Old 12th April 2011, 14:32   #2961
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooky560 View Post
You've not seen the price of our gas have you?
damn, and i thought 137.9p for the 36l of diesel i needed on friday was enough (last time i spent over £50 on a fill up was ~10 years back with a vectra estate which took loads, not what i expected with my i20).

though that's really weird that diesel is cheaper than unleaded, is usually the other way round

-daz
Old 12th April 2011, 14:58   #2962
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Bought my car an extra 2kw.

Old 12th April 2011, 22:27   #2963
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Why one in mono? And where do they go..in the car?
Old 13th April 2011, 01:46   #2964
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
I assume he has one amp for each channel, and he bought a backup in case one fails. Friend of mine has a similar setup (one amp and equalizer per channel).

Old 13th April 2011, 02:34   #2965
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
I'm guessing:

150w X 4 = 150 watts for each of 4 midrange/treble speakers in the car.

The 1200w X1 = 1200 watts for a separate subwoofer of some sort which provides the thumping bass which requires more power to produce rather than higher pitched audio

Don't forget to live before you die.
Old 13th April 2011, 10:21   #2966
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
I'm guessing:

150w X 4 = 150 watts for each of 4 midrange/treble speakers in the car.

The 1200w X1 = 1200 watts for a separate subwoofer of some sort which provides the thumping bass which requires more power to produce rather than higher pitched audio
Yep, pretty much.

I have a set of Focal Utopia 6.5" components to run from the 4 channel amp. The mids are going in the front doors, tweeters in the A pillars. Having the woofer and tweeter so far apart can cause some issues, so to compensate I'll need to be able to do separate time alignment for both the left/right and between the mid/tweeter, which is why each component needs a dedicated channel.
Old 21st April 2011, 11:10   #2967
_Marian

A mobile phone!
Old 21st April 2011, 11:35   #2968
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Good price, great eyeliner.
Old 21st April 2011, 11:42   #2969
DrO

6 bags of the 60L version of http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.js...isSearch=false (got to love 3 for £10 offers)

-daz
Old 21st April 2011, 12:20   #2970
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Garden? Great! Flowies or Veggies, or both?
Old 21st April 2011, 12:38   #2971
ujay
Forum King

All I'm gonna say is he's been buying a lot of Grolux lamps and tomato fertilizer lately Widdy.

So it'll be catnip

UJ
Old 21st April 2011, 12:40   #2972
gaekwad2
Foorum King

It's supposed to help with mood swings.
Old 21st April 2011, 12:59   #2973
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Disney's "Tangled" on blu-ray off of Ebay (I only wanted the blu-ray disc and case, not the DVD and digital copy discs, too). Best Disney animated film I've seen in a long time.

Old 21st April 2011, 13:20   #2974
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widdykats View Post
Garden? Great! Flowies or Veggies, or both?
bit off both though the new lot is for mixing in to make up the extension to the veg patch though used another 5 bags in sorting out the new flower bed to separate the other part of the garden. so i think that's 18 bags i've bought since starting on the whole gardening thing when i moved in last year.

just have to level out the remaining area outside of the beds, dig out a new mini-flower bed behind the shed for whatever is going to go there (clematis and / or honeysuckle it seems as it's not the most sunny of spots and covers things off a bit then a green shed), remove a few more things (i.e. move to the bottom of the garden which is a dumping area at the moment) and then sort out ordering a load of gravel for the path and area that's to be levelled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujay View Post
All I'm gonna say is he's been buying a lot of Grolux lamps and tomato fertilizer lately
hehe, but how did you know we're growing tomatoes? especially after making loads of green tomato chutney last year we thought we'd do it again as we've almost used all we made. though we're trying out comfrey for the liquid fertiliser to see how that works out.

-daz
Old 22nd April 2011, 10:57   #2975
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ And maybe some "nip"?
Don't tell mike_db I think he's becoming a "slacker".
Old 22nd April 2011, 20:28   #2976
rockouthippie
Banned

My vintage Kenwood smoked another set of speakers. If I get too carried away it will smoke these too. When the old school specs say 165w per channel with .01% THD, it's to be believed. Maybe I should put in some fuses. This is about the 5th set in 20 years.

http://alatest.com/user-reviews/spea...3,35/?sid=1001

I do have a subwoofer that I haven't been able to melt. I got them as remanufactured from Polk audio direct on ebay..... $250 for the pair. That's a price I couldn't pass up.

What I could never figure out is the complete destructiveness of this amplifier when you have a couple too many beers and want to rattle the windows. These Yamaha ones I destroyed a couple months ago were typical. The crossovers are burnt. The tweeters are dust and one woofer and one midrange lived.

Oops!

Last edited by rockouthippie; 22nd April 2011 at 21:40.
Old 22nd April 2011, 23:30   #2977
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Nice purchase!
Old 23rd April 2011, 01:59   #2978
fc*uk

Might be going out on a limb here roh, but did you ever consider monitors instead? Personally, I'm partial to m-audio; but to each their own.

Monitors are generally better built and can take more of a beating; might just stand up as well as those Polk's you got
Old 23rd April 2011, 03:12   #2979
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

These days you can find very small monitors with flatter response and much higher power handling at comparable pricing. The only "problems" with them are limited bass response and less aesthetic appeal. Your sub would take care of the bass issue, and they hide easily, killing the idea that they're not matching of a decor.

That said, I still like my primary speakers to be the ridiculously oversized floor-standing Infinitys, so I guess I can understand someone wanting to buy towers/floor-standing speakers. They're great in the "cave" but in the living room I just have tiny satellites and a hidden sub - gotta keep things civil up there.

Old 23rd April 2011, 09:46   #2980
rockouthippie
Banned

These aren't big clanking floor speakers. They are 36" high... only 7" wide... and a foot deep... They are supposed to take 140 watts per channel. Usually, unless I get stupid, 100 watts/channel is a plenty good listening level. Mostly, I use about 20 watts.

They are supposed to be pretty flat with -3db points at 47hz and 24khz. I am inclined to think that the criticisms about low bass response are liable to be exaggerated. That is, with my listening taste and old age. That is, with the vast improvement in speaker technology in the last 20 years. I think it's a safe bet that I paid a lot more for some speakers I hooked to this old bruiser that weren't as good.

For home theater, I'm really more inclined to go with something like one of those "theater bar" systems. Maybe something like this:

http://www.buy.com/prod/sony-ht-ct15...215476519.html

I was an early adopter of home theater (with this prologic receiver) and 5 speakers, a subwoofer and all the freaking wires.... Unless you built a theater room with in-wall speakers, it looks like crap. Dust it... clean wires... hide wires.... it pretty much sux.

My geekee thing:

This receiver has a dedicated obsolete, mouseless, keyboardless, monitorless, fanless, driveless, underclocked computer running Ubuntu. Music comes from the windows file share of my desktop or web sources. It boots from a 2GB USB drive. It has 2GB of ram. I use juk for the player. It does seem to be ok to run an Athlon 3000 at 800 Mhz with no fans. I even pulled the power supply fan. It's a 300 watt supply. "Tiny" seems to soak about 30 watts. Not even a video card to power.

I access "tiny" with TightVNC using any handy computer. Basically, it pops up gnome in a window. Usually I use my laptop to control "tiny", but any of the computers in my lan can do it too. What will show in the living room is 2 speakers, the receiver and the hookup is 5 wires. 2 speaker. 1 RCA.... 2 power cords..... Clean.... I hide the computer in my buffet cabinet. Long gone are the 40lbs of tape deck, eq, turntable and CD player this receiver originally sported. Long gone is an all day project on a biennial basis, getting all the dust out of the components.

My "played once" CD collection lives in a big cardboard box with desiccant. I don't have to dust that either. Now to replace all my books with a Kindle..... I wish....

I don't like a TV in the living room. One of my small bedrooms serves that purpose. With a 50" plasma TV about 9 feet from my face, I like the viewing. The living room is for talking, reading and music listening. Home theater in a 10X12 foot room is .... well... not a priority.... I think one of those theater bars would be just fine..... if I even need that... the TV is sorta "surround".

It would satisfy my allergy to freakin' wires hanging everywhere, while probably improving the sound experience.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 23rd April 2011 at 12:04.
Old 23rd April 2011, 12:01   #2981
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

A kindle will probably be free by the end of this year, at least to Prime members. If so, I plan on putting a shitload of books on it and giving it to my mom.

Old 23rd April 2011, 12:09   #2982
rockouthippie
Banned

May 3rd, it's coming in an ad supported version for $114:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/11/a...s-lot-of-enti/

I'm not sure that's worth $25, but the price is moving in the right direction.

Don't forget a zillion free public domain books from Gutenberg. It reads those just fine.

I'm thinking next years Christmas present to me. Anybody have a nook? Some people have told me they like it better. I have played with my brothers Kindle.... have not touched a nook.
Old 23rd April 2011, 12:31   #2983
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
May 3rd, it's coming in an ad supported version for $114:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/11/a...s-lot-of-enti/

I'm not sure that's worth $25, but the price is moving in the right direction.

Don't forget a zillion free public domain books from Gutenberg. It reads those just fine.

I'm thinking next years Christmas present to me. Anybody have a nook? Some people have told me they like it better. I have played with my brothers Kindle.... have not touched a nook.
Quote:
All that said, here's the key feature that Amazon's seemingly overlooking: an option in the software to pay back the $25 a customer skimped on to do away with the ads on their ad-supported e-reader.
Yeah, there totally wont be a hack for that...

Old 23rd April 2011, 13:41   #2984
rockouthippie
Banned

It kind of looks like it wouldn't be necessary, if the advertising is only on the player home page.... like this article says....

It would stand to reason that ads would be relevant..... probably selling books like the ones you own... I don't think ads are always a bad thing.... just if they get in your face too much...

Monthly subscription fees for anything and contracts is something I try to avoid. I added $10 here and $15 there for this or that and got kind of alarmed at my monthly budget.... spent on things like a "free" cell phone....bla... bla...

I don't even have cable tv. I have an antenna. I have Netflix, which you can cancel and resume at will. I try to avoid a lot of monthly bills. If things get a little lean here or there, it's nice not to have locked yourself into a bunch of obligatory spending.
Old 23rd April 2011, 13:52   #2985
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Getting books for [REDACTED] isn't hard. Especially on [REDACTED].me.

Old 23rd April 2011, 14:22   #2986
rockouthippie
Banned

I buy a little fiction and a lot of educational stuff. I still like COB for doing business. If I have the cash, I buy the book. If I don't, I wait till I do. I haven't pulled out a credit card in years. Borrow? Only for real estate. Nice running cars are $5K cash. I pay insurance a year at a whack.

Nickels and dimes get to be big money unless you watch it.
Old 23rd April 2011, 20:56   #2987
Titus Lorkson

I recently bought a neat little guitar tuner that I can clip on my guitar's head.

What I really like about it is you can tune the instrument regardless of the amount of surrounding noise, for it is designed to capture the vibration of the guitar's body.
Old 23rd April 2011, 21:45   #2988
rockouthippie
Banned

That sounds like a very cool thing.
Old 24th April 2011, 04:47   #2989
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I use one that's shaped like a credit card (and isn't much thicker). It has the choice between a built in microphone or a string pickup. The mic is good for non-string instruments, and the pickup is perfect for tuning in a noisy situation.

Old 24th April 2011, 06:37   #2990
rockouthippie
Banned

I have a 1st string tuning fork and tune the rest from that. If it's not noisy, I can probably tune faster than with a tuner. I haven't really looked at tuners in a long time. Technology has probably made my legacy of tuning by hand obsolete.
Old 28th April 2011, 11:49   #2991
samiran12

i just bought my self an android phone....its cool buddy...
just awesome application...google rocks...
Old 28th April 2011, 23:12   #2992
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I almost forgot; you can tune the geek's way:

Click here to get the frequency of the pitch you're going to tune. Then click here, enter the correct frequency and play it. Or, you could try this for guitars.

Then, tune your instrument by ear.

If you don't have luck tuning by ear, use this. It's a pretty nice online tool.

Old 28th April 2011, 23:15   #2993
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
Logitech x-530 speaker system. $50 from a guy on Craigslist.

There is no sig.
Old 28th April 2011, 23:30   #2994
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^cool
*comes complete with a hooker to assemble..void where prohibited*
Old 28th April 2011, 23:45   #2995
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
I wish...

There is no sig.
Old 29th April 2011, 07:53   #2996
rockouthippie
Banned

This page will give you Eeeeeee! 5th fret of each string until you hit the 2nd string. That's the 4th fret.

http://guitar.about.com/od/beginners...e_guitar_2.htm

I have received the LSI300's from Polk. Very, very nice to jazz and classical. Not quite cogent with Rock. Maybe too good.
Old 29th April 2011, 23:23   #2997
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

You should post some pictures!

Old 29th April 2011, 23:33   #2998
MrMagick
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to MrMagick Send a message via AIM to MrMagick Send a message via Yahoo to MrMagick
Droid X woooo¡ I'm a mobile machine now.

It's so nice to have the whole internet in my pocket. I would have thought it would weight more...

-~MrMagick~-
Old 30th April 2011, 00:02   #2999
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

^good to see you back after all this time off!

Last bought, groceries and gasoline. I haven't bought anything interesting in a long time. I have been trying to save money lately.

Old 30th April 2011, 02:08   #3000
MrMagick
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to MrMagick Send a message via AIM to MrMagick Send a message via Yahoo to MrMagick
Thanks for the welcome back. I decided to get a smartphone so I could tether my laptop. And it's freakin sweet!

-~MrMagick~-
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions