Old 21st March 2014, 19:18   #1
Gumby Clay

Change name of playlists

I've been using Winamp since MusicMatch jukebox was sold to Yahoo.I'm currently using Win amp 5.66 and have just discovered that my playlists are not being stored where I have traditionally kept them (X:\My Documents\Playlists). I have now found out that they are stored in C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ml\playlists. When I went to this location I also discovered that all the playlist names are now a randomized collection of letters and numbers. Is there any way to convert these filenames back to the more descriptive file names which are easier to understand for human being. I often find it easier to edit my playlists in a text editor. With filenames as they currently are it makes it difficult to find the playlist I want to edit.
Gumby Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 23:38   #2
DrO

first thing is to update to 5.666 build 3516 and apply the dll patches from http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=156839#known2

then, if the playlists in X:\My Documents\Playlists are as you'd expect them to be, you could delete all of the ones that Winamp has made a copy off and re-import the ones from X:\My Documents\Playlists, ensuring to check the option to use the original playlist instead of a Winamp managed copy (which should do what you're wanting so the X:\My Documents\Playlists are the ones that are the only ones used / updated).

if not, you can look in playlists.xml in the settings folder to work out what named playlist relates to which file (which is done that way to allow for duplicate playlist names not messing up other unrelated copies of the playlists) and either move them (once renamed) into X:\My Documents\Playlists or do as above after merging any changes back to the non-Winamp maintained versions.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014, 14:53   #3
Gumby Clay

Thanks, that worked perfectly.
Old 23rd March 2014, 21:11   #4
DrO

which option did you go with in the end?
Old 23rd March 2014, 22:30   #5
Gumby Clay

I checked the playlists.xml and discovered there were only 4 playlists that I didn't have in my X:\My Documents\Playlists so I renamed them then moved them to X:\My Documents\Playlists. I then moved the Winamp created playlists to another location (just to be on the safe side). I then ran Winamp and imported my playlists from X:\My Documents\Playlists and made certain that I selected the 'use the original playlist' option. It all came out perfectly. Thanks again.
Old 23rd March 2014, 22:33   #6
DrO

glad it's working ok and thanks for taking the time to reply
Old 19th January 2017, 16:50   #7
BBear

I need to bring this back from the dead with three follow up questions:

1. I can't find under options to disable "Winamp Managed Playlists". Could someone clarify under which Option Tab this is located or maybe the correct name for it?

2. I want to have the playlists saved and accessed under my selected folder, like discussed in the thread. I would like to know if after making the solution above to work, if NEW created playlists under Winamp will automatically be saved in the folder I chose.

3. Is the DLL package mentioned part of the most recent Winamp package or still needs to be installed separately? I am not clear if I need to install it or not.

Thanks in advance!

BB
BBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2017, 21:06   #8
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBear View Post
1. I can't find under options to disable "Winamp Managed Playlists". Could someone clarify under which Option Tab this is located or maybe the correct name for it?
There isn't an option to disable "Winamp Managed Playlists". When you import external playlists (made by Winamp or another app) to the media library, you now have an option (in the current Winamp version) to make copies of the external playlists or links to them. When you right-click on the "Playlists" heading in the column on the left-hand side of the media library window/panel, you can select the "Import playlist from folder..." context menu command. This opens a window that allows you to browse to a folder that contains the external playlists and select the option ("Use original playlist instead of a Winamp managed copy") to import them as links instead of copies.

When an external playlist is changed, it's copy in Winamp is not automatically updated. Where as links to external playlists always reflect the current status of the linked playlists. Of course Winamp is able to access and use external playlists from whatever folder they are in. Importing them to the media library as copies or links is merely a convenience.

There are other right-click context menu commands within Winamp that allow you to make new playlists of selected files. These are internal library playlists ("Winamp Managed Playlists"). If you select any of these commands, the window that opens only allows you to give the playlist a name or cancel the operation.

Quote:
2. I want to have the playlists saved and accessed under my selected folder, like discussed in the thread. I would like to know if after making the solution above to work, if NEW created playlists under Winamp will automatically be saved in the folder I chose.
You must use the "Save playlist..." command to make Winamp create external playlists. After selecting the files you want from a list of files in the playlist editor or media library, use the Ctrl + S keyboard shortcut (press both keys at the same time) to activate this command.

This opens a window that allows you to browse to a folder you want to save the playlist in and give it a name. This window defaults to the last folder Winamp used, which may or may not be the folder you want to save the playlist in.

These new external playlists are not automatically added to the media library. You must import them if you want them listed in the media library.

Quote:
3. Is the DLL package mentioned part of the most recent Winamp package or still needs to be installed separately? I am not clear if I need to install it or not.
There is a patched installer of the current Winamp version that you can use to update your current installation. It contains these DLL files and a few other updates. Use this link (http://meggamusic.co.uk/winamp/Winamp_Download.htm) to get to download links for the patched installer.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v20H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Last edited by Aminifu; 19th January 2017 at 22:51.
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support