Old 24th February 2008, 15:19   #1
tanstaafl

Updated sound drivers -> DirectSound output error

Winamp version: 5.51, with one 3rd party plugin (Tara)

Language pack: default English US

Skin: Classic

Windows OS: Vista Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000 according to DxDiag)

System: Dell Inspiron 530; Motherboard model 0RY007; Core 2 Duo E4500 2.20 GHz; 2.99 GB RAM; Intel P35/G33/G31 Express chipset

Video card: integrated Intel G33/G31 Express (GMA 3100). Driver version 7.14.10.1350

Sound Card: Realtek High Definition Audio (integrated). Driver version 6.0.1.5555

DirectX Version: DirectX 10

Plugin causing the bug: DirectSound output v2.47 (d)

After updating the drivers for my RealTek integrated sound and rebooting, when I opened Winamp and tried to play a WAV file, I received the following error in a dialog box:

NullSoft DirectSound output v2.47 (d) error
Device not found. Please select another device in configuration. Error code: 88780078

I would click OK, then the same dialog box error would pop up ad infinitum. So I had to kill the Winamp process.

I ran Winamp again and reproduced the error (resulting in having to kill Winamp again).

To fix the problem, I tried switching to the WaveOut plugin. This allowed playback with no errors. Then I selected DirectSound output again and clicked "configure". The output was set to 01: Primary Sound Driver. I selected instead 02: Speakers (RealTek High Definition Audio), clicked OK, then closed preferences. This also allowed playback with no problems. Then I went back to the DirectSound output configuration and selected the original 01: Primary Sound Driver. Now that works, too.
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports