Old 3rd January 2011, 17:33   #1
Andres90

Winamp crashes after running CCleaner

today I ran CCleaner on my laptop, after doing so, I wanted to listen to some music so I opened winamp, problem was, it crashed right away!

Now I reinstalled it and everything is fine, but the same thing had happened to me before but I never linked it with running CCleaner, now that I realised what it was, I remember the previous times when this happened and in all of them I ran CCleaner before trying to play music (and winamp worked fine before I ran CCleaner)

any ideas on what's going on?
Andres90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 17:59   #2
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Which part of CCleaner - File clean up or registry clean up?

Are you on the "latest" version of CCleaner (check link on bottom right of program)

Assuming you are doing a "file clean up", click on the Applications tab and UNTICK Winamp. Now perform another cleanup - does CCleaner still break Winamp? If no, you have your answer. If yes, then you will need to do a game of "trial and error" of unticking batches of ticks until you find which part of CCleaner is causing this problem.

(It may also be a good idea to check the CCleaner forums as it is their program that is breaking your copy of Winamp)
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 19:47   #3
Andres90

wow you were right! I unticked winamp in the applications tab, ran CCleaner and winamp still works!

thanks!

weird thing is, this had never happened before the previous 2 weeks
Andres90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 20:06   #4
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

It sounds like CCleaner is cleaning something it shouldn't. In the last two weeks have you either upgraded Winamp or CCleaner? If yes - then this shows that there needs to be another update from CCleaner released. I expect their forums have other notes on this.

If you want to know exactly what happened... start CCleaner again, but this time include the Winamp Tick. Now push the ANALYZE button to look at what it wants to clean up. DO NOT PRESS <Run Cleaner>. Just Analyze.

Locate the section CCleaner has about Winamp. Double click it to open it and it will show what it wants to clean up. On my copy of CCleaner, it wants to delete:
%appdata%\winamp\winamp.m3u
%appdata%\winamp\winamp.m3u8
%appdata%\winamp\Plugins\ml\recent.dat

These are the current playlists and "last played" items.

This shows that CCleaner does not need to clean up anything in Winamp for efficiency reasons, just removes tracks of what you have been doing.. So best to just leave Winamp UNTICKED in CCleaner.
Old 4th January 2011, 20:12   #5
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Reading CCleaner's changelog, there has only been support in CCleaner for Winamp since September 2010. And it is debatable if this is something useful to clean up. Many people who use Winamp likes the fact it remembers the "last played" times. In this case, I assume CCleaner is trying to hide Pr0n tracks, etc.

Quote:
v2.36.1233 (27 Sep 2010)

- Added support for Paint Shop Pro X3, VLC Media Player, MediaMonkey, Winamp, Malwarebytes Anti Malware, Avast! Antivirus and WinPatrol.
Remember - CCleaner is an automated tool trying to cover a lot of tasks. Which is why it needs to be configured slightly to take away its "extreme paranoia" default.
Old 5th January 2011, 16:53   #6
Dekandi

God I'm so f'ing mad now. Ran CCleaner a few days ago, and it deleted my entire playlist. This has never happened before with CC. WTF were they thinking when they put that in there? Why on EARTH do I want to clean up my playlist through CC? Kinda eliminates the point of having the playlist.

So that's several years of Winamp history down the drain. Yes, several years. I had around 5000 items on that list when it was deleted, and it was nice to see the "history" of what I've added through the years. But thankfully I had saved the list a while ago, but it's down to 3500 items now.

So thanks Piriform! I almost felt like crying when it happened

Sorry for OT, but maybe someone will see this and think twice before running CCleaner. And does anyone know a way to get my playlist back? Probably the Windows System Restore will do it, but is there any other way?
Dekandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 18:34   #7
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

CCleaner assumes you are trying to hide what you have been watching. Because Winamp can play video, Piriform assume you are watching Pr0n, so they scrub all tracks of that away.

Note on the features page http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/features

It is not exactly very clear that "Removes temp files and recent file lists (MRUs) from many apps" will kill these important files in Winamp. This is why it is always worth looking closely into the settings of any program that you are going to run.

I do agree that this is a really annoying feature to sneak into that product.

As to recovery - which OS are you on?
Old 5th January 2011, 20:38   #8
Dekandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
As to recovery - which OS are you on?
Windows XP.
Dekandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 21:14   #9
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

XP. Ah - no rollback then. So it is going to be worth trying that system restore, but I'd take a copy of Winamp's %appdata% folder first.
Old 6th January 2011, 10:07   #10
kzuse

Send a message via ICQ to kzuse Send a message via Skype™ to kzuse
Generally, it is not a good idea to keep your "life's playlist" just in Winamp's "current playlist".

You must understand, that Winamp's current playlist (saved in Winamp.m3u and Winamp.m3u8 every time you close Winamp) was intentionally thought as a "temporary", or "work" playlist.

Also note that, depending on your settings (but by default it is set so), double-clicking on a media file in your Windows Explorer overrides your current playlist and only inserts the double-clicked file into it, to play it right now.

Of course, you can set Winamp to add a new file to the playlist when double-clicking it in Windows Explorer, instead of replacing the playlist by just the one file.

But in general, you should not rely on the current playlist to be "eternal" and never be deleted. Also, some actions in Media Library or Winamp itself can override the Playlist.

If you want to organize your music and keep it in some order, use Winamp's Media Library instead! (You can also create playlists there.).

Best regards,
kzuse

PS: One addition: I love CCleaner and its feature to delete Winamp.m3u, in fact, I had configured it manually to delete it as a "custom file" long before they officially added Winamp support to CCleaner. And it's just because I want to start every "Winamp session" with a fresh, clean playlist, then add the kind of music that I want to listen to right now, album by album, from the Library and then click play. The "Recently played" plugin is not installed at all in my Winamp installation.

Nonetheless, Winamp should not crash if recent.dat is deleted by any other program, so I would consider this a Winamp bug?!
kzuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 16:23   #11
MarklinPinazo

I'm using Winamp since 2012, and I cleaned up my laptop daily with CCleaner. I did not face any problem with Winamp such as you said.
MarklinPinazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports