Old 27th November 2013, 01:47   #1
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

winampforum.com roll call

post if your on the new board. show its sturdiness that others wont mind stepping over. its not signing anything away its just a username and email. it works so far. im grateful for it. winampforum. 90 members already cant be too many hold outs. im just curious who is there.

Omit Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 02:45   #2
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Yuuuup.

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 17:09   #3
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Mhmm.
tuckerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 19:23   #4
simon snowflake
Skin Wizard
(Forum King)

Location: Gent, Belgium. does anybody know where the toilets are?
Send a message via ICQ to simon snowflake
moi

but still I'm sad

don't be a thief of your own life.... : DEXYD - Digitally EXpressing Your Dreams

Join the Winamp Enthusiasts Forum - Join the Winamp Skin Love facebook group:
simon snowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 19:40   #5
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

<<

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 22:01   #6
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Me, me, me!
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 01:04   #7
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 04:27   #8
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
I probably will. Will the new site eventually take threads from the old site, or do we have to search archives?

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 09:28   #9
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

If things keep going the way they're going, nothing will be transferred from old forums to new.

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 16:28   #10
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

It would be nice to at least see if Q's million count copy could be made, but I could see that being very complicated due to needing user accounts.

Old 28th November 2013, 16:36   #11
DrO

the initial thoughts are to make it be a clean start so a lot of crap isn't carried over and just filling the db for no reason (as is the case with this one already). plus due to account aspects and a slew of other things (as technically need permission of the user who posted things), it'd just be too much hassle to import stuff. and i've already made a suggestion on how the 1mil thread can be maintained in essence.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 14:36   #12
SugarD-x

Send a message via ICQ to SugarD-x Send a message via AIM to SugarD-x Send a message via MSN to SugarD-x Send a message via Yahoo to SugarD-x Send a message via Skype™ to SugarD-x
I'm there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
the initial thoughts are to make it be a clean start so a lot of crap isn't carried over and just filling the db for no reason (as is the case with this one already). plus due to account aspects and a slew of other things (as technically need permission of the user who posted things), it'd just be too much hassle to import stuff. and i've already made a suggestion on how the 1mil thread can be maintained in essence.
You guys could set up a subdomain on the site with a read-only copy of these forums, (assuming you have access to the data to export it). Then just allow login, but block registration. That way there is always an accessible archive that cannot be changed.

SugarD-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 01:07   #13
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
I'm over there as well, they binned my continuation of "Oh Noes!!!" I guess I won.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 21:02   #14
webthing
Forum King

How long should it take to get verification email for our new home?

Thanks!
webthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 21:13   #15
webthing
Forum King

Not activated yet.
Old 29th November 2013, 21:25   #16
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by webthing View Post
Not activated yet.
Check your email spam folder.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 22:28   #17
webthing
Forum King

Oh there it is.

So many freakin tabs and menus with gmail......... bah, bah, bah.

Nice to meet you ryerman!

Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 10:34   #18
Aminifu
Forum King

However things turn out, I'm glad to be in at the start of the new board. Arriving late, I missed so much on this one.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2013, 14:00   #19
fc*uk

well this is going to make things difficult...
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2013, 15:03   #20
InCUbuS-94

Yep

It cannot rain forever
InCUbuS-94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 00:35   #21
Kigen

Might as well.
Kigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 01:22   #22
hgnis
Hobbit Humper
Forum King

Activated, 1 post, no CT.

I am so important I feel the need to let it be known like a liberal discovering the internets for the first time. Uh hur hur hur. I also wash myself with a rag on a stick.
Realitybites
<3
hgnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 03:12   #23
sgtfuzzbubble011

Indeed.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 03:27   #24
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnis View Post
Activated, 1 post, no CT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfuzzbubble011 View Post
Indeed.
Well pull your fingers out, bitches. CTs are DIY at the new place.

Old 3rd December 2013, 04:42   #25
hgnis
Hobbit Humper
Forum King

And boobs?

I am so important I feel the need to let it be known like a liberal discovering the internets for the first time. Uh hur hur hur. I also wash myself with a rag on a stick.
Realitybites
<3
hgnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 09:02   #26
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^Whore...Oh, sorry....
I'm there and here..til this bar closes
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:14   #27
JHarland

Not that many places use it any more but thought I'd offer it to you guys if you want it seeing as this forum runs 3.x...

A forum I run migrated to XenForo so I have spare vBulletin 3/4 license if you want it for the princely sum of £FREE.

Also, can't believe I registered an account on here in 2003 and never posted. Looks like I've been missing out!
JHarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 12:01   #28
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Jesus, what a first post. I'll ask the new forum site's admins to contact you about that license offer.

Welcome to the forums

Old 3rd December 2013, 14:45   #29
DrO

it's not worth the legal issues (as well as other issues) with trying to keep copies of 13yrs of a lot of crappy posts. anything that needs to be kept / migrated can be but a clean start and not having the old baggage makes things a lot simpler in the long run (and most of the information on here needs updating anyway so it's a bit dumb to just blindly copy and clone things that aren't correct / relevant).
Old 3rd December 2013, 21:12   #30
rockouthippie
Banned

I estimate the size of the sql for this board to be somewhere around 1.3 GB not counting any parts that aren't public. Yeah. It's too much bloat even if AOL would give you the database. I could be wrong. It could be more. I was just looking at what Internet Archive spidered off it.

Handling a database that large is not something you can do with a toaster. My guess? Most of a Xeon quad core... RAID 1 $150/mo or so from the cheapest provider I can think of. Even a new board is gonna get rapidly spendy. Databases over 200MB get clumsy. Google cloud? You're probably advised to stick squid between your forum and the world. You will need to modify the way Vanilla handles it's cookies. Run the cache on a ramdisk. Might be 3-4X as effective as going barefoot.

http://www.squid-cache.org/
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 02:08   #31
SugarD-x

Send a message via ICQ to SugarD-x Send a message via AIM to SugarD-x Send a message via MSN to SugarD-x Send a message via Yahoo to SugarD-x Send a message via Skype™ to SugarD-x
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
I estimate the size of the sql for this board to be somewhere around 1.3 GB not counting any parts that aren't public. Yeah. It's too much bloat even if AOL would give you the database. I could be wrong. It could be more. I was just looking at what Internet Archive spidered off it.

Handling a database that large is not something you can do with a toaster. My guess? Most of a Xeon quad core... RAID 1 $150/mo or so from the cheapest provider I can think of. Even a new board is gonna get rapidly spendy. Databases over 200MB get clumsy. Google cloud? You're probably advised to stick squid between your forum and the world. You will need to modify the way Vanilla handles it's cookies. Run the cache on a ramdisk. Might be 3-4X as effective as going barefoot.

http://www.squid-cache.org/
I don't know about it being quite that large. Maybe in cached form as webpages, yes...but not as a SQL database. That is pretty much just organized text.

It would just be a matter of importing it into a new forum installation and setting it to read-only+blocked registration, and you're done. Anyone with the correct administrative permissions could physically do it.

@DrO: Legal issues aside, I mean just as a read-only archive for future reference, since obviously some things that we would want to keep could potentially be lost. All this would do is provide a place where old, (outdated or otherwise), information could be seen, if need be. A notation could even be added at the top of it, stating that the information is not maintained, and is only available as a reference to old posts.

As for the legal issues, assuming AOL drops ownership of Winamp completely with its shutdown, it might not be a problem. It may require some authorization, though, as was mentioned. This is just an idea, however. I'm not saying it should replace the new, fresh forum that you have already set up. Even with an archive like what I'm suggesting, I would still recommend using the new one as the place for continued conversations.

Old 4th December 2013, 02:25   #32
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarD-x View Post
@DrO: Legal issues aside, I mean just as a read-only archive for future reference, since obviously some things that we would want to keep could potentially be lost. All this would do is provide a place where old, (outdated or otherwise), information could be seen, if need be. A notation could even be added at the top of it, stating that the information is not maintained, and is only available as a reference to old posts.

As for the legal issues, assuming AOL drops ownership of Winamp completely with its shutdown, it might not be a problem. It may require some authorization, though, as was mentioned. This is just an idea, however. I'm not saying it should replace the new, fresh forum that you have already set up. Even with an archive like what I'm suggesting, I would still recommend using the new one as the place for continued conversations.
it's not that simple as everyone is forgetting about users rights against what they've posted which is why it's basically a no-no (as i know i've never given permission for my stuff to be scraped but there's bugger all i can do about it now which has pissed me off).

and there's already a tonne of hidden and archived sub-forums on here that no one cares about or finds relevant which is how most of the data on here that can be accessed is also. so yes i can see why people want to archive and save everything but when most of it is duplicates or just crap that isn't needed, it's just a waste of time and resources to keep dealing with it.

plus as i've already mentioned, everything has been scraped to death so despite the issues relating to that side of things, the posts are still going to be accessible by means. but you cannot just dump the format of one forum into another without having to convert it or having to do a lot of processing of things. as i suspect the chances of a VBB export are slim to none and having been subject to 2 aged versions of it, i don't want to have to have anything to do with a VBB setup (but that's my opinion on things).

if information is still relevant then just that can be done as new posts / wiki items / etc and keeping things relevant as there's then going to be people debating what is or isn't relevant and my own view is anything relating to / applicable to the 5.66x release and not having to deal with anything earlier is all that is needed (but i'm sure that'll be viewed as being wrong).
Old 4th December 2013, 06:33   #33
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
/poke
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 09:50   #34
JHarland

Registered as James, finally got a chance to get a more normal name

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
and having been subject to 2 aged versions of it, i don't want to have to have anything to do with a VBB setup (but that's my opinion on things).
An opinion shared in many places, I migrated my two (medium sized, 600k+ posts) boards from VB to XF and haven't looked back
JHarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2013, 20:22   #35
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
my scraping efforts - as a test...clocked the forums in at around 3/4 GB worth of data. Most of that is bloat...as it is likely around 1/4 of that in MySQL or MSSQL depending on how it was written. In either event, as DrO pointed out ... most of the content of the forum is worthless with a few gems of information actually worth saving...(though few and far between) << not including this post...lol.

1001skins |
That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk. - Mr. Jones
garetjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2013, 22:21   #36
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

I still think the old threads should be preserved if nothing more than nostalgia's sake. Even though they're worthless to just about everybody, I still like reading posts I made 8, 9, 10 years ago. I've spent thousands of hours on the forums throughout all of my teenage years, so it sucks to see that large chunk of my life go away like it never happened.

I'm late to the party, but I just signed up on the new forum. Now, I await for my CT to be transferred over. I didn't pay good money for it 5-6 years ago for nothing.

This is a sig of some nature.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2013, 00:47   #37
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

You can do it yourself now; it's part of the User Control Panel. Except yours might have a price tag on it.

Old 8th December 2013, 01:01   #38
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
I still think the old threads should be preserved if nothing more than nostalgia's sake
https://archive.org/search.php?query....winamp.com%22

Internet Archive is in the process of a complete spider for the wayback machine. We will live forever in petabyte storage.

Here's some grabs at Internet Archive

Winamp wiki:
https://archive.org/details/Wiki.Winamp.Com

Winamp.com. the forums... no skins.. I think this panic grab has most of it in one place.

https://archive.org/details/Winamp.comPanicgrab20131120

Nullsoft downloads. Binaries for Winamp, shoutcast etc.

https://archive.org/details/Download.nullsoft.com

I posted this on winampforum too, but since I think those pinheads have as much chance of survival as a fart in a blizzard....

A warc is basically a zip. Extract.. you get a mirror.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2013, 01:40   #39
SugarD-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
I posted this on winampforum too, but since I think those pinheads have as much chance of survival as a fart in a blizzard....
Last I checked, one of the "pinhead" Administrators over there was a Developer for SHOUTcast and Winamp...

Old 17th December 2013, 03:14   #40
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions