Old 12th December 2007, 02:02   #1
fc*uk

The price of CD's

Has anyone noticed that the price of physical CDs have actually gone up? About $20-$25 for one disc; $30-$40 for two discs ... up to $100 if it is rare?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_m/...y+boys&x=0&y=0

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_m/...lashes&x=0&y=0

Did I fucking miss something, or does the music industry want me to go back to stealing it?

I see that some of the CDs are imports, so maybe $20-$25 for that ... but the rest? Bloody hell.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 02:11   #2
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

fuck buying shit.
skryingbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 02:19   #3
fc*uk

normally I would make some half assed attempt to argue that. But at those prices ...

Quote:
fuck buying shit
Old 12th December 2007, 11:59   #4
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

Re: The price of CD's

Quote:
Originally posted by fc*uk

Did I fucking miss something, or does the music industry want me to go back to stealing it?

No, they just want your money!
P$ycHo™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 12:04   #5
sgtfuzzbubble011

I refuse to buy CDs from the store anymore. The only time I'll buy a CD from a store is if it's a used CD and the price is really cheap. On rare occasions, I'll order a CD online. But even then, it's not going to be any of the crap they push in local music stores. The last CDs I bought were used CDs from half.com and a Machinae Supremacy CD that I ordered directly from their own website. I don't mind actually buying a CD if the music is genuinely good and the price isn't outrageous, but local music stores don't sell genuinely good music, and they sure as hell don't have decent prices. So in conclusion, they can kiss my ass.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 13:18   #6
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Used off Amazon FTW.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 16:10   #7
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Yea, if I'm going to buy a CD, it's going to be used.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 17:51   #8
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
I buy used from the Louisville-local chain Book & Music Exchange, since they sell used entertainment media at cheap prices...

Every now and then, I still buy new if I really want the CD and I can get it for under $14 (And the only place I buy new is at Target, and most of the CDs I really want are under $14 anyway, and I work at Target, and I've got a Target member discount, so figure that exception out )...

But $20-$25 for a single disk? Fuck, I've never seen single disk CDs priced that high (Except at FYE, where their used CDs are decent, but their new prices are fucking retarded)...Imports may be the reason, as in the case of those Tidy Boys CDs, but the Lisa Lashes prices just sounds like a general rip-off by the band itself...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 23:56   #9
fc*uk

Quote:
Originally posted by ElChevelle
Used off Amazon FTW.
Dude, some of the used ones are $100, or quickly approaching that!!!!

Even imports don't stand up to legitimate reasoning for inflated costs. I imported Hard, Fast, and Furious to myself when the label was claiming that they were not going to sell it here in the states (three cd set mixed by three different djs). It cost me 12 pounds for the CD and 3 pounds to ship it. That's like $30 ... and large stores such as amazon probably get discounts.
Old 14th December 2007, 00:13   #10
eheiney
und keine Eier!

Send a message via AIM to eheiney
When I was into collecting for a little while, I encountered some very high costs. For example, this Nine Inch Nails single import. I don't know if this is the same in your case, but collectors drive up a lot of the prices, usually trying to get their money back or more when they sell it, hoping that another collector will pay that much. Unfortunately, the average consumer who simply would like the CD just to listen to is totally fucked, forced then to just download the tracks.

Spiral out, my friend. You will find your way back to yourself, we all will.
I'll be waiting, and shall see you on the other side...
eheiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 13:14   #11
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Dude, some of the used ones are $100, or quickly approaching that!!!!

What?
I never pay more than 10 bucks including shipping.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 20:17   #12
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
Re: The price of CD's

Quote:
Has anyone noticed that the price of physical CDs have actually gone up? About $20-$25 for one disc; $30-$40 for two discs ... up to $100 if it is rare?
Where do you buy your CDs?

I usually don't pay more than $15(after tax) for a CD. I have paid a tad over $20 for CDs before but I was only able to find them at one place in town.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 22:58   #13
fc*uk

Quote:
Originally posted by ElChevelle
What?
I never pay more than 10 bucks including shipping.
Now ya get my complaint!

@deeder: Unfortunately, I do not have too much of a choice as to where I get them from. I generally go with who ever has it over here. Local places are generally always out; some of the time I get lucky and a place similar to amazon will carry it; other times I buy it from small independent DJ shops (which are actually very cheap); most of the time I import it myself by finding some place over seas that will ship to the states.
Old 14th December 2007, 23:20   #14
TheElusiveMelon

I import CDs from the USA because they are so much cheaper than england (and some i just can't buy here), especially with the exchange rate ($2 to the pound ). I use cduniverse, I've bought CDs there for $7.99, which is a real bargain for me, considering they would cost me atleast £13 here.

I mainly buy bulk lots from USA though, to make sure the airmail and customs costs are still worthwile.

So in my experience, you guys have it pretty sweet there
TheElusiveMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2007, 01:41   #15
fc*uk

Heh. Maybe, maybe not

Unfortunately, UK hard house does not make it this way too much, and when it does, they hit you hard for it --- import or not. CDuniverse was much more reasonable, but they were still hitting $30 for a single disc ... and at that cost, even with how weak the dollar is, it is still cheaper to import it myself (in bulk as you mentioned, for the same reasons you mentioned).
Old 15th December 2007, 03:37   #16
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Even imports don't stand up to legitimate reasoning for inflated costs.
It's legitimate, none more than if you import a car, or exchange currency...It's a piece of circular plastic with data burned onto it, sure, but it's still a foreign good...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 15th December 2007, 11:38   #17
TheElusiveMelon

Yeah, a lot of obscure power metal doesnt seem to make its way to England, i guess our lower popultion means it isn't worthwhile stocking it, so i have to look elsewhere.

It seems strange how i have to go abroad to find these obscure cds, but the price is less than what i would pay for a #1 album in the shops!

My most recent buy was a cd which i got from Germany from Amazon market place, and came to a total of £6.49. Thats like bargain bin prices in the high street shops. And this cd wasn't availabe anywhere, i even tried direct from the record label!
TheElusiveMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2007, 03:10   #18
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
I buy cds on amazon or half, rip, then sell. In other words I'm gunna get busted some day.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 05:55   #19
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

FYE has the worst prices for CDs...

I was looking for this one Atreyu CD that was $20 or something around that, on sale for $14.99 at FYE...I found it $13.99 at Best Buy, and $12.99 at Target (Plus my discount)...

What kind of a sale is that, FYE?

But then again, they also carry used...I found a Switchfoot CD used at FYE for under $5...score

Old 19th December 2007, 06:10   #20
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Around 8 years ago when it was NRM (National Record Mart), common new CDs were 18.99 plus tax. I haven't bought a new CD in a retail store since then. I just go used or through a DJ service.

Old 19th December 2007, 07:10   #21
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

I buy a CD if it's a band I care about, one that is still active and making music I wish to support.

I get copies or buy used the rest.

Go read a book without pictures
pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote
Fickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 18:32   #22
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

I remember when CDs were really expensive but had their prices dropped in responce to the lack of CD sales as a result of internet music downloads...

Old 23rd December 2007, 07:56   #23
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by MidnightViper88
I remember when CDs were really expensive but had their prices dropped in responce to the lack of CD sales as a result of internet music downloads...
I remember when the world had to adjust to the music companies going from cassettes to CDs. Looks like it's their turn, huh?

Go read a book without pictures
pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote
Fickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 23:24   #24
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Fickle
I remember when the world had to adjust to the music companies going from cassettes to CDs. Looks like it's their turn, huh?
Damn, never really thought of it that way, but I'm glad you said it. We changed with the times and technology, why can't they?

Old 8th January 2008, 23:54   #25
fc*uk

I just barfed up 17 gbp for a cd.

Screw consumerism.

Damn, I am an idiot.
Old 11th January 2008, 03:01   #26
rcstorm89

Quote:
Originally posted by skryingbreath
fuck buying shit.
LOL, some people are so open about their feelings. But they're right. Artists whine bitch about losing money from illegal downloads, and they're charging over $20 per copy of an album they make (most of which have only one or two decent songs).
rcstorm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist