Old 20th February 2006, 05:48   #1
EternalCow

Shuffle songs weighted by rating

Hello,

I've finally switched back to Winamp after a long hiatus during which I, sadly, used iTunes. I'm very glad to be back.

The one feature I do miss from iTunes is this. In its Party Shuffle mode, you could tick an option that would have it play higher-rated songs more frequently. While I know you can create a Smart View in Winamp, this wouldn't do any good as it would then filter out the lower-rated stuff entirely.

This probably isn't a crucial feature, but I just wondered if someone had written a plugin for this. Thanks.
EternalCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2006, 09:32   #2
ladyhauwke

I agree

I also would love to see this feature. Perhaps this should be moved to wishlist thread though if it is not currently possible. I'm just looking for a simple way to create a randomized list of all my music in the first place just like itunes does. Pretty much, like you, the only feature I'm missing.
ladyhauwke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2006, 20:28   #3
osmosis
Major Dude

the only similar plugin to iTunes Party Shuffle right now is RoboDJ, but it's ancient and doesn't support the Winamp ML (it makes its own database). RoboDJ is opensource and could be updated by someone with the time and skill, but nobody's signed onto the project yet (and it's been awhile).

DrO has expressed interest in modifying his Playlist File Remover plugin to have a Party Shuffle subfunction (since that plugin already has a "flowing playlist" similar to that of iTunes PS), but hasn't yet had the time to implement it.

Also, I've written a Winamp Party Shuffle script for use with the ActiveWinamp plugin. I'm currently testing a new method of randomization for it, but if you want to help test it, i've posted it over in Winamp Scripting.

Request: A little SmartView Query Language love.

Last edited by osmosis; 28th June 2006 at 23:20.
osmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2006, 03:09   #4
osmosis
Major Dude

Winamp Party Shuffle v2.5

- Fixed repeat problem.

Updated Forum Link: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....84#post1987584

Also i've noticed Google is indexing this page..

Winamp iTunes Party Shuffle Winamp iTunes Party Shuffle Winamp iTunes Party Shuffle Winamp iTunes Party Shuffle Winamp iTunes Party Shuffle Winamp iTunes Party Shuffle Winamp iTunes Party Shuffle Winamp iTunes Party Shuffle Winamp iTunes Party Shuffle Winamp iTunes Party Shuffle Winamp iTunes Party Shuffle Winamp iTunes Party Shuffle Winamp iTunes Party Shuffle Winamp iTunes Party Shuffle Winamp iTunes Party Shuffle
Old 3rd April 2007, 07:47   #5
osmosis
Major Dude

Winamp Party Shuffle v2.8

- Logs user added tracks in the song cache (thanks to vect).
- Fixed Rand out of bounds error (thanks to Anreal).

Wiki Link for 15 track version: http://www.myplugins.info/activewina.../examples:root
Forum Link for 20 track: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....70#post2117670
Old 27th February 2008, 20:34   #6
osmosis
Major Dude

Winamp Party Shuffle 3.0

- Biased party shuffle weighted by configurable rating.
- Configurable same-artist bias.

Full post in Winamp Scripting thread.
Wiki page for script download.

Winamp Party Shuffle Winamp Party Shuffle Winamp Party Shuffle Winamp Party Shuffle Winamp Party Shuffle Winamp Party Shuffle Winamp Party Shuffle Winamp Party Shuffle Winamp Party Shuffle Winamp Party Shuffle Winamp Party Shuffle Winamp Party Shuffle Winamp Party Shuffle Winamp Party Shuffle Winamp Party Shuffle Winamp Party Shuffle Winamp Party Shuffle Winamp Party Shuffle Winamp Party Shuffle Winamp Party Shuffle
Old 4th November 2008, 19:58   #7
PsychatoR

hi .. yeah is there a plugin for that party shuffle by rating ? pls i dont understand that script thing
PsychatoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 00:00   #8
osmosis
Major Dude

Winamp Party Shuffle 3.2

There is unfortunately no plugin at the moment that uses the Winamp media library ratings to do a party shuffle, only the script.

To get the script working:

1) Download ActiveWinamp to your "Program Files\Winamp\Plugins" directory

2) Register the dll with Windows (Run... regsvr32 "c:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins\gen_activewa.dll" or wherever the dll is located)

3) Copy the Party Shuffle script text (blue box) into Notepad and save as "playlist_Party Shuffle.vbs"

4) Run... %AppData%\Winamp\Plugins\Scripts\ to open AW's script folder, and then move playlist_Party Shuffle.vbs there.

5) Re/Start Winamp and right-click on the playlist. You should see a Scripts submenu with Party Shuffle in it.

Click the menu item to start a party shuffle playlist, or alternately, if you have the Nullsoft Global Hotkeys plugin installed you can assign the script to a key combination of your choosing.
Old 5th November 2008, 05:11   #9
AlphaMale1

Hey Osmosis,

I am thankful that you posted those step by step instructions. I was having trouble figuring out how to get this going and noticed my error in step 3.

Thanks again
AlphaMale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 02:31   #10
PsychatoR

and is this thing have something to do with the "play count" in ML ?

and what mean this popup saying :
Winamp party shuffle (20 track)
what this mean "20 track"?

also it said :
Start new party shuffle playlist?
which playlist? the one in ML (local media) with playcount and ratings?
or the playlist in the ML i created ?

and i made a test in the (local media) with something like 40 songs putting 3 song at 5 stars each. and all others without any stars and .. the ones with 5 stars doesnt play more often ..
Old 9th November 2008, 20:05   #11
osmosis
Major Dude

Okay man.. some of this is pretty basic stuff to do with Winamp, but I'll try to explain it for you anyway, because you seem very confused.

Winamp has a Media Library but it uses a central playlist.
This is not the same as the saved playlists in the ML.

Party Shuffle asks if you want to start a new playlist, if yes it will clear Winamp's central playlist and add 15 tracks from the ML. If no, it will go through the files in your playlist until it goes under 20 tracks and then start adding ones from the ML.

As the tracks play, it builds up a backlog of 5, with the current track always staying at position 6 in the playlist. Since there are 15 tracks in advance, and 5 backlog, that is why it's "20 track".

As for your test, I'm pretty sure you just misunderstood how it works. Try again, tell it to start a new party shuffle playlist, and keep an eye to the Winamp playlist. If you skip ahead and watch what tracks it chooses, you should see the ones you rated at 5 come up more often.

Old 10th November 2008, 06:02   #12
PsychatoR

when 50 songs in ML it may work
but when 1700 songs .. Ratings doesnt work anymore
Old 10th November 2008, 06:34   #13
osmosis
Major Dude

You still don't understand. Trust me. It works. In a library of 1700 songs, if it played your 3 rated 5-star songs every 10 tracks then THAT would be it NOT working.

Also, if you'd bothered to look inside the script, vect worked really hard to remake it as highly customizable, and together we wrote clear instructions there. If you don't like the way it's working, you can make it more(/less?) descriminant any number of ways. I urge you to open it up and take a look.

Old 10th November 2008, 17:26   #14
PsychatoR

ok but explain me why i tested with 5 songs (5 stars rated) and all others (1695 no stars).
and started your suffle thing and pressing B (next song) over maybe 20 mins. i closed and reopen winamp to refresh ML and if we watch in the playcount (ML), many songs (no stars) have reached 5 playcount while the (5 stars songs) are still at 1 playcount and 2 playcount and many have still never played yet! so its way not equilibrated!

like u said i maybe misundertand a lot, maybe because english is not my main language. but my msn is oghertz@hotmail.com, im sure it would be better to chat directly.
pz
Old 10th November 2008, 18:51   #15
osmosis
Major Dude

Like I said, you can make it more sensitive by editing the script. Specifically look at/experiment with the "bias" variable, and the artist/songHistorySize variables in the CONFIG section at the beginning of the script. Hopefully using those you can achieve an amount of repetition more to your liking.

Old 25th November 2008, 06:58   #16
PsychatoR

sorry man i tried many things .. and each time i change these variable it make a conflict message.
Old 25th November 2008, 08:46   #17
PsychatoR

RoboDJ seems good but some file he wont load in his music library someone fixed it ?

edited:
Ya i found 1 problem .. It doesnt load .flac files!

Last edited by PsychatoR; 25th November 2008 at 11:04.
Old 25th January 2010, 22:27   #18
osmosis
Major Dude

Winamp Party Shuffle 3.3

With a newly working version of gen_activewa.dll to go with it a few posts above.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....71#post2622271
Old 21st January 2011, 17:25   #19
osmosis
Major Dude

Winamp Party Shuffle 3.4

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....53#post2738553

And that working version of ActiveWinamp is now located here.
Old 25th January 2011, 17:40   #20
scorpiomoon

ye gads!, i was so glad to get rid of itunes (i thought i would have to reinstall my system to get rid of all their junk in my reg. got jet, coreplayer, and vlc, but winamp rules for lightweight, excellent zounds - aquarius
scorpiomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 18:49   #21
classact2575

I managed to dig up a VERY old copy (0.9h) of RoboDJ if anyone's interested... obviously it's not ideal, but in case someone is seriously hurtin' for a copy.
classact2575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion