Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Old 29th November 2013, 22:01   #121
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
Reproduced the crash with that file, also it doesn't crash when I open the mass tagger via the library only via playlist it crashes.

I've checked the file with MP3Val and there does not to seem any issues with the header or the tag.

I'm not able to create a report with procdump, when Winamp closed, procdump only said, that the process has been exited.
Koopa, Thanks for varifying that. I also tried to check the tags and such to see if there was any difference between the files that would make it crash and the ones that didn't. I wasn't able to find anything out of the ordinary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinsound View Post
For me it's only crashing when I click 'Update' without actually updating any of the tags. If I select a tag and change it, then click 'Update', it doesn't crash. Is that what everyone else is seeing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
Nope getting the crash when i update 'Producer' field for example.
I get the crash no matter if I update a field or not, as long as I press update, it crashes. And like I said, on some mp3 files, it will crash, on others, it will not. So I don't know what the difference between the files (or way that the files are processed) might be.
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 22:18   #122
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
does it matter if the file is currently playing or not?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 00:45   #123
lostinsound

I'm also finding that when you use 'Edit metadata for selection...' in the Playlist Editor for tracks that aren't already in the Media Library, it adds the tracks to the Media Library when you click 'Update'. Not sure if that's intended or not.
lostinsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 02:06   #124
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
I'm also finding that when you use 'Edit metadata for selection...' in the Playlist Editor for tracks that aren't already in the Media Library, it adds the tracks to the Media Library when you click 'Update'. Not sure if that's intended or not.
I see the same behaviour. I hope that is not intended.
Files in the Playlist Editor can be added to the Library using the Send To menu and my opinion is that files should not be added merely because their metadata is edited.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 03:31   #125
MrSinatra
Forum King

I think I went over a similar issue with DrO where when you'd rate a file currently playing that wasn't in the ML, simply rating it then added it to the ML.

my recollection is that he said nothing really could be done about it, b/c the behind the scenes mechanics of it made it too difficult to change the behavior of.

--
Old 30th November 2013, 04:32   #126
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

It was a last minute addition.
Let's bear in mind that in 5.65 and earlier, it was a media library feature only.
So files had to already be in the library before you could use the mass editor.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 04:50   #127
Juanus
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
does it matter if the file is currently playing or not?
I have never tried it with the track playing. I have always had a different track playing while trying to edit this track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
It was a last minute addition.
Let's bear in mind that in 5.65 and earlier, it was a media library feature only.
So files had to already be in the library before you could use the mass editor.
You are not going to hear any complaints from me. I love last minute additions. I just wanted to make sure I reported everything I saw before the end of days.
Old 30th November 2013, 08:39   #128
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
As to the 2nd issue, I also see that the 2nd illegal filename is not removed from the list of playlists after a command to delete until Winamp is restarted, but the filenames in the 2nd list are deleted before the restart. The filename of the playlist should have been removed, but at least the filenames in the list were. It is probably to late for this cosmetic error, imo, to be fixed.
Hi Dro Chilla,

Short Version:
Upon further examination this is not a cosmetic bug. On my system attempting to delete the last remaining 'illegal' playlist name appears to do nothing, but it really causes the playlist at the top of the library listing to be deleted. If I keep trying to delete the 'illegal' name, I'm actually deleting other playlists (from the top down)!

I have a long list of playlists and the top of the listing was not visible, so I didn't notice this until today. Luckily the deleted playlists were put in the Recycle Bin, so I was able to retrieve them without having to use my backup files.

Thank you for reporting this bug! I now know not to keep trying if I delete something with Winamp and it appears to not have been deleted.

More Info:
I've always made separate playlists and then imported them to the media library. This is why my playlist names do not have 'illegal' characters in them. Anyway, until the last few Winamp versions, importing only made media library copies of the source lists. So if I deleted the media library copy, I still had the source list. The recently added feature allows linking to the source lists instead of copying them. Since Winamp does not automatically keep the library copy in sync with the source, linking removes the need for making new copies when the source list is changed. The downside of linking is that deleting the list in the library also deletes the source.

A few weeks ago, I deleted all my media library playlist copies and re-imported my playlists using this linking feature. When testing for the bug you reported, I used the "Send to:" context menu command to create media library playlists (with 'illegal' characters in their names) from an active list in the playlist editor. These playlist copies where added to the library listing of my linked to playlists, so the playlists that were inadvertently deleted were my source lists.

Bottom line, I don't know it this bug you discovered is related to the new linking feature or not. With the noble attempt to add so many fixes and improvements to the last AOL supported Winamp version (and the relatively short time for testing), some unintended consequences have occurred. Going forward we need to careful and maintain current backups of anything that could otherwise be irretrievably lost.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2013, 07:59   #129
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
For me it's only crashing when I click 'Update' without actually updating any of the tags. If I select a tag and change it, then click 'Update', it doesn't crash. Is that what everyone else is seeing?
Like ryerman, I can not reproduce a crash with this file (trying everything that's been mentioned). As was the case with MP3Val, MP3 Diags also does not report any errors in this file. I'm also using the same version of msvcr90.dll that Juanus reported.

Most strange, other than Juanus, 2 people can get Winamp to crash with this file and 2 can not.

Old 1st December 2013, 16:32   #130
Juanus
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Like ryerman, I can not reproduce a crash with this file (trying everything that's been mentioned). As was the case with MP3Val, MP3 Diags also does not report any errors in this file. I'm also using the same version of msvcr90.dll that Juanus reported.

Most strange, other than Juanus, 2 people can get Winamp to crash with this file and 2 can not.
It is definitely a random type kind of crash. For me, with some files it happens, and with some it doesn't. (I just picked out one that I could narrow down) And when trying to recreate it, I started to get Pavlovian with it. I wasn't sure if it crashed updating certain fields or maybe the amount of files trying to be updated. I am just glad that other people were able to recreate it.
Old 3rd December 2013, 01:34   #131
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanus View Post
I get a crash on this file (and other files from this publisher) when I used the "Edit Metadata for Selection" feature in the Playlist.
I just added this file to the playlist > right click > Edit Metadata for Selection > Press the Update button and crash.
reproduced, is something to do with the genre handling it seems (from a quick look at a crash dump).
[edit]
checked a bit more and is due to there not being any genre and some quirks with just doing 'update' when there hasn't been any edits actually made.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryerman View Post
I see the same behaviour. I hope that is not intended.
Files in the Playlist Editor can be added to the Library using the Send To menu and my opinion is that files should not be added merely because their metadata is edited.
with the coding of things, it is intended as that's what happened with taking the library implementation and quickly porting it for the pledit. i had meant to add in the means to choose between the behaviour (which would have been an ini option due to the time of when the feature was added) that happened (which will add or update in the library) or allow for it only to update if already in the library along with both actions always trying to update the local file tag (if the option is enabled).

if the library isn't present then it'll work as is being talked about, but when the library is present, it's going to add as it also helps to match the rating behaviour which goes in the library. so not as nice as people would like but with the timings of things and with ensuring consistency with other behaviour, adding to the library is a necessity and fully expected.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 04:49   #132
Juanus
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
reproduced, is something to do with the genre handling it seems (from a quick look at a crash dump).
[edit]
checked a bit more and is due to there not being any genre and some quirks with just doing 'update' when there hasn't been any edits actually made.
So basically just add a genre and all is well. I did that and it seemed to work properly.
Problem solved.
THANKS DrO!
Old 3rd December 2013, 06:00   #133
MrSinatra
Forum King

that explains why I did not see it, as all my files have a genre tag. (love em!)

--
Old 3rd December 2013, 08:02   #134
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
[edit]
So wondering why ryerman and I didn't have a crash, I just tried it again. I enqueued Juanus' file in the playlist editor, opened it in the Shift+E editor (with the option to update the file tags enabled), clicked Update without changing anything (unpopulated genre tag), and all it did was add the file's existing data to my library and updated the file (and it's modification date) without changing any of it's tags.

But when I tried again to update the file without changing anything, I did get the crash. So when the file was not in the library then no crash (creating the original database record and updating the file tags). After it was in the library then the crash (trying to update the record and the file tags).

Populating the genre tag allows things to work. I was even able to remove the genre tag data without a crash. But trying to update again without a populated genre tag (and no other edits) caused a crash.

Note: Disabling the option to update the file tags will prevent a crash, if you use the Update button to exit the editor containing the library record of a file without a genre tag (when there hasn't been any edits actually made).

Bottom line: When using the Update button in the Shift+E editor for a file already in the library and the option to update the file tags is enabled, then it must have a populated genre tag (when there hasn't been any edits actually made).

It is better to use the Cancel button in both the Shift+E and Alt+3 editors when there hasn't been any edits actually made. Using the OK button in the Alt+3 editor will also cause a file update (rewrite of the same tag data) and a change of the file's modification date, even if no edits have actually been made. Fortunately, the Alt+3 editor doesn't care if a particular tag is populated or not.

As Spock may say, it's fascinating that the Shift+E editor does care. Why couldn't it have been one of the tags that is usually populated. Then the bug may have gone unnoticed.

Note: When trying to update tags of a read-only file with the Alt+3 editor, Winamp will generate a notification that the file is protected. When using the Shift+E editor, Winamp will crash given the conditions discussed above, before it can generate this notification.

Old 3rd December 2013, 10:56   #135
Leehong47

Hello,

We are a bug since i use Win8 64bit... (and on the last year of version)
in converting for my a mp3 SdCard for my Car, each title converted lag on 45% or 47% of conversion...
Winamp stay laggy 10-15 sec and become normal...

what's the problem ?

Many Thanks
Leehong47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 14:08   #136
Juanus
Major Dude

awww man... Aminifu did all the cool testing. That's what I get for watching Monday Night Football. But that brings up a question that I am not exactly sure the answer to.
On the Edit screen, what does the check box for "Update file tags if supported by the tagging format" do? I assumed that it meant if you were using non standard tags like APE or Lyrics3 to update those if possible, but I wasn't sure.
Old 3rd December 2013, 14:13   #137
DrO

it controls if it'll just update the library or library + file tags [default] though if there's no library, present, it just updates the file tags and removes the option from being accessed. thus it mirrors the library implementation (be that good or bad).
Old 3rd December 2013, 14:28   #138
Juanus
Major Dude

Quote:
it controls if it'll just update the library or library + file tags [default] though if there's no library, present, it just updates the file tags and removes the option from being accessed. thus it mirrors the library implementation (be that good or bad).
Makes sense. I forget that there are some people who use their Media Library independent of the file tags and vice versa.

Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 15:01   #139
lostinsound

Anyone else notice an extra set of .vmd files in the Winamp\Plugins\ml\views folder that aren't being used at all? Doesn't seem to affect functionality, just thought it was odd. Seems like for each view there is one file named 'metXXXX.vmd' that was put there in the initial installation and another equivalent file without the 'm' at the front ('etXXXX.vmd') that is the one actually being used by Winamp. I looked in gen_ml.ini and it is pointing to the file without the 'm' for each view.

Like I said, it doesn't seem to affect functionality, just thought it was strange.
Old 7th December 2013, 15:06   #140
DrO

that's not correct as there should be just 'metXXXX.vmd' files (which are only created when the view is accessed). the other ones might be from a bug or something else. i've got 2 in my folder though no idea how they got there (guess i'll have to check). the only issue that might be is the view settings aren't being remember correctly.
Old 7th December 2013, 15:25   #141
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Is this a bug or a function I´m not aware of? --> Hold alt while clicking (once) various items in Playlist Editor, each will get highlighted and stay like that..

EDIT: Sorry, it´s a function, I didn´t see the "[1]", "[2]", "[3]" being added each time.. (maybe it wasn´t there the first time..)

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2013, 15:29   #142
lostinsound

I ran a quick 2nd install and it looks like on the initial install only the 'metXXX.vmd' files are put in the views folder but the initial gen_ml.ini has a line like 'queryX_meta=etXXXX.vmd', without the 'm' for each view.

So after the initial install, when you click on one of the views in the ML it creates a new 'etXXXX.vmd' file for each view, like its creating one to match what it finds in the gen_ml.ini file. And from there it seems to work fine, just with those extra .vmd files that never get touched again.
Old 7th December 2013, 15:43   #143
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

@lostinsound: I don't have any etXXXX.vmd files. Only metXXXX.vmd on this PC.

The PC I am on now is a "install on top" installation. Has had dozens of releases - official and beta - all slapped on top of the old install.

I'll go look in my "virgin test build" machine to see if they are any on there.

You do realise these *.vmd files can be opened in notepad to look at?
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2013, 16:50   #144
lostinsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
@lostinsound: I don't have any etXXXX.vmd files. Only metXXXX.vmd on this PC.

The PC I am on now is a "install on top" installation. Has had dozens of releases - official and beta - all slapped on top of the old install.

I'll go look in my "virgin test build" machine to see if they are any on there.

You do realise these *.vmd files can be opened in notepad to look at?
I'm guessing when you install it over the top of a previous installation it doesn't touch the gen_ml.ini file so it's still pointing to the correct .vmd files with the 'm' at the front.

It looks like on a clean install when it generates the initial gen_ml.ini file the 'queryX_meta=' lines point to .vmd files without the 'm' at the front, even though the .vmd files that are initially put in the views folder do have the 'm' at the front. And so the new .vmd files get created the first time you click on a view so it can match the gen_ml.ini file. Just a guess, I'm not sure of the inner workings.

And yes I know they can be looked at in notepad but I'm not sure what that would help. Like I said there's no effect on the functionality I just thought it was strange.
Old 7th December 2013, 17:01   #145
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

On clean installs I am finding everything is still metXXXX.vmd. Just there are a lot less of them. (This old PC has 42 compared with less than ten on the clean installs)
Old 7th December 2013, 17:02   #146
DrO

it's an issue with how the buffers are being handled when generating the filename which i've now fixed internally though it's purely a cosmetic thing as loading of the view will use whatever file can be found for the filename (so that's why it's not actually causing any issues).
Old 7th December 2013, 17:04   #147
lostinsound

Quote:
On clean installs I am finding everything is still metXXXX.vmd. Just there are a lot less of them. (This old PC has 42 compared with less than ten on the clean installs)
Did you actually click on each view after the initial install? For me the new ones didn't appear until after I clicked on each view in the left pane of the ML.

And what does your gen_ml.ini file say as far as what .vmd files its pointing to?

I'm using Windows 7 by the way.
Old 7th December 2013, 17:08   #148
DrO

it doesn't matter now how / when things are created or what's being seen, the filename issue is fixed.
Old 7th December 2013, 17:14   #149
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
it doesn't matter now how / when things are created or what's being seen, the filename issue is fixed.
^^^^^^^^^ LOL - THIS is the key to me. Winamp works fine. Including when moving windows around. Can't see any troubles at my end.
Old 7th December 2013, 17:19   #150
lostinsound

Quote:
^^^^^^^^^ LOL - THIS is the key to me. Winamp works fine. Including when moving windows around. Can't see any troubles at my end.
Yeah I guess I'm a little OCD when it comes to unnecessary files lying around even if they take up almost no space. I should learn to let go.
Old 7th December 2013, 17:27   #151
DrO

well they're not unnecessary in this case, just not named in the same manner as before (as they store per-view specific settings). so you can go through when Winamp is not running, re-add the 'm' and do the same in gen_ml.ini to get them all back to being the same again.
Old 8th December 2013, 20:00   #152
mattdm11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdm11 View Post
I've noticed a slight skip in the first 5-15 seconds (it varies) of every 4th or 5th song I play. Have not had this problem until going to 5.66.

I am playing the song in a playlist, not in the local library.
So I am the only one that has had this problem? Just about EVERY song I play out of a playlist (not out of the library) skips. I have some MP3s on random and almost every song, within the first few seconds there is a very annoying skip. I have never had this with any other version of Winamp. I don't mess around with many settings, and any setting I changed wouldn't affect a song 5-10 seconds in, I wouldn't think.
mattdm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2013, 21:42   #153
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
So I am the only one that has had this problem? Just about EVERY song I play out of a playlist (not out of the library) skips. I have some MP3s on random and almost every song, within the first few seconds there is a very annoying skip. I have never had this with any other version of Winamp. I don't mess around with many settings, and any setting I changed wouldn't affect a song 5-10 seconds in, I wouldn't think.
It seems like you may be the only one. This could be some plugin messing with you. An Info Tool report will help us narrow down what is different about your config.
Old 10th December 2013, 05:55   #154
mattdm11

Quote:
It seems like you may be the only one. This could be some plugin messing with you. An Info Tool report will help us narrow down what is different about your config.
the only plugin I have is SA Stereo Tool (the free version) and I don't even have that on. I have had it for about a month, but until I upgraded to 5.66, I did not have this skip.

Is there a way to get an info tool report out of Winamp?
mattdm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 06:21   #155
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Is there a way to get an info tool report out of Winamp?
Use following link.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=328932

Old 10th December 2013, 21:32   #156
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by smujohnson View Post
1: Create a folder with 101 subfolders. Sample batch file below will create 101 subfolders in whatever directory it's executed from.

@ECHO OFF

FOR /L %%A IN (1, 1, 101) DO (
MKDIR %%A
)

2: Press INS in Winamp to get the "Open Folder" dialog.

3: Select one of the 101 subfolders, ie, 6.

4: Press INS again, notice that it shows only "6" being a subfolder, the other 100 are gone.

5: Want the problem to "go away"? Delete any 1 of the subfolders to get the count back to 100.
this is controlled by the OS as all we're doing is calling SHBrowseForFolder and most of the functionality is OS controlled. as long as it's re-selecting the correct folder then that's about all Winamp can adjust. And i assume the OS isn't showing them all by default for a speed optimisation as clicking on the parent folder arrow will then show all of the sub-folders.

as such, it's not liked behaviour but is not technically a bug and isn't something Winamp can (or should) try to circumvent imho.
Old 10th December 2013, 21:39   #157
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmerit View Post
Using the Winamp Classic skin. If I play an MP3/WAV/M4A file and use the mouse to drag the Seeking Bar to a new time point, when I release the mouse the display continues to show "Seek To: xx:xx" instead of reverting to the song title. Doesn't happen with WMA files. Doesn't happen when seeking with the keyboard. This behavior has been occurring with Winamp versions >= 5.65 (5.64 is fine).
this will be fixed as one of the fixes making it into the patched 5.666 build which is coming in a few days.
Old 10th December 2013, 22:04   #158
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dro Chilla View Post
I can't export/delete a playlist containing a colon (+ any forbidden symbols) in the name, when i click on export, window won't pop up.
will be fixed for the patch build which is coming. have now ensured that we're checking and removing any invalid characters for real files from the name before it is passed to the OS function we're using (it'll now replace those characters with underscore i.e. _ ).
Old 10th December 2013, 22:31   #159
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dro Chilla View Post
"on second time" I mean, I can remove first created playlist with symbol (like . or !), but second one won't disappear until restart.

In detail: create a playlist named "blablabla!" (playlist must contain some songs, an empty one removing correctly allways) then delete it, try to repeat the same way.
+ I use US localization
i've been trying to replicate this for the last few minutes and i'm not seeing it (from the 'steps' in this or the other posts. every playlist i create is being correctly removed even when duplicating up ones with bad names. unless someone can provide clearer steps to reproduce the issue (is it maybe in a specific view / action in the Winamp ui to remove things), i'm out of options to replicate and fix this.
Old 11th December 2013, 02:03   #160
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
i've been trying to replicate this for the last few minutes and i'm not seeing it (from the 'steps' in this or the other posts. every playlist i create is being correctly removed even when duplicating up ones with bad names. unless someone can provide clearer steps to reproduce the issue (is it maybe in a specific view / action in the Winamp ui to remove things), i'm out of options to replicate and fix this.
Try this:
Open a playlist in the playlist editor. Using the context menu command Send to: save it to the library giving it a new name that includes a ":". Save it again with another name including a ":".

Switch to the media library and extend the Playlists list on the left side. The 2 new lists created should be at the bottom of the list. Select the next to the last playlist (with the ":" in its name) and its contents should be shown on the right side. Use the context menu command on the name of this playlist and delete it.

Now select the next playlist with the ":" in its name (should be at the bottom of the list). Its contents should be shown on the right side. Use the context menu command on the name of this playlist and delete it. The list's contents should disappear on the right, but the name remains in the list on the left. Use the context menu command on the name and try to delete it again. The name should remain and the playlist at the top of the list is deleted. The more you do this, the more playlists get deleted (from the top down) and the name (with the ":") remains.

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports