Old 17th May 2014, 11:14   #161
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiggyChiggy View Post
I dont mean to derail the topic here but, by any chance is embedding album art in any way using the "edit metadata for selection" option in the context menu planned alongside native embedding artwork in the other single file tag editor?
I finally understand the question. I too would like to see artwork handling added to the <Shift+E> "Edit Item Metadata" editor for external and embedded images.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2014, 12:24   #162
DrO

its something I'm considering but is low on the list of things. as I'd prefer to get the ALT+3 handling sorted out first (which would then help with anything else done down the road). as I hadn't realised that drag & drop onto the artwork block just adds it to the playlist instead of being used (which is a hefty oversight imho).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2014, 19:44   #163
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
I'd prefer to get the ALT+3 handling sorted out first (which would then help with anything else done down the road).
jic this req fits in with that work:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=334897

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2014, 20:40   #164
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
Quote:
...because this feature needs to be done natively...
DrO, would you like a copy of my source code for this plugin?

Also:
Quote:
...drag & drop onto the artwork block just adds it to the playlist instead of being used...
Whu? Is that in the UFIP or is that something in the ml? I don't think I've seen that before.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2014, 11:00   #165
DrO

MrSinatra: you've really not been paying attention to some of the screenshots and posts i've made. that is all i'll say

thinktink: was referring to the 'artwork' tab on the alt+3 dialog, if you drag a file onto the artwork image (if there is one already or where it would be shown).
Old 18th May 2014, 17:26   #166
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
MrSinatra: you've really not been paying attention to some of the screenshots and posts i've made. that is all i'll say
sounds promising!

--
Old 18th May 2014, 17:54   #167
DrO

simple summary is there will be changes to how the ALT+3 dialog will work with the moving through files being natively done instead of as a jtfe hack, though the exact way it will be done as well as the api to allow 3rd party plug-ins to interact with it have still to be decided upon (as it should hopefully be able to work with an selection of files whether in the main playlist editor or in aocal library smart view - or so the eventual aim is).
Old 24th May 2014, 03:14   #168
DrO

for the embedding failure when there is no ID3v2.x tag to start with, i've now tracked down the sneaky little bug which was causing it (which appears to be specific to the APIC tag based on how new tags are otherwise handled - though i'd need fresh eyes to make sure that assumption is correct).

and due to that bug fix and a few other things i needed to fix / implement, i've got embedding into ID3v2.x tags now working natively - so that means i've got the fun of hooking up a UI to control that side of things on the artwork preferences page *joy* which will likely be just a control on embedding vs external file generation and how the external file would be generated. and unless there's something absolutely specific needed, i'm intending on just making it store things in the original source format received when saved to the tag and probably the file version as well (though i suppose i should add an option to force to a specific type if...?) - since most of the code tweaks i've made mean i'm getting / passing around the raw image data before it's been decoded i.e. png file blobs so we're not loosing image data unnecessarily.

so sadly (or not depending on your liking of plug-ins or not), i think this confirms the start of the beginning of the end of this plug-in.
Old 24th May 2014, 06:04   #169
thinktink
Forum King

You got a mock-up UI yet?
Old 24th May 2014, 08:27   #170
Satuim

Hey you like Alex S. too
Satuim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2014, 21:14   #171
DrO

thinktink: not yet as i'm still making some tweaks to how i think artwork looking up can work as well as the changes that need to be made to the alt+3 dialog in general (since some of the buttons on the artwork dialog are effectively duplicates so am looking to alter things in general).
Old 2nd June 2014, 20:02   #172
ChiggyChiggy

Quote:
thinktink: not yet as i'm still making some tweaks to how i think artwork looking up can work as well as the changes that need to be made to the alt+3 dialog in general (since some of the buttons on the artwork dialog are effectively duplicates so am looking to alter things in general).
Speaking of artwork lookup..... Since Winamp is working on getting new sources for its metadata lookups, why not make google images be the source for finding images (internally that is)? Ive seen it done in AIMP3 and another program called Album cover downloader or something like that. And google images is the mother of finding any picture... That and itd be free Unlike the last album art data provider... whoever that was..
ChiggyChiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 20:07   #173
MrSinatra
Forum King

or, why not employ differing methods? I think mp3tag allows you to use several different art DBs and so on. EAC has a good way too, which my guess is that it queries several different spots simultaneously. google lookups would be a good alt to have, but would not be my first choice since you'll get all kind of crazy results, not just album art.

--
Old 9th June 2014, 14:17   #174
DrO

unless a service has a defined api to query things and which is unlikely to break (which i suspect that the Google option would not fit), then it will most likely not be considered. and so far, the Musicbrainz and last.fm options have been looked at (and i'm still looking at other viable services so we don't have to pay (much or at all) and which gives decent results (which of the two i've mentioned, last.fm is the more reliable so far).

and the last provider was rovio if i remember correctly.
Old 9th June 2014, 14:31   #175
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
and so far, the Musicbrainz and last.fm options have been looked at (and i'm still looking at other viable services so we don't have to pay (much or at all) and which gives decent results (which of the two i've mentioned, last.fm is the more reliable so far).

Will a choice of artwork resolutions be offered? The former 200x200 is too small for my needs.

Old 9th June 2014, 14:44   #176
DrO

currently i've done it so it'll make available whatever sizes can be obtained from the providers via the UI elements. it's just a pain how there isn't consistency in what is provided against what's documented as meant to be being provided (mainly an issue at higher image qualities where from some of my testing so far).
Old 9th June 2014, 15:08   #177
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
..google lookups would be a good alt to have, but would not be my first choice since you'll get all kind of crazy results, not just album art.
Player Pro (Android) use Google, it gets pretty accurate results most of the time, but I think it is some sort of sponsored agreement (you can see the footer info "powered by google" in the bottom of my screenshot).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-06-09-11-00-13.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	51202

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 16:22   #178
ChiggyChiggy

Quote:
unless a service has a defined api to query things and which is unlikely to break (which i suspect that the Google option would not fit), then it will most likely not be considered. and so far, the Musicbrainz and last.fm options have been looked at (and i'm still looking at other viable services so we don't have to pay (much or at all) and which gives decent results (which of the two i've mentioned, last.fm is the more reliable so far).

I believe google does have an api for its image search, come to think of it, google has an api for everything >.>

Assuming you submit the right data when searching the results are pretty spot on accurate tbh

Heres how it is in AIMP3

I honestly doubt that AIMP3's devs have to pay google to use their service, considering AIMP3 is free and that it's not something theyd do. And i really doubt a company like google that possibly millions of companies use would feel like changing its api every so often to break thinsg that utilise their services.

When i look for album art; discogs, lastfm, and google images are the places that 99.9% of the time ill get what i need and itll be what i want. I really recommend you try it out for yourself, its a pretty great feature.

As for the tag sources, really like that lastfm was considered, great source for stuff from unsigned artists and unknown genres, but why not add in FreeDB? Its free, and it has a wealth of song metadata

Same goes for discogs, its quite the information pool (especially for electronic music). iirc correctly, according to Mp3Tag's documentation its rather easy to add modules to make Mp3Tag have sources to look from, perhaps this model could be used in Winamp? (a more refined one that is, Mp3Tag sucks at its online integration)
Old 9th June 2014, 17:33   #179
DrO

dude, we don't have the time or resources to add in everything and anything under the sun! we have to start with something as we've under extreme pressure to get something working out of the door - i could procrastinate and not release anything until everything which could be covered is and by then, there'd be no point in releasing an update!

at the moment. we're still trying to a) get things in place and b) decide what is viable to use and c) decide how much will be paid if we have to use any of the services to ensure better quality data (since Winamp is free but is still considered commercial despite not having a pro offering anymore).

and without looking into the Google option, i suspect the terms of it would not fit in well with what we're going to what to have (and based on some other issues, we may not be allowed to use them anyway). though i've added it to my list of additional sources to look into what the API, etc is like.

and why not freedb... because we're primarily going for Musicbrainz as a source of things for tag data as that's what has been decided on (and by basing things on Musicbrainz IDs in other aspects of the re-worked features, it gives us more option to swap and change between services as needed as time goes on).
Old 9th June 2014, 18:21   #180
ChiggyChiggy

Quote:
dude, we don't have the time or resources to add in everything and anything under the sun!
Apologies! D; Just throwing out ideas... maybe I went too far.
Old 9th June 2014, 20:12   #181
DrO

you didn't, i'm just trying to make it obvious that despite it being great to implement x, y & z, the very small team as we are can only do so much in the timescales which are being worked on. maybe other options can and will follow in the long run, but to start we, we've just got to get something working and at the moment, what i've implemented is generally doing well enough for what i'm able to test with (and is better than the nothing we've had for just over 2 years now).
Old 9th June 2014, 20:13   #182
MrSinatra
Forum King

I wish I knew more about how EAC and mp3tag do their lookups, where they have sources, and so on. all I know is what the user exp is like, moreso EAC than mp3tag.

I'm all for using MB to do tags, art, and so on, and I agree the focus should be on that alone at first. but I would suggest keeping it in mind to making it "open" so for the future, the ability is there to allow for other ways as well, and maybe even let 3rd parties dev them. (that way you can give the user choices and not falter if one service or another goes down)

mp3tag apparently allows you to query different sources for tags and art and that's built in. I don't know if it allows for 3rd party plugins or what not to allow for other sources to be queried. I'm thinking someone more versed than I could explain what exactly mp3tag does to avoid speculation.

EAC does allow for 3rd party plugins for tags. for art it seems to have its own built in system, which might be via google, or multiple sources, but I'm not sure. what it does do, which is great, is it allows you to search in three different sizes, or resolution ranges, and then it allows you to sort by size. that's a fantastic feature. I can get multiple 500x500 or 600x600 "hits" and choose the one I think looks the nicest. it has some quirks but the overall implementation is there.

I would def suggest the devs look at the exp both mp3tag and EAC provide, to see what they like.

--
Old 10th June 2014, 04:43   #183
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
currently i've done it so it'll make available whatever sizes can be obtained from the providers via the UI elements. it's just a pain how there isn't consistency in what is provided against what's documented as meant to be being provided (mainly an issue at higher image qualities where from some of my testing so far).
I now understand that Winamp needs to only offer what is reasonably expected to be available, since omissions will be blamed on Winamp and not the artwork provider. In addition, some of the sources I can use for free to get high quality artwork, Winamp would have to pay for (and probably too much).

Something would be better than nothing as to natively providing artwork. Hopefully the mean resolution will be higher than 200x200.

Old 30th September 2014, 02:37   #184
freshhh

I've tried BogProg Embedded Art v1.2.2.13 but it does not work properly with WinAmp v5.666. Could you please repost latest version? Thanks!
freshhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2014, 04:32   #185
Aminifu
Forum King

http://bogproghome.host-ed.me/downlo...beddedart.html

Old 30th September 2014, 09:29   #186
freshhh

WinAMP Plugin ThinkTink BogProg_Embedded_Art_v1.2.6.22

@Aminifu: thanks a lot this version (v1.2.6.22) is working fine with WinAmp Final v5.666. :-)

The only thing is I cannot drag & drop a cover art, I must copy/paste it.
Old 30th September 2014, 16:05   #187
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshhh View Post

The only thing is I cannot drag & drop a cover art, I must copy/paste it.
I think DrO is working/worked on that issue, however, when the new version of Winamp comes out you won't need to use my plugin at all.
Old 30th September 2014, 16:10   #188
DrO

it had been started on but i've not done anything further towards it for a while. but it's on my list of things that need to be sorted out at some point.
Old 1st October 2014, 00:59   #189
freshhh

Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 2nd November 2014, 04:57   #190
thinktink
Forum King

New Version

Version 1.2.7.25 is now available for download.
  • Internal bug fixes for 3rd party plugin compatibility issue (nope, not with cPro this time.)
  • Implemented Structured Exception Handling code block and buffered filename text string internally for call to orignal api_albumart::CopyAlbumArt that apparently is causing problems with certain input plugins. It doesn't solve all crashes but it does get some of them.

This is a recommended update. Please download here.

Yes, I understand this plugin will be obsoleted next year () with the next release of Winamp but you should still update, especially if you're experiencing any issues.
Old 2nd November 2014, 06:07   #191
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi thinktink,

I ran the update installer (even-though I've not had any issues with the previous version), but the version number (reported in the GP plug-ins screen) did not change. Did you forget to update the version info in the dll plug-in? The version number in the w5s plug-in did change, but that can only be seen with an Info Tool report. Technically correct, if nothing changed in the dll, but could be confusing for those who don't use the IT utility.

Old 2nd November 2014, 07:59   #192
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Hi thinktink,

I ran the update installer (even-though I've not had any issues with the previous version), but the version number (reported in the GP plug-ins screen) did not change. Did you forget to update the version info in the dll plug-in? The version number in the w5s plug-in did change, but that can only be seen with an Info Tool report. Technically correct, if nothing changed in the dll, but could be confusing for those who don't use the IT utility.
Nothing changed with the front-end/configuration plugin, just the w5s plugin, which is the library that does the work. You could completely delete gen_bpembededart.dll and it would still embed album art, you just couldn't easily make any configuration changes.
Old 2nd November 2014, 09:20   #193
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktink View Post
Nothing changed with the front-end/configuration plugin, ...
That's what I thought, but you missed my point. People, just looking at the info provided by Winamp, may think the update failed to install. That's what I thought at first, I even ran the installer again, then I checked with the Info Tool.

As you say, the 1st Radionomy release will make this great plug-in obsolete, so it is probably no big deal.

Old 2nd November 2014, 16:22   #194
thinktink
Forum King

No, I understood the point, I just didn't care about other peoples' bad assumptions. lol

And really, all it means is I just need to bodge up the configuration window with version numbers for both the w5s and the gen itself. Probably something I should start doing with all my plugins anyways.
Old 2nd November 2014, 17:16   #195
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktink View Post
No, I understood the point, I just didn't care about other peoples' bad assumptions. lol
Ok.

It's just that coders making it hard to determine the correct version of things, sometimes makes me want to follow the example of your avatar.

Have a great day!

Old 8th November 2014, 03:59   #196
ChiggyChiggy

Does this new version address the issue that i reported a couple of months back? o:

*If you have issues with Winamp, ensure you have the currently latest version Winamp v5.666 build 3516 & its patches that fix several issues
*To remove the currently dead Winamp online stuff, see here: removing online stuff
*If you miss the Autotag feature: Gracenote CDDB Autotag alternatives
Old 8th November 2014, 05:02   #197
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiggyChiggy View Post
Does this new version address the issue that i reported a couple of months back? o:
No, the issue you reported back about embeds not taking on the first try is a Winamp core problem I cannot fix.
Old 7th October 2016, 03:17   #198
thinktink
Forum King

Updated download link. Weird, I don't understand what happened to my site.

Download
Old 9th October 2016, 20:00   #199
PeterK.
Quinto Black CT Developer

Hello thinkthink,

thank you for the download link to your plug-in.

I would like to mention, that the installation routine lacks the manifest file. You can tell it by the looks of the "common buttons" which in your case seem not to correspond to the current .msstyles-file of the operating system. (I am talking about Windows here).

The proper look of the buttons should be like this:

I compared both files: yours and Dr.O's and found a manifest part, which in your case is not complete. This part is missing:

PHP Code:
<dependency>
<
dependentAssembly>
<
assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" version="6.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="X86" publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df" language="*" />
</
dependentAssembly>
</
dependency
May I ask you to add this to your program?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Buttons.PNG
Views:	240
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	52708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Buttons2.PNG
Views:	290
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	52709  
PeterK. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2016, 20:28   #200
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK. View Post
[FONT="Verdana"]...

The proper look of the buttons should be like this:

Ah, ok. It might be because I'm using the older version of NSIS for the installer. I'll try upgrading to see what it does.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Tags
album, art, artwork, embed, embeded