Old 18th January 2001, 07:45   #1
Divide Overflow
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Your darkest nightmares. . .
Posts: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Divide Overflow
Is there any plugin out there that will play Windows Media streams? For instance, the internet radio stations at http://www.windowsmedia.com. I would like to play these streams in Winamp, but even when I copy the URL for the stream into Winamp, it refuses to play the stream, instead trying to play makelist.dll as the media.

Even with Windows Media Player 8 just around the corner, I still use version 6.4. I really do not like the newer versions, and truthfully, I am not all that fond of Windows Media Player altogether. I would prefer that Winamp be able to play Microsoft's streaming media. Hell, there are a couple plugins out there for RealPlayer files. Does anyone have any plans to create a Windows Media plugin for Winamp? Or, is there currently an existing plugin that will play these streams? Perhaps I am copying the wrong URL into Winamp?

Any help is appreciated.
Divide Overflow is offline  
Old 18th January 2001, 07:49   #2
Sawg
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
you can't
 
Old 18th January 2001, 12:20   #3
Lion King
Major Dude
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,670
in some cases you can: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=37330

You need the in_wm.dll that comes with standard and full installations of Winamp to get it to work though.
Lion King is offline  
Old 18th January 2001, 17:41   #4
DavidG
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 3
I notice the new download table now shows Windows Media support only under the Full version. Typo or change in policy?
DavidG is offline  
Old 18th January 2001, 18:27   #5
Indyrod
Major Dude
 
Indyrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana USA
Posts: 687
Now wait a minute, now I am confused. Didn't a MOD just yesterday say that Microsoft had Winamp pull the WMA support after 2.666??
Indyrod is offline  
Old 18th January 2001, 20:36   #6
Winsane
Moderator Alumni
 
Winsane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: U.S. (eastern time zone)
Posts: 2,598
Change in policy.

And I think it was Phisherman who incorrectly stated that Winamp removed WMA support.
Winsane is offline  
Old 19th January 2001, 07:37   #7
Divide Overflow
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Your darkest nightmares. . .
Posts: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Divide Overflow
Well, I had a hard time getting ahold of the address for the stream I listen to, but I "upgraded" to WMP 7, used that to open the stream, and then saved the playlist that the program downloads. I then opened that playlist in Winamp, took the last entry in the playlist (logically, the actual radio stream, the rest of the entries are ads), and added /.wma to the end, and viola! It works. Thanks for your help guys. Oh, and by the way, I am using Windows 2000 Professional. So much for not being able to stream WMA in Win2K.
Divide Overflow is offline  
Old 19th January 2001, 07:41   #8
Divide Overflow
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Your darkest nightmares. . .
Posts: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Divide Overflow
Oh, and one final thing. Here is the stream I listen to.

101.1 WJRR - "The Rock Station" (Orlando, Florida), which is a station that is JUST out of reach of my stereo. They are the only rock station in Central Florida, which is where I live.

mms://206.190.54.182/wjrr?StreamID=233475&pl_b=003FFAD03B41214B4300002F363A67EBE0&ru=radio%2Etoolbar%2Emicrosoft%2Ecom&s=278016017&CG_ID=5609"/.wma
Divide Overflow is offline  
Old 19th January 2001, 08:53   #9
A Plugin Developer
Senior Member
 
A Plugin Developer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Home
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally posted by Divide Overflow
Well, I had a hard time getting ahold of the address for the stream I listen to, but I "upgraded" to WMP 7, used that to open the stream, and then saved the playlist that the program downloads. I then opened that playlist in Winamp, took the last entry in the playlist (logically, the actual radio stream, the rest of the entries are ads), and added /.wma to the end, and viola! It works. Thanks for your help guys. Oh, and by the way, I am using Windows 2000 Professional. So much for not being able to stream WMA in Win2K.
This is excellent news! Thanks for posting.
Perhaps not installing WMP 7 is why I could never get an mms stream to work in Win2000... have you tested an mms stream on any Win2000 boxes that have WMP6.4? Also, that still means NT users are out in the cold since WMP 7 is not compatible with it. Now all we need is an asx input plugin, I've been trying to hack something together... but it is bit more difficult than I anticipated.
A Plugin Developer is offline  
Old 19th January 2001, 10:25   #10
Divide Overflow
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Your darkest nightmares. . .
Posts: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Divide Overflow
To tell you the truth, I just noticed something. . . I have both versions of WMP installed. And they will both run side by side. . However I have listened to MMS streams with WMP 6.4 installed, just not through Winamp. Perhaps it's a codec issue?
Divide Overflow is offline  
Old 19th January 2001, 19:26   #11
A Plugin Developer
Senior Member
 
A Plugin Developer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Home
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally posted by Divide Overflow
To tell you the truth, I just noticed something. . . I have both versions of WMP installed. And they will both run side by side. . However I have listened to MMS streams with WMP 6.4 installed, just not through Winamp. Perhaps it's a codec issue?
Yeah, I have listened to MMS streams with WMP 6.4 also... just could never get it to work through Winamp (with NT or 2000). I'm going to install WMP 7 on my 2000 machine and see if that fixes the problem. I agree with you, it is probably a codec issue. It would be nice to solve this problem w/o having to uprade from WMP 6.4 to 7... I'll be sure to post if I ever figure it out.
A Plugin Developer is offline  
Old 20th January 2001, 06:48   #12
A Plugin Developer
Senior Member
 
A Plugin Developer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Home
Posts: 269
Hey Divide Overflow, I installed WMP 7 but still no mms streams via Winamp... did you install the windows media tools or some other windows media crap? Got any other ideas...
A Plugin Developer is offline  
Old 20th January 2001, 13:15   #13
Divide Overflow
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Your darkest nightmares. . .
Posts: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Divide Overflow
No the only other thing that that I have installed that even relates to media player is the Divx codec. You may want to install that and try it, but I do not see how that would resolve the issue. What stream are you trying to play? I would like to try and see if I can play it on my computer.


. . . Just remembered, I have installed Win2K SP1. Perhaps you could try that? Or, run Windows update and download all the updates?
Divide Overflow is offline  
Old 21st January 2001, 01:28   #14
A Plugin Developer
Senior Member
 
A Plugin Developer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Home
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally posted by Divide Overflow
No the only other thing that that I have installed that even relates to media player is the Divx codec. You may want to install that and try it, but I do not see how that would resolve the issue. What stream are you trying to play? I would like to try and see if I can play it on my computer.

. . . Just remembered, I have installed Win2K SP1. Perhaps you could try that? Or, run Windows update and download all the updates?
I've already got the Divx codec and SP1 on my Win2K pro machine... I'll post the mms address later, got to go out and party now.
A Plugin Developer is offline  
Old 21st January 2001, 01:33   #15
A Plugin Developer
Senior Member
 
A Plugin Developer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Home
Posts: 269
Here it is... now I can go party

mms://209.191.160.196/G2O1C034/SA/KSLZ_FM/Filename.wma

P.S. I just tested in on a WinME machine and it still works... just not on my Win2K pro machine - DAMN!
A Plugin Developer is offline  
Old 21st January 2001, 16:47   #16
Divide Overflow
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Your darkest nightmares. . .
Posts: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Divide Overflow
Well, the link you posted, did not work, it is not just your system. However, with a tad bit of modification to the address, I did get it to work.

When the address:
mms://209.191.160.196/G2O1C034/SA/KSLZ_FM/Filename.wma


did not work, I tried the following:

mms://209.191.160.196/G2O1C034/SA/KSLZ_FM/.wma

at first it did not work. I got the same error message (Error synching to MPEG). Then I noticed that there was a space after the "a" at the end. I erased that space, and I got it to work.

Try the address
mms://209.191.160.196/G2O1C034/SA/KSLZ_FM/.wma
and make sure there are no spaces before or after the address when you put it into the Winamp open location box.

Divide Overflow is offline  
Old 22nd January 2001, 06:39   #17
A Plugin Developer
Senior Member
 
A Plugin Developer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Home
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally posted by Divide Overflow
Well, the link you posted, did not work, it is not just your system. However, with a tad bit of modification to the address, I did get it to work.

When the address:
mms://209.191.160.196/G2O1C034/SA/KSLZ_FM/Filename.wma


did not work, I tried the following:

mms://209.191.160.196/G2O1C034/SA/KSLZ_FM/.wma

at first it did not work. I got the same error message (Error synching to MPEG). Then I noticed that there was a space after the "a" at the end. I erased that space, and I got it to work.

Try the address
mms://209.191.160.196/G2O1C034/SA/KSLZ_FM/.wma
and make sure there are no spaces before or after the address when you put it into the Winamp open location box.

You are the man!!! I can't believe how stupid this is... one damn space at the end of the filename should not be a problem... but it was. Sloppy programming by Nullsoft, a simple trim to rid the filename of leading and trailing spaces should always be used... oh well, I hope they eventually put this in. Thanks Divide Overflow for your patience in figuring this out. BTW - the mms address with the filename.wma works too IF I DON'T PUT A F#@*$NG SPACE AT THE END. Must take chill pill... oh that's better...
A Plugin Developer is offline  
Old 26th December 2001, 12:04   #18
LoyC
Junior Member
 
LoyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Singapore
Posts: 19
hi u 2 (merry x'mas by the way)... i was reading what u 2 have writing, maybe what u're missing is the latest wmp8 codecs over here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...arch&ordinal=2
it might not b useful since u have installed wmp7.1 already, but it's dinfintely worth a try. will come back 2 c how things goes..
LoyC is offline  
Old 26th December 2001, 22:07   #19
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 35,824
Huh? Errmm . . . Hi again LoyC

I don't suppose you noticed that this thread is almost a year old? (Jan 2001)
Besides, if you read right to the end you'll see that the problem was solved.

Maybe it's just 'cos you had a few drinks too many over Xmas, yes?
hehe j/k
DJ Egg is offline  
Old 30th December 2004, 22:27   #20
SkyNetBreaker
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 11
Send a message via AIM to SkyNetBreaker
w0rd
SkyNetBreaker is offline  
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump