Old 9th July 2005, 20:18   #1
mds123

Send a message via ICQ to mds123
I have some MPEG 2.0 layer 3 recorded in a CD but with .mid extension insted of mp2. When i double click a file like that Winamp opens and tries to play it with midi input plugin. Since it is not a midi file it does not play and stops, and winamp does not try to play it with another plugin trying guess the content type :~-|
So i have uninstalled the midi input and when then it works as expected. I think the midi input have a bug.
Thanks

[Edit --> DJ Egg]
No! The Midi plugin is configured to play .mid files by default (prefs > plugins > input > in_midi > config > file types tab). If you deselect MID, or disable in_midi then in_mp3 will attempt to play ANY unrecognised/unsupported filetypes due to the setting at: Prefs > Playlist: Assume file ext of unknown files = mp3. Basically, this is all by design, and certainly not a bug, ie. the file extension (not the content) determines which input plugin should be used.
mds123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2005, 21:40   #2
mds123

Send a message via ICQ to mds123
Quote:
Originally posted by mds123
I have some MPEG 2.0 layer 3 recorded in a CD but with .mid extension insted of mp2. When i double click a file like that Winamp opens and tries to play it with midi input plugin. Since it is not a midi file it does not play and stops, and winamp does not try to play it with another plugin trying guess the content type :~-|
So i have uninstalled the midi input and when then it works as expected. I think the midi input have a bug.
Thanks

[Edit --> DJ Egg]
No! The Midi plugin is configured to play .mid files by default (prefs > plugins > input > in_midi > config > file types tab). If you deselect MID, or disable in_midi then in_mp3 will attempt to play ANY unrecognised/unsupported filetypes due to the setting at: Prefs > Playlist: Assume file ext of unknown files = mp3. Basically, this is all by design, and certainly not a bug, ie. the file extension (not the content) determines which input plugin should be used.
Please reconsider, Mister DJ Egg: my father made that cd with wrong extensions, but he could play all of them in windows media 10 with the default configuration. We do not want to leave WinAmp! Save-us! The workaround instructions you wrote does not work.
Thanks anyway
mds123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2005, 21:54   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

[Posts split from Plugin Bug Reports sticky]

I didn't actually give any workaround. All I said was that it isn't a bug, but it's the way the Winamp plugin architecure works/is designed (ie. the file extension determines which input plugin/decoder is used).

Unselect MID from the MIDI plugin config (in_midi > Filetypes tab), then add ;MID to the extension list in the MPEG Audio Decoder (in_mp3) config > Extension List.

This should work, but alas it'll then mean that you won't be able to play any proper .mid files any more (not unless you change the settings back).
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports