Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Closed Thread
Old 5th January 2011, 01:16   #41
ryerman
Major Dude

May I please see a screen shot that shows an example of how your sound card reports the sample rate at which it is operating?
Old 5th January 2011, 16:23   #42
Michgelsen
Major Dude

Yes you may. See attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	samplerate.png
Views:	362
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	48267  
Old 10th January 2011, 16:34   #43
mizaru

truncated mp4 files crash winamp, sample file attached
Attached Files
File Type: zip 02.zip (46.8 KB, 286 views)
Old 21st January 2011, 01:43   #44
oldgit929

Visualization desktop mode - no icons

As the title says, I have no icons on screen when utilizing desktop mode, taskbar appears OK.
I know my 8400GS struggles a bit speedwise, could it be that?
Runs OK on my other PC (WinXP Pro)

Winamp 5.601 (x86) - clean install - Bento

Wndows7 Pro
Intel E5200 Wolfdale rev M0 @ 2.5GHz
ASUS P5E-VM HDMI m/board - Intel G35 chipset - ICH9R Southbridge
Crucial PC2-6400 3GB (2+1) stock speed
Nvidia Geforce 8400GS - DirectX 11
Sata 500GB HDD (Maxtor)
IDE DVD/CD RW Combi (Optiarc)
Old 21st January 2011, 15:18   #45
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgit929 View Post
As the title says, I have no icons on screen when utilizing desktop mode, taskbar appears OK.
I know my 8400GS struggles a bit speedwise, could it be that?
Runs OK on my other PC (WinXP Pro)

Winamp 5.601 (x86) - clean install - Bento

Wndows7 Pro
Intel E5200 Wolfdale rev M0 @ 2.5GHz
ASUS P5E-VM HDMI m/board - Intel G35 chipset - ICH9R Southbridge
Crucial PC2-6400 3GB (2+1) stock speed
Nvidia Geforce 8400GS - DirectX 11
Sata 500GB HDD (Maxtor)
IDE DVD/CD RW Combi (Optiarc)
i have an 8400M GS (laptop) and i don't think it supports directx 11, does it? in any case, winamp works fine for me.

to be honest, i don't know what you're talking about. icons? desktop mode? do you mean the player controls don't appear over the winamp icon in the taskbar? is your win7 properly registered? if so, sometimes explorer (the windows shell) borks that, but a reboot usually fixes it, or sometimes explorer fixes itself.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
Old 21st January 2011, 18:03   #46
DrO

Milkdrop has a desktop mode but pretty much on Vista / Win7 it doesn't work as the dll which needs to hook Explorer and re-draw the icons doesn't work on 64-bit versions of those OSes or doesn't have the permission to hook into Explorer and so fails.

-daz
Old 22nd January 2011, 20:29   #47
oldgit929

DrO,
Thankyou for a very helpful reply, I'm only sorry I forgot to mention the problem was when using the 'Milkdrop' visualization as a desktop background, well spotted.
It is not a major problem, but at least now I understand why it doesn't work as intended.
Again, thank you for your time.
Old 23rd January 2011, 19:44   #48
SilverBird775

Problem: in_dshow.dll
DSP plugins: Not installed.
General purpose plugins: Not installed.
Visualization plugins: Not installed.
I do not use unofficial plugins for a test configuration.

"Allow surround sound" is checked. My real channel configuration is Stereo. Anything else is irrelevant i believe.

Whatever i do DirectShow plugin keeps passing wrong parameters to output plugin in
int (__cdecl *Open)(int samplerate, int numchannels, int bitspersamp, int bufferlenms, int prebufferms);

The in_dshow.dll plugin always passing the numchannels = 2 to output plugin. The straightforward numchannels = 6 hack seems "fixing" the stream. The RAW data itself with later WRITE calls is correct but OPEN parameters seems to be bogus.

This bug is easy to reproduce for example by opening the VOB files. I failed to find the explanation for this bug on forum and hope some good soul would come with explanation or better, fix.
Old 23rd January 2011, 21:40   #49
MrSinatra
Forum King

are you sure the vob files aren't encrypted as happens with dvds sometimes?

--
Old 23rd January 2011, 23:25   #50
SilverBird775

See no relevance.

But i have a strange discovery with AC3Filter codec. I forced the format to 5.1 in this DirectShow codec (instead of no change) and in_dshow passed to output plugin the correct "6" channels instead of "2". Just checked AVI demuxer it seems to fail the "no change" setting the same way. I'm lost because it really writes correct data either way but passing the incorrect channel number when "no change" is set. Will investigate it more, it can be a codec problem.
Old 24th January 2011, 14:37   #51
clegtw

Pro 5.601 omits Rip & Burn functions

Rip and Burn tabs are not available in WinAmp Pro ver 5.601 The Preferences "Pro" Tab shows that Winamp Pro is registered and Pro Features are enabled. I followed your suggested procedure to remove Winamp, delete direcory, re-install WinAmp and reset my Registration Name and Key with no fix. Tested on AMD 64bit, GigaByte MB running Windows 7 Pro and on a Dell Inspiron 1505 Notebook running Windows 7 Home Premium. I have been using WinAmp for more than 15 years.
Old 27th January 2011, 18:45   #52
FDD

Milkdrop problem.

I just have an idea about the milkdrop 2.3 problem (not reacting to the music) which some people posted already.
(Maybe its fixed already. I dont know.)
Cause it does work with the english language pack and not with german. Maybe the problem can be about the localization which is set in the programminglanguage for the i/o functions.

In C its normaly:
code:
setlocale(LC_NUMERIC, "C");

If this got set to german, the interpretation of "," and "." is switched in reading numbers. Then strange behaviour can appear when reading the presetfiles.

Hope this can help someone.
Greetings
Old 27th January 2011, 19:03   #53
DrO

the milkdrop plug-in is meant to be reverting to the C locale as required (only when reading in values where the decimal point can change) when reading in the presets and was checked a number of times as part of working on v2.22 and v2.23 since before it presets didn't work at all.

-daz
Old 18th February 2011, 18:45   #54
TioP

Gracenote prompt locks msvcr90.dll - locks-out other apps

Winamp 5.601
Windows XP SP3

I insert a CD that that is not on CDDB (my compilation) to play with Winamp.
I do Winamp | Play | Audio CD E:

Either without my intervention or after loading the CD with track ids "Track 01", etc. when right-clicking | File Info, I get the Gracenote prompt telling me that the CD is not found on the database. All looks cool, but after a couple of seconds, if I don't cancel the prompt, any Notepad that was working pops up an error message (see below). The computer comes almost to a complete halt. Everything is sluggish, deadly sluggish.

My analysis indicates that the Gracenote prompt locks msvcr90.dll in exclusive mode (or something similar to that): as soon as the "Submit New" prompt appears, whether the "Submit New" button is clicked or not, any other application that uses msvcr90.dll becomes locked-out, and a message "This application has failed to start because MSVCR90.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem" appears. Try to start, for example, Notepad, while the prompt is displayed or while the "Submit New" dialog is displayed. Cancelling the "Submit New" prompt or the dialog restore things to normal.

This is a bug.

To reproduce, just try to play a CD that is not on CDDB, wait for the Gracenote prompt to appear, and try to start Notepad (or any app that uses msvcr90.dll) or watch what happens to any app that was already running.

Hope it gets fixed soon. Basically, while entering data for submission to CDDB the only thing that can possibly run on the PC is the CDDB data entry dialog.

Regards,
TioP
Old 18th February 2011, 19:03   #55
TioP

MusicID tab doesn't get filled-in with data from CD-Text

Windows XP SP3
Winamp 5.601
Standard install, no added plug-ins.
Using Classic skin (problem is not skin-related)

I insert an audio CD that is not on CDDB, but has CD-Text alright on it, describing titles and composers.

If I decide to upload the CD info to CDDB, there is no way to propagate the CD information, clearly known and displayed correctly by Winamp, to the MusicID tab/tracks to facilitate uploading of the information without re-typing.

This is a bug. There is no possible justification for this omission. If this is "by design" (one of the typical explanation of otherwise un-explainable bugs), then we witness a bug in the design. By not propagating this info to the CDDB data entry form, Winamp misses an outstanding opportunity to enrich CDDB with good data coming directly from the CD-Text, which takes some work to prepare.

With Winamp presenting this bug (but thanks-God at least displays CD-Text), and iTunes that doesn't even read CD-Text, uploading info to CDDB becomes an unnecessary pain-in-the-....

Hope to see a solution to this bug some time soon. A tool that helps to upload information to CDDB that works is sorely needed in Windows, and Winamp is right now in the best position to provide this (most other popular apps don't even support CD-Text).

(this solution needs to come coupled with the resolution of another bug that I reported, whereby the Gracenote prompt and dialog locks msvcr90.dll wreaking-havoc in the PC).

Best regards,
TioP
Old 18th February 2011, 19:57   #56
retroman

Winamp Blocks M4a File Indexing on Vista

Winamp Pro 5.601
Winamp plug-in details attached
Language Pack: None (default English US)
Skin: All testing done with Big Bento
Locale: English US
CPU: Intel Core 2 CPU @ 1.8 GHz
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: ATI Radeon X1300
Sound: Sigma Tel High-Definition Audio 6.10.0.5514
DirectX 11
Plugin in: not sure which one(s) handle M4a conversion

On Vista and Windows 7, Microsoft added a new file attribute (N) that blocks a file from being indexed by Windows Search 4. When Winamp 5.601 Pro converts music files into M4a via its format converter feature or via a rip from an audio CD, the output files are assigned attribute N. This is not good. I believe that this issue precedes version 5.6.

By contrast, when I use Winamp to convert a file to Mp3 or AAC, N is not assigned. Furthermore, when I create M4a files from other applications, they are not marked N. As far as I can tell, this problem is unique to Winamp and to conversions to M4a format.

The indexing failure is not caused by my settings in the Windows Indexing Options dialogs. My entire Music folder and sub folders are marked for indexing. Unfortunately, the N attribute was designed by Microsoft as a file-level block that overrides my folder settings.

After removing the N attribute, my M4a files are indexed normally. However, removing the attribute can be stickier than you might think (details on request). Please modify Winamp to set the attribute for M4a files as "A" only, which is the default for most user files created by Windows applications. Users should not have to jump through hoops to be able to use Windows Search to find their M4a files.

To Reproduce:
  1. In Windows Explorer, select a FLAC file (for example) and verify that it is not marked with attribute "N".
  2. Open Winamp and select that file in the playlist pane.
  3. Choose Send To > Format Converter, and pick "MP4 / LC-AAC Encoder v 1.31" and convert the file.
  4. Use Windows Explorer to verify that the file attribute "AN" is now assigned. This can also be seen in the file's Properties dialog by clicking its Advanced button. The option "index this file for faster searching" will show as disabled.
  5. Repeat the test but convert to Mp3 or AAC instead of M4a. Only the attribute A will be set.
Attached Files
File Type: txt my_plugin_list.txt (9.4 KB, 322 views)

Doug M. in NJ
Old 2nd March 2011, 00:21   #57
avvweb

Jump to windows appearing in an unplugged monitor

Hi, this is not a crash so, maybe is not the right place to put it but, anyway:

I connect two different monitors to my laptop (one at home and one at work) but I extend my desktop to the left at home and to the right at work.

So, when I'm at work I cannot see the Jump To File window because it is displayed on the monitor to the left (which is unplugged when I'm at work).

I know it is a little stupid but is anoying to not be able to jump to songs with the global keys when I'm at work.

Hope you can fix this!!

Thanks

[edit - DrO]
uncheck the option in the JTF preferences to remember the JTF window's position.
Old 2nd March 2011, 11:03   #58
j_villi

Output device probs using multiple instances

Dear dev.team of this great software.
My problem is about the instable output device configuration when using multiple instances of winamp in parallel.
During PowerOff/On randomly the cofigured device is lost...
It is described detailed in the attached file.

Thanks for any feedback in this.
Juergen
Old 2nd March 2011, 11:12   #59
j_villi

Output device probs using multiple instances_2

ooops, some difficulties in upload files, sorry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	winamp_VIA_Out.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	48591   Click image for larger version

Name:	winamp_ATI_Out.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	48593   Click image for larger version

Name:	winamp_USB1_Out.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	48594   Click image for larger version

Name:	winamp_outdevices.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	48595  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winamps report.pdf (11.6 KB, 264 views)
Old 2nd March 2011, 11:17   #60
j_villi

Output device probs using multiple instances 3

some more pics...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	winamp_USB2_Out.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	48596   Click image for larger version

Name:	winamps_own_devices.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	48597   Click image for larger version

Name:	winamp_directories.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	48598  
Old 2nd March 2011, 20:34   #61
mishagale

Format Converter: Error when attempting to convert mono MP3 to Stereo AAC

Hello,
I've been experiencing an odd bug when using the format converter to convert large numbers of files (my whole library) to AAC, and I think I've now tracked down the cause.

Steps to reproduce: (tested in Winamp v5.6.01)
1. Select a *mono* audio file (tested with MP3s, may apply to other formats)
2. Right click, "Send to":, "Format Converter"
3. Set encoding format to any AAC, e.g. aacPlus, MP4/LC-AAC (tested with v1.31)
4. Set channel mode to stereo
5. Click OK
Results in a pop-up error, titled "Transcoding fail...", error text "Cannot open encoder." If at step 4 you set channel mode to mono, it encodes normally.

I performed a clean install by installing to an alternate folder, but without uninstalling my normal winamp installation. Hope this suffices, if not let me know and I'll try to reproduce it with a really clean install. Install options were "Full" minus the Winamp Agent and with no file associations, shell extensions or online services selected.

My computer specs:
Windows 7 Pro x64, no service pack installed but otherwise up-to-date
Locale: UK
AMD Athlon X2 6000+ (3ghz dual-core)
Asus M2N32-SLI motherboard
6GB RAM
NVidia GeForce 9800 GT
Analogue Deviced SoundMax Integrated Digital HD (on-motherboard sound chip)

I've run into this while trying to transcode a large number of files, most files work fine, but I seem to hit errors with mono files. I can't find any way in the media library to search for mono/stereo files so I can encode them separately, if anyone knows of such a way it would be a big help.
Old 7th March 2011, 18:56   #62
ftiger2

Replay Gain plays some files with almost no volume

Winamp 5.601 (5.6.0.3091) - clean install (with NO 3rd-party plugins) - DID IT (on another PC also)

Winamp Language Pack (if not using default English US) - Spanish Latam.

Skin: ALL

Windows XP Professional SP3 Spanish

System specs: MSI K9AGM3-FIH, AMD Athlon X2 6000+ (3Ghz), 2GB DDR2 Kingston

Video Card: Onboard ATI Radeon Xpress 1250 Driver v. 8.593.100 (as Device Manager says)

Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio ALC888 Driver v. 5.10.0.5605

DirectX version 9.0c

Plugin (and version) affected by/causing the bug: REPLAY GAIN PLUGIN included in winamp 5.601

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
I've analysed almost ALL my MP3's with Winamp's Replay Gain Analyzer. Since version 5.601 some MP3's now are played with almost no volume at all when "Use replay gain option" is activated. If I disable that option, the volume is right with every MP3.
I clean-installed winamp on another computer, copied one of the files which troubled, and enabled Replay Gain, obtaining the same results: so I assume the bug it's hardware independant.
I also tried re-calculating replay gain with actual winamp. No luck.

Here's a link to one of those files (Classical Beethoven).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17219650/Bee...ugin_error.rar

Please help!

Last edited by ftiger2; 7th March 2011 at 18:57. Reason: forgot the title
Old 21st March 2011, 17:50   #63
ftiger2

Solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftiger2 View Post
Winamp 5.601 (5.6.0.3091) - clean install (with NO 3rd-party plugins) - DID IT (on another PC also)

Winamp Language Pack (if not using default English US) - Spanish Latam.

Skin: ALL

Windows XP Professional SP3 Spanish

System specs: MSI K9AGM3-FIH, AMD Athlon X2 6000+ (3Ghz), 2GB DDR2 Kingston

Video Card: Onboard ATI Radeon Xpress 1250 Driver v. 8.593.100 (as Device Manager says)

Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio ALC888 Driver v. 5.10.0.5605

DirectX version 9.0c

Plugin (and version) affected by/causing the bug: REPLAY GAIN PLUGIN included in winamp 5.601

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
I've analysed almost ALL my MP3's with Winamp's Replay Gain Analyzer. Since version 5.601 some MP3's now are played with almost no volume at all when "Use replay gain option" is activated. If I disable that option, the volume is right with every MP3.
I clean-installed winamp on another computer, copied one of the files which troubled, and enabled Replay Gain, obtaining the same results: so I assume the bug it's hardware independant.
I also tried re-calculating replay gain with actual winamp. No luck.

Here's a link to one of those files (Classical Beethoven).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17219650/Bee...ugin_error.rar

Please help!

I think I solved it! I was using "Apply gain/avoid cut" option. Changed it to "apply gain", and at least the MP3 i uploaded as example now sounds right. I'll try this way for some time and let you know the result.

Last edited by ftiger2; 21st March 2011 at 17:52. Reason: misspelling (that word exists?)
Old 22nd March 2011, 09:39   #64
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@ftiger2

Oops, not sure how I missed your first post.... just seen it now.
Yeah, it's setting Track Peak at 20.x, which is obviously wrong (average track peak is usually somewhere around 1.0).
Please keep the link for the sample file active and I'll see if the problem can be looked into and fixed.

Note that "prevent clipping" uses the Album/Track Peak value (whereas RG just uses the Gain values).

Thanks.
Old 22nd March 2011, 15:23   #65
retroman

File Attribute Bug Persists in 5.61 Pro

The following problem that I reported earlier for 5.601 remains unchanged in 5.61 Pro (x86):

Winamp Blocks M4a File Indexing on Vista

My Winamp setup and PC details are unchanged since that report.

Doug M. in NJ
Old 22nd March 2011, 19:13   #66
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
@ftiger2

Oops, not sure how I missed your first post.... just seen it now.
Yeah, it's setting Track Peak at 20.x, which is obviously wrong (average track peak is usually somewhere around 1.0).
Please keep the link for the sample file active and I'll see if the problem can be looked into and fixed.

Note that "prevent clipping" uses the Album/Track Peak value (whereas RG just uses the Gain values).

Thanks.
egg, isn't it possible his file has a bad momentary spike in it at some point?

[Edit --> DJ Egg]

Yes, for sure :-)

--
Old 12th April 2011, 23:44   #67
gersto

Since i haven't seen this submitted here yet:

Winamp 5.61 (5.6.1.3133) - clean install (with NO 3rd-party plugins)
No Winamp Language Pack
Skin: Bento
Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit SP1 - US
Acer Extensa 4420 - AMD Athlon X2 64 1.6ghz, 4GB DDR-5300 RAM
ATI x1250 Card - ATI Catalyst v8.582.0.0
Realtek HD Audio - v6.0.1.6167
DirectX 11
Nullsoft Android Device Plug-in v1.4 [pmp_android.dll]
Android Device HTC Droid Eris running CyanogenMOD 7 (aka Android 2.3)

When syncing any MP3 to an Android Device, via USB, either individually,

or via playlist. The album art is removed from the MP3 file and replaced

with 0kb dummy info. All MP3s used have ONLY ID3 v2.3 tags.

Note: This issue did NOT exist with Winamp 5.58 or older.

No Error Logs Generated
attached RAR file containing sample MP3s and screencaps from MP3tag:
http://****************114232827/ee3...error.rar.html
Old 15th April 2011, 23:18   #68
johnpost

podcast cancelling

Winamp 5.61 upgrade over
Winamp Classic skin
win 7 home premium sp 1
pentium dual core e2220, 3G ram

when my podcast list has updated and i have a pending que to download with 2 being actively downloaded at a time; then for each podcast i cancel (r click) a new podcast starts actively downloading. i could get dozens becoming active. reproduced many times.
Old 18th April 2011, 02:22   #69
GreenGiant2

Gracenote prompt locks msvcr90.dll - locks-out other apps

Winamp 5.61 Pro
Windows XP SP3

Similar problem, except I'm getting it when I'm accessing Gracenote for a custom mix CD I want to rip. I get the dialog box about "do you want to submit", and if there is a program open that uses the MSCVR90.dll (such as Notepad), it pops a dialog box with "This application has failed to start because MSVCR90.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem", with Winamp in the window title. Re-inserting the CD does not trigger the Grace note access.
Old 19th April 2011, 06:45   #70
DARKA

"Total time played" in DirectSound plugin

out_ds.dll 2.6(d)

i use winamp a lot of years, every day and after some time my total statistic is damaged.

It display:
Total time played: -247873w -2d -1:53:52.-628

maybe it's after upgrade to 5.61? or maybe a big number overflow?
Old 19th April 2011, 15:32   #71
MrSinatra
Forum King

Darka, can you post a screenshot?

--
Old 19th April 2011, 15:53   #72
DrO

the value of cfg_total_time from the [out_ds] section of winamp.ini would probably be more useful though i'd probably assume it's an overflow.

-daz
Old 20th April 2011, 06:03   #73
DARKA

cfg_total_time=9A08BA7CA777FFFFF4

Let me know if it's bug or overflow and if my Total play time can be saved .. (PM is enough)
Old 30th May 2011, 21:48   #74
euggal

MSVCR90.dll failure in Chrome when selected from AutoPlay menu

I originally submitted this issue of the MSVCR90.dll to the Chrome support page because I never experienced this problem with any other program or browser on my computer. Here is the link to the issue: Issue 51383: WinAmp causes MSVCR90.dll failure in Chrome when selected from AutoPlay menu
Old 1st June 2011, 13:09   #75
WillScarlett

distorted m4a/aac playback (Nullsoft MP4 Demuxer)

Hello,
I am experiencing problems with the "Nullsoft mp4 Demuxer Plugin".
I had some music videos in mp4 format, containing AAC-LC-Audio (44100Hz, 128kbps). When I extracted the AAC-audio to raw AAC (Using yamb/mp4box or XMedia Recode), there was no problem playing the files in Winamp. But with raw AAC, tagging the files is of course impossible, and as I need Replaygain etc. I have no use for raw files.

Now here comes the bug:

When, instead of using raw AAC, I put the AAC-Stream into an m4a-Container, the audio is heavily distorted when playing in Winamp. Other audio players play them just fine!
So the very same stream plays fine outside the container, but not inside the container. That's why I think it must be a Nullsoft mp4-demuxer bug.

Greetings
WillScarlett
Old 1st June 2011, 14:35   #76
retroman

The MediaInfo utility might help....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillScarlett View Post
So the very same stream plays fine outside the container, but not inside the container. That's why I think it must be a Nullsoft mp4-demuxer bug.
Hello Will,

I too use Mp4Box to convert LC-AAC files to M4a, and the files play fine in all players, including Winamp 5.61. So I'm skeptical that Winamp has a problem with M4a files generally. Also, there would surely have been a flood of complaints here, given the popularity of the M4a format.

My guess is that some setting in Winamp is amiss or that your conversion switches for Mp4Box are not quite right at some stage, either when extracting the AAC track from MP4 or when converting AAC to M4a.

I use Mp4Box via BatchEnc, with a two-stage procedure:

Mp4box -raw 2 <infile> -out <outfile.aac>
Mp4box -add <infile>#audio <outfile.m4a>

I have successfully converted several hundred files from Mp4>AAC>M4a this way. You might want to use the MediaInfo utility (from SourceForge.net) to verify that your output files have the correct properties. For comparison, I have attached a text file of a MediaInfo report on an M4a file that I converted as above.

I have heard severe audio distortion while playing certain Mp4 videos with H264 content in Winamp, but that problem did not occur after the audio track was extracted to AAC or M4a, so I think that is a separate issue.
Attached Files
File Type: txt MediaInfo-M4a.txt (1.6 KB, 266 views)

Doug M. in NJ
Old 1st June 2011, 15:58   #77
WillScarlett

Hello retroman,

thank you for the fast reply!

First, I think I have to apologize for not being more specific and would like to clarify: Of course my Winamp does not have a "general" problem with m4a/aac files. I have a lot of them and most play fine. Just those converted from music videos were problematic.
Yes, "were"!
Following your instructions I get perfectly fine playing m4a-files! So indeed it was a Problem with the files produced using XMedia Recode to do the mp4-->m4a conversion "on-the-fly" rather than in two steps (like your mp4box batch does).

Using MediaInfo I think I found the Problem: XMediaRecode gave the files a "constant bitrate" flag while the aac-streams have a "variable" Bitrate. It also used lavf (ffmpeg file parser) to create the file and gave it a strange format profile (Base Media) and codec id (isom).
I will not use that program anymore, it was just so convenient that it offered the "on the fly"-options without having to write a batch or do two steps in yamb-mp4box-gui ;-)

Still it might be noteworthy that only Winamp had a Problem with those "incorrect" File specs, but you are right, that is not really a bug.

Thanks again for the help!

WillScarlett
Old 1st June 2011, 22:29   #78
retroman

You are quite welcome, Will and thanks for the feedback. I recall having to try a number of setups with Mp4Box before getting it sorted out. I don't recall the details but for some reason doing it in two stages was what worked best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillScarlett View Post
Still it might be noteworthy that only Winamp had a Problem with those "incorrect" File specs....
I agree. The H264 audio problem that I mentioned also happens only with Winamp. Winamp played Mp4 files fine until youTube made some minor changes to its encoding last summer. After that, the audio of new H264 posts sounded horrible in Winamp but fine in VLC and in the Flash player. It does appear that something is not quite right with Winamp and Mp4/H264 audio. I can provide details if anybody is interested.

Doug M. in NJ
Old 2nd June 2011, 04:05   #79
Akdor 1154

Winamp doesn't like adding files with paths that are too long for Windows' filesystems (i.e. on an ext4 filesystem accessed via samba). Though I guess behaviour here is undefined, it would be nice if we got an error message to that effect. At the moment Winamp's behaviour is a little weird - when adding a group of tracks to the ML, some track entries in the ML get overwritten with references to others, and there is no mention of any problems.

It seems strange to me, man, strange to me, don't it seem strange to you?
That a country founded on immigration is so damn racist too;
- John Butler Trio - Home Is Where the Heart Is
Old 2nd June 2011, 04:19   #80
MrSinatra
Forum King

i dealt with this nasty limitation, its filename+filepath can't exceed 256 characters or something like that. not sure winamp even can know or notify as to the issue. however, i think i sorted by filepath in the ML, or used mp3tag, to find all the problem children, (and made sure there was agreement as to filecount between winamp and mp3tag).

--
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Tags
index, m4a