Old 8th December 2002, 07:01   #1
ghost_wrider

WinAMP freezes computer sound

Hey Guys,
Got a prob, hoping youll be able to solve. This isn't ALWAYS in WinAMP, but its also happened in Windows Media Player. But, most often it happens in winamp, like 19/20 times. I'll be playing music, and all of the sudden WinAMP STOPS playing music. I try to press play, it displays the duration as 0:00 and i hear the speakers click. Once this happens, my audio on my computer is like locked up. If I wanted to play a game, or a song in Windows Media Player, it just makes my speakers click and doesn't play! It's wierd, I have to reboot in order to get my sound back again. Is there a quick fix to this, or am I going to have to keep rebooting for the rest of me life? Help would be really appreciated, Thanks!
ghost_wrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2002, 13:51   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Hey, please read sticky topics at top of forum before posting
(especially: how to find answers & freezing problems: read me first)
We may be superhuman, but alas, our psychic capabilities are limited

We need the following info:

System specs: pc make/model, cpu/ram, soundcard, videocard, Windows OS, DirectX

Whether you've got the correct & laters drivers for your hardware, especially soundcard?

What file types you're playing (mp3, wav, midi, wma, audio cd, other, all)

Does the problem occur with both WaveOut & DirectSound Outputs in Winamp?

Have you tried running any/all of the following recently?
ScanDisk (thorough test); Defrag; VirusScan; Ad-Aware
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2002, 19:31   #3
ghost_wrider

Hey,
Sorry about the info, It was 2:30 am and I wasn't thinking straight lol. It happened on my old pc too, that I've had since 1998. Thats a Acer Aspire 6063 with a Pentium II (333 MHz) processor, with a 2 mb video card. This is a system I had custom built, not sure on mobo make/model. I know in SiSoftware Utilities it says its a Hsing Tech Enterprise. Not sure if thats accurate, Im gonna have to open up the case and look at the correct model. It has a SiS 730S Chipset, with a AMD Duron 1200 MHz Processor, 512 MB SDRAM, 16 Meg Sis 630/730 PCI Vid card, Windows 98 SE, Windows 2000 Professional SP3 and Windows XP Professional operating systems, and DirectX 5.01.2258.400. I'm not sure about the WaveOut and DirectSound outputs. I usually run adaware every month, defragged 2 weeks ago, virus scans every day at 5 AM with AVG Anti-Virus, And I don't really think the Win2k and WinXP Scandisks are really that effective so I do not use them. Most I do is CHKDSK through command. Sound drivers, not sure about updates, windows update site said I had to update 2 drivers, one I beleive was multimedia, which I did. SiS 7018 Audio Driver Version: 5.12.1.3110 on date 5/23 or 2001. Everything looks good in device manager, I installed the chipset with the CD included with my computer. Usually, I only play MP3. Sometimes I'll play a WAV file I've converted just to see if it sounds right, and a CD once in a blue moon, if I can get it to play without skipping, another problem I know how to fix, but just too lazy lol. If you need any more info, just let me know. Thanks!!!
ghost_wrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2002, 18:57   #4
jannae

Send a message via ICQ to jannae Send a message via AIM to jannae Send a message via Yahoo to jannae
Me too!!

I want to get in on this, because this has been a major problem for me for awhile. Everyone kept telling me to reformat, so finally i did, and the problem still didn't go away. I thought for awhile it was just Windows 2000, but now i remember it working for me for awhile after i got this PC upgraded for 2000. So then i thought it was just the new version of winamp, so i went to www.oldversion.com and started downgrading. I systematically got all the way down to version 1.0 without the problem ever stopping. I am now back up to the latest Winamp 2 version (2.81 x86 August 21, 2002) and have applied the September wa2update patch. I have read all the stickys on freezing and stopping, and i have tried all of the suggestions. Despite all efforts to push my system beyond all tolerability, I have not been able to successfully recreate this problem. It seems to "just happen". I've been able to listen for anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 or 6 hours without it freezing. And i have the same result... when it freezes, I am unable to hear sound AT ALL on my computer until i reboot.

I use belarc advisor, so i posted my complete system specs on my website . I edited some information for security reasons, but if you need it, just ask.

To answer all of your questions that you gave the other guy:

System specs: pc make/model, cpu/ram, soundcard, videocard, Windows OS, DirectX

info at http://jannaejacks.com/pcprofiles/work.htm

Whether you've got the correct & laters drivers for your hardware, especially soundcard?

yes - they were downloaded directly from the compaq site.

What file types you're playing (mp3, wav, midi, wma, audio cd, other, all)

currently the problem has only been detected with mp3 because those are the only types i listen to often enough to have this issue.

Does the problem occur with both WaveOut & DirectSound Outputs in Winamp?

yes.

Have you tried running any/all of the following recently?
ScanDisk (thorough test); Defrag; VirusScan; Ad-Aware

I run defrag and ad-aware once every 2 weeks, and this is a company PC, and we are scanned for viruses every day.

I hope you guys can figure this out, because this has been bugging the CRAP out of me. I'm glad i'm not alone, now, though.
jannae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2002, 22:47   #5
dylman
Forum King

jannae:

Quote:
SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Onboard sound chips are rubbish. I had similar problems on my old Compaq (with onboard audio) until I bought a real sound card.

Then I built a real computer and now I'm very happy.

There's no need to tell me when I'm right;
I operate on that principle exclusively and with absolute certainty
dylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2002, 23:08   #6
jannae

Send a message via ICQ to jannae Send a message via AIM to jannae Send a message via Yahoo to jannae
Yes, I am fully aware that onboard audio sucks. In case you missed it, though, this is a company PC. There's little to nothing i can do about new sound card options, or changes to the system in general minus driver upgrades and program patches. So, I'd prefer to address fixes that accomodate my current configuration.

I have a "real" computer at home.
jannae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2002, 23:34   #7
dylman
Forum King

I actually *paid* for my Compaq...

I tried for months to find updated drivers for the Soundmax and got nowhere.

Good luck anyway!

There's no need to tell me when I'm right;
I operate on that principle exclusively and with absolute certainty
dylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2002, 20:29   #8
LoyC

hey ghost_wrider and jannae, some of the things u could do is to update your directx drivers to the latest stable version 8.1 and if after that if the problem still exists, u could reduce your sound hardware acceleration under the directx settings in your control panel. the problem could lie with your on-board sound card so the hardware acceleration could be one factor, but if u update all the right drivers and apply the proper settings your sound problem will definitely go away. Good luck! =)
LoyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support