Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Closed Thread
Old 9th September 2011, 15:57   #1
Techno-Monster2

Mapped Network Drive (letter) vs. browsing to network location

Running Windows 7 Enterprise and latest Winamp 5. A few weeks ago this problem started. I have all my music on a Thecus NAS. I map a drive M:\ to that top level music folder. When I open the M:\ drive and select a song, the title displays in Winamp but it does not play for even a second. It sort of "flashes" briefly.

However, if I navigate to \\192.168.1.101\Music and select a song it play fine.

What is the difference between a mapped network drive letter and navigating to the network folder, that would cause this? How do I fix it so a mapped network drive letter works?

Also, if I Restart the PC, it works fine for 5 or 10 or 20 minutes then stops working.

Thanks in advance.
TechnoMonster2
Old 9th September 2011, 22:55   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
a UNC path is more direct. sometimes it takes windows a bit to mount and activate a mapped drive.

not sure if that explains this, but it might.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
Old 10th September 2011, 13:06   #3
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Can't explain why you are seeing the delays, can only guess.

Mapped Drives are an old hang-over from the earlier days of Windows. Since the start of the XP era UNC paths have been preferred.

In your example you are also quoting the UNC path as an IP Address. This will always be your fastest connection as no lookup is required. Just remember to reserve that address with your DHCP server if you are going to use UNC paths in this manner. (This is your best\fastest solution)

You mention the "delay" of a mapped drive. What happens if before starting Winamp you navigate to that mapped drive using Windows Explorer? If you start by opening Windows Explorer on the music drive first before Winamp, does the delay disappear? If yes, then your delay sounds like it could be windows reconnecting.

You mention that this delayed connection is to a NAS. Have you got another PC in the house? Try mapping a drive letter to this computer as a comparison. It could just be a slower NAS (though this does not really make sense as the NAS will not know if you are using a mapped drive or UNC path)

With the mapped drive - how is it mapped? Is this also setup with an IP Address? Or is it using the windows networking name of your NAS (i.e. chosen via the Browse button)? Is that NAS on the same Windows workgroup as the Win7 PC? It could be this extra lookup that is causing the delay - especially if Samba in the NAS is buggy for any reason.

Have you checked for firmware updates for the NAS?
Old 10th September 2011, 15:45   #4
Techno-Monster2

issue persists...

Thanks for the replies. Here's what I've tried:

You mention the "delay" of a mapped drive.

Actually, I never mentioned the word "delay", so not sure what I said implied this...

What happens if before starting Winamp you navigate to that mapped drive using Windows Explorer?

Same issue, no difference.

If you start by opening Windows Explorer on the music drive first before Winamp, does the delay disappear? If yes, then your delay sounds like it could be windows reconnecting.

No difference. So, there is no "delay", Winamp never even plays the song.

You mention that this delayed connection is to a NAS. Have you got another PC in the house? Try mapping a drive letter to this computer as a comparison. It could just be a slower NAS (though this does not really make sense as the NAS will not know if you are using a mapped drive or UNC path)

The same thing happens on another PC. The NAS is one of the fastest ones out there, with read/write throughput of 100/85MB/sec so I don't think it is the NAS.

With the mapped drive - how is it mapped? Is this also setup with an IP Address? Or is it using the windows networking name of your NAS (i.e. chosen via the Browse button)? Is that NAS on the same Windows workgroup as the Win7 PC? It could be this extra lookup that is causing the delay - especially if Samba in the NAS is buggy for any reason.

I've tried mapping it manually, as \\N4200\Music, using my admin privileged account, as well as the Admin account of the NAS. No difference. I tried it as \\192.168.1.101\Music but no difference.

The Workgroup is the same on the NAS as the PC's, yes.

I have this nice little utility called MapDrive that I have used for years now. I have always used this.

MapDrive 1.10: Free Download
http://zornsoftware.talsit*******free-downloads?did=5

Have you checked for firmware updates for the NAS?
Yes, has been running the latest f/w for a couple months now.
Old 12th September 2011, 10:23   #5
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Ah - sorry - I misread slightly. I thought there was a delay when you meant it failed to play at all. Which is even weirder.

Instead of your old utility, try mapping the drive in a normal manner. Right Click the My Network icon and map it from there.
Old 13th September 2011, 02:06   #6
Techno-Monster2

It's all about security

I think I've identified the cause and the workaround. I suspected that issue was with UAC and/or administartive rights. Especially, when I started to not be able to browse some other folders on my NAS that required user authentication.

I downloaded and installed "Ultimate Windows Tweaker", free from "The Windows Club" at: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultima...indows-7-vista

I went in and made just a couple changes, "Enable admin approval mode for the built-in-administrator account", "Disable switching to secure desktop while elevating", and I set the notify level when making changes to programs or Windows to "Never Notify" (ala pre-Vista).

It's all working now as expected. Mapped drives with just like network navigated UNC paths.

It's all about security, and the way Windows 7 handles it. Now, why did things change a couple weeks ago? Who knows. It was probably some obscure Windows security update that under certain conditions, did to me (and others) what I saw.

Thanks for the ideas and help.
Old 17th September 2011, 11:32   #7
d4lions

TM2 Help

TM2,

I am in the same boat. I have a QNAP, and win 7 pro. On my old xp/vista this worked fine. Now on win 7 all networked media is a PITA to get working correctly. I subsequently put in a second drive to do it locally, and now just do a backup on the NAS to make sure I don't lose any data. My C drive is an SSD so I can't hold the media library there its too big.

I would love to get this working on my NAS again can you help me with sec pol on how to get this up and going.

Also, I am a iphone convert, I have a weird issue to where my media library in itunes/media folder will not scan all the directories properly. Basically I have to point it to artist folders individually in preferences to get it to work. I really need a directory structure that works for android and itunes so that I can do both.. Any suggestions?

Can you PM me
Old 17th September 2011, 11:48   #8
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

d4lions - classic networking is still available on Windows 7, just hidden out of sight a little bit. Have far have you got with this working? I can walk you through the rest.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support