Old 8th July 2015, 21:00   #961
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetWalker View Post
What's the date of the last WinAmp release?
mid-to-late 2003 as based on your spelling of things, you should be trying to find / use a 2.9x release as that's what has the product name with a capital 'A'.

musicf8 has answered your other question (though the patched version is from November 2014).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2015, 05:22   #962
StreetWalker

DrO, I am using WINAMP (lol) V5.666 Build 3512 (x86) - Nov 26, 2013.
The question I asked was: what is the latest version? You obviously do not know DrO because you are more interested in parsing my words than addressing my very specific questions.
StreetWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2015, 05:26   #963
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
The question I asked was: what is the latest version?
Check out DrO's signature, or just go to the pinned topic that has the current version
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=373755

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Current status of Winamp: (Winamp 5.8) is not an ongoing project get wacup

5.8 beta issue quick fix - Install 5.666 (there's no further 5.8 releases)
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2015, 09:01   #964
djpete
Major Dude

I agree DrO wouldn't know anything at all about Winamp. What a silly name too DrO haha..

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:-)

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2015, 10:04   #965
mynameisGoodenou

Hey leave DrO alone ! He answers all my questions about the long lost discovery feature, even when I repeat myself
mynameisGoodenou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2015, 11:46   #966
djpete
Major Dude

DrO IS Winamp. There isn't much he doesn't know about the product.
He was also being sarcastic as I was.
WinAmp hasn't been used as the name for many years.
At least try to get the name correct..Winamp

And please take 5 mins to look around before you ask questions that have been answered 100's of times.
The download area is here with all the latest versions
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=374929

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 9th July 2015, 13:22   #967
DrO

Quote:
DrO, I am using WINAMP (lol) V5.666 Build 3512 (x86) - Nov 26, 2013.
The question I asked was: what is the latest version? You obviously do not know DrO because you are more interested in parsing my words than addressing my very specific questions.
the first post in this thread, the download link on the main site, my signature, my patched build and the replies you've received from other users clearly point you at where and how to get the current version and to check what the current version is (which you are not using for the record).

I was trying to be light-hearted for those who pay attention to the finer details (i.e. those who I'd hope have a bit of knowledge about Winamp over the years) and how it's naming has changed. hence the reply you got (even though I've clearly noted that musicf8's also answers the question which you appear to have skimmed over). so technically all of the responses have been correct and answer your question (despite being noted in the first post of this thread).

oh well, I try and have a giggle over something and it's just not taken that way *shrugs*
Old 9th July 2015, 14:58   #968
StreetWalker

Thanks DrO for your assistance. Sorry that I misunderstood that you were being light-hearted. I'm not an expert in WinAmp but I have been using it since the 90's. WinAmp is important to me because I'm a vocalist and I use it everyday to play backing tracks. So I love WinAmp and have been worried about the future of the program and it's compatibility with my PaceMaker and MP3+G plug-in's. I hope you can let me know more about that as you are the expert here. Thanks, Steve
Old 9th July 2015, 19:14   #969
DrO

afaik they should still work with the current release and if they aren't, then you have to get their respective authors to fix things (as it's the plug-ins that generally have to maintain compatibility). i have no idea of what will / will not happen with future Winamp releases (my knowledge is only as good as the last version I was involved with).
Old 9th July 2015, 19:45   #970
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
i have no idea of what will / will not happen with future Winamp releases (my knowledge is only as good as the last version I was involved with).
Ummmmmm you are not involved in the next winamp release?
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2015, 02:33   #971
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
Juanus - your picking details out of a reply ... It matters little with whom will have contribution towards the release of Winamp vNext. Ultimately, DrO is and always will be Winamp here and now for us in the states.

I imagine there is much happening that includes many levels of details that are beyond the scope of a forum post or warrant a reply to any one individual when their likely is still a mass of tangled negotiables.

Winamp will come back...it will be good and I believe strongly DrO will have his input; I'd like a crack at designing something for it...but, I suck as skinning/theming.

1001skins |
That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk. - Mr. Jones
garetjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2015, 03:17   #972
StreetWalker

I am using Winamp V5.666 Build 3512 (x86) - Nov 26, 2013 and it works fine for me on Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 on my Surface Pro 3.
Does anyone know the date when the next Winamp is to be released?
Old 11th July 2015, 03:41   #973
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Does anyone know the date when the next Winamp is to be released?
no

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 11th July 2015, 03:48   #974
StreetWalker

ok thanks! best of luck to whomever is working on it for several years now...LOL
Old 11th July 2015, 09:10   #975
DKsDEVIL

I just love winamp used fore very loong time
every time I try to use another I always come back to winamp
it just work
winamp and the plugin audiostocker
then all is good.

PS: I run Winamp version 5.08e: from February 2005
and it even works in win10.
DKsDEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2015, 10:44   #976
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by garetjax View Post
Winamp will come back...it will be good and I believe strongly DrO will have his input.....
That may be true, but it may be merely wishful thinking. Nothing lasts forever.
Without any communication from Radionomy, with DrO's puzzling comments, and with the passage of time, another release of Winamp becomes more unlikely.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2015, 13:22   #977
StreetWalker

Thank God my Winamp V5.666 Build 3512 (x86) - Nov 26, 2013 is working with Windows 8.1 and good to hear ryerman confirms upcoming Windows 10 works.

I was hoping a new release of Winamp would come with improvementss to the media library in two ways:
1. Playlists that have the normal columns as in the Local Library view.
2. Playlists with collapsible sub-folders same as in Windows Explorer.
Old 13th July 2015, 09:55   #978
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryerman View Post
That may be true, but it may be merely wishful thinking. Nothing lasts forever.
Without any communication from Radionomy, with DrO's puzzling comments, and with the passage of time, another release of Winamp becomes more unlikely.
but doesn't it seem bizarre, if you're right, that the forum remains? & that radionomy would buy it [winamp] and not put out at least one version of it with their brand on it? esp since it sounded like DrO had done most of what was needed to remove and replace AOL / gracenote / etc components?

I really think this whole thing has been badly handled by radionomy, to the point where I question if any of them have any brains at all, or understanding of the commodity they now own; and yet I still think we will eventually get a new ver of winamp, a radionomy branded one, ...eventually. as to when, its anyone's guess. the arrival of win10 this month would give them a great opportunity to do it.

I really do hope it happens though, b/c from what I could tell DrO had put a lot of good work towards a "next" version.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 11:29   #979
ampshout

Win10 compat - broken on 10166

HI Guys

It was all clear sailing with Winamp 5.6 up untill I installed the latest build of Windows 10.

I keep getting direct output errors and a frozen app window.

Oh well it was nice while it lasted: +- 15 years.

Just tried out Clementine it seems alright enough for now till Winamp releases a new version (wishfull thinking? :P )
ampshout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 11:43   #980
DrO

then maybe you should provide the error details that are being reported in the thread you've already got about it... http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=381520 as those error codes can allow anyone else to try to look-up what the error code means and then use that to determine the cause (not that anyone else so far on these forums appears to be having issues with the Win 10 betas).

or you can switch to a different output plug-in or do what (ironically) you chided me for saying (but never clarified _what_ post of mine you were referring to) and just use something else if that's your desire.
Old 14th July 2015, 11:06   #981
ampshout

I'm going to follow up on that thread you mentioned.

FYI I have tried just about every other player and this new clementime player and I still find Winamp is my favorite by far and it has specific features I need.

So... its back to old school Winamp for me!

Thanks for the suggestions DrO.

Last edited by ampshout; 14th July 2015 at 11:07. Reason: cleanup writing style
ampshout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 15:24   #982
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanus View Post
Ummmmmm you are not involved in the next winamp release?
Quote:
Originally Posted by garetjax View Post
Juanus - your picking details out of a reply ... It matters little with whom will have contribution towards the release of Winamp vNext. Ultimately, DrO is and always will be Winamp here and now for us in the states.

I imagine there is much happening that includes many levels of details that are beyond the scope of a forum post or warrant a reply to any one individual when their likely is still a mass of tangled negotiables.

Winamp will come back...it will be good and I believe strongly DrO will have his input; I'd like a crack at designing something for it...but, I suck as skinning/theming.
Actually it was a really simple question. But it's obvious that you felt the need to flex your muscles and go on a rant. So congrats to you.
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 16:07   #983
StreetWalker

I had a short visit at https://www.radionomy.com/ and here is the "about":

"Represented in the Radionomy Group of companies are Radionomy, SHOUTcast, TargetSpot, Hotmixradio, and Winamp. Radionomy Group has a global footprint with operations in the United States, France, Spain and Germany."

They have a download Winamp link to http://www.radionomygroup.com/en/companies/winamp/ that takes you to the Winamp forum DJ Egg post http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=374929 dated 29th January 2014, 11:51.

I see no evidence on the Radionomygroup website indicating any progress completed on Winamp. I have seen no reachout from the Radionomygroup to the thousands of Winamp users to communicate their intent going forward.

So what has Radionomygroup actually done with Winamp since acquiring it from AOL?

It appears that Radionomy Group's main interest is LIMITED to claiming the thousands of Winamp users and directing them to their online radio industry.

In total contrast to that, I believe that we longtime Winamp users care more about the future of the Winamp mp3 player and the awesome plugins.
Old 14th July 2015, 16:26   #984
StreetWalker

It appears the last thing the Radionomy Group has done was:
"Radionomy acquires Winamp and SHOUTcast from AOL winamp" as per their timeline at http://www.radionomygroup.com/en/about-us/#

I see no evidence of Winamp software development and pending software releases on Radionomy's timeline.
Old 16th July 2015, 00:46   #985
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
I see no evidence of Winamp software development and pending software releases on Radionomy's timeline.
Pretty much, we have been in the dark about it all.. but i'm just taking each day as it comes. Winamp works, that's all that matters.

Do I want to see Winamp constantly be improved on? of course, but eh, it works now and I doubt it will fail on me any time soon, maybe when 32-bit programs get the boot.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 16th July 2015, 01:16   #986
DrO

first few things off the top of my head...(this is tongue-in-cheek)
  • they've maintained the forum so people can comment / complain about things as much as they want
  • they've kept the desktop plug-in API super-stable and not broken any 3rd party plug-ins as updates to Winamp always does (which should be a bonus for all of the 'save Winamp' developers who were going to invigourate skin / plug-in development...)
  • they've not interfered with the community so they [the community] can just keep doing what they want to do with Winamp be it creating skins / plug-ins or just doing nothing at all
Old 16th July 2015, 01:22   #987
djpete
Major Dude

Radionomy communication = zero.
Off to a flying start ONE YEAR AND A HALF later.
There are no excuses.

As every day passes my respect for the company just goes down and down.
And if they can't see what they are doing to fans out there then they are just completely blind.

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 16th July 2015, 01:28   #988
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpete View Post
As every day passes my respect for the company just goes down and down
bruh, 2015 is the year of the llama

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 16th July 2015, 01:36   #989
DrO

it's only Winamp so why should it matter... as the SHOUTcast press releases are far more interesting
Old 16th July 2015, 02:33   #990
StreetWalker

DrO, please let us know what software development and software releases support the 3 bullet items that you listed here. Thanks.
Old 16th July 2015, 02:46   #991
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
...they've not interfered with the community so they [the community] can just keep doing what they want to do with Winamp be it creating skins / plug-ins or just doing nothing at all
[sorry Darren, I have to disagree with you on this one..]
Actually.. By removing the ability to upload new skins and plug-ins (be it by not "updating" the old Web or even clarifying what will happen with it..) they are pretty much killing the last bit of will any skinner or coder could have had.
I know there weren't so many, but for the skinning side the old Winamp.com actually made a big difference in downloads / reaching compared to alternatives (DeviantArt, 1001, etc). And the plug-ins aspect was directly forced to be headed to the forums.. which most Winamp users don't want to use / see it deprecated..

I understand why the interest is clearly on SHOUTcast , but it is worrying seeing so little done with Winamp (and I'm not even talking about development!)

PS / EDIT ; I forgot the tongue-in-cheek meaning, I've searched now.. My POV still stands though haha
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 03:10   #992
DrO

my reply was tongue-in-check... so nothing fits that pattern of development (and is why I clearly stated what that reply was meant as - since blinky sarcasm lights are not an option on this forum).

on a serious note, i'm more than aware of people's view points that why should they work on things (skins / plug-ins) if there's no apparent active development of the client software.

though the counter argument is that if people want updates / new features so badly then the design of Winamp as-is more than allows for them to re-create / implement the means needed. it was hammered home that there were 100s of developers wanting to do things and i've seen nothing of it - why? because all of the ones I could tell only did webdev and that is not what is wanted for most of the client development for the desktop client that could be done.

the thing with the old Winamp site comes down to the old AOL site being a complete mess to the point that it could never have just been transferred and with so many broken plug-ins (less of an issue with the skins), you'd be looking at a whole new site and re-validation of _all_ plug-ins just to work out what is 'good' or what is not, etc. not that it matters with the archive sites that popped up and just blindly provide those plug-ins irrespective of working ok or not.

either way, I wouldn't expect any press releases, etc until there is something to actually use (irrespective of what people think about that matter) and that's all I know re:Winamp.
Old 20th July 2015, 15:27   #993
batray17

Radionomy Killed Winamp

It's great that we still have a means to download Winamp but lets face it, it's been more than a year since Radionomy took over and still we have no no Winamp web site. I thought it was bad when AOL took over... but this is just ridiculous!!
batray17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2015, 15:48   #994
GorillaCat

I wouldn't say its dead. Just in a really long coma. Maybe they're looking for alternatives to Moodagent since it was acquired by Universal Media Group and exfm which was acquired by Rhapsody; although they're not really essential services for Winamp and alternatives may never be found (Radionomy may be creating alternatives to these and other services for an All Radionomy Winamp, just speculating). OR they're looking for new ways to whip the lamas ass.

Last edited by GorillaCat; 20th July 2015 at 17:58.
GorillaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2015, 18:31   #995
StreetWalker

We see absolutely no activity from Radionomy concerning Winamp.
The day will come when Winamp fails to work altogether in Windows 10 or whatever.
Old 20th July 2015, 18:46   #996
GorillaCat

No one sees the activity going on inside a beehive just bees flying in and out and the hive getting bigger, but when you open it there's honey inside and bees lots n lots of bees. Companies keep secrets so I'm not surprised, we'll probably stay sitting and waiting until Winamp stops working altogether. Let's just hope it doesn't end up like Krispy Kreme Doughnuts in Connecticut literally shutting down overnight without a single word to anyone, not even the employees.
Old 20th July 2015, 18:52   #997
StreetWalker

Successful companies communicate with their customers else they will eventually permanently lose those customers to their competitors.
Old 20th July 2015, 19:35   #998
GorillaCat

So people would stop using a program that does the job because it's future is uncertain? Pontiac (junky towards the end), Oldsmobile (junky towards the end) and Saturn (steaming pile) are long gone yet people still drive their cars. If people care enough about something or it works for them without issue they'll stay, Radionomy might be betting on that in this transition/evaluation phase Winamp is going through; or their still trying to figure out how to keep Winamp funded during and after development.
Old 20th July 2015, 19:55   #999
StreetWalker

It's true that you can find a automobile repairman for classic cars and even junk cars.
Your analogy goes wrong GorillaCat because you cannot find an operating system repairman or software driver repairman in the yellow pages. LOL
Old 20th July 2015, 19:58   #1000
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
It's true that you can find a automobile repairman for classic cars and even junk cars.
Your analogy goes wrong GorillaCat because you cannot fine an operating system or software driver repairman in the yellow pages. LOL
no, but you can find people on the internet to hack drivers into workable conditions Many do for video and sound cards.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion