Old 23rd June 2011, 03:42   #1
webthing
Forum King

Man left paralysed after eating undercooked pork chop

Father of two Darren Ashall was left paralysed in intensive care after eating an undercooked pork chop.

The 46-year-old is still in hospital almost five months after falling ill and must learn how to walk again.

But he was told he was lucky to be alive after eating the chop infected with the listeria meningitis bug, which attacked his immune system and caused a brain abscess. It can lie dormant for up to 70 days.

His case has prompted warnings that meat must be cooked through properly, especially on barbecues.

Speaking from hospital, Mr Ashall, of Chorley, Lancashire, said he prepared the meat on a caravan stove while working away from home in Birmingham.

He added: ‘I regretted eating it straight away. I knew it was a mistake. A month later, I went to hospital thinking I was having a heart attack.’

His condition deteriorated rapidly until he could no longer walk or talk. He said: ‘I was too scared to close my eyes because I didn’t think I’d ever wake up again.’

Mr Ashall will never fully recover and will always take antibiotics.

Food safety expert Sarah Daniels said: ‘The most important thing is cooking food properly and good personal hygiene.’

Over 76 million people will get sick this year from food-related illness and 5,000 of will die. Although those most at risk for severe illness are infants, unborn children, pregnant women, the elderly and the chronically ill, we all get sick when we eat harmful bacteria in meat that hasn't been cooked properly. Judging the safety of cooked meat by its color, texture or appearance is not reliable. Luckily, it's easy to follow a few simple steps to prevent food poisoning when you cook meat at home.

Cook your meat properly

Instructions

Things You'll Need

1. Hot water and soap
Instant-read meat thermometer
Two clean platters for meat

2. Wash your hands in hot, soapy water for twenty seconds.

3. Season meat as desired and cut or shape as called for in the recipe. Place on clean platter.

4. Roast, grill, fry, saute or broil until about two-thirds of the estimated cooking time has passed. Use a clean instant-read thermometer to check the following temperatures. Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the meat, but away from the bone, fat or gristle. USDA

Recommended Safe Minimum Internal Temperatures are:

Steaks & Roasts - 145 °F

Pork - 160 °F

Ground Beef - 160 °F

Chicken Breasts - 165 °F

Whole Poultry - 165 °F.

5. If the meat is underdone, wait 10 minutes and try again. Wash your hands, and wash the thermometer before inserting into meat again.

6. When it is done, remove the meat to clean a platter and serve.

Do not allow it to stand at room temperature for more than two hours.

Cover and refrigerate any unused meat.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2300031_cook...vent-food.html

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/news/867214-d...#ixzz1Q3sYdOsX
webthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 06:50   #2
rockouthippie
Banned

Cooking poultry or pork is very problematic on a BBQ. It's almost impossible with charcoal. "Low and slow" with a gas grill is possible.

Still, meat that is going to make you sick usually betrays itself with color or smell. It's spendy to toss dank food. You might think twice though.

Against advise, I still eat raw oysters after careful inspection.

Salt and sugar in a good marinade are probably a good choice too. You can avoid surface bacteria with both.

Eating a raw pork chop or chicken? Yuk! I would just cut it and say "Fuk! It's freaking raw!"

Lets not turn meat into leather.

You don't need a thermometer, you need common sense.

Don't be paranoid. The temperature guidelines above would lead you to meat that is well prepared.

Don't freak
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 05:14   #3
beanboy89
(Major Dude)
isn't very custom

Taste the meat, not the heat.
beanboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 22:45   #4
fc*uk

I undercook everything by 10F. I've not died yet.

Food cooks while it rests; generally about 10F.

Rare red meat is 140F. Restaurant grade is 130F-135F. Most chefs cook it to 120F-125F and let it sit for the waiter. By the time it reaches you, it's done.

I believe people/giudes also suggest lamb is 160F. This is total bullshit. My wife's family is first generation from Greece; 160F is well done. We always cook it to about 140F, just like read meat, which means let it hit about 130F and pull it.

As for this article ... the main reason to cook pork to 160F is mainly because of trichinosis. Anyone remember the last documented case of trichinosis in the US? Didn't think so. I cook pork to about 140F as well, which means it gets pulled at 130F...

Meningitis in pork? That's just not normal. Something was wrong with that pig. It was either fed shit (literally) or it was sick itself.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 16:43   #5
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
160F is well done.
Yeah. No kidding. I like lamb a little pink..... just barely... Another thing people always overcook is venison and elk. I think tainted meat usually betrays itself with smell or appearance. Being a fan of raw oysters and steak tartar, I haven't gone wrong yet.

Knock on wood.

I'll bet you a buck I would have thrown away pork rancid enough to hurt this guy.

If it looks like shit and smells like shit, I wouldn't eat it in the first place.

Quote:
trichinosis
The biggies are Salmonella, Listeria Meningitis, and Toxoplasma. These each kill about 1500 people a year in the US. Driving is far more dangerous than food. "Slip and fall" kills more people than food.

Life isn't safe.

I remember watching the news a while back. They had a 5 minute article on how not to kill your kids by having a TV on an unstable cart fall. Of course, that only happens about once a year.

We could replace all these public service minded announcements with:

You have a brain. Use it.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 14:38   #6
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
^But then people would need to be responsible for their own safety - and we can't have that.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 02:31   #7
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

LMFAO@redneck grilling
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions