Old 15th January 2013, 17:55   #1
evanexempt

Ripping Related: Artist/Album Subfolders Question?

I always try to check and see if my question has been answered in another thread before I post. I didn't see a thread for this specific question.

In the CD ripping preferences, you can set the destination location your ripped files, and you can set the file naming options. But there does not appear to be an option to set Winamp to create a subfolder (within the artist folder) based on the album name.

For instance, I can set it to send ripped files to
C:\user\evan\music\BandName

And of course I can even manually create a subfolder here, each time I burn a new disk: C:\user\evan\music\BandName\AlbumName

But it seems kind of cumbersome to have to manually generate a new directory sub-folder based on the name of the album. I was hoping there might be a way to set the software to automatically generate a sub-folder based on the AlbumName reflected in the meta-data.

The naming convention tool seems like it should allow for such. Like a coded subfolder command...

For instance:
<Artist> - <Album> - <Album - create subfolder>\## - <Trackartist> - <Title>

Just a thought.

Amazon MP3's downloader automatically files downloads into album-specific sub-folders within the ArtistName folder. And I hated it at first. But then it grew on me.

Any recommendations on how one might go about doing this with Winamp Pro?
evanexempt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 18:01   #2
evanexempt

Ok, I think I figured this out. So, as long and you nest your destination under the BandName folder, you can set the naming convention to:
<Album> - <## - <Trackartist> - <Title>

And it should do what I am trying to make it do.
Old 15th January 2013, 18:24   #3
evanexempt

I am just a retard.

Just to clarify:

If you *DO* want to do this (and you're a tard like me), here's how your stuff should look:

Destination:
C:\Users\YourName\Music\BandName

Naming Convention:
<Album>\## - <Title> - <Trackartist>

I doubt this is helpful to anyone, but yeah. I figured something out. Yay. (This is rare.)
Old 15th January 2013, 18:52   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hi

The destination folder should just be your root music folder, e.g.

C:\Users\{UserName}\Music
F:\Music
G:\Music\Albums
or whatever

The Naming Convention syntax is what's used to create the subfolders & filename, e.g.

<Artist>\<Album>\## - <Title>

This will create an AlbumArtistName subfolder, then an AlbumTitle subfolder, with the music files named as e.g. 01 - SongTitle.mp3 inside that subfolder.

Note the backslashes in the Naming Convention. The backslashes represent the subfolders...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 19:13   #5
evanexempt

Cool. I think I understand it all now. Nifty.
Old 15th January 2013, 19:46   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
i use EAC to rip. as with winamp, u mark a folder to rip to. it then uses this convention for "normal" CDs:

%albuminterpret%\%albumtitle%\%artist% - %tracknr2% - %title%

or this one for "VA CDs" which it detects automatically based on metadata:

%albuminterpret%\%albumtitle%\%albumtitle% - %tracknr2% - %artist% - %title%

its highly configurable.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 13:55   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
i use EAC to rip. as with winamp, u mark a folder to rip to. it then uses this convention for "normal" CDs:

%albuminterpret%\%albumtitle%\%artist% - %tracknr2% - %title%

or this one for "VA CDs" which it detects automatically based on metadata:

%albuminterpret%\%albumtitle%\%albumtitle% - %tracknr2% - %artist% - %title%

its highly configurable.
What are those tag labels in terms of ID3v2.3 tag terminology? For instance, is %albuminterpret% the same as TIT1 or is it something else? Does Winamp interpret these tag labels the same way as EAC? Does MP3Tag?

Link to ID3v2.3 tag descriptions below.

http://id3.org/id3v2.3.0

I use EAC to rip and name my files, but I've never trusted it to put the files in the correct destination folder (mainly because I don't use the common de facto storage structure).

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 14:03   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

no, those are just terms EAC came up with on its own, to map to things.

%albuminterpret% is TPE2 i think, while %artist% is track artist, or TPE1

on the page where u configure it, there is a "this means this" thing, but it doesn't actually state the frame. (keep in mind, not everything is id3) its pretty simple to figure out tho, a little trial and error gets it.

what i love about ripping with EAC, is that it handles comps properly, and the folder/filename construction will match the tags.

EDIT: i still rip to a staging area, but EAC does follow the above very well. u just need to realize that anything with even one artist mismatch will rip as comp, so you just need to consider how you want a given CD ripped and tagged. on occassion, i will rip a cd with "extra artists" listed in the song title, and then fix it in tags afterwards, so that it rips as a "normal" cd and not a comp. depends on how i consider the cd.

--
Old 16th January 2013, 14:38   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Ok, thanx for the info.

These various labels, tag standards, and interpretations can be a major headache.

That's why I decided to standardize my music collection on 2 formats (mp3 for lossy and wavepack for loss-less, both use the id3 tag standard). I also only use the tags that Winamp, EAC, and MP3Tag agree on, as to what they mean. Whatever info I'm interested in that will not go into these specific tags, I just add to the 'comment' tag.

This approach may not be 'proper' and has drawbacks, but its a lot easier for me to deal with.

Old 16th January 2013, 14:51   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

but that doesn't matter... whether you use only id3 or not, EAC still maps its terms and interprets. whether u mix formats and standards or not, same thing, just as mp3tag does.

album artist is still album artist, whether its id3 or vorbis. i can easily switch between ripping to mp3/id3 or FLAC/vorbis, and i don't have to change any of these EAC naming construction settings, which is why they do it like this in the first place. nothing is gained in this respect by keeping everything to one standard or another.

EDIT:

Quote:
on occassion, i will rip a cd with "extra artists" listed in the song title, and then fix it in tags afterwards, so that it rips as a "normal" cd and not a comp. depends on how i consider the cd.
to be clear, i fix the tags post-ripping such that the extra artists in the song title are cut from there and suffixed to the main artist in the track artist tag, this happens on cds with guests, like a "Duets" type CD, which has one main artist, and then feat guests. thats the kind of CD i don't want ripped in the comp fashion.

--
Old 16th January 2013, 15:24   #11
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
to be clear, i fix the tags post-ripping such that the extra artists in the song title are cut from there and suffixed to the main artist in the track artist tag, this happens on cds with guests, like a "Duets" type CD, which has one main artist, and then feat guests. thats the kind of CD i don't want ripped in the comp fashion.
I hear you. This is one of the kinds of headaches I'm referring to.

I really don't care about the album structure, just the performers and the song title (genre, year, and a few other things). So I don't use the albumartist tag or worry about proper handling of compilations and just use a simple 'artist/artists - title' approach when naming my files.

Old 17th January 2013, 07:32   #12
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
I hear you. This is one of the kinds of headaches I'm referring to.

I really don't care about the album structure, just the performers and the song title (genre, year, and a few other things). So I don't use the albumartist tag or worry about proper handling of compilations and just use a simple 'artist/artists - title' approach when naming my files.
well, again, in that case mapping / standards / format still don't matter. and you could just instruct EAC to NOT have a differing method to rip with when dealing with comps. i believe i opted into that, (b/c i wanted it).

so when you do have a comp, like a VA cd or a soundtrack or whatever, you just rip the song directly into the artists directory, and thats it?

--
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
album, artist, folders, ripping, sub-folders