like 512 megs of space, then get somethign from here >> http://www.iriveramerica.com/prod/ultra/
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2005, 20:45   #13
mark
Forum King

get a second hand h140 off ebay and put rockbox (www.rockbox.org) on it instead of the iriver firmware. Its been in development for only a few months and IMO allready has surpassed the stock firmware for features. Heck, its even got a gameboy emulator!
Old 5th July 2005, 08:02   #14
dlichterman
Forum King

i just flashed my h320 and I can watch movies!!!!!

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
dlichterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2005, 17:48   #15
Timbaland

I just bought a 20gb iRiver PMP, I'm very happy with it. It can play any video file after converting (i think) and wma, mp3, etc..I think I paid around $350 for it on ebay.

So far I got about 17gb filled, I wish I would have bought a 50gb
Timbaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2005, 21:00   #16
mark
Forum King

i have my 40gb iriver filled. I plan to upgrade it to 60 or 80 GB soon
Old 5th July 2005, 22:10   #17
Kieran Walker

I'm planning on finding a 30-gig HDD for my Rio Karma when I've got the funds to do so, but only because they use such crappy hard drives in the first place and I'm afraid of it shitting out on me. I've still got like eight gigs of space left on the sucker...

I guess I've simply grown attatched to this thing. =P I'd rather replace the hard drive than just buy a new player.
Old 5th July 2005, 22:19   #18
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

I had two Karmas before i became fully fed up with them.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2005, 22:41   #19
Kieran Walker

Perfectly understandable, Bilbo. I only got this thing in the first place because it was dirt-cheap ($170 for a 20-gig MP3/OGG/WMA/FLAC player? INSANE!), and while it hasn't actually given me any problems in the time I've owned it, some of the horror stories I've read about their hard drives have put the fear of god in me.

It's a shame, really--they're nice players. The interface is great and it's got some nifty features. The fucked up Hitachi hard drives just kill the thing, though.
Old 6th July 2005, 04:45   #20
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by biggman15
I don't know if it has everything you want... But I have my Eye on a Creative Zen touch.... 20Gb....
Bought one earlier today.

I havent had much time to mess around with it, but it seems quite good so far. Battery life is supposed to be excellent (24 hours continuous playing 128k mp3), which was my main reason for choosing it over an ipod.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2005, 04:48   #21
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Quote:
Originally posted by Atmo
Battery life is supposed to be excellent (24 hours continuous playing 128k mp3), which was my main reason for choosing it over an ipod.
Wow. Good to know something other than the sony XXX -HWWMASDFwhatever has good battery life.

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions