Old 15th March 2003, 02:27   #1
playtec

wav or mp3 to midi

does anyone know of any way to convert wav or mp3s to midi files using winamp and or a plug in?
i can successfully use the plug in to change mp3 to wav but im looking to go from wav or mp3 to midi.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance.
playtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2003, 02:53   #2
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

good god, why?

Go read a book without pictures
pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote
Fickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2003, 04:15   #3
psyfive
Forum King

Let me start this off by first saying that you will NOT get good results from converting wav to midi.

I found a program that can do it (but not too well) it can be found at: http://www.akoff.com/download.html
psyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2003, 14:43   #4
Joel
Debian user
(Forum King)

the quality, dude...

* PC: Intel Core 2 DUO E6550 @ 2.33 GHz with 2 GB RAM: Archlinux-i686 with MATE.
* Laptop: Intel Core 2 DUO T6600 @ 2.20 GHz with 4 GB RAM: Archlinux-x86-64 with MATE.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2003, 14:57   #5
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Mobile phone ringtones are what Midi's sound like.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2003, 15:41   #6
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
It will sound like one of those keyboards little kids play with, Only worse. You know with the high pitch notes that pierce the untmost inner sanctum of your ear lobes.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2003, 15:58   #7
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

Not necessarily. It is quite possibly to convert a wav sound to a midi file, and have it sound exactly the same. All you need is a soundfont compatible soundcard. Theoretically using this (for instance the entire SB Live family are Soundfont compatible), you can record the actual instruments listed as being on your sound card (From GrandPiano down to the cheezy Helipcopter sound ) and makea sound font to replace the default on your card. Its long winded, would need tonnes of memory and hard disk space, but it could be done.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2003, 17:35   #8
anubis2003
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to anubis2003
Bilbo, the technology still isn't advanced enough to do that(unless if you made every millisecond of sound it's own instrument). You still have to be able to figure out what note is being played, and if there are more than one instrument then this will be very, very difficult. The best that they have gotten so far is to be able to very poorly take a music file with one instrument playing and make a midi out of it.
anubis2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2003, 17:45   #9
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Yeh, what you're basically trying to do is ask the computer to work out which instruments are playing which notes. The human brain finds this very easy, indeed it does it subconsciously, but it's impossible to do accurately with a computer currently, and I doubt it'll ever be possible.

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2003, 17:50   #10
anubis2003
Forum King

I don't think that it will never be possible. I think eventually computers will be able to surpass humans(Scary...) or at least equal them(possibly using replication). Then, computers will be able to do it as well.
Old 15th March 2003, 17:53   #11
Joel
Debian user
(Forum King)

Did you try this:

http://www.shareware21.com/audio/220/

it's shareware althoug

* PC: Intel Core 2 DUO E6550 @ 2.33 GHz with 2 GB RAM: Archlinux-i686 with MATE.
* Laptop: Intel Core 2 DUO T6600 @ 2.20 GHz with 4 GB RAM: Archlinux-x86-64 with MATE.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2003, 00:07   #12
playtec

I didnt realise my question would start a debate on humans vs computers
I guess i should have said why i wanted to do such a dumb thing and yes it is for mobile phone ringtones...
i can make perfect wav and mp3 tones but my new phone is polyphonic so i wanted to know how to make them to midi so i can upload to my phone.
i know its a little off the subject of winamp but if anyone knows a good site with midi's of voices and sound effects, i would be most greatful to drop me a line with the url playtec2@hotmail.com as i want to see if my phone can handle those sorts of midi's
thanks for your help guys.
playtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2003, 13:13   #13
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

i don't think you understand what i said Anubis.

A soundfont is just a wav sound that can be played as a midi. You load thesoundfont to your sound cards memory, and when you select that bank of sounds, it plays when you press the corresponding key. For instance, if i made a soundfont with the Winamp start theme, and assigned it to Middle C in my soundfont maker, then when i loaded that soundfont up to the card, selected that bank in the MIDI progra, and pressed Middle C, you would hear "Winamp, it really whips the Llamas ass". So in theory, you could record all the different notes from each instrument, package them all as one giant soundfont, and play real instruments on your midi card.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2003, 13:45   #14
anubis2003
Forum King

You couldn't make proper soundfonts with them though, because it is still very difficult to determine what note is being played, especially with several different instruments(which doing anything otherwise defeats the purpose of midis, IMO). Anyways, I don't think doing that would help at all. And I don't think cellphones support soundfonts either.
Old 16th March 2003, 21:40   #15
mark
Forum King

hmmm, i might hafta dig out my 3310/3330 data cable if these work!
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2003, 21:43   #16
Picaune
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Picaune Send a message via AIM to Picaune Send a message via Yahoo to Picaune
bilbo, do you really think a cell phone supports Creative Labs technology?
Picaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions