Old 23rd June 2003, 00:06   #1
Nimelennar
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nimelennar
Printer Issues

I would post this in a troubleshooting thread, but it has nothing to do with Winamp.

My printer isn't printing well. Whenever I try to print something, it prints about 5 lines and then stops, and Windows gives me an error that the printer is out of paper, even though there is already a page halfway in the middle of printing. (Note: If the printer WERE out of paper, it wouldn't send the message to Windows right away, first it would stop the green "busy" light from flashing and make it solid, and start the yellow "error" light flashing. When Windows displays the error, the green light is falshing and the yellow light is off, as if it were printing normally.)
If I print something, it fails, and then I delete and reinstall the printer, it works again, for a little while. Then it repeats the error. Actually, if I reinstall the driver before I print anything, it'll still stop printing in the middle of the job.
Another thing wrong: If I turn the printer on and print something, the printer won't do anything. After I turn it off and on again, then it'll immediately start to print. If the printer is off and I send the document to the printer, then I turn it on, it works.

Can anyone help me? Thanks.

System Specs:
Clone PC
Intel Pentium 4 Processor @ 1.5 GHz
256 MB SDRAM
Windows XP Professional OS
HP Deskjet 670C Printer
Nimelennar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2003, 00:26   #2
d0rk
I contribute nothing.
(Forum King)

We had the same type of problem

1) Check to see if there is a paper jam
2) Have the printer self clean

worked for us

I came for the hatred.
I stayed for the ballbag.
d0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2003, 00:30   #3
Nimelennar
Major Dude

1) Can't be a paper jam... I hit the power button to abort the print job, and it spits it out fine.
2) How?

The world is made of conflicts: good and evil, order and chaos, light and dark, hot and cold. All are essential to life. None can prevail for any length of time, or life will fail. In the end, the best any can hope for is balance.
Old 23rd June 2003, 00:34   #4
Nimelennar
Major Dude

Never mind... I found it.

The world is made of conflicts: good and evil, order and chaos, light and dark, hot and cold. All are essential to life. None can prevail for any length of time, or life will fail. In the end, the best any can hope for is balance.
Old 23rd June 2003, 00:35   #5
ujay
Forum King

Most of my printer troubles have come from dodgey cables. Try a different cable if you have one, if not try pluging the cable in and out half a dozen times to freshen up the contacts.
Does the printer have a self test mode that doesn't need a cable plugged in, does this work o.k.??

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2003, 00:40   #6
Nimelennar
Major Dude

Ok... did the self-clean thing... then tried to print an email, and it stopped in mid-print again.
Would the fact that I'm entirely out of yellow ink have anything to do with this? I doubt it... but I had to suggest it.
And no, it doesn't have a self-test that doesn't require a cable. However, the self-clean thing printed all of the way through.
Going to try the cable thing.

Old 23rd June 2003, 01:14   #7
Nimelennar
Major Dude

Cable thing seems to have done it... Thanks a lot everyone for your help!

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions