Old 26th June 2003, 20:16   #1
Nimelennar
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nimelennar
There's got to be an English Major in here somewhere...

This is referring to my forum name, Nimelennar. I'm currently writing a novel (it's currently stalled at the moment), where that is the main character's name.
When looking at it, how do you think it's pronounced. Some people think Nime-len-nar, some think Nim-elen-nar
In actuality, it's the second. It comes from three elven words (from Tolkien), Nim=white, elen=star, nàr=fire.
What I want to know is there some way I can accent the i (ì,î,ï) that will make the name being pronounced correctly.
There is an easy solution: Double the "m". However, I'm not sure if that would affect the meaning. And besides, I think, just in terms of aesthetics, Nimelennar looks better then Nimmelennar.

Can anybody help me with this? Thanks a lot!

Nimelennar (Nim-elen-nar)
Nimelennar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2003, 20:24   #2
J. Burnaway
Forum King

Send a message via Yahoo to J. Burnaway
I'm no English major, but I think just because the name is a conglomerate of three words doesn't mean it has to be pronounced as if it was three separate words.

But, I think to get the effect you are looking for, you might want to accent the first e. That will give that syllable emphasis, automatically separating it from the Nim start. I don't know Elven, so I couldn't tell you which accent mark to use. It's a made up language anyways, so you can probably do whatever you want.

(Of course I guarantee that someone will link to some Elven grammar dictionary site that some LOTR enthusiast has written)
J. Burnaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2003, 20:30   #3
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
Zylot from the ZT Center is a major in english. You may want to ask him.. He posts here every now and then, I'll direct him in this direction.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2003, 01:12   #4
Nat_roy

To tell you the truth, I actually pronounced it right the first time, and I dont think that you need to make the pronunciation of the name absolutely clear. Peoples interpretation of the way things are read in a book is part of the experience of reading. But if its really neccesary, I would go with the double 'm'.

Nat_roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2003, 01:20   #5
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Send a message via ICQ to Xerxes
Not relevant yet .... very relavent...

Now is the time for all good Americans to come to the aid of their Country
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2003, 02:45   #6
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
pronounciation woudl depened completely on where you live. dialect, etc. for example, buffet looiks liek "buff-et" in american, but is french and is said "buff-a" (more or less). i don't think there is a "correct" and incorrect way to say it (within reason)
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2003, 04:49   #7
Nimelennar
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nimelennar
I know that, but in my story, elven is a rare language, and literacy isn't very common even in whatever common language is spoken, so the main character would probably be introduced by name, out loud. So the name itself, when rendered into the story, would first, not be in the elven runes that originally marked it, so any rendering of it would be, like a rendering of Chinese words in Roman letters, an inaccurate representation of the original lettering, and second, it would be more a rendering of the sound than the runes.
Actually, after saying all that, I'm really withdrawing all reason to not double the m except the aesthetic.
Nimelennar does look better, doesn't it?

The world is made of conflicts: good and evil, order and chaos, light and dark, hot and cold. All are essential to life. None can prevail for any length of time, or life will fail. In the end, the best any can hope for is balance.
Nimelennar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2003, 06:21   #8
J. Burnaway
Forum King

Send a message via Yahoo to J. Burnaway
Quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes
Not relevant yet .... very relavent...
I was thinking along the same lines, but you will notice I carefully chose the word "enthusiast" in my post, when other words might have been a bit more descriptive.
J. Burnaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2003, 07:18   #9
White Raven
Little Winged One

Re: There's got to be an English Major in here somewhere...

Quote:
Originally posted by Nimelennar
This is referring to my forum name, Nimelennar. I'm currently writing a novel (it's currently stalled at the moment), where that is the main character's name.
When looking at it, how do you think it's pronounced. Some people think Nime-len-nar, some think Nim-elen-nar
In actuality, it's the second. It comes from three elven words (from Tolkien), Nim=white, elen=star, nàr=fire.
What I want to know is there some way I can accent the i (ì,î,ï) that will make the name being pronounced correctly.
There is an easy solution: Double the "m". However, I'm not sure if that would affect the meaning. And besides, I think, just in terms of aesthetics, Nimelennar looks better then Nimmelennar.

Can anybody help me with this? Thanks a lot!

I'm an English major, I'm currently writing four novels simultaneously. I'd love to help you out.

I would add a second 'l' to solve your syllable problem.

Nimellennar would be more likely to be pronounced the way you want, but however when I saw it the first time, I pronounced it the way you wanted. Just depends on the readers, I suppose.

just as feathery as ever | portfolio | a poignant quote
White Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2003, 20:52   #10
old and quite mad
Major Dude

Re: There's got to be an English Major in here somewhere...

Quote:
Originally posted by Nimelennar

What you did right there.

"I don't even use winamp or really know what it is. yeah" - Thedesignisgreat
old and quite mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2003, 22:32   #11
RoboBlaster

I am just a minor, but you might just want to put a breve accent mark above the first e. Nimĕlennar. Use the character map to find it.
RoboBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions