Old 13th May 2010, 05:48   #1
xLordRADx

Winamp isn't Reading ID3v2 Tags

Windows 7 64
Winamp 5.572 x86 with default plugin setup
iTunes 9.1.1.11

I just installed Winamp after using iTunes for some time. I imported my music into Winamp, but when I sort media in Winamp it is distorted as it's not using the information from the ID3v2 tags (where iTunes stores and reads information).

When I "View file info" on a distorted (not how it was in iTunes) file, it appears that Winamp displays the information under "Basic Info" tab, but ignores the info under the "ID3v2" tab. How can I get Winamp to read the ID3v2 info instead?

If you need more info let me know, but I figure this is a matter of a simple settings switch that I can't seem to locate.
xLordRADx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 09:36   #2
ujay
Forum King

Prefs > Input plugins > Nullsoft MPEG decoder > ID3 Tags > ...

ID3v2 should be set as default I think. If not, are you using a 3rd party plugin perhaps.

Otherwise :

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=161361#specs

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 22:52   #3
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
check your tags with mp3tag

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 08:12   #4
xLordRADx

I just realized upon further investigation that the only files that appear to be affected are all in one album (at the top of my list which is why I assumed it was more prevalent). I can manually edit these files easily as it's only one album, so I'll consider the case closed. If you really are curious about solving this bizarre issue anyway, feel free to read on:

My plugin list is attached. It should only be the default plugins except for the (One for Nunz I just installed). I checked out the mpeg decoder and it doesn't have a default tag selection, but the checkboxes for reading ID3v1, ID3v2, APEv2, and Lyrics3 tags are all checked.

When I checked the tags in mp3tag, the album in question doesn't even show up at all.

What's more, when I manually edit the basic info it updates it and then changes in the playlist view. But when I click "Copy to ID3v1" under the ID3v2 tab, the proper info is copied into both the ID3v1 and Basic Info tabs. But when I hit OK, the info is not updated in the playlist view and when I return to the File Info screen, the Basic Info tab is no longer updated.
Attached Files
File Type: txt my_plugin_list.txt (8.7 KB, 192 views)
Old 14th May 2010, 17:50   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
mp3tag is different from winamp, in it will only show you "one layer" of tagging at a time, while winamp will merge them.

so lets say you had id3v1.1 tags filled out, and also had blank id3v2.3 tags, EXCEPT for RG tag values. in that case, winamp merges that info to show you in ML, but mp3tag will only display the v2.3 layer, which would be blank (except for RG).

your album was broken, i have that too. it goes 1-6 then a bunch of silent tracks you don't need to rip, then tracks 98 and 99. ripping silent tracks isn't a good idea b/c as you found out, its easy for apps to get confused.

also, i use mp3tag to strip ALL tags EXCEPT v2.3 as that keeps it simple. in winamp, you can tell it in prefs (in_mp3) not to create new v1.1 tags.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 20:24   #6
xLordRADx

Cool, thanks!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags