• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SoLoRiZe
    • Jul 2002

Shoutcast stream buffering problem - possible cause pin pointed

Hi,

Over the past 5 months I have been having constant buffering problems on my
    Shoutcast Streams. Which I think I have finally worked out where the problem could lie.

I have narrowed it down to the Windows 10, April 2018 Update (version 1803)
    So just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems with buffering, since the
    above Windows 10 update?

Background on my buffering problem and what I did to pinpoint where I think the problem is.

I have four Shoutcast streams that I run from my laptop at home using:
    WinAMP: 5.666 Build 3516
    DSP Plugin: 2.3.5 build 222
    DNAS: 2.5.5.733

Shoutcast Streams:
    256kbps MP3
    128kbps MP3
    64kbps AAC
    12kbps AAC

I noticed that my 256kbps stream started buffering after approx. 5mins, every time
    I connected. So I checked my 128kbps stream and that started to buffer after approx. 9mins.

With what I was seeing, it looked like it happened after a certain amount of data had been
    sent. i.e. with the 128kbps (which is half the speed of the 256kbps stream), taking twice
    the amount of time before the buffering occurred.

I also ran a continuous ping test to see if there were any latency problems.
    I was getting: Pings ~8-20ms, so I ruled that being a problem.

I have plenty enough bandwidth for my required listeners slots, so know that is not a problem,
    as have been running for years without this buffering problem. I have also checked my
    router/modem connection speed and it still reports the same upload and download speed and
    no problems reported. I also ran a speed test and that confirmed all was OK.

I tried switching from Wifi to wired Ethernet connection, but I still had the buffering problem.

I also turned off the router/modem for 2hours, turned it back on and had everything
    connected back again, the buffering still occurred.

I flushed and renewed my DNS servers via ipconfig. Just on the off chance to see if that helped,
    but it did not.

I then disabled all my streams, with the exception of the 256kbps stream.
    Turned off my AntiVirus and Firewall and then rebooted my laptop.
    Then tested again, but I still had the buffering problem.

Last-ditch attempt

After exhausting everything I could think of, I then decided to bite the bullet and restore
    a previous backed-up 'disk image' of my whole system.

So after going incrementally back through all my backups I finally got to one that did not buffer
    my streams, which I had taken back in March 2018 (Before this April Windows 10 update!)
    So I let the system run for a couple of days and I did not experience any buffering, all worked
    correctly and smoothly!

With everything looking good, I decided to step-through/install the various available Windows
    updates to see if I started to get the buffering again... and low and behold! Once the
    April 2018 Update (version 1803) was installed the buffering came back, so I had finally
    pin pointed the culprit!

Conclusion

Now I am stuck as what to do, as I have dropped back to the working backup, but Windows 10
    will automatically update me to the 1803 version at some point, and I will end up with the
    buffering problem again.

I have looked online into the various ways to disable windows updates, but it looks like no
    matter what you; edit/tweak etc.. Windows update will re-enable itself and force the updates.

From what I can see none of these are truly permanent ways of disabling the updates. And
    even if I could do it permanently, this would mean my system would not get security fixes and
    would gradually become vulnerable/unstable.

Lifeline?

So now I’m just hoping that someone on this forum know’s what in the Windows April 1803 update
    may be affecting the shoutcast stream/buffer, and a possible fix/workaround etc.. that I can try.

Any help would be appreciated.
    +.:: MRD Photogrpahy ::.+
    http://www.mrdphotography.co.uk
  • DJ-Garybaldy
    Forum King
    • Sep 2003

Have you tested other Stand Alone Encoders to see if they buffer?

If they do the same as the DSP then you need to speak to your ISP to report upload issues on your connection.

RadioDJ - Winamp - SAMBC

Comment

• SoLoRiZe
      • Jul 2002

Hi DJ-Garybaldy,

Thanks for your reply.

I am pretty sure that it is not anything to do with the DSP / Encoding.
      nor my ISP.

As everything works fine if I restore my 'disk image' of Window 10 ver. 1709,
      which I was running before the Window 10 update ver. 1803.

I have tested again today, by restoring Win10 ver. 1709 and then listening
      to my streams for a couple of hours and there was no buffering. But as soon as
      I do a Windows update, which installs the April 1803 update.. bang my streams
      start buffering again after 5mins or so.

So it is definitely something within this update that causes the streams to buffer.

I will however try some other Encoders, as you suggest, just to see if it miraculously
      helps, but I am pretty certain that I will have the same problem.

Comment

• jaromanda
        Forum King
        • Jun 2007

It's most likely either an audio device driver or network device driver - though you say you've used both ethernet and wifi with exactly the same issue, so, my guess is some bug/regression/pain in the ass change with an audio device driver
        "If you don't like DNAS, write your own damn system"

So I did

Comment

• jorge soto
          • Feb 2018

I don't think it's your system, I think it's a shoutcast problem, I have the same issues and I'm not using windows, I run Linux.

Comment

• dopelabs
            Major Dude
            • Oct 2006

its probably a combination... has anyone tested from a well connected system in a data center? from different geographic locations? i can test from san jose ca, fremont ca, los angeles ca, london uk, and zurich ch.

using an sc_serv running at one of the above locations, theres 2 ways to set this up.

to test FROM shoutcast to sc_serv, you would configure at shoutcast to relay sc_serv, then stream to sc_serv.

to test TO shoutcast from sc_serv, you would stream to sc_serv, then we can use any number of tools to tune in and re-stream/relay to shoutcast.

as is most often the case, data centers will use different providers for their inbound and outbound traffic. so being able to test both using the 'push/pull' methods above can be informative.

i can also provide load testing to see if maybe its a bandwidth related issue...

msg me if this might sound like something youd want to do

Comment

• SoLoRiZe
              • Jul 2002

After spending the past week testing and trying various things to
              rectify my buffering problem, I think *fingers crossed* I have finally
              found what the cause was and so far it all seems to work with no
              buffering issues.

Testing under Windows 10 update 1803

I can confirm that running another 'Stand Alone Encoder', I tried
              MB Recaster, it also had the buffering problems too.

So I ruled out it being a specific problem with an encoder.

I then Dropping back again to a Windows 10 backup image 'pre update 1803'

Re-tested with Shoucast Encoder, and everything works fine with no
              buffering. Also with MB Recaster there was no buffering either.

So I was now 100% sure that it was something in the 1803 Windows 10 update
              that has caused the buffering problem.

What I eventually found out was..

After checking my audio drivers pre and post Win 10 update 1803
              I noticed that the High Definition Audio Device drivers were
              updated;

From
              version:10.0.1.16299.251
              date:21-02-2018

To
              version 10.0.17134.228
              date:03-08-2018

So I then trawled the iNet to see if anyone else had this problem
              and after about 4hrs of searching and narrowing my search down
              to people who had audio problems with my specific laptop after
              the Windows 10 update 1803. I finally stumbled upon this thread:

Microsoft updated to 1803 version and the audio is not working properly anymore... in any output I use. I tried switching from IDT drivers to High Definition drivers (as suggested so many times in...

In which a poster stated that they installed an older version of the
              Intel Rapid Storage Driver, driver version 14.8.0.1042, for a client
              who had audio problems and it had worked.

So I tried this.... and low and behold no more buffering problems !! Result LOL.

Conclusion:

So I can definitely state that it was the 1803 update that has caused the buffering problem,
              as I these drivers must have been updated.

Obviously the above remedy worked for me for my specific machine,
              but hopefully this may help other people know where to look if they have
              similar buffering problems.

Thanks again for everyone who replied to this post, much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
              X