Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist

View Poll Results: Would you like to see improved album art views for compilations?
Yes! - Extra logic to display them better would be great. 1 33.33%
Nope - I'm happy with the way it does it now. 1 33.33%
Huh? - Never noticed that there was an issue with this. 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15th July 2008, 21:44   #1
JLX

Album Art for Compilations (Various Artists)

The album art view in 5.54 is great! But...

It doesn't handle compilation albums with various artists very well. It seems if the album name AND artist match, it is considered a unique album. But, with compilations, the artist doesn't match of course. So, winamp assumes that instead of one album, you have say 15! (one for each seperate artist).

I understand why it does this as albums named things like "Greatest Hits" need to differentiate by artist rather than just by album name. However, it makes viewing your album art collection irritating as you get many "repeat" albums" that show for all your compilations. (See attached image)

I have a few suggestions for fixing this:

1. Add directory location (in addition to album name and artist) to the album detection logic. eg: If there are many songs in the same directory that have a common album name but different artist assume (perhaps ask for confirmation first?) that it is a compilation album.

2. Add an idv2 tag something like waCompilation and (optionally) mark songs that are a part of compilation albums. Then use this tag to improve album views.

3. Once compilation albums have be indentified, add a virtual artist called "Various Artists" which will then show all the compilation albums.

If this suggestion has be make before, I apologise for the repeat. But, I couldn't find anything like this in my admittedly cursory search.

Hope you consider these suggestions for a future release.

Thanks, -Jon.
JLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 21:50   #2
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Winamp uses the Alubm Artist and the Album name, if the album artist field is empty THEN is sues artist. Select all the tracks in the media Library, right click and select "Edit Selected Items..."

Set the Album Artist filed to something like "Various Artists"

Setting album art for compilations so it all shows as one album
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=278788
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=278772

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 21:55   #3
JLX

Not sure where the image went in my first post. You can view it here if you'd like.
Old 15th July 2008, 21:57   #4
JLX

Thanks for the reply Sawg. That's a decent workaround, but it would still be nice to have the artist tags use properly and also have Winamp handle compilations without this workaround.
Old 15th July 2008, 22:53   #5
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
It's not a workaround, it's how Winamp is designed to work. Artist tags are used properly as the denote the artist of the TRACK.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 22:59   #6
JLX

I stand corrected.

I mistook "Album Artist" for "Artist" and thought the solutions were suggesting that I rename the Artist to "Various". However, I now see that "Album Artist" is a seperate tag (interestingly referred to as BAND instead of ALBUM ARTIST inside MP3TAG).

I'm also pleased to see that if this field is left blank, Winamp uses the ARTIST field in it's absence which makes the whole thing work.

Everything is now being displayed as I'd like. Thanks for the info. Cheers, -Jon.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist