Old 2nd June 2009, 17:11   #1
prewitt

Rotate or change intro file periodically

I want to start selling my 30 second intro file. I want to change it each day or week or hour or at a random time and not kick off all of my listeners each time I do it. I understand shoutcast loads the file into RAM when it starts so just swapping out the actual mp3 will not do it. Is there ANY way possible of setting this up? I can't code well but may be able to find someone who can if I need to.

I have read a bunch of old threads asking about this and a few say people were working on it but I can't find a recent one saying this is possible or not possible. If it can't be done with the intro.mp3 file is there another way of playing a short add before a live stream or an on demand stream. Thanks ahead of time
prewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 17:23   #2
dotme

If you control access to the playlist (PLS) file, you can specify a file to play before connecting to the shoutcast server.

Of course, people who tune in via the YP won't get that, because the YP generates its own PLS files.

[playlist]
numberofentries=2
File1=http://mysite/myfile.mp3
Title1=My Station - www.mysite.com
Length1=-1
File2=http://myShoutcastserver:8082
Title2=My Station - www.mysite.com
Length2=-1
Version=2
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 18:39   #3
prewitt

Just to make sure I understand ,I would need to create a text file like the one above named something.pls and link to it from our website. When listeners click on it it plays the myfile.mpr then moves on to the stream? I have links for users on Windows Media and Real Player so I asume I can do something similar for them with different file extensions?
prewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 19:53   #4
Brutish Sailor
Major Dude

Send a message via Skype™ to Brutish Sailor
Yes, but keep in mind this wont work for Itunes users, as it only plays the first file its pointed at.. No ability to switch from file to stream.

Configure it for WMP (.asx) ,Winamp (.pls) , and REAL (.ram).

KNSJ.org 89.1 FM San Diego
Brutish Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009, 00:48   #5
Tom

If you're on *nix then the WINCH command should reload the introfile from the config file.

kill -WINCH pid

Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions