Old 23rd November 2013, 03:12   #41
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
I don't care what our new home is called so long as I can find the link before the shutdown. Lets get this rolling!

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 07:16   #42
beanboy89
(Major Dude)
isn't very custom

How about SMF?
beanboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 08:33   #43
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanboy89 View Post
How about SMF?
I've tinkered with SMF before, enough to say that I would definitely prefer PHPBB over SMF.

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 18:03   #44
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
Integrated or not; The host needs to be responsive and available for more than a handful of individuals.

BTW: I have been skinning since winamp released; in fact I released my first skin when winamp.com was shareware and only had a main screen that allowed you to change colors not necessarily items. - and I have seen iomega's name before though, as stated I do not know him.

Making choices for millions within a relative few individuals seems counterproductive...but, that is my two cents and as an owner of a competing site of course I am having problems with solutions that are not as 'inclusive' as say winamp.com in terms of features, downloads and content.

I know my host and my site can handle the visitor's, bandwidth and software. I have many contacts that want to help us with a solution and many others that are willing to fund/donate to a solution.

Just saying...

1001skins |
That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk. - Mr. Jones
garetjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 18:32   #45
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerm View Post
If you don't know who he is, then you haven't been here long enough.
I love people who assume things...it should, be the reverse in this case tuckerm...though; you didn't really get my 'conflict' with the response. Which is totally understandable given your reply.

FYI: My original name: thefusionbox | fusionbox - circa 1996-2000 (pre-aol)

1001skins |
Old 24th November 2013, 00:24   #46
rockouthippie
Banned

Look guys. With ZERO bullshit I can cover with fiber goodness anything that doesn't get me lawyer letters. This precludes using AMP, a registered trademark of Playsystems Inc. I'm not promising infinity or that I won't end up in the state mental hospital, but if I'm still alive I will likely still otherhave my backup server sitting on fiber in Berlin. It's got some 300GB extra.. It's a 1.8 Ghz X2 Athlon.

The only thing it's doing besides being backup is playing this shoutcast station

http://daisy.tvvoid.com:8000

Forums are CPU expensive and bandwidth cheap. Maybe a replacement in Google cloud would be a better choice. But hell, replacing any part of these forums is too much money to do for nothing and it's too much bullshit to get an eventual lawyer letter.

Why do you think the only guy who could do this in an afternoon without costing him much is goin'?

Is there something I can do without getting skinned? I'm sure some other equally capable webmasters are skulking around too.

If we can come up with something that makes sense and doesn't get me sued. I'm in. As far a forums go, the automated spam on any of platforms has been written for. It would be at least a bitch and a half to run a good "board". Any volunteers who really know what their getting into?

I like to paint, I'll paint you a picture. I'll paint your car. I'll paint your house. But I can't paint a dead turd.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 00:38   #47
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

My Server:
- CPU 4 Cores / 5.4Ghz
- 8GB RAM
- Scalable (Auto)
- Windows Server 2012
- SAN (300GB) - Upward Scaling
- Backup (300GB) - Upward Scaling
- Bandwidth = Unlimited
- Traffic = Unlimited
- MySQL5
- MSSQL 2012
- Static IP
- RDP & VPN
- SSAE 16
- Azure Cloud and Amazon S3 Integration
- SSL Certificate
- Network SONET OC3 DataFarm
- PHP 5+
- ASP.NET 4.5

Etc Etc.

1001skins |
Old 24th November 2013, 00:47   #48
rockouthippie
Banned

Are you volunteering? Or are you full of shit? You must be a webmaster to have something like that a farm so you'd know running a forum sucks shit. Are we having fun yet?. I'm serious R u?
Old 24th November 2013, 00:48   #49
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

I'm serious...though, at times I may be fos. In this instance, I'm offering up a solution as I have been saying all along.

I'm offering to host a solution...and even contribute my development, design and anything else that can be done...though, I'm against anyone other than the guys from the development group, moderators and etc being the admin of any new solution.

Everyone else (including me) should be users of said location.

1001skins |
Old 24th November 2013, 02:54   #50
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

garetjax: I think we have a fundamental difference of opinion as to what we're trying to accomplish. I'm trying to have these forums continue in some way, for those forum members who still want a Winamp Forums site to frequent. I don't know that the number of said members would even reach the thousands – definitely not millions. I'm not wanting to recreate winamp.com, are you?

In terms of control, as I've said already, I'm happy for our current leaders to continue in those positions. I'm just filling a perceived void – I didn't see anyone else rushing to give us a new place to go.

Old 24th November 2013, 03:10   #51
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

So everyone's aware, tuckerm and I are in the process of setting up PHPBB at the .net URL. Once it is closer to where we want it, the plan is to move it to the .com URL (i.e. replacing Vanilla) and better hosting.

Old 24th November 2013, 03:17   #52
rockouthippie
Banned

You have a place to go if I don't get a C&D for using AMP branding, It's 7PM. By midnight you could have as many resources as you need. I got a dual core bitch on a fiber line in Berlin. She'd love a forum. I've ran a BB. I'd volunteer,

But hell. Building a new web on obvious trademark infringement is screwed.

It isn't the 90's. You couldn't make Winamp now. It only lived because AOL bought it or it would have been sued out of existence.

Welcome to 2014.

Here is me. My ISP gets a letter from a lawyer claiming I am running webs in violation of a couple trademarks, infringing some copyrights and I have my dick firmly in my hand as a defense.
Old 24th November 2013, 03:21   #53
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

iomegajazz - I'm making no assertions; and meaning no ill-will. I'm very concerned due to the fragmentation that is with out a doubt going to be experienced.

In your world your solution seems perfectly fine...however, should I also create a skinloveforum.com for those not wanting to adhere to your ideals? Should I then create a winampplugins.com and etc etc etc.

Going off half-cocked seems a bit presumptuous at the moment. I want what is best for the majority of the users no matter the place they congregate to that allows for minimal impartiality and maximum exposure.

I'm only speculating and not defining a solution for anything...only offering advice and giving an idea of what I can contribute should anything be decided. Everyone here has a stake in what transpires here and I feel that people making a decision such as the one you have are pre-emptively setting up exclusivity for your 'group' of 'individuals'.

I am concerned...that is all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you'd like to setup a forum on 1001skins (under a different domain, under the same domain or would like to have php/asp.net/vbulletin/phpbb etc etc ...just let me know I can carve out plenty of room and processing for it.)

1001skins |

Last edited by garetjax; 24th November 2013 at 03:29. Reason: add
Old 24th November 2013, 03:30   #54
rockouthippie
Banned

I haven't seen a whole bunch of exclusivity brewing, What I see is some guys setting up some webs that won't do the job and will be killed the first time a lawyer sneezes. If whoever is doing it doesn't get bored first and finds out decent hosting costs money.
Old 24th November 2013, 03:45   #55
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Settle on a domain - winampforum.com or winampforums.com
I won't host anything in violation of Playsystem trademarks. If you will get me written permission to use the AMP trademark, we're in business. I would do some work to make this work. I don't piss in the wind.

Despite assurances I am 100% sure that Playsystems won't appreciate any dilution of the AMP brand. Any successful board will be a dead board.

I can send 480 video anywhere on the planet. I have the juice. What I don't have the right to do is infringe other peoples trademarks. I don't have the right to use WinAMP logos. That's copyright infringement.

Now... go grab ROH's posts about how to open your router or whatever... because I have CCL-zeroed everything I ever wrote here and you can do whatever.

But you guys can't xerox this web. And I don't see a percentage in trademark and copyright infringement. You might get away with that briefly. It's not something you should try to build a web on.

You might do some reading on the destruction of Stage 6, which wasn't as much of a tangle as the AMP brand. Remember kids... MacAMP is MaCast?

Call up Playsystems. I'll bet you a dollar they object in 30 seconds and do a 10 second quarter mile doing it.

If you guys scrape together a web that's a piece of shit and doesn't work,.. they might leave you alone...

If you guys can come up with an idea that isn't a crime, you have all the hosting you can use. I have ran a board before and am an agnostic sysop.

But what I'm looking at here is something that you'd just get to rolling and I'd get a nastygram and have to yank it. Seems like a lot of trouble for something I know is gonna get creamed the first time a lawyer gets bored.

I don't even think it would be cool to host skins w/o author permission. Find me some way to help without my legal dick hanging out... I'd help.
Old 24th November 2013, 04:08   #56
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

agreed...using Trademarks in a name caused 1001winampskins to be renamed to 1001skins. As the winamp name is trademarked as is the amp trademark. In either situation your ass is brewing for lawyer letters...I've dealt with those C&D orders before and they neither are fun nor especially helpful.

Despite assurances contrary to AOL not worrying about IP infringement rights; I'm pretty damned sure anything that could hurt their brand/imaging prior to a sale would be frowned upon quickly and decisively.

But then again that is what rockouthippie and I have been trying to tell you.

1001skins |
Old 24th November 2013, 04:25   #57
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garetjax View Post
I've dealt with those C&D orders before and they neither are fun nor especially helpful.
I think every webmaster has got those and they always ruin your day. Mainly a phone call to an attorney who is almost always a complete asshole trying to convince him not to sue.... which he really wasn't gonna do anyway... he was just being a prick...

Not my favorite activity.

My excuse for copyright and trademark infringementy here? Can't say I didn't know...
Old 24th November 2013, 12:44   #58
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
http://winampforum.com/ - Replacement Winamp Forums.
FYI the link doesn't work unless you append "index.php" but hey, either way, thanks for the heads up that any efforts towards installing and setting up new forum software would be pointless.

I'm fine with pointing my new "plural" domains to your site for 12 months i.e. until they expire, however it would have been fucking awesome if you and Pete could've said something. For example, rather than "we're working on something", maybe "we've started setting up a new site and have ~50 users registered" or something along those lines.

Old 24th November 2013, 13:02   #59
Aminifu
Forum King

That link works for me without appending anything. Just saying....

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 13:18   #60
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
That link works for me without appending anything. Just saying....
Well fuck me sideways: it doesn't work in Chrome, but does work in IE. Thanks for (just) saying.

Daz/Pete: I've now added a message to my .com page:
Quote:
The community-driven Winamp (Enthusiasts') Forums will continue at
WINAMPFORUM.COM/INDEX.PHP
which means that this temporary forum will soon be removed and replaced with a redirect to the new URL (note, there's no "s" in WINAMPFORUM.COM)

To those who have registered here, thank you for your support and desire to continue the Winamp Forums story. I strongly suggest you now register at the new site.
ROH/garetjax: I'm sorry you're so seemingly paralysed by fear of AOL smack-fu (How dare anyone use the suffix "amp" in a URL?) that creating a community forum based around a piece of software was beyond the pale for you both.

Tucker: Sorry your efforts were for nought, and thanks for being so willing to get stuck in to make things work.

"Winampforums.com is dead! Long live winampforum.com!"

Old 24th November 2013, 13:28   #61
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Well that sucks. I've been adding things in at the other place. At least we have a home now!
tuckerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 16:35   #62
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

gonna fire on in here as a lot of stuff is getting blasted out and nothing coherant is coming from it..

can the panic! Ok 20Dec is not far away but no need to have major panic attacks yet. Things will just get messy and any good will be lost along with any possible future for winamp (As we know it anyway)..

As for forum software? Plenty of free stuff out there but none (imho) are robust enough as vBulletin - if a licence is needed then no problem I can donate one of those..

next server... your gonna need something beefy..and dedicated - vps/cloud just won't cut it and your gonna need someone who knows there way around the back end of setting up a server. Plenty of managed stuff out there but it's way expensive so unmanaged is the more cost effective approach. Here you want reliable..
http://www.servermania.com/ < check them out.. do a search for reviews on them. I've yet to find one bad one! And there support is top notch.

So guys look at the logistics. Get some basic management structure sorted out. Ask who can do/provide what..

management structure? Yes really it will be needed
your looking at servers dedicated (With CDN capability) (Notice I said 'Servers not server?)
want to maintain shoutcast? Then your going to need funding
Forum software - vBulletin
yada yada etc etc

Otherwise everything is gonna be so fragmented that it will just not work. I saw that happen with a support project I tried to help out with for firefox. It got so fragmented with no real structure that it exists all but in domain name now...

before all that happens though someone needs to reach out to AOL and see what out position is. What we can do or not do (The legal bit)...

It's no good saying but hey - without us and without the community we built (Even though some of us haven't been here for an age) winamp wouldn't exist yada yada etc etcNot the point. They own the trademark. If they do sell to Microsoft you can rest assured that take down requests will appear - thats the way M$ have always operated..it would be rare if that didn't happen.

It would be great if someone from the powers that be or who can negotiate on behalf of the community with teh management/owners of winamp to come by and post and at least give us an idea of where we stand or what we can possibly do or not do..

just saying like - as it seems to be a bit of running around in a mad panic

i reckon someone should send a message up the chain of command so to speak and see what we get in return, see if we do have a voice or at least deserve a bit of respect for staying loyal all these years... instead of specualting and reading the rumours from [the microsft fan boys] TechCrunch....

My Tuppence worth anyway....

edit: jaz - least that seems to be a move in the right direct dropping the winampforums for winampforum...

Music is Life, Love and Happiness :|: Life is Music. Serren - 1985 - 2005
Religion? Religion is a Blasphemy against humanity - From the film What the Bleep do we know

siggy link So stumbling? whats it all about
Smeggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 17:59   #63
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Come on home.....

A short few days ago this new forum was launched and to be honest, it is starting to get comfortable. Join us now at our new home, take a look around and register today. I think you will like it.

Winamp enthusiasts forum
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 01:34   #64
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeggle View Post
gonna fire on in here as a lot of stuff is getting blasted out and nothing coherant is coming from it..
I seriously read that as you referencing your own post.

Quote:
edit: jaz - least that seems to be a move in the right direct dropping the winampforums for winampforum...
Agreed.

Old 25th November 2013, 01:42   #65
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iomegajaz View Post
Well fuck me sideways: it doesn't work in Chrome, but does work in IE. Thanks for (just) saying.

Daz/Pete: I've now added a message to my .com page:

ROH/garetjax: I'm sorry you're so seemingly paralysed by fear of AOL smack-fu (How dare anyone use the suffix "amp" in a URL?) that creating a community forum based around a piece of software was beyond the pale for you both.

Tucker: Sorry your efforts were for nought, and thanks for being so willing to get stuck in to make things work.

"Winampforums.com is dead! Long live winampforum.com!"
I'm not in fear of anything...I went through this before and gave you my thoughts. I was trying to help. You may interpret it as you will. As I said when I first posted; I mean no ill-will and am only trying to help.

I am not panicking, not freaking out...I have my own site I run; I'm quite content with the users that I have and the thousands of skins left in my care/hands. I will provide plugins and will provide a community for users of 1001 to communicate through.

Take care...and god speed.

1001skins |
Old 25th November 2013, 03:14   #66
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

All this and THEY KILLED RICHARD HARROW......
I can't take it I tells ya'.
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 18:55   #67
musicf8
Major Dude

Can't sign up

I'm having trouble signing up on the forums, I keep getting "You did not enter an email address. Please enter one." even though I have entered an email address. Tried different browsers, emails, etc...
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 22:01   #68
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Others having similar issues have found that their activation email has ended up in their Spam/Junk folders. Check there maybe?

Old 26th November 2013, 22:29   #69
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by iomegajaz View Post
Others having similar issues have found that their activation email has ended up in their Spam/Junk folders. Check there maybe?
It's not even getting to the point of registering and telling me to check my email. It's giving me an error as if I left the email address field blank on the signup page (and trust me, I didn't).
Old 26th November 2013, 22:43   #70
Tom

For anyone having troubles registering at winampforum.com try again the email issue has been fixed.

Tom
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 23:03   #71
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
For anyone having troubles registering at winampforum.com try again the email issue has been fixed.

Tom
It went through, thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 23:08   #72
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
You guys are trying to start a new board with an old idea based on a failing/failed forum. You are using failing/failed forum software to do it. Add that it's trademark infringement. Add that a lot of the ideas being floated are copyright infringement. Add that you guys aren't 12 anymore. Add that a couple guys who really could provide you with long term reliable hosting won't, Add that you are trying to make a forum around dead software, How to make a failed forum? Copy this one.

How to make Winamp even worse than it is. Keep AOL at the helm. I'd like to hop backwards 15 years too. Mainly that's so I wouldn't have to shave or look like the ancient mariner.

I'm not paralyzed with fear. I'm just not into flogging a dead dog. As far as I can tell, the new forum is run by a couple guys hoping AOL will take the burden off them. It doesn't have hosting. The theme is this failed board.

Meh...
Old 26th November 2013, 23:18   #73
DrO

it's never been stated it's a final solution but is being done as an available point to work from as there's no clarity on when this place is going away or even what the overall final outcome is and as such is better than having no common place to better deal with things. so if that's wrong, fire me... oh wait...

and the sections, etc were purely done as-is to then determine what can get culled / re-organised and all that fun stuff. they are not intended as being final and will be changed.

and with the points you're making, it's currently fine on what i've had agreed and if that goes sour, then i'm the one going to be raising hell. plus it's not like names / domains cannot be changed and who's to say namings are not already going to be changed once a better idea of the identity of things is determined?

and if you want to get into the fun of copyright infringement, all of the unauthorised scraping of the sites and forum posts without skin & plug-in authors and forum users permissions is a whole can of shit waiting to be opened - you may have given up your posts but the vast majority of us have not and if only for funds, i'd be trying to get mine removed as i don't want some tom dick or harry having archived copies of them.

and i know you're going to come back with something about all of it but i don't really care. it's just a means to base other things off and if you don't like it, no one is making you take part and you can do whatever you want to do and we'll try to do what we think is right and appropriate as a community based setup around a player and associated aspects _we_ like.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 23:29   #74
rockouthippie
Banned

You're counting on a couple things I don't see O. One is that this board isn't done Dec 20 regardless of whether you could possibly save Winamp. Look up the Alexa graph on this site. This thing is a fucking uboat going down.

Let's Xerox that uboat and try to make a community around it. Just to make it particularly miserable, lets make legal headaches for anyone willing to host it.

I really do wish you great luck. Really.
Old 26th November 2013, 23:46   #75
DrO

wonderful, roh is on a power trip again as you are just being a twat again (whatever meds you're taking are clearly not working).

i have clearly explained things above yet you're stuck in your little reality bubble and are not listening.

i know full well that traffic has dropped (hell i don't have to deal with as much spam anymore compared to what i used to do), that user numbers here and in general have dropped and all that - being on the other side of the fence, it means there's certain things i have a far better idea about then you have from your little web searches.

if you don't like how things are going, then here's the door, let me shut it after you...
Old 26th November 2013, 23:51   #76
rockouthippie
Banned

You aren't even committing to running a forum. If we can find some hosting. If by some miracle this board this board doesn't die Dec. 20. I'm willing to put up a board permanently and stay out of it's way.

You don't have a door to shut. AOL owns your door.
Old 26th November 2013, 23:55   #77
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
You aren't even committing to running a forum.
oh i'm not? get your facts straight first before claiming shit like that.
Old 26th November 2013, 23:56   #78
rockouthippie
Banned

If if's and but's were candy and nuts.

Buy some hosting in Malta. It's some insulation.
Old 27th November 2013, 00:48   #79
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Old dog, doesn´t eat, neither let others do..
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 01:04   #80
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

stop-gap is what is being talked about here...and I jumped before I thought...I must apologize for that DrO. I think there are some high emotions for what we all care about most. I for one know I am/was;

DrO - as I said in pm...my concern is mainly about who. Knowing you are the fundamental starting point and pressure behind your solution to these forums being down...I'm quite content.

I stand in correction of my original concerns; though they are an issue for anyone working on solution that involves winamp.

-Joe

P.S. I must say thank you for elaborating on your point and defining your role within this stop-gap measure.

Thank You.

1001skins |
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions