Old 5th June 2004, 01:39   #1
dlichterman
Forum King

Driving Laws

Hey im wondering if anyone knows any of the fucking car law stuff-

I live in california- the whole 6 motnths before anyone under 20 rule sucks BTW- and was wondering if I cross into Arizona do the laws change for me or stay because i have a CA license? If I go visit a friend can I drive them legally is what im asking. DO california 6-month laws still hold water?

thanks
-daniel

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
dlichterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2004, 01:43   #2
MStar
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to MStar Send a message via AIM to MStar Send a message via Yahoo to MStar
6 months before anyone under 20? You got it easy.

After the learner's permit, when you need a supervisor in the car, You can only have 1 passenger in your car for the first 2 years.

MStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2004, 01:50   #3
griffinn
Court Jester
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to griffinn
  • Alabama - It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle.
  • California - It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.
  • California - Women may not drive in a house coat.
  • Florida - If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.
  • Texas - It is illegal to drive without windshield wipers. You don't need a windshield, but you must have the wipers.

The smiley slot machine! | Quotable Blog
griffinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2004, 02:17   #4
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

You'll probably fall under Arizona guidlines, although if you were to get a ticket while there, your insurance company would either severly jack up your premium or drop you altogether. But, that is a good question, something I've never thought of.
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2004, 02:21   #5
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

ShyShy's right.

Driving laws are specific to where you are at the moment, not to where your license was issued.

Same reason I still can't use a V1 in Virginia, even though I have one because they're legal in Georgia.

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2004, 02:24   #6
Nofx Guy
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nofx Guy
okay the driving laws in the states are pie compared to up here in manitoba. we have this graduated licence thing where no matter what age you are, once you get your licence you are on a learners period for 9 months where you have to drive with someone in the car who has had there licence for over 4 years, then you go on a 16 month intermediate period where you can only drive with 1 person in the car from 1am-6am and any other time with only 3 other people unless one of them has their licence and then after that you go on another 6 month probation period..

i was lucky though i got my licence like 6 months before those new laws came into play..

www.audioflo.ath.cx
All music, All the Time
Nofx Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2004, 03:14   #7
Coman
Punk
(Forum King)

damn, your laws suck! in north carolina if you get your license after you're 18 you have no restrictions. and you don't have to have any experience whatsoever, just pass the tests.

"Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?"
Coman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2004, 03:45   #8
aFfLiCtEd
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by ScorLibran
ShyShy's right.

Driving laws are specific to where you are at the moment, not to where your license was issued.

Same reason I still can't use a V1 in Virginia, even though I have one because they're legal in Georgia.
ScorLibran's right.

Remember also that the "I didn't know" plea will not be considered by officers and/or judge's in any traffic court.

The statutorial answer to such plea is "Ignorance Is No Excuse".

You did the smart thing by inquiring.
aFfLiCtEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2004, 03:54   #9
Bazman63
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by griffinn
  • California - It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.
  • California - Women may not drive in a house coat.
Who makes these laws up?

But! yeah, local law applies, like national laws. What's illegal in one place is illegal no matter where your from. (Or legal, of course).

'In this country, it takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.'"
Bazman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2004, 06:18   #10
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally posted by griffinn
[BTexas - It is illegal to drive without windshield wipers. You don't need a windshield, but you must have the wipers.[/B]
[car nut]
Wonder what Texan-born Ford-racer Carroll Shelby has to say about this, given that his 1960's Shelby Cobras didn't have a single windshield wiper on even the production 289 FIA/427 S/Cs...
[/car nut]

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2004, 13:48   #11
dlichterman
Forum King

so are we saying that laws apply in the state you are in? or do some laws get carried over with your license? ugh.....ill just call the DMV......god i hate them

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
Old 5th June 2004, 13:56   #12
Cleanup
The WWYD Jerk
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Nofx Guy
okay the driving laws in the states are pie compared to up here in manitoba. we have this graduated licence thing where no matter what age you are, once you get your licence you are on a learners period for 9 months where you have to drive with someone in the car who has had there licence for over 4 years, then you go on a 16 month intermediate period where you can only drive with 1 person in the car from 1am-6am and any other time with only 3 other people unless one of them has their licence and then after that you go on another 6 month probation period..
Kind of like that in Ontario. As soon as you take a preliminary test, you get your G1, which enables you to drive in the city (not on the highway) as long as somebody with at least four years of driving experience and a valid drivers' license is in the car with you. In a little while, you can apply for a G2, which allows you to drive in the city with a learners' permit, but forbids you from driving after midnight. Then, you can get an official license.
Cleanup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2004, 14:08   #13
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

The majority of driving laws are similar from state to state. You are obligated to abide by the state laws in which you are driving. Origin of your license has absolutely nothing to do with it, as long as it's valid.

Trust me on this one.

BTW, at 15 years, 6 months you are eligible for your learner's permit in Colorado but must be accompanied by an adult until 16, when you recieve your license. You also have to accrue a set amount of driving hours, both daylight and nighttime to be signed off by an adult.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2004, 14:11   #14
griffinn
Court Jester
(Forum King)

Laws that make sure stupid drivers kill themselves but no others -- now those would be worth implementing.

Old 5th June 2004, 14:15   #15
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Unfortunately, I've seen too many kids kill 3 or 4 friends in their car and sometimes remain alive to live with it forever
Old 5th June 2004, 15:22   #16
Wolfgang
Forum King

Driving in Peru is stupid. For my exam, I turned up in a Subaru Forester, which is not the smallest of vehicles. Everyone else showed up in a Tico, which is a bit like a tin of sardines:

The geniuses at the ministry of transport decided that the exam should be on a specially designed circuit outside the city (about 20km) in the desert, and you have to go there alone, i.e. you drive there without your license. As almost everyone goes in a Tico (you can rent them for 40 soles (about $12) outside the place for a whole day), they've also decided to make the circuit a bit smaller to make it tougher to pass. This means that this go-kart circuit is not fit for normal cars. And worst of all, it is a crap preparation for the world outside, where traffic lights don't work and you really have to depend on other peoples' brakes working.

I was really surprised when I saw that in England if the light is on green but on the other side of the crossing the road is jammed, people will actually wait. It's perfectly logical, but I'd never seen that before. In Peru if it's green, you move until you can't go any further. It's terrible, but in a sense it works, there aren't very many accidents.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2004, 01:22   #17
CaboWaboAddict
Forum Sot
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally posted by Coman
damn, your laws suck! in north carolina if you get your license after you're 18 you have no restrictions. and you don't have to have any experience whatsoever, just pass the tests.
Now in Georgia, you have to have good grades and attendance in school to get a permit. You have to have a permit to take driver's ed. Then you have to drive with an adult for 1 year. Or wait till your 18 and get one without knowing jack shit.

Up till a few years ago, none of this was required. That's why there's so many piss poor drivers in the South.

I need a drink before I hit the highway! Mas Tequila!

Idiot's Advocate
My site (under construction)
CaboWaboAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2004, 01:58   #18
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
Originally posted by dlichterman
so are we saying that laws apply in the state you are in?
Yes.

Quote:
...or do some laws get carried over with your license?
No.

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2004, 02:07   #19
s1138
Alumni?

Send a message via ICQ to s1138 Send a message via AIM to s1138 Send a message via Yahoo to s1138
Quote:
Originally posted by CaboWaboAddict
Now in Georgia, you have to have good grades and attendance in school to get a permit. You have to have a permit to take driver's ed. Then you have to drive with an adult for 1 year. Or wait till your 18 and get one without knowing jack shit.

Up till a few years ago, none of this was required. That's why there's so many piss poor drivers in the South.
haha. luckily i got my license a few months before that law went into effect.

permit@15 if good grades in school
takes drivers ed...and can only drive with parent in car.
license@16 if you passed all requirements

but hell, the drivers test was...i drove around the block. and i got it.

s1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2004, 02:08   #20
dlichterman
Forum King

ok...but i think i will call the DMV tomorrow just ot check...yeha i know the cops dont take 'I DIDNT KNOW'

Old 7th June 2004, 02:36   #21
griffinn
Court Jester
(Forum King)

Quote:
yeha i know the cops dont take 'I DIDNT KNOW'
Especially if you say it in ALL CAPS.

Old 7th June 2004, 04:51   #22
dlichterman
Forum King

har de fucking har griffin mr. court jester forum king

Old 7th June 2004, 05:08   #23
s0be
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to s0be Send a message via AIM to s0be Send a message via Yahoo to s0be
Well, for driving laws to carry over from one state to another, or rather, for you to be able to gain rights in another state that your licensce doesn't give you in your home one, depends on the wording of your license's laws.

If the license is actually worded as a 'permit,' going to another state might not give you the rights. In Michigan, there's a gruaduated 'permit' system, where your ID card is actually a permit to drive with an adult, from 6:00 am to 8:00 pm until you're 17. This is NOT a driver's license. Once you get your actual license, you have all the benefits that go with it.

s0be

And On that day, the Lords of the land said unto their Master Architect, "The temple you have made to the gods of Wasabi and Maki has brought us no great prosperity" and they sent out him into the lands.

As he traveled to a far off land, he found he wasn't traveling alone, but that he had gained companions, and when they found their new land, they started work on a new temple, one that would be OPEN to all who wanted to worship.

from The Book of Wasabi C 12 Vs 09 (pg 2003)
s0be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2004, 06:13   #24
dlichterman
Forum King

mine is a 'provisional license'

Old 7th June 2004, 14:22   #25
CaboWaboAddict
Forum Sot
(Major Dude)

What are the provisions specified?

Idiot's Advocate
Old 7th June 2004, 21:44   #26
dlichterman
Forum King

the whole cant drive anyone under 20 for 6 months thing and also cant drive at 12am to 5am...thats why im wondering

Old 8th June 2004, 03:28   #27
CaboWaboAddict
Forum Sot
(Major Dude)

That provision may carry over to other states because its not a full license. Its more of a permit. I would call the State Police in both your state and the state you want to go to to find out for sure. That's the only safe way.

Idiot's Advocate
Old 8th June 2004, 03:45   #28
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Quote:
Originally posted by aFfLiCtEd
ScorLibran's right.

Remember also that the "I didn't know" plea will not be considered by officers and/or judge's in any traffic court.

The statutorial answer to such plea is "Ignorance Is No Excuse".

You did the smart thing by inquiring.
However, if you you were licenced(sp) by a state with no such restrictions, like a WV (were my GF is from) or KY (were I go to school) and were 16 driving in Cal. with a full car load, you could not be ticketed because of the full-faith and credit clause in the Constitution (or an amendment, I dont remember which).

also...
Quote:
Wonder what Texan-born Ford-racer Carroll Shelby has to say about this, given that his 1960's Shelby Cobras didn't have a single windshield wiper on even the production 289 FIA/427 S/Cs...
Such car restrictions never apply to cars produced before the laws
example: front seat belts were not required until around 1963?(best guess for my native Ohio) or so, so when I drive my uncles '57 Chevy, and Im not wearing any seatbelt Im perfectly legal.

also...
If all driving was like in the dominican republic, anything would go. No one is ever cited for anything, and all the signs and lights are pretty much just suggestions. If you do get pulled over, it is usually because the pig just wants to get a bribe out of you. The only thing that holds any water is that anyone invoved in an accident spends the night in jail. However, if you have the right thing on your insurance, its more like a hotel room, than jail.

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 04:00   #29
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally posted by shakey_snake
Such car restrictions never apply to cars produced before the laws
example: front seat belts were not required until around 1963?(best guess for my native Ohio) or so, so when I drive my uncles '57 Chevy, and Im not wearing any seatbelt Im perfectly legal.
Actually, Carroll Shelby does have official reproductions of the car under Shelby Performance Inc. (I.E. These are not replica kit cars), both the CSX4000 (427 S/C) and CSX8000 (289 FIA), that are sold in today's market...Everything about it is the same as the 60's originals, such as reproduction carb 427 and 302 V8s, the chassis structure and dimentions, suspension setup, brakes, body, everything...I might guess that includes the wipers too, although I'm not sure...

[edit]And I, MidnightViper88, am an official dumbass...Looking at the pictures on Carroll Shelby's site, the reproductions do, infact, have windshield wipers...Duh! [/edit]

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 10:40   #30
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I'm seriously diggin' on the new Cobra concept:
2004 Shelby Cobra Concept

605 HORSEPOWER!
Old 8th June 2004, 12:10   #31
CaboWaboAddict
Forum Sot
(Major Dude)

pretty friggin awesome!

Idiot's Advocate
Old 8th June 2004, 13:20   #32
dlichterman
Forum King

605....dam......

but here in cali thas a little expensive to drive....

Old 8th June 2004, 13:26   #33
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

In Denmark you must take atleast 24 driving lessons á 45 mins with a certified teacher.

20 theory lessons á 45 mins.

pass a muliple choice test with 50 questions (with a maximum of 5 wrong to pass).

a 2 hour practical test with a police official ...

and be atleast 18 years of age....

it'll set you back atleast 1100 USD

and if that wasn't enough, a new car, that cost 50.000 DKK (8500 USD) from the factory, will cost you 229.000 DKK (38000 USD) after taxation, so you wont even be able to buy a car before you get a well payed job---
ertmann|CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2004, 11:10   #34
Wolfgang
Forum King

plus insurance, road tax, gasoline, maintenance...
much better off with a bike in Denmark. Or anywhere really, unless it's the Himalayas. Maybe a yak would be better then.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2004, 01:52   #35
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
I failed my road test yesterday. boo for the jackass who failed me.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2004, 03:18   #36
aFfLiCtEd
Major Dude

boo for the jackass who failed ... what??
aFfLiCtEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2004, 04:32   #37
dlichterman
Forum King

how the fuck do you FAIL...OMG unless its one of those people who fails everyone

Old 11th June 2004, 20:07   #38
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Thanks. I feel better now.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2004, 01:16   #39
dlichterman
Forum King

no problem

Old 12th June 2004, 01:44   #40
eleet-2k2
Forum King

Ontario has some pretty strict laws but not as strict compared to some of thsse I've read. We have a graduated license system, so you gotta get your G1 (learner's), then take a road test to get a G2 (second learner's permit) then take another road test to get a full G (car) license.

Here's how they breakdown:
G1: must have a person with valid full license of 4 years or more full license experience sitting in passenger seat; no alcohol, no driving between 12am-5am; no highways where speed limit is >80km/h or 50mph, unless with licensed driving instructor; no more passengers in the car than the # of working seatbelts; must only take written test to get G1

G2: must wait 8-12 months (8 if you've taken driving lessons) with G1 with passed road test to get G2; no alcohol, can have I believe 1 more person in the car than there are working seatbelts

G: full, unrestricted license.

"Welcome to the Island of people who know too much."..."Did you really think balloons would stop him?!"
See what I'm listening too.
eleet-2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions