Old 19th January 2013, 03:03   #1
NemesisD

Yet Another Advanced Title Formatting thread

I just reformatted my machine and rebuilt my playlists and I am encountering a strange title formatting problem.

I use a bunch of input plugins to play back video game music, and one of them (called Highly Experimental) has been causing no end of grief with ATF. It supposedly supports ATF, but when I enable ATF, no matter what I seem to put in there, all it will do is return the filename of any PSF files I try to play. If I disable ATF and rely on the plugin's internal title formatting, everything is fine, but then my FLAC files only display the filename, and the FLAC plugin has no native title formatting support.

It's starting to irritate me, but nothing I do seems to have any effect, other than ATF enabled means FLACs are fine and ATF disabled means PSFs are fine, but I can't seem to get both working properly. I had them playing nice before my reformat, but I don't know how.

Any advice would be appreciated.
NemesisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 03:17   #2
DrO

assuming it's the version from http://www.neillcorlett.com/he/ then it doesn't support Winamp's ATF functionality (looking at the plug-in dll shows no signs of supporting the exports needed).

if you're using something newer than that then i'm not sure but based on the last one i'm aware off, i doubt what you're using supports it either (maybe as it's own formatted string but not the ATF Winamp has supported for well over a decade now).

as such you're pretty much going to have to use the ATF functions to check for a value (like the default ATF string does) and adapt it to work well with the formats that have true ATF support and fudge something for the *psf files.

alas without the plug-in itself being updated, there's little which can be done to get true-ATF support in it (which is a recurring theme from when i was into VGM in that no one wanted to update the plug-ins to support ATF but then bitched that things didn't work nicely with the newer Winamp's at the time *shrugs*).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 03:27   #3
NemesisD

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah, that is the plugin in question. I'm using the latest, HE 2.09. Winamp ATF support was supposedly added in HE 2.08, sometime in 2006 or so, according to the changelog on the page you linked. Strange that it would claim to support it if the .dll contains no support for ATF formatting.

Most PSF files contain both a 'track' and 'artist' field, so the default ATF string in Winamp config should pick this up, but clearly it doesn't work.

As a potential workaround, do you know if there is a way to tell the FLAC input plugin how to format its titles outside of winamp's ATF?
Old 19th January 2013, 03:32   #4
DrO

all i've done is look at the exported functions from the dll and there's no trace of what is needed for ATF handling, so i have to assume it's a in_psf specific handling or it's doing something weird (is a long time since i last used it). i know the xSF tag format wasn't too complex when i added the ATF support to 64th Note, and i had always toyed with the idea of trying to implement a generic xSF tag handling as an extra wrapper plug-in for the other xSF formats whose plug-ins hadn't or wouldn't be updated to support Winamp's ATF methods (though how Winamp does those sort of things made it tricky to get anything reliable working so i ditched the idea in the end).

in_flac as is shipped has no means to set titles out-side of the ATF handling. like i said above, you can use the ATF methods to do things specifically for a file type or extension so you should be able to achieve what's wanted (within reason) of one main ATF and then a handling fallback for the psf files. best to check the ATF docs for more details on what's available.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 03:35   #5
NemesisD

Alright. Thanks for your help.

I guess I'll try to bash my head of that syntax until I come up with something that works...
Old 19th January 2013, 05:46   #6
NemesisD

So I figured it out, and it was something that YOU said back in like 2006 on these very forums that tipped me off! So, thanks!

The post in question was something to do with use of the Media Library breaking file tagging in SNESAmp, and that removing the media library fixed it. That's when it occurred to me that using ML was the one difference in my install this time around (I was going to try to move away from playlist-based listening). I thought I'd try the fix and see if it worked, and lo and behold, it did. Removing ML makes the ATF system no longer break tags in PSF files. I don't know why, and just yet I don't care

So, thanks again
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
atf, flac, psf