Old 14th September 2001, 19:35   #81
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

I'll wager a guess - 8.

I know that the team members each have a forum, but they aren't hidden, just buried. Then there is the MilkDrop forum. You needn't be specific, but are there other forums like milkdrop (wwwinamp?, etc.)
-=Gonzotek=-

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2001, 19:57   #82
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

you guys are taking this way too seriously. the way this discussion has panned i wouldn’t doubt that some have become physically ill over this. dj egg is right there are im sure already many "behind the scenes" forums. in my opinion (not that its respected, attentively considered, or that i care if it is.) it seems slightly inappropriate to make a backstage place for those without a stage in the first place. as a member your in the crowd, and the crowd isn’t that bad. someone here described the elite forum as a retard rock to hide behind while you talk bad about other members.

im sure most wouldn’t care if it did exist, personally i wouldn’t as long as people still came to the other forums. regardless of what your opinion is on this you shouldn’t take it so seriously it makes coming here less fun for you and everyone else.

it is just a forum you guys, and as long as you get to talk to people it serves its purpose as would any other means of doing so.

you cant hide from lamers, they are everywhere in life and eventually a lamer would gain access to your elite forum. without a fair reason to kick them out you would then petition an elitist's elite forum. it isnt that hard to overlook something you see as foolish and carry on with your life.

p.s. its no fun being un-lame all the time. everyone has thier lame moments.

Last edited by Omit Name; 14th September 2001 at 20:19.
Omit Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2001, 20:21   #83
Naamloos
Forum King

Nice spoken omit name!
Naamloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2001, 04:43   #84
griffinn
Court Jester
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to griffinn
Guess the "secret forum" is another of those good ideas that won't work for political reasons.

It's like the idea of using a literacy/intellectual/ethics test to screen out stupid/corrupt people so they can't vote in an election. It's a noble idea -- a democracy that's untainted by the stupidity of the vast majority -- but it's too prone to abuse and manipulation.

In the case of "secret forums", if you use post count to determine who is in, people start posting useless stuff -- one-smilie replies, LMAO!!! replies, flames -- so they can reach that target. And it's the lame ones who will be doing that.

But my previous views still stand -- a small number of narrow, yet unquantifiable, criteria would probably work, e.g. productive tech support warriors, beta-testers etc. Unquantifiable means lame people can't pump up certain statistics so they're "automatically" let in; but unquantifiable also means the mods need a deliberation process to come up with a list of members who fit those criteria. That's the key to the success of setting up such a forum.

The smiley slot machine! | Quotable Blog
griffinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2001, 14:42   #85
Budgie
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Budgie
Quote:
Originally posted by griffinn
Guess the "secret forum" is another of those good ideas that won't work for political reasons.

It's like the idea of using a literacy/intellectual/ethics test to screen out stupid/corrupt people so they can't vote in an election. It's a noble idea -- a democracy that's untainted by the stupidity of the vast majority -- but it's too prone to abuse and manipulation.

In the case of "secret forums", if you use post count to determine who is in, people start posting useless stuff -- one-smilie replies, LMAO!!! replies, flames -- so they can reach that target. And it's the lame ones who will be doing that.

But my previous views still stand -- a small number of narrow, yet unquantifiable, criteria would probably work, e.g. productive tech support warriors, beta-testers etc. Unquantifiable means lame people can't pump up certain statistics so they're "automatically" let in; but unquantifiable also means the mods need a deliberation process to come up with a list of members who fit those criteria. That's the key to the success of setting up such a forum.
Well spoken, griffinn, that is exactly what I think about such private forums as well.

I would say that selected experienced members, especially Tech Freaks, would be able to make Tech Support even better, as they would have the space without lamers interfering to talk about tech issues as well as exchange experience with each other. All in all, such private forums would make Tech Support even happier = More happy Winamp users!

Yet obviously, many members, mainly newbie & lame members, seem to be against the idea, as they exactly know that they would not have the chance to be member of such private forums. I think it's actually a shame how certain members act in this discussion - Like thinking it's all about being a member of such a private forum. But that's not the case - It's all about being able to make serious, intelligent discussions without lamers interfering. You can't be constructive with lamers destroying intellectual threads, posting ROFL, LMAO, one-smiley-posts, or stuff that totally does not fit to the rest of the discussion, pointless shit, so to say. Many, especially experienced & senior members who post for quite a long time now, can see the level of discussion constantly falling down, going down the hill. As sad that is ...

Of course, we could open an own forum somewhere else, but since majority of discussions in such private forums would be Winamp-related, I really believe such forums would best fit in here in the Winamp.com forum.

Many members seem to be very conservative here, not wanting any changes. That is pitiful.

Peace.

Please consider the Forum Rules before posting utter crap. Thank you!
Budgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2001, 15:06   #86
Psycho Puppet
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Psycho Puppet Send a message via Yahoo to Psycho Puppet
Private forums will benefit many experienced members but those members don't necessarily have to be tech freaks.

Also, Chev should be admin...IMHO.
Psycho Puppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2001, 15:55   #87
chiquita chad
Forum King

i think this is a good idea, i just dont like your criteria for members of the elite forum... with you're method, people like ElChevelle, Bizznatch, RM, SLK, and Mr Jones get left out... any of these people (and more) can make a community happier (like they're doing now). i suggest you either create a better criteria for people who allowed in, or shut up. b/c the forums will fall apart if theirs a hidden forum which 99% of the everyday posters cant access.

Artist Track
chiquita chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2001, 17:15   #88
steady puffin'

Quote:
Originally posted by Psycho Puppet
Private forums will benefit many experienced members but those members don't necessarily have to be tech freaks.

Also, Chev should be admin...IMHO.
you're ho? jk
steady puffin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2001, 17:25   #89
binary hero
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to binary hero
I reckon that a forum for experienced members would not DO anything, it would just split us up into two groups, and then the total number of posts would fall, then ppl would leave...
binary hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2001, 22:13   #90
Budgie
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by solarias
I reckon that a forum for experienced members would not DO anything, it would just split us up into two groups, and then the total number of posts would fall, then ppl would leave...
- Owie, that's exactly what newbie members would say about the suggestion for private forums. Complete bullshit!

The Winamp community won't be split up into two groups, as not more than approximately 50 people will be member of such Secret Winamp Elite Forum (that's what the original test forum was being called). Would you say that 50 people from over 40000 registered members would be worth being called split up - Besides, members of such a private forum would not post there solely, just occasionally. Treat it as a Backstage forum, just for experienced members that are not moderators. Also, the main discussion topic would be tech issues, in order to make Winamp users even happier.

Peace.

Old 16th September 2001, 05:34   #91
Revrick

Fudgie - Shut up man...you keep whining about newbies etc...

If it weren't for people that are new to the system how the hell do you have a system...So, find some other reason to denounce any given response by people. You are the exact kind of person that makes these threads rhetorical and mindless drool. Do me a personal favor and actually endure a little common decency when dealing with anyone...You narcissistic, self indulgent and fixated little brat.

The Privatization of any given forum removes the fundamental essence of forum conversations: To share and give information over to individuals that may benefit from the information existing amongst the pages. I hardly doubt anything conversed by elite members of a technical support nature have anything to hide from new or even experienced forum goer's. Technical Support after all even by nature is a learning process that everyone must be involved with or are you self proclaiming them to be god's. Because, I'm sure interesting to know how to fix some port definition errors with my own shoutcast server that I'm sure you tech guru's can answer that my development team cannot.

Also, I will divulge my non to recent alias just so you can understand my position. I was and am GaretJax, yes the same skin reviewer that went through winamp.com/skins. Do I find the real need for you Tech Support forum needed? No, I think its stupid beyond belief. Take it from someone that had spent the greater part of 5 Years Doing Tech Support both in online fashion and in phone call.

Our Web Support showed everyone everything and as a result people learned for themselves exactly what to do in any given situation. And when we 'Tech Support' were stumped by something we had hardly to say a word before someone else jumped in to assist in the situation. Now, I noted you as saying that the members of such an elite forum would continue to post frontstage (for the sake of argument) while my figures show by the Skin Reviewers that their postings front stage dramatically altered and there was talk about them vs us thing. This is the exact kinda bullshit that I'm talking about. You create another secret forum and you create a specialized group of people immediately that feel they are better than your average riff-raff. As far as I am concerned even if I were offered I would seek to make it go away and hopefully abolish it totally. My current philosophy is to make all available to everyone when and if you can make it available.

Your attitude is worthy of noting because, you already display that type of attitude....and before you say I am a newbie...brother you couldn't possible understand how ignorant you truly are. I have been with Winamp.com since its first days and I can prove that...Yet, I don't see new members as a contrite or degradation to the system...nor do i feel i have to hide away in a secret dungeon somewhere.

-Joe W. Garrett
Revrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2001, 06:12   #92
Forevever
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Forevever Send a message via Yahoo to Forevever
Hey you. Yeah you. You know the post you just read. The one above this one? Signed by J. W. Garrett? Read it again. In fact, study it for about 5 minutes before you click "reply to thread".

I garantee you missed something.

If anyone can find any of the skins I made please email them to Forevever@aol.com
I can't remember all the names but specifically hunting for Lascivious, and DEVOUR (compilation with Jax) and any in the Impulse series which had 6 total. Auriferous, Gilt, Impulse, Nadir, and 2 others I can't remember but you dig.
Forevever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2001, 13:49   #93
Budgie
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Revrick
Fudgie - Shut up man...you keep whining about newbies etc...

If it weren't for people that are new to the system how the hell do you have a system...So, find some other reason to denounce any given response by people. You are the exact kind of person that makes these threads rhetorical and mindless drool. Do me a personal favor and actually endure a little common decency when dealing with anyone...You narcissistic, self indulgent and fixated little brat.

The Privatization of any given forum removes the fundamental essence of forum conversations: To share and give information over to individuals that may benefit from the information existing amongst the pages. I hardly doubt anything conversed by elite members of a technical support nature have anything to hide from new or even experienced forum goer's. Technical Support after all even by nature is a learning process that everyone must be involved with or are you self proclaiming them to be god's. Because, I'm sure interesting to know how to fix some port definition errors with my own shoutcast server that I'm sure you tech guru's can answer that my development team cannot.

Also, I will divulge my non to recent alias just so you can understand my position. I was and am GaretJax, yes the same skin reviewer that went through winamp.com/skins. Do I find the real need for you Tech Support forum needed? No, I think its stupid beyond belief. Take it from someone that had spent the greater part of 5 Years Doing Tech Support both in online fashion and in phone call.

Our Web Support showed everyone everything and as a result people learned for themselves exactly what to do in any given situation. And when we 'Tech Support' were stumped by something we had hardly to say a word before someone else jumped in to assist in the situation. Now, I noted you as saying that the members of such an elite forum would continue to post frontstage (for the sake of argument) while my figures show by the Skin Reviewers that their postings front stage dramatically altered and there was talk about them vs us thing. This is the exact kinda bullshit that I'm talking about. You create another secret forum and you create a specialized group of people immediately that feel they are better than your average riff-raff. As far as I am concerned even if I were offered I would seek to make it go away and hopefully abolish it totally. My current philosophy is to make all available to everyone when and if you can make it available.

Your attitude is worthy of noting because, you already display that type of attitude....and before you say I am a newbie...brother you couldn't possible understand how ignorant you truly are. I have been with Winamp.com since its first days and I can prove that...Yet, I don't see new members as a contrite or degradation to the system...nor do i feel i have to hide away in a secret dungeon somewhere.

-Joe W. Garrett
First off, you really should behave yourself and stop insulting people, that is no good, dude . You should know that a serious discussion will be destroyed entirely when someone starts to flame a certain person.

Anyhow, I really don't feel like talking to someone who insults me, calling me a narcissistic, self indulgent and fixated little brat ... . How can you dare to insult me? You have a very lowly attitude, I feel pity for your little, insignificant mind!

People like you, lame forum lurkers, are the main reason certain experienced members need their own space to talk about stuff. People like you are the reason the forum discussion level is constantly falling. People like you make me physically sick.

I also was never talking bad about newbies interfering or disturbing in here. Newbies are cool, everybody started as a newbie, willing to learn. I love to help out newbies with their problems, that's why I basically hang out in the Tech Support forums, duh!

I was talking about lamers - Lamers don't know much about stuff they talk about, lamers talk shit, lamers destroy serious & intelligent discussions. Lamers piss other people off by posting pointless shit, senseless stuff, one-smiley-posts. The list is endless. And, as you said being with Winamp.com from the very beginning, that I seriously doubt, you should have actually noticed the level of discussion going down the hill lately ... So, obviously, you seem to be one of those lamers that actually degrade the level, otherwise you would have seen that, wouldn't you?!

You also said that you think that the Tech Support forums are useless. That is so ignorant of you to even think about that, just because you don't have problems with Winamp does not mean that nobody else does not have any either! Ugh, your attitude makes me sick!

Winamp is a very wide-spread, popular, and with no doubt, great program, but as any other computer program, it can cause problems on some configurations. How do you think people would act if there was no forum-based technical support, being done for free by other experienced users? They would be unhappy, as their problem would not be solved, they would use other programs ... A good coder of a popular program offers technical support, that's a service, duh! If you think that the Winamp.com tech support forums are worthless, well, then talk to all the thousands of happy users that have been helped with their individual problems in the tech support forums.

I can see, you have 12 posts, meaning that you did not serve the Winamp community any advantages at all - So you exactly know that you would not have any chance to be chosen as member of such private forums, thus bitching about it in here. Oh well, I can accept that of lamers, like you obviously are, but I can't accept the fact that you actually insult my person with your reply. That is very low, all I can is to laugh at your lowly attitude.

Other than that, both suggestions (the priate forum and the new titles) were not mine originally, they have been made by several moderators. All I do is to make my personal opinion about those suggestions public, bringing up decent and actually clear points. I said that many times before - You should read all previous posts thoroughly before talking shit in here, buddy!

My $0.02 here, I will stop now as I really don't feel like dealing with such ignorant, conservative, snooey and arrogant people like you. I have better things to do .

You better go back reviewing skins, being the best skin reviewer in the world, be the shit, we won't miss you here not posting .

Peace.

Last edited by Budgie; 16th September 2001 at 14:14.
Old 16th September 2001, 14:05   #94
Budgie
Major Dude

What is wrong with you guys in here? The creation of (another) private forum, to primarily exchange experience with technical issues, is nothing about being better than the rest!

Why do some guys here think that creating such a forum would split up the Winamp community?

Why do some guys here think that members of such forum will feel better and more special than the rest?

Why do some guys here think that being a member of such forums is everything?

Why do some guys here think that creating such a private forum will hurt the entire Winamp community?

All those questions I would like to get answered, reasonably.

Creating such a private forum will only help the community, making Tech Support even better, since the members of such a private forum will be able to freely exchange their experience with each other! Where else do you think this is possible, as every other pulic Winamp.com forum is accessible for all members, including lamers, who interfere and destroy such discussions???

Also, many private forums exist. Many of you don't even know about that matter of fact. Why don't you bitch about that, eh? ... Ha!

Peace.

Old 16th September 2001, 14:42   #95
chiquita chad
Forum King

Quote:
Also, I will divulge my non to recent alias just so you can understand my position. I was and am GaretJax, yes the same skin reviewer that went through winamp.com/skins.
Quote:
People like you, lame forum lurkers, are the main reason certain experienced members need their own space to talk about stuff. People like you are the reason the forum discussion level is constantly falling. People like you make me physically sick.
http://forums.winamp.com/member.php?...o&userid=26773 , obviously he is not a lurker

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....threadid=59116 , proves that he is not a lamer, but a well liked and valued member

Quote:
I said that many times before - You should read all previous posts thoroughly before talking shit in here, buddy!

Artist Track
chiquita chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2001, 15:11   #96
Matt
Banned

What was supposed to be a discussion of ideas for admin has turned into an argument. Budgie time to give over. The annoying members have won it. Killed off all hope of a real 'flame' free discussion.

This is not about 'newbies'. Everyone starts somewhere and note recently some newer members that have been useful to the forums and have provided us with some great posts.

It is more about a place for people to go where they can be free of all this (See this thread for example). Of course anyone can get invited. It's up to the member if they wish to contribute usefully here or just be annoying. (and being annoying is certainly not limited the newbies. Many members with a lot of posts are as equally annoying to some people.)

Also people invited would not post here any less. The test forum proved that.

As for you Revrick aka GaretJax did you not have access to the skin review backstage forum. Yes you did. That is a private forum and one you were happy to be part of.
I think that says it all..

It's a great idea but will clearly never happen now. In future we won't discuss it, just do it. No one will moan, complain, ask to join as they will have no idea about it.

That is all. I think it's time to finish this thread. :|
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2001, 15:57   #97
griffinn
Court Jester
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to griffinn
I guess it's too easy to polarize a community these days.

Many of you reacted as if admission into the "secret forum" will be determined by dick size, and you'll be grossly insulted if you're not invited.

[the squinty-eyes, head shaking smilie]
griffinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2001, 15:58   #98
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

In answer to my question on page 2, how many secret/hidden forums already exist which aren't accessible via the forum home page:

2 x defunkt forums:
Justin's YadaYada & The Random Rumor Mill

18 x Archived Forums
Where old threads were mass moved for backup/storage
(prior to vBB v2.0.1 & server upgrade)

20 x NS Team member forums

4 x Milkdrop Forums

Skin Review Team Backstage

Backstage (mods & admin)

Total = 46

Revrick = garetjax : Registered 26/04/01 : posts 727

More info regarding his recent plight can be read here:
http://64.12.38.241/showthread.php?threadid=59116
Includes a poll too

garetjax is also a member of the Skin Review Team Backstage,
although he has requested/threatened (?) to leave/be removed (?)
However, how he can talk about the inclusion of a Tech Support Backstage Forum in such a way is surely a sign of hypocritical double entendre?

Yes, there should be a place for the experienced technically-inclined members to discuss such matters. This can only be beneficial to the whole winamp community. Certain matters need to be discussed professionally in a private group environment. This will prevent little arguments from breaking out in the public tech forums, where it has been known to happen that some people end up disputing what the proper answer should've been. There are also one or two issues that no-one seems to know the proper answer to, and even I admit that I don't like to admit my ignorance in a public forum, as I'm sure many fellow members will agree. Such matters should be discussed out of the public eye, thus resulting in a much more accurate and professional output overall.

Let's face it, the main purpose of these forums is to provide Winamp-related technical support. Of all the 40,000+ members, only about 300 or so are actually active regulars. Most of the rest had no choice but to register in order to ask their questions and some of these have only ever posted once or twice and may never need to post again.
I must also iterate that these people are not essentially to be considered as the archetypal newbie. A newbie is someone who has just started to use computers or a certain program (in this case, Winamp). Just because you are listed as a junior member does not necessarily imply that you are a newbie. Many people have used Winamp since day one and have never needed to post on the forums before, and therefore there are bound to be many people in the Winamp community out there (as in users of Winamp) who undoubtedly have far superior technical knowledge than the vast majority of forum regulars.
Newbie is a derogatory term and should not be used, imho. The use of such terms hardly encourages new members to participate and contribute without the fear of being stereotyped.
All members of this community are created equal and should be treated with the exact same amount of respect as which you'd expect them to show for yourselves.

The simple solution would be to create a subsection in TechGen and simply call it Tech Support Backstage. This would not be an elite forum as such and there would be no need for people who cannot contribute in a positive way to be included. We already know who the relevant people are, and anyone new who impresses equally would also have been considered for inclusion.
Oh, and contrary to some peoples' beliefs here, all admin & mods have access to all forums by default.

However, thanks to all the misinformed, misguided & negative response by members, mods & admin alike, it doesn't look like this forum is ever going to come into fruition. Therefore it will just be a case of "business as usual", nothing to see here, move along, thankyou.

The Egg.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2001, 16:07   #99
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I back both Matt and DJEgg here!
I've nothing to say that they haven't except to label Garetjax AKA Revrick a hypocrite.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2001, 16:52   #100
Revrick

El...Mate I see nothing wrong with you defending the request...but, as stated before I see a whole other issue with actually doing something like this. And if you see me as a hypocrit big damn deal...I see myself as someone that actually spoke my mind. BTW: I did not choose to change my name here because, I wanted to 'hide' I chose my new alias because, I saw and experienced the same things that I mentioned in my previous post as a Skin Reviewer and I did not like it. So, I dropped out of being a reviewer...of my own accord. We after all are a team of people that all collectively should support each other and the product for which we are all here. But, hey I'm a hypocrit remember...???

You can see me as you like El, that is your right by all means.
[Edited]
Its also, worthy to note that every review I did carried the following tag: Skin Review Squad - GaretJax
and my previous forum name when I did do reviews was - GaretJax...
???

Additionally, I didn't threaten to leave I just thought it was time I did in light of the way I felt people were responding to 'regular members' and even me...

To answer you DJEgg your right I guess to an a certain extent I may seem hipocritical, I was a member of the skin review team and as such I used the backstage. But, in that I found out how it changes the collective group from the rest and how it defines the them vs us persona of individuals that would be apart of it. My issue isn't if this people deserve to meet in private etc, its that a place like this would create a sense of animosity. And as such I felt that perhaps giving over my best opinion of such a place was warranted in my own opinion. At first I would have been eagerly done with this and moved on...However, a response was that I am a newbie...and others were as well so we have no conceptual about what happens here etc. That my viewpoint counted very little because, of my time associative with this forum etc. People have a right to submit their suggestion without being termed a newbie. It was asked of us to put 'pen to paper' about this issue yet the response to disagreement was always referred to in most cases as a newbie response. That however, is untrue and even if it were true these people have as much say as the guy with a million posts. But, your right to some extent I am, I guess a hypocrit...for that I apologize...However, it is the exact thing for which I was awakened to the kind of situation that will occur with you privatize a group of 'ELITE Members'.

-Joe W. Garrett
[End Edit]

Last edited by Revrick; 16th September 2001 at 17:17.
Old 16th September 2001, 17:21   #101
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I never said you were hiding behind an alias. The hypocrite title was given due to your abolishing Private forums when you participated in one yourself. If we do away with private forums, all of the backstage forums, Nullsoft member forums, and Milkdrop forums must be deleted as well. I agreed with Matt and DJ and had little else to add. It would only add to the rhetoric, thus clogging this thread even more.
I've stated my argument for private forums and don't wish to explain myself over and over on the topic. It's obvious that a mutual resolution can ever be reached lending to the coclusion that it's not necessary to sway everyone to reach a single conclusion. Some like the idea, some don't. I can live with that.
Old 16th September 2001, 17:33   #102
Revrick

So, can I El and I meant no ill will to anyone else...I was expressing my thoughts in more detail...it seemed as though if you were not on the side of Budgie that you were identified as a newbie. So, I responded in kind to that stereotypical response from him. I do apologize if you took it out of context etc, I have nothing but respect for the moderators and people that do assist in Technical Support, however I wanted to express my own feelings on the subject at hand...and as we are all human we tend to get overly expressive when we are facing a perceived threat...etc.

Joe W. Garrett
Old 16th September 2001, 17:56   #103
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I thank you for the elaboration and your input. Expression of thoughts is always appreciated and we want it to be known that the forums are operated on a democracy when reasonable. The final word on these matters is ultimately decided by the guys at Nullsoft, though I have faith that they consider everyone's input on matters regarding our forums.
Old 16th September 2001, 18:10   #104
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

We should always be open to the improvements of the forums. The way I see it at the moment: there is no need for a backstage forum on tech issues, somebody asks a question, and it gets answered by the person(s) who knows the answer. Simple, basic and straightforward. What I would like from the proponents of the backstage forum is one or two simple examples of how the forums would benefit from these backstage discussions. And I am not talking about "newbies" piping up and giving the wrong info; this can be easily countered in subsequent post(s). I will reserve my opinion until then. Thank you very much.
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2001, 18:29   #105
Forevever
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Forevever Send a message via Yahoo to Forevever
trying to count but there's just so many 2 cents out there... we're like up to 40 cents at least now

peace is an awesome message, one you are not endorsing by precluding it with flames and insults

who are you Budgie, to even say that some people deserve something that others do not?

Anywayz, here's all the change I have 63 cents to be exact.

The PROBLEM with the forums is that mods are not conducting themselvesp professionally. Not to say that a person can not make a friend, but that, as rev said, promotes a prejudice.

You have a job. You should do it.

If you feel that a forum member deserves some kind of status, then hire him backstage as a troubleshooter based on his/her qualifications. No one would care if the "troubleshooters" have their own forum.

But then I'm sure you could find a forum, in the mad list of them, that isn't frequented very often, for your "elite" group to "hide" in.

Someone should close this thread. The general population can say all they want and "backstage" will do whatever they want to anywayz.

P.S. Budgie, do you have to quote every single line of text? We read it the first time, just tell us who you're directing your comments to. We're not all the "morons" you make us out to be. And the ones who are morons, as I've said in the past, won't stick around very long. They'll feel out of place.
Forevever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2001, 21:44   #106
Budgie
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Forevever
P.S. Budgie, do you have to quote every single line of text? We read it the first time, just tell us who you're directing your comments to. We're not all the "morons" you make us out to be. And the ones who are morons, as I've said in the past, won't stick around very long. They'll feel out of place.
Aww LOL - I never said you are morons (?) ... I just quoted the text according to my answer, as the past clearly showed that people would not follow the entire discussion correctly, if other replies are in between. Don't flame me.

And Revrick: I do not have much to add, as I heard about you actually actively participating in backstage forums, but still flaming me, even worse, insulting me ... Well, what should I say??? You're a damn hypocrite!

Peace.

Old 17th September 2001, 03:14   #107
Revrick

Narcissitic - Excessive love or admiration of oneself
Self-Indulgent - indulgent of your own appetites and desires; "a self-indulgent...way of looking at life
Brat - A child, especially a spoiled or ill-mannered one

I was typifying your responses in kind to a 'new' member.
Old 17th September 2001, 22:30   #108
Budgie
Major Dude

Quote:
Narcissitic - Excessive love or admiration of oneself
Self-Indulgent - indulgent of your own appetites and desires; "a self-indulgent...way of looking at life
Brat - A child, especially a spoiled or ill-mannered one

I was typifying your responses in kind to a 'new' member.
Duh, I know what those words mean! ... But, you obviously forgot about the you which you put in front (your first post in this thread), meaning that you actively insulted my person. You suck, no matter what you say right now. Plus, you are being a damn hypocrite! Go somewhere, dood .

Peace.

Old 17th September 2001, 23:58   #109
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

http://pub92.ezboard.com/bwinampelite

THE ELITE WINAMP MESSAGEBOARD.

heh.

OK, I just set up a free messageboard. AND put a password on it so only elite members can join. I'm not giving out the password. If you can't guess it, oh well. This way everyone in the Winamp forums can be excluded equally.

Alright...So maybe my sarcasm got the better of me. What really would be the problem with splitting up the existing boards a little more? There is TEch Support - Newbies and General, why not Advanced? The same goes for the shoutcast discussions...why not Tech Support Shoutcast for Beginners and Advanced? Then change the "Shoutcast Discussions" to "Webcasting Discussions"

And why not create a forum "Technical Discussions - Advanced"

Why are the MilkDrop forums not included under the Applications area, if NSIS and AVS both are?

And to who should I bring these questions/suggestions to?

Also, to whoever strongly feels that there should be an elite and off-limits area: Assuming that it would be used not to discuss annoying members (yeah right), and would be used to discuss tech issues, what evidence is there that such discussion would be beneficial to the Winamp Community at large? I learn the majority of What I Learn through messageboard postings, either directly by asking and getting an answer or by reading other people's questions and answers. I try to be active in the area's I know best (Winamp3, NSIS, and some Shoutcast) and respond to questions, by new and old members alike. If I WERE NOT a member of the Elite forum, I wouldn't be able to ask (what I think are usually good) questions of the one forum that is known to have the best members. If I WERE a member of the Elite forum, other (non-elite) members would not be able to see my answers to questions.
Sure, the members of the elite forum would answer each other and that would trickle down to the others...but how often do you answer a "newbie" question with "Search the forums before you ask that..."

DJEGG, I didn't realize there were that many forums...are you including previous Nullsoft employees in that count?

Arggh...post too long...bet no one will read

-=Gonzotek=-

I was away for a while.
Old 18th September 2001, 00:11   #110
fish
Pretty Cool Guy

Send a message via AIM to fish
Ummm... No. Just No.

If an elite Society Forms, it's most likely gonna be on winamp.com

I'm not too sure about who's gonna be the membership there either, Gonzotek
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2001, 00:14   #111
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

Just to be clear (I think you got it Phisher,but Just In Case):

IT'S A JOKE!

I am a *little* more serious in the rest of that post.
thank you.

I was away for a while.
Old 18th September 2001, 06:51   #112
Revrick

Budgie one more time:

I left the winamp.com Skin Review team BECAUSE I felt that I and maybe a few others were become elitists. That does not put me into a hipocritical light, moreover it accents my current stance and viewpoints. But, then again you didn't read my post as you so eloquently put it to other members. Before you jump the gun and accuse you should actually read what I said rather than translate it into what you want to hear .

And as far as 'the proposed' flaming you thought I had given you...well, to be honest you deserved it, however the intent was to identify where your incessant ranting about newbies is also considered flaming. Sorry, but that is the truth...and in my mind that is exactly what you are. And I will stand by that description of you when you point out all the new members all over the place.
Old 18th September 2001, 20:57   #113
WolfieD

wow.
and i thought my life was full of constant bickering.

guys, cool off for a minute, and just think:

everyone here is here because they like it.

if they dont like it here, no one is holding a proverbial gun to their head trying to keep them posting.

for the "newbies" and i use that term loosely, were to see such a Shite thread as this one, it would surely scare them off.

the Winamp forums are for everyone, not just Elite members. We were all newbies, at one point in time.

Keep the community growing, dont close it off.

Hence forth, my vote for an Elite forum: Nay.

Come to #******* to be Elite. But keep it away from the forums.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions