Old 10th February 2011, 02:48   #1
Son Of Kyuss

.MKV Files in Winamp

Hey forum, whats happening!!??

I've been downloading various T.V shows recently and some of them have come down as .MKV files. When i try to play these in WinAMP i just get the audio track, no video at all. I have tried other players, but it's a pain in the ass when we sit down to have a Stargate or Supernatural season session and have to change players for every other episode!! I love using WinAMP and have done so for many years, everything in my Library is played through it, so if anybody knows a no-bullcrap method of getting these .MKV files to work, i'd really apppreciate it. Thanks in advance peoples.
Son Of Kyuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 02:52   #2
Son Of Kyuss

By the way

I'm currently using WinAMP version 5.601 although it says 5.56 in the "About WinAMP" tab in "Help". I've got VLC Player and DivX Plus etc etc,so..... Thanks
Old 11th February 2011, 04:09   #3
CJ_Man

You may already have the required codecs if the DivX bundle installed them.

Try just adding MKV to the Directshow filter list in Winamp:

Go to Options - Preferences - Plugins - Input. Highlight Nulsoft Directshow Decoder and press Configure. Then add ;MKV to the end of the list and restart Winamp.

If that doesn't work then you either don't have the codecs or, if Windows7, Winamp can't select the correct one.

Let us know the OS version if you still can't play them.
CJ_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 03:06   #4
Son Of Kyuss

Thank you, thank you!!!

Thanks, did exactly what you suggested above and it's worked perfectly. Will the same work for Xvid (MPEG 4 Part 2) files also??? Btw i'm using Win XP Home SP3. Thanks again for your help ; )
Old 13th February 2011, 13:29   #5
CJ_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Of Kyuss View Post
Will the same work for Xvid (MPEG 4 Part 2) files also???
As DivX/Xvid files normally have an AVI extension Winamp should play them out of the box if the codec is present. Occasionally you may come across one with a DIVX extension, you can add that to the Directshow filter list if you don't want to rename the file.

For MP4 files (generally H.264) see the first paragraph of my post here: http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...62&postcount=2 The rest is about Windows 7 so don't worry about it.
Old 13th February 2011, 19:17   #6
turpinator

I'm having this exact problem, but adding it to direct show won't work. I am running Windows 7.
turpinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 14:08   #7
wanchoo

Thank you. Added ,MKV and the Video started playing beautifully but still no Audio. Kindly help a little bit more to receive the Audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Man View Post
You may already have the required codecs if the DivX bundle installed them.

Try just adding MKV to the Directshow filter list in Winamp:

Go to Options - Preferences - Plugins - Input. Highlight Nulsoft Directshow Decoder and press Configure. Then add ;MKV to the end of the list and restart Winamp.

If that doesn't work then you either don't have the codecs or, if Windows7, Winamp can't select the correct one.

Let us know the OS version if you still can't play them.
wanchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 15:10   #8
CJ_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanchoo View Post
Thank you. Added ,MKV and the Video started playing beautifully but still no Audio. Kindly help a little bit more to receive the Audio.
The video is probably using either Dolby (AC3) or DTS audio. If you are lucky these codecs are installed on your system but not enabled.

I don't know what codec set you are using but if it includes the ffdshow audio codecs then you should be able to find an entry for this from the Start menu.

In ffdshow under the Codecs section you would set AC3 to liba52 and DTS to libdts.

If you can't find anything like this then you can download a stand-alone AC3 filter from: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AC3_Filter.htm

Hopefully this will be all you need.
Old 6th May 2011, 04:07   #9
wanchoo

I downloaded and installed AC3_Filter but there is still no sound. How do I enable the filter for Winamp? In the Plug-ins Nullsoft Matroska Demuxer v0.7 [in.mkv.dll] is enabled. Thank you for your help.

I am eager to play mkvs with Winamp because it gives the best video display amongst all the other media players. TIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Man View Post
The video is probably using either Dolby (AC3) or DTS audio. If you are lucky these codecs are installed on your system but not enabled.

I don't know what codec set you are using but if it includes the ffdshow audio codecs then you should be able to find an entry for this from the Start menu.

In ffdshow under the Codecs section you would set AC3 to liba52 and DTS to libdts.

If you can't find anything like this then you can download a stand-alone AC3 filter from: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AC3_Filter.htm

Hopefully this will be all you need.
wanchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support