Old 3rd October 2011, 07:11   #1
TobiasAndrion

Hey this is my first effect

Hey guys, this is my first evar effect in milkdrop. It's nothing fancy and I would ask for advice but it would probably be lost to me anyway. This was mostly just me messing around with settings until I was satisfied (trying to decipher that one outdated tutorial the whole time).

Let me know what you think
Attached Files
File Type: milk crazyzoom.milk (5.0 KB, 174 views)
TobiasAndrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 18:09   #2
TobiasAndrion

Just updated it. I tweaked the zoom and I think it is much cooler now.
Attached Files
File Type: milk crazyzoom2.milk (5.0 KB, 165 views)
TobiasAndrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 18:51   #3
blastofftek

Hello TobiasAndrion and welcome to MilkDrop. Don't feel uncomfortable, I'm a total noob too

Your preset is a good start... by reading your settings I see that you've been fiddling with custom shapes and custom waves too. You generally did some quick research. Let me give you some tips and advice.

Try checking the textured option in a shape and see what it does... you might like it, experiment with 'textured', 'texture angle', 'texture zoom' and 'additive drawing' to exercise.
By reading other presets you learn interesting stuff. Many use textured shapes, and some use multiple instances of a shape too (normal or textured). Do take often looks on others' codes and settings (by pressing M), you'll find valuable tricks in there. Also remember to save often (with S). It's REALLY annoying when you lose two hours' work....

About names... prefix the name of your preset with your name, to let us identify and classify your presets, like 'TobiasAndrion - crazyzoom2'. You also don't have to invent some catchy noisy explosive name to attract attention (personal mistake ), like 'superWowBingBangBoom' or 'hyperspace dissolution'... LOL, you get the point No, no. Think like an artist: watch your preset... what do you see? "I see a twisted PVC wire". That's excellent! Name your preset 'twisted PVC wires'. As long as the preset is good, the name won't really matter. [But wonder what would happen if a noisy promising name hides a lame preset? Oops ]

About uploading... don't get disappointed if no one replies to your uploads. We DO watch your presets, and we DO like some of them, but we're not really in the mood of writing replies if we don't really have anything important to say... Also remember that the place here is not that crowded, so don't worry, just keep walk... erm... uploading.
Do download occasionally others' presets too... you learn interesting new stuff and you make them happy too.

Once you get used with the usual settings, after obtaining some expertise, you can step into new lands and worlds: there is the land of custom variables, which is close to ours, where custom variables retain there value between frames. There is the land of per-vertex equations, which is a bit farther, where weird and unexpected zooms, illusions and warps happen. There are rumors that an unknown island exists, the homeland of q1 - q8 (and other) variables, at the other side of our world, where variables retain their values between different codes. And whenever you feel ready to break the limits of sky, there is the vast and treacherous world of shaders, with its two hemispheres, the wrap and the composite, and its moon, the home of t1-t8 variables, which is the only way of communication between the two worlds.

Just let me take a breath and laugh hard for a couple of minutes, little explorer.

So... that's more or less what I wanted to tell you, as a humble noob. I'm telling you the stuff I did when I was just starting. Just keep in mind that being an expert in milkdrop is not an easy thing... if you look into the [recent] code of other, experienced people, like i.e. Martin, Flexi, Geiss, Phat, Unchained & others, just to name some, you'll probably say "NO WAY!!! I cannot ever imagine myself writing just a piece of code like this!! I'm not even worth looking at this code!!"! Yet, they keep saying 'here is a simple one'. Ya, right. Whatever. No comments...

I hope that my advice will help you take your first steps into MilkDrop... I wish you happy authoring and merry Christmas. And if you have *any* questions, don't hesitate to ask.
blastofftek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 20:08   #4
Nitorami
Major Dude

Hi guys

good to see some activity, it has been all too quiet around here for the past months.

Thank you blastofftek for your explanations. I personally gave up on writing long tutorials because I found that the interest of most of the lads out here does not last longer than two weeks anyway. I cannot resist though to point out some errors in your text:

The q variables (32 in total) are meant to pass values from the central per-frame section to all other sections. They work one way only, and are NOT remembered between frames, neither between different presets.

The t variables (8) are only used to pass values from the waves per-frame section to the waves per point subsection.

To the shaders, the q variables are known, but not the t variables.

Two years ago or so the gmegabuf was introduced. It is a virtually unlimited storage array for variables and it can be read and written from everywhere (except shaders).

Cheers
Martin
Nitorami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 09:14   #5
blastofftek

WOOT really? ..ha, told ya that I'm a noob
Thanks for the tips mate!

TobiasAndrion, you still there?
Uuh... his last post was on 3rd oct 2011... so Martin is probably right...
Quote:
I personally gave up on writing long tutorials because I found that the interest of most of the lads out here does not last longer than two weeks anyway.
blastofftek is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets