Old 4th February 2013, 17:24   #1
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
This is neat

So I found this:

I think this car sure is pretty, the wing on it is way too big but the rest is pretty sweet.

Anyways, the paintjob/whatever it's called is what I'm most interested in.

How is this effect achieved? What is it called? I always thought that something like this would be cool but never thought it was a possibility... Anyone know what it takes to get this?

I'm thinking its a car wrap.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 22:50   #2
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Carbon fibre.

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 02:27   #3
rockouthippie
Banned

I would agree.... not paint... finished carbon fiber. I don't think you could replicate the look.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 11:24   #4
QOAL
[STILL a retard!]

I'm betting on it being matte paint job.
If that was carbon fibre then the body work would be worth an incredible amount of money.

count!last.fmdastylishplanner
QOAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 12:49   #5
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

After a bit of research I found that there are places that do "decal car wraps" that replicate the carbon fiber look.

I would believe that this car is completely made of carbon fiber but it's not, just a normal production car with some very expensive bodykit work. It has the whole carbon fiber look around the whole car including the cab.

I could be wrong though. Either or it's a pretty sweet looking toy.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 5th February 2013, 22:12   #6
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

I never got why anyone would want to pay for advertisement stickers on their car.

The car looks okay but I don't think that that front end would be road legal here (not safe for pedestrians).

And it looks like 99% of the work was done on the outside of the car and no effort was done to the engine.

so... meh.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 23:03   #7
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
You'll probably hear the fart running down the road. I hate that "fart" sound imports make when they're "suped up".

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 23:58   #8
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-db View Post
So I found this
finders, keepers.....
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 01:13   #9
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
It looks most like cast vinyl if you ask me, but I could be wrong.

Things I have that are made of graphite look a little like that (pool cue, fishing rod, etc), but carbon fiber could look like that too.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 10:41   #10
katalog13

what's the make and the model?
katalog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 18:43   #11
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

katalog13:
If you check the source of the image and continue from there, it gives you this:
http://www.ssr-wheels.com/gallery/po...essor-SP1.aspx

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 23:42   #12
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

I agree that I'm not a fan of fart canons and "fast & furious" looks for cars. But I will openly admit that I actually like the look of this little toy.

But my main concern is the carbon fiber look, I've always been a fan of matte paint jobs this... It just made me freak out, not sure why, don't care, if I could have this done to my vehicle (if it fit the look and style of the vehicle) I would do it.

@Katalog: Here's the car stock: http://www.egmcartech.com/wp-content...on_FRS_001.jpg

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 7th February 2013, 09:34   #13
katalog13

Warrior of the Light, thanks, didn't notice it.
Old 7th February 2013, 10:21   #14
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

I agree with whomever said that the "shopping list" running down the front of the door is tacky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior of the Light View Post
And it looks like 99% of the work was done on the outside of the car and no effort was done to the engine.
I'm not sure how you can tell what may or may not have been done to the engine from that one photo.

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 16:23   #15
katalog13

Old 7th February 2013, 16:24   #16
katalog13

Old 7th February 2013, 22:58   #17
rockouthippie
Banned

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-and-info-news

In the UK you'll get this car as the Toyota GT-86 but it's the same car except you can't order the Scion FR/S with a turbo in the states.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 01:37   #18
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

[rant]

You know, it's such bullshit. Really. Why the hell is the US not selling superchargers and turbos, stock? Yeah, you might find a couple obscure exceptions, but why aren't they a lot more common?

Honestly, I think it's pressure and incentives from the oil companies. They don't want the much more efficient design of forced induction. They'd rather you drive a bigger, weaker engine.

Toyota makes some of the finest turbos and superchargers in the world and they won't allow any of them on their dealer lots in the US. Total and utter bullshit. Toyota can create a less than $40,000 vehicle that accelerates from 0-60 in only 4.4 seconds. By the way, it is a very utilitarian and heavy full-sized pickup truck, still with the original manufacture's warranty (Tundra reg. cab 4x2, with TRD supercharger and exhaust, more expensive if you order all the other TRD stuff with it which doesn't affect acceleration). You get over 500hp with the fuel economy of a 250hp vehicle. But you can't buy, order, or finance it at a dealer on original purchase. You have to buy the non-supercharged version first, then retrofit it. Why?

[/rant]

Old 8th February 2013, 10:28   #19
mastermind1212

wow , this looks nice. Very beautiful car.
mastermind1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 18:52   #20
General Geoff
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to General Geoff Send a message via AIM to General Geoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
You know, it's such bullshit. Really. Why the hell is the US not selling superchargers and turbos, stock? Yeah, you might find a couple obscure exceptions, but why aren't they a lot more common?

Honestly, I think it's pressure and incentives from the oil companies. They don't want the much more efficient design of forced induction. They'd rather you drive a bigger, weaker engine.

Toyota makes some of the finest turbos and superchargers in the world and they won't allow any of them on their dealer lots in the US. Total and utter bullshit. Toyota can create a less than $40,000 vehicle that accelerates from 0-60 in only 4.4 seconds. By the way, it is a very utilitarian and heavy full-sized pickup truck, still with the original manufacture's warranty (Tundra reg. cab 4x2, with TRD supercharger and exhaust, more expensive if you order all the other TRD stuff with it which doesn't affect acceleration). You get over 500hp with the fuel economy of a 250hp vehicle. But you can't buy, order, or finance it at a dealer on original purchase. You have to buy the non-supercharged version first, then retrofit it. Why?
You're looking at it from the wrong perspective. A better question is why don't automakers sell bigger, naturally aspirated engines outside of the United States?

The answer is that many countries outside the U.S. heavily tax vehicles and their use based on engine displacement alone. When you can get the same power out of a smaller engine with forced induction, of course automakers are going to go that route, when a naturally aspirated engine of larger displacement is going to be taxed more.

Fuel economy has little to do with it.

edit; a Ford Mustang GT can do 0-60 in 4.4 seconds for right around 30k. There are a few other cars which have similar performance for well under 40k. what's your point about the truck? You can pretty easily get a full size turbodiesel from one of the big three to do that too, for 40k.

General Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 14:58   #21
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I have yet to see a factory produced and warranted turbodiesel pickup that can go from 0-60 in less than 6 seconds, let alone less than 4 and a half.

I see what you're saying about the taxing though, although I do think fuel economy has a lot to do with it, since displacement and fuel economy have a (perhaps not absolute, but) strong correlation. Perhaps that would be a good idea here. Ford is finally turbocharging their "Ecoboost" engine for the F-150. I feel that is a very good decision that needs to be followed by competitors and bought by consumers.

Old 23rd March 2013, 15:14   #22
General Geoff
Major Dude

The supercharger you claim is made by Toyota is in fact made by Eaton. It is simply sold by Toyota as a supported aftermarket product. It is not factory produced.

I'm certain you could have a Ford dealership soup up a factory-stock powerstroke truck to the point where it will run circles around a 500hp Tundra. Not sure how much it would cost to have a dealership do it vs a third party.

Internal engine displacement itself has little to do with fuel economy, in the grand scheme of things. Power band, gearing, vehicle weight, and aerodynamics are all more important.

Old 23rd March 2013, 15:31   #23
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Your point about displacement makes sense, but when you keep those other things constant, displacement does make a big difference, although I could see if you keep displacement constant, the other things make a difference too. It's all important.

I didn't realize it was Eaton, especially since TRD seems to slap their name on it with no mention of Eaton. I looked it up though and found out that Eaton makes these for quite a lot of companies. But, that is true with all kinds of components, not just engine parts, and this pulls things away from my original point.

My original point in the "rant" was separate from all of this. I was just wishing that more major automakers would include forced induction as an option on their stock, warranted products, on the sales lot, regardless of who makes them. I didn't mean for this to become a brand war.

Old 23rd March 2013, 15:42   #24
General Geoff
Major Dude

No brand war intended, I quite like some of Toyota's products.

The forced induction thing is as much economical as anything else. All else being equal, a turbocharged engine is more expensive to manufacture than a naturally aspirated one, due to increased complexity of the turbo system and the need for more durable internal components to handle the additional strain of forced induction.

In Europe and Japan, due to the onerous taxes levied upon engine displacement, that additional cost is more than offset by taxes. Here in the states, it's not, hence the more widespread use of larger, naturally aspirated engines. The benefits of modern forced induction are, however, making their impact on the American market (slowly but surely).

Old 23rd March 2013, 17:04   #25
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I tend to slip into fanboy mode when it comes to vehicles, but in this case I'm rather upset with my favorite brand because of this. If I'm willing to pay extra to make my wife's grocery getter a V6 for extra power, who's to say I wouldn't pay the same amount extra to get the same power boost for a forced injection 4-banger? Hell, Subaru gets 300+ hp out of their turbo 4.

When I bought her car (2011 Rav4), it was available in a 179hp i4 engine or 269hp v6 engine, and I opted the latter. I would have been happy with a turbocharged or supercharged version of the i4, and I would guess it would have been more efficient than the 6 with the same power. Would it have been similar in price? I'm not sure; what's more expensive, two more cylinders, or a forced induction system, keeping in mind money saved on fuel? Not sure. I'd need a brand that offers both to compare.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions