Old 9th April 2011, 18:02   #41
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeder7001 View Post
I ended up getting the Cannondale F8 a couple hours ago. On sale for $400.
Pictures please!

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 02:27   #42
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
I will have pics tomorrow. Gotta go to work in a bit.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2011, 01:05   #43
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

I will have pics eventually. Being kind of lazy right now. Just did something like a 10 mile ride around downtown Austin. Pretty fun. Nice day out too.

There is no sig.
Old 18th April 2011, 01:44   #44
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Any planned accessories?

Old 18th April 2011, 04:40   #45
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Not really. Already have the cup holder. I do need lights and an air pump.

There is no sig.
Old 28th April 2011, 00:40   #46
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Here is the bike. I finally took a pic of it last night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0051.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	48771  

There is no sig.
Old 28th April 2011, 01:22   #47
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I had forgotten what a nice new (clean) bike can look like. It looks really nice. Remember that disc brakes make it look really expensive and might make people more willing to steal, so keep it in safe places.

No kickstand? Good. They add weight, get in the way, and catch shoelaces.

Lights? Good, just be careful not to let the bike fall over or wreck; lights can break easily. I learned this the hard way.

Pump? Get a tire change kit too. If you plan on biking far from the point of origin, buy a pump and kit that can be easily mounted or carried.

Also, I recommend two more things: 1.) some kind of speedometer/odometer/computer. They're not too expensive, and the odometer will keep you motivated - gives a sense of accomplishment. 2.) a good comfortable backpack, preferably with reflective material on it. This makes it so you can carry all you want without having a bunch of attachments on the bike that could get stolen.

It looks like a pretty nice ride. Does it seem to fit you well so far?

Old 28th April 2011, 01:45   #48
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

So far I can do a 10 mile ride a lot more easily than before. This is even with all the hills and such around here. Less tiring. A lot more sweating from the humidity though.

There is no sig.
Old 1st May 2011, 05:23   #49
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

As long as you keep the water intake up you should be good. If you sweat all day on an extremely long ride, you may need to replenish sodium lost from sweating, but that's usually only necessary for overtime mill-workers. Salt pills, canned soup, processed meats, or even junk food will take care of that!

Old 6th May 2011, 09:07   #50
rockouthippie
Banned

It's a weird thing to think about, but if you are going to be riding a lot (like miles of commute) you want a different seat.

I have a Serfas E-Gel anatomic design gel seat with the cutout. You want the cutout. I know it looks funky. A big reason..... a common cycling injury in men that do a lot of cycling is testicular cysts. That's because normal saddles cut off the circulation. It's also just a lot more comfortable.. less chafe... less sweat...keeps your undies from riding up.

I know a couple guys..... anyway... you didn't want surgery on the sack. This problem seemed all too common when I was in college. A lot of my neighbors did an 18 mile round trip every day to college. That a couple of them admitted a rather personal problem makes me think the problem wasn't insignificant.

The one I have is about like this. I also added a shock seat post and higher handlebars. I got some torx security bolts and the tool to keep the seat from going missing. My old back doesn't like hunching over.

http://www.rei.com/product/736824/se...er-saddle-mens

Finding a bike light that isn't a piece of shit is problematic. I paid $20.. Check Target or K-Mart. This one is extremely durable and good.

http://www.amazon.com/Bell-iPulse-LE.../dp/B001TZO5UQ

My taillight came from this kit. The headlight sucked. I dropped it once. It disintegrated.

http://www.amazon.com/Bell-Night-Tra.../dp/B00005BXUU

The tail light from this kit is very decent though. Make sure your light takes normal batteries. Some of them use N cells. You might not find them at the convenience store if you need a quick replacement.

Another thing that will save you grief is polyurethane tire liners. You stick them between tube and tire. It doesn't do much for the ride comfort, but I have gone from a monthly flat tire to no flats in a year. I don't carry a pump or an extra tube anymore.

Quote:
a good comfortable backpack, preferably with reflective material on it.
I prefer a rack and bags. Backpacks suck especially if you are carrying anything heavy.

Need bags? These Inertia Design ones are awesome. I have 2. I can haul 100lbs. Tough! My grocery store is about a half mile. I push the bike right in the store. Shop into the bags. Pull the bags off and give them to the checker. Push the bike right into the kitchen when I get home. It's always faster than using the car. Sometimes it's a lot faster... given traffic that I don't wait for.

http://inertiadesigns.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=308

Finding a decent bike pump is a bitch. I've gone through a bunch. This one is worth it's salt. I usually run 85lbs of air.... this one stands up.

http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-JoeBlow.../dp/B000FICB90

How much do I wish I had read instead of wrote this post? How much fall apart shit did I buy before I figured out what was worth having?

Happy cycling.

I'll part with a couple safety tips. Always expect cars to pass you and then cut you off making a right hand turn into a parking lot. A mirror is a hell of a good idea. I've heard cyclists bitch about this tendency of drivers. Yeah, it would be their fault.... it also isn't a great comfort when you are picking gravel out of your ass. Mostly, people do signal before they run over you. Watch that right turn signal.

Never pull up next to a semi truck at a stop light. If they turn right, you're meat. They won't see you and the trailer will run right over you. Be extremely careful riding in cross walks. That's especially if you are on the wrong side of the road.

Don't ride down the street on the wrong side. You wouldn't think this would be as dangerous as it is. It's dangerous.

As much as I hate this, it's probably not a very good idea to listen to your tunes while riding. Hearing the cars can save your ass too. If you must... right ear only and not very loud. Riding "deaf" is very dangerous.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 6th May 2011 at 12:06.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 12:21   #51
rockouthippie
Banned

Two more. Stay as left as you need to stay on a narrow street with parked cars. If you slow cars down.... so what... Don't get "doored" by people getting out of a car. The drivers might honk. They might flip you off.... so what....

Get a good horn or at least a bell. Mainly I use mine for signalling pedestrians on the sidewalk. It seems to work better than yelling "heads up" or "on your right/left".

I have in 40 years of cycling had near misses in every way I mentioned here.

A guy should probably wear a helmet. I usually don't. Frankly, I think buckets are mainly good for carrying your head home after you've been killed.

I think it's kind of weird that no one includes this stuff in every bike manual. I learned all this stuff by trial and error. It must be by the grace of God that I never got badly hurt.

My worst accident was catching the front wheel in a storm grate. Mostly they don't use the kind that can catch a bike wheel any more, but you might still occasionally see one.

I know I'm probably sounding like old pa' about now, but like I said, I haven't crashed in 15 years. That beats the odds. Crashing sucks
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 09:00   #52
General Geoff
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to General Geoff Send a message via AIM to General Geoff
Congrats to deeder on his new purchase! Welcome to the Cannondale Club. I picked up an F4 back in 2007, she's a great ride.

General Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 17:22   #53
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

The Cannondale is a much better ride than my Diamondback ever was. Feels a little mushy sometimes but still really nice.

There is no sig.
Old 10th May 2011, 17:43   #54
cooky560
Major Dude

Send a message via MSN to cooky560 Send a message via Yahoo to cooky560 Send a message via Skype™ to cooky560
Is it just me or are bikes getting ridiculously expensive?
I've seen bikes in the city that are worth £1100 + and you can get a reasonable motor bike for that round here...

Cooky560 - Making Pointless Posts since 8/12/ 2002

WWW.
Victory Requires no explanation, defeat allows none.
All that Evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing
cooky560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 18:26   #55
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Not sure. I've seen a few $1500 bikes around here. Mostly those hybrid types. Walmart has some cheap mountain bikes for around $90 I think. I paid $75 for one a while back. My old Diamondback was $330.

There is no sig.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions