Old 27th December 2006, 04:40   #1
struckpx
Banned

Crap Listeners This Week???

Who else is getting crap listenership this week?? LOL, either my station pulled a Mel Gibson, or there is no one listening.

Are you guys experiencing the same trend??

If not, just say yes to make me feel good. It is the holidays after all!!! . Spread some of that Christmas/New Year Cheer! lol.

Happy New Year,

Peace

Last edited by struckpx; 27th December 2006 at 06:32.
struckpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2006, 08:38   #2
NJK
Forum Frisian

what's new??
it's the same as each year around this time.

Darkwave radio 24/7 --
-----------------------------------
Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.
NJK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2006, 09:06   #3
Nick@ss

people are a little pre-occupied doing real life stuff this week

try it go and give your mom a big hug
Nick@ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2006, 09:39   #4
Greg_E
Major Dude

If only you could get streams in your car..... You guys in the UK are a lot closer than we are here in the US. What's the 3GP service like over there? If it was more widely available here I would put up a Darwin server in a heartbeat.

Your mileage may vary!
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2006, 14:07   #5
fc*uk

welcome to all of the college kiddies being unplugged from their blazing fast campus network. I noticed the hit once school let out in the states...
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2006, 15:12   #6
Jay
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg_E
If only you could get streams in your car..... You guys in the UK are a lot closer than we are here in the US. What's the 3GP service like over there? If it was more widely available here I would put up a Darwin server in a heartbeat.
speak for yourself, I listen to internet radio in my car here in Texas.

Road trip from austin to dallas listening to nothing but my internet radio station through a $15 service. It is available just no one knows about it widely yet.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2006, 15:30   #7
fc*uk

/me googles.....
Old 27th December 2006, 20:13   #8
Greg_E
Major Dude

Not in New York, or at least where I am. Our station can not broadcast because all the channels are full, so internet in your car is the only way that they will be able to get our stream in a car. Japan is full of phones that can do this, and Europe is growing to critical mass, but most of the US is way behind....

That was one reason I went with Orban's OpticodecPE, it will allow 4 different types of simultaneous encoding from one license. I plan on sending a Shoutcast stream for home, a 3GP stream through Darwin Streaming Server, and whatever else I want to do with the other two encoders. There's a possibility of getting our school hooked up to iTunesU, and then I'll probably set up an AAC 128k stream to that service, though there might be licensing issues that I'll have to look into. I have money in the budget to buy the server for the DSS application so I'll probably set that up sometime this spring (for what it's worth).

Verizon calls the 3GPP service EVDO now, and then you need to have a compatible phone. I'm not sure what Cingular is doing.

Your mileage may vary!
Old 27th December 2006, 22:20   #9
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Yeah, doing a show last week and doing a show friday is really pointless. Pre-recorded ftw.
tuckerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2006, 22:52   #10
Jay
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg_E
Not in New York, or at least where I am. Our station can not broadcast because all the channels are full, so internet in your car is the only way that they will be able to get our stream in a car. Japan is full of phones that can do this, and Europe is growing to critical mass, but most of the US is way behind....

That was one reason I went with Orban's OpticodecPE, it will allow 4 different types of simultaneous encoding from one license. I plan on sending a Shoutcast stream for home, a 3GP stream through Darwin Streaming Server, and whatever else I want to do with the other two encoders. There's a possibility of getting our school hooked up to iTunesU, and then I'll probably set up an AAC 128k stream to that service, though there might be licensing issues that I'll have to look into. I have money in the budget to buy the server for the DSS application so I'll probably set that up sometime this spring (for what it's worth).

Verizon calls the 3GPP service EVDO now, and then you need to have a compatible phone. I'm not sure what Cingular is doing.
I am tuning in through EVDO on Sprint's cellular network so likely it is available to do in New York, I am not sure what you are referring to by all bands taken up. If you mean FM then that is not what I am referring to. All I needed to purchase was a PDA phone. Darwin server not needed and I have access to all shoutcast servers wirelessly in the car. Last EVDO coverage map I looked at about 35% of america was covered so that ain't as bad as what you elude to. Especially considering that this is mostly all of the urbanized areas.
Old 27th December 2006, 23:27   #11
Wavestreaming
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Wavestreaming Send a message via Yahoo to Wavestreaming
I'm not personally, but know a good deal of people who are on 3G - its very widely covered here in the UK and www.three.co.uk have some good deals, however, bandwidth is still very expensive via mobiles.

One of my friends managed to wind up a £250 bill when he didn't have the internet for a while and had to resort to browsing on his PC connected via his phone!
Wavestreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2006, 23:41   #12
Greg_E
Major Dude

Maybe I better look at Verizon's map again. With the RTSP aac+ you need not have a PDA phone to listen to music. Many of the Nokia phones will work. Nokia helped right the "standard" for 3GP media services and phone browsers. There is a lot of info on Nokia's web site and in their forums.

The PDA phones are nice because you can run a variety of pocket media players, but might be over kill for the typical consumer.

And yes my reference to no channels was the FM band which has nothing to do with signals to phones. And I don't want to limit consumers to Sprint, until Verizon and Cingular have the support for this service, it can not be mass market as they are both without a doubt the market leaders. I would say that between Verizon and Cingular they have about 80+ percent of the market share in this region. The other 20 or less is made up of a bunch of different companies with Sprint at probably only about a total of 10 percent saturation. Sprint has problems with coverage in this area, unless they have made a deal with one of the other two under a contract.

Down where you are this might be extremely different because of the way that the cellular market started down there. In New York, and the north east, a company called NYNEX (New York New England something) built a really solid network. NYNEX was a spin off from the Bell company when the government stepped in and broke it apart. Eventually Verizon bought up NYNEX and had the momentum to really get going. It was not too many more years until they (Verizon) conquered the nation again. Now they are trying to build up that nation wide network, but that takes major money, and the old NYNEX system is funding a major portion of that growth (as is any other major metropolitan area). This all comes from my direct experience with this company... I've had the same cellular phone number since 1990 starting with NYNEX. I may have the oldest account with them, they even had to issue me a new account number because they had to reissue that old number to someone else. All the credit goes back to the NYNEX company who built such a strong network to use as the base.

Cingular has finally caught up in our area, and that has taken almost 10 years of constant work and building towers.

Part of the reason that Sprint has such a large EVDO system is because they were locked out of the 800Mhz cell phone band by the ex-Bell (type B provider) and Cingular (type A provider) companies. Now that 800Mhz is starting to bite those companies in the ass because of the number of channels that can be crammed into the 800meg band.

Your mileage may vary!
Old 27th December 2006, 23:58   #13
Jay
Moderator Alumni

i think more of my point is that the capability is there. Consumer adoption is a whole 'nother topic which involves the viability of internet radio as a whole. I will save that for some other thread or time .

I certainly do realize that I may be one of a hand full of people in my city who can do this or does do this. When I tell my friends and family about this capability they all seem puzzled. I think the concept still has a few years to go beyond the capability.
Old 28th December 2006, 00:53   #14
Thebig429

Getting back to the topic a little bit Crap Listeners This Week???
I noticed fri that the yp in winamp is now back to sorting stations by the most number of listeners first.
Where for a while there it was sorting AAC+ first by bitrate.
Here is how it was

( i cut off the format part which was AAC+)

Cadillac Radio
Classic rock from the 60s to the 90s

listen here

Talk Webcasting .com - The Webcaster's Second Home

Last edited by Thebig429; 28th December 2006 at 01:52.
Thebig429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 14:14   #15
fc*uk

I saw this and simply thought 'wow'.

But the cell phone route is much more affordable...

Old 28th December 2006, 17:34   #16
Jay
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by Thebig429
Getting back to the topic a little bit Crap Listeners This Week???
I noticed fri that the yp in winamp is now back to sorting stations by the most number of listeners first.
Where for a while there it was sorting AAC+ first by bitrate.
Here is how it was
[Image]
( i cut off the format part which was AAC+)
what part of that image leads you to believe it is sorted by listener? It looks sorted by bitrate to me.
Old 29th December 2006, 02:46   #17
Thebig429

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
what part of that image leads you to believe it is sorted by listener? It looks sorted by bitrate to me.
That is correct. Bit rate + AAC+ was the default, that is how it was until last fri.

Now if you look in the yp the default is by listeners. Mp3 & aac+ together.

So before the change if you were broadcasting in 128 AAC+ you were always going to be listed in the yp in the top positions like the picture above.

Cadillac Radio

listen here

Old 29th December 2006, 16:36   #18
sputnik radio
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Thebig429
That is correct. Bit rate + AAC+ was the default, that is how it was until last fri.

Now if you look in the yp the default is by listeners. Mp3 & aac+ together.

So before the change if you were broadcasting in 128 AAC+ you were always going to be listed in the yp in the top positions like the picture above.
Man i just realized that. THAT SUX bad..

I mean people who are getting like thousands of listeneres are not in need of that advantage . They are already maxed out. So why advantage those not in need? typical attitude.

I liked it better the other way. This way Blows and whoever thought of it is a real SFB

I mean honestly ..What do i need winamp or nullsoft or shoutcast for now?

There is absolutely no reason for me to stick with any of them now. The SOLE purpose and USE I got from them is now moot.

I can use ice cast now or all kinds of other stuff.

You are taking away the only benifit that the masses need you for.

Now you can kiss your business good bye NULLSOFT.
sputnik radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2006, 01:07   #19
Thebig429

Hang in there
sputnik
I switched from 128 aac+ to 128 mp3. Waiting to see how it does when everyone goes back to school.

Cadillac Radio

listen here

Old 30th December 2006, 01:25   #20
fc*uk

heh. my stats just fell to zero.... my server is down too.

Normally an easy for someone to fix.... however, being about 400 miles away right now makes it quite difficult to fix...

Bah!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2nd January 2007, 00:13   #21
fc*uk

addendum:

punk hacked my box. I reported their IP to sbc and they have now lost their internets.

I hope it was worth it...

On the bright side, I learned that vnc is not as secure as they claim :P

Good thing the box was only used for SHOUTcast. Must have pissed the dude off to learn there was no personal information or anything other than the OS, Winamp, and vnc on the box.
Old 2nd January 2007, 00:38   #22
Greg_E
Major Dude

Another reason for specific use boxes.

Usually they hack it to set up a fast FTP for file "sharing". Did you find any good movies on the drives?

Your mileage may vary!
Old 2nd January 2007, 22:16   #23
fc*uk

Nope. No such goodie bag for me other than a reconfigured router.

Like the idiot did not expect that was going to be the second thing I checked.
Old 2nd January 2007, 22:50   #24
Greg_E
Major Dude

Did you happen to run through the box to check for virus? Wouldn't surprise me if he dropped something in there for the next reboot, that's if VNC gives you that kind of control over the box.

Your mileage may vary!
Old 2nd January 2007, 22:57   #25
fc*uk

vnc should not have allowed that ... but then again vnc should not have allowed any of its settings to be changed and they were...

So because it was only the shoutcast box and the music was backed up on NAS, I just wiped the drive and pulled the music back. Only took me about a half hour. I felt it would have taken longer if I actually went hunting for problems like viruses....
Old 2nd January 2007, 22:59   #26
dotme

Yep... flattening and rebuilding a compromised box is the only way to go.
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 02:55   #27
Greg_E
Major Dude

Ghost to the rescue, 10 minutes???

Your mileage may vary!
Old 22nd May 2017, 08:21   #28
morgan01

Review

If only you could get streams in your car. You guys in the UK are a lot closer than we are here in the US. What's the 3GP service like over there? If it was more widely available here I would put up a Darwin server in a heartbeat.

best assignment writing service uk | uk assignment writing
morgan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 08:16   #29
Jessicabarden
Banned

well info
Jessicabarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Discussions