Old 21st July 2011, 22:47   #881
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Hard to go on if people think of you in such low regard.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 01:57   #882
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Not fucking around.
The thing that stops me some days is that it would really hurt some people. I've lost a couple friends by suicide. It hurts in a different way than when it's natural causes or accident. It's also contagious. Natural and accidental deaths are a hard thing. Suicide is devastating.

When I feel like that, I remind myself that I am far too self involved. Then I try to figure out something to do to brighten someone elses day. It usually makes me feel better.

The way I look at suicide is that it's revenge on everyone that ever cared about you. It's a rather vicious act.

I never really felt that mean.

Plus, when they put my ashes out in the cow field in Verboort, I'd rather be remembered for being the nice guy that I am mostly (with moments of asshole). I would not like to be remembered as the guy someone found swinging off a rafter or who blew himself all over the bathroom.

It just wouldn't be dignified. I'd feel like a pussy. Life is tough. I am fucking tougher.

Frankly Chev, I'd be happy if we both died of old age.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 04:01   #883
kenvinlee89

chicken pot pies tonight.

Old 22nd July 2011, 04:37   #884
rockouthippie
Banned

3 BK stackers. Some fries. A chocolate shake. I did take some Zantac about a half an hour ago.
Old 22nd July 2011, 15:47   #885
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
For our anniversary, we ate at the Great Lakes Brewery (menu) while on a trip to Cleveland for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. We also saw an opera [Hansel & Gretel] that night too. The meal was a burger with Edmund Fitzgerald Porter BBQ sauce plus bacon, lettuce and cheese). The bun was made from hot pretzel material, and it had home hand-breaded onion rings on the side along with fries that had some pretty delicious seasoning on them. I never knew such a common burger & fries dish could be so uniquely delicious. I also had four 5-ounce samplers of some of the brews they had on tap that I hadn't photographed before. They were Wright Pils, Lorelei Dunkel Weizen, Cellar Dweller, and Commodore Perry IPA (not necessarily in the order pictured). I'll have the individual beers described in the beer threads in the Recycle bin later.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 17:18   #886
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

No appetite.
Nothing sounds good.
Sucks.
Old 24th July 2011, 00:01   #887
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ It doesn;t matter if you are hungry, you have to put a lil sumpin'. sumpin' in the Tum-Tum. Some Brown Rice and Steamed Veggies. Good for you right now.
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 01:16   #888
fc*uk

Love great lakes brewing companies beer. Try to get ahold of their Christmas Ale if you are ever lucky enough to find it. I like to call it Christmas Crack. I think you get the picture. Nothing like it in the world. Last year, I was able to score two half gallon growlers because I was in the area at the time. Each growler cost me $60. It was the best money I ever spent. Usually 6 packs sell for $15-$20 ...

Dinner?

Oh my manners. Orange chicken.

Prior to that: Sangrita and tequila. Note that this is not sangria. Sangrita is a drink that the Mexicans supposedly use to chase poor quality home made tequila. I've been training some Mexicans in the US for a product transfer. I've showed them how to test shit, they have showed me how to cook and drink like a Mexican. I was chosen for the deal because, well, I know Spanish... All in all, I think it is a good deal. The reality behind that motive is that I learned spanish simply so I could go to Mexico and live, hopefully like a Mexican. I like to experience other cultures..

They suggested sangrita because I could not tell them honestly if I liked tequila or not... only thing I have ever had is Quervo, which is shit and I know it.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 02:42   #889
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
$60 each for growlers at Great Lakes? I pay less than 20 at the same place (even less yet if I remember to bring the empties back), although I wouldn't be surprised if they were selling Christmas Ale for more since people really do go crazy about it (since it is indeed usually delightful). 6-packs at grocery stores of Great Lakes beer in PA and OH range from $7-$11, unless it's an extra strong variety, which you'll more likely see at about $10 per 4-pack (e.g. Nosferatu, Blackout Stout, Lake Erie Monster, Doppelrock, Imperial Dortmunder). I wish I had the means to visit more often. They not only serve great food, but they take amazing environment-preserving measures. A funny example: they will take you to Cavs (NBA basketball) and Indians (MLB baseball) games and back for just a dollar in a bus that runs on their used deep-fry grease. The back of their menu also shows a complete list of their suppliers for all of their raw goods; all local and organic.

Tonight I had ham and fresh boiled silver queen corn. The ham was good, but the corn was some of the best I have ever eaten, and I don't even remember which guy I bought it from at the line of pickup trucks, so I don't know if I'll ever get it again.

Chev, EAT!
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 12:11   #890
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

California Pizza Kitchen

Managed to eat the whole thing. Not a hard task since it's like eating a thin sheet of cardboard.
Old 25th July 2011, 01:44   #891
sgtfuzzbubble011

Made some chili-cheese burritos at home since Taco Bell doesn't offer them any more. Got some large flour tortillas, a couple cans of Hormel beanless chili, a big block of awesome cheese to grate up, and a fresh head of lettuce to chop. I know, the lettuce isn't something that normally goes in chili-cheese burritos, but it's good.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 11:55   #892
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Lettuce is good on everything.
Old 28th July 2011, 23:35   #893
cjsnow1

RE: Dinner

Hard-Boiled Eggs. I forgot how good those things taste like with just some Salt & Pepper.
cjsnow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 23:36   #894
cjsnow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
For our anniversary, we ate at the Great Lakes Brewery (menu) while on a trip to Cleveland for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. We also saw an opera [Hansel & Gretel] that night too. The meal was a burger with Edmund Fitzgerald Porter BBQ sauce plus bacon, lettuce and cheese). The bun was made from hot pretzel material, and it had home hand-breaded onion rings on the side along with fries that had some pretty delicious seasoning on them. I never knew such a common burger & fries dish could be so uniquely delicious. I also had four 5-ounce samplers of some of the brews they had on tap that I hadn't photographed before. They were Wright Pils, Lorelei Dunkel Weizen, Cellar Dweller, and Commodore Perry IPA (not necessarily in the order pictured). I'll have the individual beers described in the beer threads in the Recycle bin later.
That looks SO delicious!
cjsnow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 09:31   #895
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
Lettuce is good on everything.
Agreed.

And for dinner last night, it was a frozen 3-meat pizza and a simple salad. My gf chopped up a fresh head of lettuce and sliced up a carrot into strings for the salad. Topped it off with some Caesar dressing, and it was delicious.
Old 17th August 2011, 01:01   #896
webthing
Forum King

Henry's Anytime Chilli For One
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c98_1313519733
webthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 10:35   #897
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Henry will not be competing on the next season of Top Chef!
Old 18th August 2011, 02:36   #898
rockouthippie
Banned

Had a rib steak, some fries, some salad.
Old 19th August 2011, 01:40   #899
fc*uk

ooooooooohhhhhhhh----doooooooooonnnnnn! or udon, what ever you prefer.

Smoking recipe. I'll get that up once I get my pc up. Don't follow it though; boil that sauce baby! That's what makes it hot.

Oh wait, the recipe is here: http://www.kare11.com/life/recipes/r...storyid=835757

I cook the noodles in the spicy black bean garlic sauce. Really unlocks the heat.
Old 22nd August 2011, 17:41   #900
sgtfuzzbubble011

Last night, it was General Tso's chicken with fried rice and an egg roll. Delicious.
Old 22nd August 2011, 17:56   #901
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Currently preparing (well mrs jones is) some mackerel fillets , flaked once cooked and then mixed with a horseradish and creme fraiche sauce, served with some boiled potatoes that are mixed with a little green pesto and a few cooked Italian tomatoes......

Nom.
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 19:44   #902
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

*knock* *knock* "Whoizzit?"
Old 23rd August 2011, 14:54   #903
sgtfuzzbubble011

Last night's dinner was 2 fajita chicken soft tacos with chips and queso from Casa Olé. The hospital told me to "eat lightly" for dinner since my PET scan is the next day (today). They didn't tell me specifically what "lightly" means.
Old 10th September 2011, 18:00   #904
fc*uk

pizza and garlic cheese bread. The pizza is easy to make. I'll assume we all know how to go that. The garlic cheese bread is out of this world. Recipe from Slice Pizza and Brew, Birmingham, AL.

Quote:
INGREDIENTS

2 cups bread flour

½ teaspoon instant yeast

1 teaspoon kosher salt

⅛ teaspoon dried Italian spices

1½ teaspoons honey

1 cup water, room temperature

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

4 teaspoons finely chopped garlic (about 5 garlic cloves), divided

2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided

1½ cups shredded mozzarella, divided

DIRECTIONS

1. In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix together the flour, yeast, salt and Italian spice blend. In a small bowl, whisk the honey into the water and, with the mixer running, pour the water-honey mixture into the dry ingredients. Scrape down the sides and mix on medium speed for 10 minutes until the dough sticks only to the bottom of the bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour.

2. Cut the dough into two balls, wrap each loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours.

3. Preheat the oven to 500°; if you're using a pizza stone, place it in the oven while it is preheating. Remove the dough balls from the refrigerator and stretch them into two 10-inch-long rectangles, about ½-inch thick. Rub each portion of dough with a tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread 2 teaspoons of garlic evenly over each portion of dough. Top each portion with 1 teaspoon fresh thyme and ¾ cup mozzarella. Place the breads on the preheated stone, if using; otherwise, place on a large sheet pan and bake until the breads are crispy and the cheese browned, about 10 minutes.

4. Remove the garlic bread from the oven, slice down the center lengthwise and cut into 2-inch squares. Serve immediately.
Old 10th September 2011, 20:28   #905
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Although I do quite a bit of Italian cooking, I suck at making Pizza dough. I really suck at it. Anyone for my Clam and Shrimp Sauce over Angel Hair?
Old 10th September 2011, 22:45   #906
fc*uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widdykats View Post
^ Although I do quite a bit of Italian cooking, I suck at making Pizza dough. I really suck at it.
Well now, we need to fix that.

If you have a Kitchenaid mixer or any sort of a food processor, this one should be a snap. I like it because it's so simple and think it has a really unique flavor. Nest of all, this crust also works well for grilled pizza's, if you are into that sort of thing.

Quote:
Ingredients

3/4 cup warm water
2 and 1/4 teaspoons of active dry yeast (1 packet)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 and 3/4 cups white flour
2 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil plus 1/4 teaspoon for the bowl

Directions

1. Pour the warm water into a small bowl. Add the yeast and sugar and stir until the yeast dissolves into a smooth beige color. Let stand for about 5 minutes to prove that the yeasted water is active. A thin layer of foam will appear at the top, indicating it is good.

2. Add the flour, salt, and cornmeal to a 4 or 5 qt standing mixing bowl. Use the dough hook attachment on the lowest speed to mix the ingredients. Add the yeasted water and the two tablespoons of olive oil. Mix on the lowest speed until the ingredients come together. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Then move to a medium high speed and kneed to 2 minutes. The batter will form a ball, unless it is too wet and sticky. If so, add only enough flour to prevent sticking. The dough should come off of the sides cleanly and form a ball.

3. Put the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of olive oil into a medium bowl. The dough will be sticky so flour your hands before picking it up, and place it in the bowl. Turn it over several times until it is coated in oil. This prevents a crust from forming on the outside as the dough rises.

4. Cover with plastic wrap, place in a draft-free, warm place 70 to 80F, for 2 hours, until it rises to almost double in appearance.

5. Chill the dough in a refrigerator overnight, or for 1 hour to firm it up. As the dough is sticky, chilling makes it easier to roll out. Chilling overnight will give more flavor and texture.

The dough will keep in the refrigerator for 3 days.
I usually skip step 5 altogether. I flour my counter and roll it out. This will make two pizza crusts. This dough should be rolled fairly thin.

If grilling, brush one side with olive oil and throw it on the grill, oil side down, for 2 minutes. Take it off and the grilled side is now the top of the pizza. Oil the new bottom, dress it up, return to the grill and grill over indirect heat until the cheese is melted or the bottom is done if you did not use any cheese.

If using a stone in the oven, then roll the dough out on parchment paper, dress the pizza, and transfer the whole thing including the parchment paper into the oven for 15 minutes. If you don't use parchment paper, you will never get the dough back off the stone.

Like I said, this crust is dead simple, yet it tastes absolutely amazing. It has become my go to recipe for everything pizza...
Old 11th September 2011, 00:43   #907
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ This will end up being another old I Love Lucy episode......but, thanks so much for the recipe.....*dread*
Old 11th September 2011, 20:20   #908
fc*uk

I got faith in you Widdy. You will be able to pull this one off.

Last night I made:

Quote:
INGREDIENTS
1 stick unsalted butter
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
12 cloves garlic, thinly sliced (about ⅓ cup)
4-58 árbol chiles
1 plum tomato, coarsely chopped
½ cup orange juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
1½ pounds skirt steak, trimmed of fat and sinew
6 corn tortillas, warmed
Lime wedges

1. In a small saucepan set over medium heat, melt the butter, allowing it to brown slightly, about 5 minutes. Add ½ cup of the olive oil, garlic and chiles. Stir the mixture and cook over low heat until the garlic is golden brown. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and orange juice and continue to simmer, cooking until the tomatoes begin to break down. Season with salt and pepper, remove the chiles and carefully transfer the mixture to a blender. Blend until smooth, return the mixture to the pan and keep warm.

2. In a medium skillet, cook the onions in the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil until softened and brown, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and keep warm.

3. Rub the skirt steak with some of the reserved sauce and season with salt and pepper. On a grill pan set over high heat, grill the skirt steak for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until medium-rare. Remove the steak from the grill, place on a cutting board and cover with aluminum foil for 10 minutes. Slice the steak against the grain into ½-inch slices.

4. To assemble the tacos, pile the reserved onions on top of the tortillas. Top with skirt steak, a bit of the garlic sauce and a squeeze of lime. Serve immediately.
I ate my arm and hoof!
Old 11th September 2011, 21:59   #909
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Oh, GOD!!!!!! That sounds so good. You have great recipes, which I steal...shhhhhhhhhh
Old 13th September 2011, 01:28   #910
fc*uk

Thanks widdy. Feel free to steal away.

Something that I have been experimenting with lately that most people shy away from has been tofu. Are you a fan? I've got two recipes (one Indian, the other more Oriental) that are nearly to die for ...
Old 13th September 2011, 09:33   #911
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

I've found Tofu sometimes difficult to work with. But, that being said, I'd like to see recipes.
Old 13th September 2011, 21:58   #912
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Something that I have been experimenting with lately that most people shy away from has been tofu.
http://www.jacn.org/content/19/2/207.full

high tofu intake may be associated with cognitive impairment and brain atrophy

Having spoken to a few Vegans, brain atrophy does seem to be a common impairment. It does also seem to make you want to wear Birkenstocks, dye your hair red and fuck with everybody.
Old 14th September 2011, 21:44   #913
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Gee, and all this time I thought it was "The Nip"
*Widdykats....Not a Red Head
I made Pork Chops and Smashed Potatoes and Salad.......
Old 15th September 2011, 01:14   #914
fc*uk

As requested, here are two of my best. Let me know if these actually work (i.e., you can get the recipes); I've never linked to dropbox before. Should work as these are in my public folder...

Spicy Tofu with Pork

Tandoori Tofu Curry

@ROH: yeah, I agree with you about tofu eating people as a general stereotype. For the record, I don't own Birkenstocks. Like Widdy, I thought that was cuz of the nip as well.
Old 15th September 2011, 09:26   #915
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Links were great ..Thanky...Who are you again?
Old 16th September 2011, 21:08   #916
rockouthippie
Banned

Tandoori freakin' Tofu? Barf!

About the only thing I like Tofu in is hot sour soup.

It is funny. In that recipe there is a copyright notice. You can't copyright a recipe.

I'm making a slow barbequed tri-tip roast. The meat has been marinading in Sweet Baby Rays since last night. The meat is USDA choice and is wonderfully marbled. It's going low, low, low on the gas grill for about an hour or a little more.

I was packing up some excess kitchen stuff. I figured I might not see my crepe pan for a while, so I made some crepes.

Filling.

Take your 2 quart pot. Fill it with peeled chopped green apples 3/4" (Fuji's are good. Granny Smith is good. Golden Delicious will make applesauce.) Set the apples aside, you were just measuring.

In, the pan, 1 cup water, 1/2 cup Red cinnamon imperial candy, 1/2 cup sugar. Heat it up and stir till it all dissolves. If you aren't boiling, boil.... on hi.

Turn off the stove and wait until you get below boiling. Add the apples back in and stir them around to get red all over them. Put a lid on your pot. Leave the pot on the off stove. Wait ten minutes..... stir the apples around again. Wait ten minutes..... stir the apples around again. Wait ten minutes. Take the apples out. Reduce the syrup as far as you can without turning it into caramel. (Less than soft ball).

Apples, cream cheese, syrup... on a chilled crepe.... It just doesn't get much better.
Old 16th September 2011, 21:18   #917
fc*uk

That copyright is for the software I use I think. I don't remember seeing a copyright in the original recipe when I imported it. You like the tofu in hot and sour soup because you can't taste it That was the first trick to me getting over my aversion to tofu; if it tastes like tofu, it's not so good. That tandoori recipe masks what it is.

Last night I also made:

Quote:
INGREDIENTS
Sauce

1 tablespoon cornstarch
½ cup water
½ cup soy sauce
½ cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon sambal chile paste
½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 serrano chile, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
One two-inch piece fresh ginger, scraped/peeled and finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)

Slaw

½ head green cabbage, thinly sliced (about 1½ cups)
½ head red cabbage, thinly sliced (about 1½ cups)
½ medium carrot, thinly sliced into 2-inch pieces
½ medium red pepper, thinly sliced
½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
1 Serrano chile, thinly sliced
5 basil leaves, thinly sliced

Shrimp

Vegetable oil
½ pound rock shrimp (or substitute 16-20 count shrimp cut into small cubes)
1 cup buttermilk
½ cup all-purpose flour
Black and white sesame seeds
1 tablespoon green onions, thinly sliced
Cilantro leaves

1. Make the sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water. Set aside. In a small saucepan, whisk together the soy sauce, brown sugar, chile paste, orange juice, chile, garlic and ginger and bring the sauce to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Whisk in the cornstarch-water mixture and bring the sauce back up to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, then remove the sauce from the heat and strain through a fine- mesh strainer. Set aside to cool.

2. Make the slaw: In a medium bowl, toss together the green and red cabbage, carrot, red pepper, onion, garlic, chile and basil. Set aside.

3. Make the shrimp: In a medium saucepan set over high heat, add enough oil to come halfway up the pot; heat until the oil reaches 350° (use a thermometer to measure the temperature). Put the rock shrimp in a large bowl and pour the buttermilk over them. Use a slotted spoon to remove the shrimp, drain off the excess buttermilk and, in a separate bowl, toss the shrimp with the flour. Shake off the excess flour and fry the shrimp for 1 to 1½ minutes until they are golden and crispy. Remove the shrimp from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.

4. In a large skillet set over high heat, sauté the reserved slaw and a third of the prepared sauce (reserved the remaining sauce for another use). Use a pair of tongs to toss the mixture until the slaw is coated evenly. Stir in the rock shrimp and toss again. Serve immediately with the sesame seeds, green onions and cilantro.
I was unable to find rock shrimp where I live so I used regular shrimp. Could see where the extra sweetness of the rock shrimp would have paid off; that sauce is a little bitter.
Old 16th September 2011, 21:40   #918
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
You like the tofu in hot and sour soup because you can't taste it
The texture is somehow necessary though.

I like curry shrimp. I don't really follow a recipe. A roux turned into milk gravy, some curry, a little saffron, a couple allspice, some shrimp, salt to taste.... on rice....cracked pepper on top. I could see the problem with not using Rock Shrimp. If you thought about it, you probably could fix the recipe.

I am not really big on Rock Shrimp just because they are too sweet. I almost never see them in the store either. I could see a recipe that was designed for them though.
Old 17th September 2011, 08:06   #919
psyfive
Forum King

I went to IHOP and had the stuffed french toast with cinnamon apple slices and eggs, bacon, and hash browns and a cup of black coffee.

I eat at the international house of pancakes, truly I am a man of the world.
psyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 21:46   #920
fc*uk

Threw some short ribs in the slow cooker.

Chinese braised short ribs eta: 2.75 hours.
Time before I start gnawing on my arm: 0.1 seconds

This smells good!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions