Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Wasabi Development

View Poll Results: How badly do you want to see a linux port of Winamp??
So badly that when i see it i will dry-hump the nearest non-family member 55 60.44%
A linux port would be cool 31 34.07%
I could care less 5 5.49%
Linux?????? 0 0%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th December 2003, 14:10   #41
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by dopey
ertmann by the sounds of it seems brennan and russ are under some splintering tactics not sure though.. i doubt they can open source it, aol can be cunts when it comes to this sort of stuff.. i only have to mention "waste", gpled, slashdotted, taken off and denied.
I wasn't suggesting that they GPL'd it, I know that's utterly impossible

and dammit, i can't get your dpm package to work, get's this error

'wasabi.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Segmentation fault'
Old 4th December 2003, 14:32   #42
zborgerd

Quote:
Originally posted by dopey

on a completely different note anyone have any experience with the ati closed source drivers ? im in 2 minds whether or not to order an ati card from what i hear the 2d acceleration seems to be shit with their driver, but im tired of nvidias chipset overpricing (was looking into either an fx5600 or a radeon 9600 anyone have any better suggestion for about 100 quid ? )

ertmann by the sounds of it seems brennan and russ are under some splintering tactics not sure though.. i doubt they can open source it, aol can be cunts when it comes to this sort of stuff.. i only have to mention "waste", gpled, slashdotted, taken off and denied.
I've heard that the most recent ATI Catalyst drivers are pretty good, actually. nVidia's the one that's had the terrible 2D problems on Linux (and crash bugs), which is strange... On Windows, nVidia is probably the best solution. On Linux, I'd almost say that ATI (though their 3D performance isn't as good as it could be.) Still, the ATI cards are quite stable, and driver updates seem to be getting more and more frequent. The last update was two months ago, which isn't too bad. ATI's drivers also use the standard DRI mechanism, unlike nVidia, which has some weird closed-source thing going on. It causes problems and seems to have buggy AGPGART compatibility.
Old 4th December 2003, 19:37   #43
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

weird, most everyone i heard from, says that nvidia has the best linux drivers, and ati's sucks....
Old 5th December 2003, 01:13   #44
zborgerd

Quote:
Originally posted by ertmann|CPH
weird, most everyone i heard from, says that nvidia has the best linux drivers, and ati's sucks....
Fastest, yes. Stability is another issue. Most recently, people were having some nasty hang-ups with Gnome 2. This wasn't happening with the open source nVidia drivers, but really was an issue with the closed drivers. The problems lasted for months, until it was finaly fixed. I'm a member of a certain Gnome message board, and whenever someone has lockup problems, we always suggest that people try the "nv" driver instead of the closed driver, and in nearly all cases, it fixes the problems.

And *stay away* from nForce on Linux. The Realtek lan drivers are terrible and cause brief system hangs while browsing the web. The audio drivers only support one sound stream at any given time.

People claimed that ATI's drivers "sucked" for a long time because they did "suck." Their binary drivers didn't suppoprt X 4.3 for several months, only worked with certain cards, initially only worked with "made by ATI" cards and not the 3rd party cards. The open drivers never have supported things like S3TC because of patents on the algorithm. The new binary drivers, however, are pretty good. Assuming that they are frequently maintained, then ATI should be a good choice on Linux.

I personally use a PowerVR Kyro II, and have been impressed with their binary drivers. Of course, it's showing its age now. Newer 3D games like UT2003 seem a bit slow on the card, but that's also due to a crappy D3D-->OGL wrapper in UT2003, resulting in a Linux port that is actually slower than the Windows version (which actually doesn't usually happen.)
Old 5th December 2003, 01:44   #45
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

You may want to take a look at this.

I've never had any problems (stability or otherwise) with nVidia's Linux drivers, and additionally they support Xinerama very well.

That said, I'd appreciate it if you kept this thread on topic .

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Old 5th December 2003, 06:08   #46
dopey

Send a message via ICQ to dopey
russ is the zlib licence, like the bsd licence ?
thats awesome stuff.

Quote:
That said, I'd appreciate it if you kept this thread on topic .
ill shut up about it, ordered the nvidia 5700 ultra at 100 quid for the price it has to be better than my old mx440

Quote:
and dammit, i can't get your dpm package to work, get's this error

'wasabi.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Segmentation fault'
ertmann after you install it what do you run ?

uninstall it and reinstall it..

the run Winamp3 (as root) which will then start a bash script.. after the script is done run Winamp3
which should start Winamp3

I started working on the loki installer program its a head fuck in all honesty.. im working on the installer method still when i work it out ill post that up aswell should make life easier.

Last edited by dopey; 5th December 2003 at 06:45.
Old 5th December 2003, 12:02   #47
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

The zlib license is what's currently on the top of every Wasabi SDK file, namely:

Quote:
This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied
warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages
arising from the use of this software.

Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose,
including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it
freely, subject to the following restrictions:

1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not
claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this software
in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be
appreciated but is not required.
2. Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be
misrepresented as being the original software.
3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any source distribution.
It's like the new BSD license, yes.

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Old 18th December 2003, 01:38   #48
Brennan
Monkey Hump Master

FWIW, 99% of the platform-specific code is in BaseWnd, Region, and Canvas. The ported Linux versions of those are in the SDK. They are from the 488 port, though, and they need to be updated. Sooo, if you want Linux bad enough, check out the files in bfc/platform/linux/.

Actually, right before my last build (499g) I had moved most of the nonportable code out of BaseWnd and into StdWnd. So the first best step would probably be using the (already ported) linux_basewnd.cpp to port StdWnd to Linux.

Brennan
Old 22nd December 2003, 05:40   #49
s0be
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to s0be Send a message via AIM to s0be Send a message via Yahoo to s0be
Quote:
Originally posted by zborgerd

And *stay away* from nForce on Linux. The Realtek lan drivers are terrible and cause brief system hangs while browsing the web. The audio drivers only support one sound stream at any given time.
As far as the nforce-net drivers go, check out forcedeth, the reverse engineered nforce-net driver. it's in mm's 2.6 tree branch.

also, as far as the audio driver problems. the nforce-audio chipset(ac'97) use a soundstorm chipset which has a seperate hardware mixer which hasn't been opened up yet. they have opened up the digital audio out(hardware 5.1 encoding). and they are working on a software hack to mux the audio layers together.

s0be

p.s.
picking up some of the optimizations that'll need to go into wasabi.player:linux would be right down my alley once I finish my current hacking project on linux.

And On that day, the Lords of the land said unto their Master Architect, "The temple you have made to the gods of Wasabi and Maki has brought us no great prosperity" and they sent out him into the lands.

As he traveled to a far off land, he found he wasn't traveling alone, but that he had gained companions, and when they found their new land, they started work on a new temple, one that would be OPEN to all who wanted to worship.

from The Book of Wasabi C 12 Vs 09 (pg 2003)
Old 7th January 2004, 07:00   #50
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

nice one s0be
Old 20th February 2004, 00:44   #51
dopey

Send a message via ICQ to dopey
the amount of problems ive had with this nforce2 board has been unreal, i knew i should have bought kt600 based. Anyway it seems to all be sorted now, had to patch 2.6.3 and the sound issue is annoying only 1 sound source at anytime, thanks for the tips.

As for wasabi id love to give a helping hand even if its doing site / doc / doing an installer for linux.

problem is currently working on my deffered final yr project for uni, (network management, manipulating snmp) i was originally interested in wasabi to see if i could use that to build the project on, (just out of curiosity) but im doing it in java, with a lot of headaches

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Wasabi Development