Old 23rd January 2002, 22:31   #1
Rovastar

Send a message via AIM to Rovastar
Unhappy :(

Why I hear you cry!!

Well there are a load of people downloading MilkDrop (about 4,000 a day from Winamp.com) and since Ryan has linked to my website www.milkdrop.co.uk I am getting about 50-100 hits a day downloading all the presets (no doubt a useful service) these forums are not growing in regular members.

Although the regulars are valued members (you all know who you are - no need to name names) to the forums what about all the rest of the veiwers of our hard worked presets (ok maybe that is a bit strong )

Come on people lets see those one time preset writers return. There have been about 15 people who have posted once and have disappeared into the abyss. We honestly like most of the work posted here! Come on we are not that bad are we?

Honestly it gones me and others a lot of inspiration for doing the mods of them. Surely the greatest form of flattery.

And some comments won't go amiss would they? Come on does anyone out there really like my Basic Electronica preset? Surely not

(Exam question: Please Discuss the merits/ pitfalls of this preset)

One of Unchained last presets the class 'Cranked on failure' is about the best with the reponse ratio 80 downloads (not included the ones from my site) to 4-5 comments.

Come people please respond are we doing all these presets for nothing? We haven't got a great following like the AVS boys have - we need all the support that we can get.

Rovastar

"Rules are for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of fools"

Visuals - Morphyre www.Morphyre.com
Rovastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2002, 23:21   #2
StudioMusic
Major Dude

I wonder if any of these downloaders are females, it seems that everyone involved with MD is a male. Still waiting for the first female to post a preset here. SM
StudioMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2002, 23:59   #3
Rovastar

That may make me happy

Old 24th January 2002, 16:10   #4
Krash
Major Dude

I feel your pain.

Plus, I'd also like an ego boost every now and then =]

It grates with me that AVS has such a massive following, and milkdrop doesn't. I've never seen what was so good about AVS, really. A vast majority of the presets are very boring, and almost all of them can be duplicated in milkdrop (with the exception of multiple wave forms and custom colour blending). Plus, the whole thing runs so SLOW. Having a vis window taking up a quarter of the screen or less seems like a waste of time to me.

On the Milkdrop side, we get fast load time, blending between presets, a couple features AVS doesn't have (borders comes quickly to mind), and above all, SPEED. That factor alone should make AVS a non-contender.

Oh well.

- Krash
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2002, 13:40   #5
Illusion

You have raised a number of interesting points Rovastar.

Firstly, on my latest visit to the Winamp site, there have been 779,000 people who have downloaded MilkDrop from the Winamp website (not including probably at least that many who have got MilkDrop by some other means - I have installed MD on about 6 of my friends computers). So, conservatively, there are 1.5 million people who would have MilkDrop. And, as you mentioned, there are 4000 or so people who download it each day.

And out of these million people, we have maybe 500 people who have actually bothered to even get any extra preset on top of what MD originally comes with (which I believe is about 150). Considering that there are over 700 more out there, there's definitely a *lot* of other stuff that people have tried to make. Yet, either people don't know about the fact that they can get extra presets, or they don't care.

Now I can't speak for anyone else, but the first time I saw MD I couldn't believe how good it was, and how smoothly it ran relative to other plugins (AVS etc.) When I found out that a) you could get even more presets, and b) it was possible to make your own presets, I was really excited, thinking there was potential for thousands of presets to be coming out, considering the popularity of Geiss, and that people would be really into creating a lot of stuff. While the user-made presets are approaching 1000 (well, about 600), it's still nowhere near what I think the potential for preset making could be.

Now to your next point, Rova, that "these forums are not growing in regular members". While I'm not too worried about people actually making comments on my presets (although I would appreciate it), I can't believe that for some of the effort that has been put in, that maybe only a few hundred people get to see all the hard work people put in.

I mean, my last presets have had only <i>15</i> or so downloads, and even some of the presets from unchained (who would have to have had some of the best presets on here) have had 30 or 40 people. Even accounting for the fact that people can get them through your site Rova, I would like to see that even 10% of people who have the program have at least seen what I or any other preset writer can do. It would be lucky to be even 1% now.

Now, my next point.... with pretty much all the presets, I am pretty critical of pretty much anything, including my own work. This means that despite the fact that there are 790 presets, I have only 150 in my folder, meaning that I keep basically 1 in 5 presets. There are maybe another 50 which I don't keep because I have a computer which is not overly fast (ie. it can't handle some of unchained's more complicated per-pixel code without killing the framerate, and some presets don't look good in 16-bit colour).

Even so, I would still only keep 1/4 of what I could have on my computer, because, to be perfectly honest, some of them don't look that impressive. Not to have a go at any preset writers, but sometimes I can go through 10 presets here without seeing anything that really impresses me. This isn't a criticism, more that it is very difficult to come up with something original and that looks good. In fact, some of the best presets (and the most original) have been user-made.

However, this can be a problem. For example, Rovastar, once I think you posted 2 awesome presets, and the next day, unchained posted 2 of his best ones ever. Now, when I see some really good, original work, I often will post a comment saying that preset x was really good. So here's the problem.. what about the ones that I don't like... Do I say when I saw these two that "these presets were great", then next time you post say "All your presets were really poor, they weren't beat-reactive, and I didn't keep any of them because they all sucked"? I know I would feel discouraged if people kept bagging what I had spent hours often, even if they were right about it. Often if I don't post a comment, it's because I didn't keep them because I didn't like them. Sometimes, even if I did like them, typing "that one looked good, nice work" gets repetive after saying it 30 times. So maybe that's why you get very few comments on some - a) people can't be bothered to say it was good, or b) they don't want to discourage people by saying they looked bad.

If you want, I am happy to post my opinion on every preset, but if I do post my opinion on each one, it's not always going to be that they were all good. I just don't want to discourage the people you were talking about Rova (the 15 one-time preset writers) by bagging their attempts, knowing how long it takes to get the hang of.

Another thing is that making presets is a lot harder than you might think. Even with some programming background from Comp Sci at university, I still was a little apprehensive about trying to make my own presets, and it took me a while to really get into it. So I doubt that there's going to be a lot of new preset-writers, at least in the near future. This is a bit of a problem though, because out of the 1.5 million people who have MD, there are essentially 7 people who have posted more than once - Unchained, Rovastar, Krash, StudioMusic, bmelgren, Zylot and myself. If you don't believe this, just have a look at the preset forum, and there have only been 2 other people (Jaiph and CrystalHigh) who have posted presets in the past 3 weeks. If it wasn't for the seven of us (and especially Unchained, Rovastar and Krash) there would basically be nothing for people to get. So, even if people don't want to become regular preset writers, at least show that you appreciate what we do by showing that out presets have actually been downloaded by a few hundred people, rather than 20 or 30.

Krash's summary gives a pretty succinct summary of why MD beats AVS (plus other reasons such as the very cool 3D mode, customisation of titles / fonts and more), so there's no reason for MD not to be more popular, as it has the most important thing, as Krash mentioned - SPEED. Who cares if it looks good if it can only run at 400 x 300 at fps? MD beats in hands-down in almost all respects apart from the general "line" style of the majority of presets, which is essentially why it runs faster anyway.

Well, there's my 2 cents (and a bit more) ,if you're still reading I commend you for your stamina.... I hope it all made sense, it is getting kinda late as I was typing....

Now, let's see some replies to this thread (from anyone!) and get MD a bit of support!

Old 25th January 2002, 16:17   #6
Jessail

Send a message via ICQ to Jessail
..well.. I understand every post in this thread and I share your pain Rovastar.
What I want to say is that I am most thankful to all the preset writers. I do not have time to write a preset.. it would take some time to understand the rest of the code (I know the basic things already), like the complex per-pixel (frame) part in Unchaineds presets.
Some day I will find time to write my own presets.. just wait and see.

We have to make sure that every people we know get Milkdrop. I installed Milkdrop on many of my friends computer, I arrange partys where Milkdrop is running, advertising for Milkdrop on my homepage (ok, weak point) and I tell everyone I know about Milkdrop.

So, I am not writing presets yet, but I do my part for Milkdrop.
Long live Milkdrop, I love Milkdrop!

Bye,
Starfire

Last edited by Jessail; 25th January 2002 at 16:33.
Jessail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2002, 06:08   #7
unchained
Major Dude

Send a message via Yahoo to unchained
What? You people are all silly. Since I started writing Milkdrop presets, the women MOB me every time I go outside, my bank account is always full, and it never rains where I trod.

Well, ok, most people that see it just go "Wow, pretty colors." You have to have worked with the program, or know at least a little bit about sound processing or graphics processing to appreciate the effort and skill that goes into making something like a really good preset, let-alone a program like Milkdrop/Winamp itself.

I'd love to see milkdrop get just a little bit more community support, but considering how things seem to be tying more and more into 'windows media' features, Winamp users in general are becoming more of a fringe group.

We've got a wee bit of a cult following here, and I've got a few odd scattered fans. Life's good.
unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2002, 22:52   #8
Jaiph

I haven't made any more presets because a) lack time and b) know bugger all about the maths behind all this....... might make a few more, but sloooowly

Anyways, keep up the good work people - those who don't download custom presets are missing out. You might consider doing a bit of advertising on sites/newsgroups where you think people who might be interested in the presets would visit frequently. Make people more aware of this community.
Jaiph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2002, 18:26   #9
Rovastar

Wow what a lot of comments.

Illusion,

The point I was trying to make comments is not that you are not commenting on them. You are one of the regualar members. I don't comment on that many unless as you say it is really good. But I do try and comment on the new peoples presets. In fact they get the most comments generally.

I was refereing to the unseen strangers that download the presets.

But there seems to be a lack of interest to even post comments something i would have thought that comes before before posting new presets. The first step.

----

I am comparing your veiws to the AVS community where there are loads of people posting presets.

I think we need a link on forums homepage. As it is a Nullsoft product. That will get the most hits me thinks.

Since my site link is on ryans homepage word is getting around. i.e. more people are aware of what MD is really about and what it can do.

BUt no more coments.

In fact I only put my email address on my homepage a week or so ago and a couple of people have emailed me thinking that I have written MD it seems.
lol

like:
What a fantastic vis MilkDrop is keep up the good work, etc.

Or I have a problem with Md and these drivers,etc.

Comments like these should be directed to the forums so everyone can share.

Someone today someone emailed me a load of suggestions. Maybe he does not know the forums exist?? I will put links on my home page.
----

Krash,

This wasn't intended to start a 'flame war' with those AVS people. It was that people are loooking and not inputing. The odd comment is good obviously. AVS can do, in my option, more than MilkDrop but AVS is old skool now (2d technology only) and is slow, as we know.

My approach is to convert the AVS writers to MD. Not to alienate them.

--------

Unchained,

I don't think we are a 'fringe group' the amount of download has already told us that!! If 1% of everone that download MD made a mod or presets that would be huge! 8,000 a least back log and 40 presets a day!!!

----------

OK I think I covered it all.Phew.

Rovastar

Old 28th January 2002, 18:49   #10
unchained
Major Dude

I have nothing to say, I just saw my name mentioned and thought I'd bump the thread.
Old 28th January 2002, 18:54   #11
Rovastar

ditto.

Bumped.....again

Old 29th January 2002, 00:43   #12
Illusion

Hello again... and don't worry, this message won't be as long as my last one... man, did I go on for ages or what

Rovastar:

Yeah, I know you weren't having a go at me, I think you would make a good moderator, you're always very careful to make sure no-one is offended by anything

As for the "unseen strangers", I believe that there may not be as many of these as you think. Given that there are 7 or 8 frequent posters of presets, and many presets have only got 30 - 50 downloads, there really aren't a lot of others out there. I know I myself have even downloaded some 2 or 3 times, sometimes due to the fact I have tried it at uni, then d/l it again at home, and then I lost them all cause my computer crashed recently. But from now on, I will try to post comments on any new ones. But I would have to agree that it is a little disappointing that new people aren't even bothering to say what they think... but I guess this will come as more people know about the program.

I also think that it would help to have a MD link on the forums page, otherwise it is not obvious that there are any forums at all, unless you go to the official MD page, which I doubt the majority of users would. But it is great that Ryan has put links to your page, I'm sure more people will come in time. But, hey, it looks like people think you made it anyway.... I wouldn't be complaining...

I think it would also be a good idea to post links to the forums on your homepage. Also, if you like I would be happy to help you with editing the homepage for MD. No obligation, but if you're interested, just drop me a line at phidj003@students.unisa.edu.au. I have basically nothing to do for a month until uni starts (man, uni is so slack ), so I would be more than happy to help if you wanted.

Anyhow.... keep the presets and comments coming!

P.S. What does bumping a thread mean?
Old 29th January 2002, 01:16   #13
Rovastar

I emailed Ryan about www.milkdrop.co.uk he didn't even know it existed at the time. It was going for about a month or so and on my sig.

But I imagine people will download individual presets even less now I have my page as they just will download all of them every month or something.

Bumping:- Adding a comment to a thread and thus putting it back up to the top of the pile. So it is always seen first. Normally initial bumping doesn't have a totally relevant comment just to remind people that the thread is still there.

The thread will now be bumped back to the top.

Old 29th January 2002, 08:41   #14
geiss
Nullsoft Visualization Developer

1.02 beta 1

You guys rock. I can not say how much I love all of your presets. They blow me away. You guys have done exactly what I hoped for: things I never (even remotely) thought of. The more I look at the presets at co.milkdrop.uk, the more I realize how *amazingly* great they are.

So, I was a bit (well, very) moved, and put another (secret) project on hold for a day or so to do a long-overdue MilkDrop update. Here's a beta:

http://www.geisswerks.com/vis_milk.dll
and
http://www.geisswerks.com/milk_msg.ini

Here's the 'what's new' list:

-added CUSTOM MESSAGES - you can edit them in the file MILK_MSG.INI in your WINAMP\PLUGINS directory. They are displayed by either keying in their 2-digit numerical code ('##') at runtime, or randomly if you choose this option from the config panel (see the 'More Options' dialog).

-also added RANDOMIZATION FOR SONG TITLE ANIMATIONS (also see the 'More Options' dialog from the config panel).

-added INSTANT HARD CUT HOTKEY: 'H'

-for preset authors:
-per_frame and per_pixel code use to get cut off if they didn't fit on the screen; this is now fixed (flips to next page as needed)
-when editing per-frame/per-pixel equations, the line that the cursor is on is now highlighted!

-improved 3D mode:
-drastically improved quality of stereo 3D images by changing default 3d colors to CYAN (full green + blue; was just full blue) for the left eye and RED for the right eye. It turns out that this provides an equivalent 3d image, but gives you the full range of colors for all presets, which in turn probably makes the 3Dness more
visible to your brain anyway.

-song titles:
-(added randomization, as mentioned above)
-improved max. resolution of song titles by increasing the max.
allowable GDI font size
-fixed longstanding bug with the "burning in" of song titles after they're done displaying; the old, floating location wouldn't exactly match where the title would be burned into the background & melt away.

-timing & animation:
-protected against milkdrop's animation running super-fast because the clock jumped way ahead when no frames were rendered (i.e. milkdrop got stalled somehow).
-smoothed the animation by assuming the time for each frame to be 80% of 1/fps and 20% the actual time reported.

-misc:
-converted ANSI_CHARSET to DEFAULT_CHARSET in CreateFont() calls
(should fix some display of funky/foreign character sets)

I'll also add a spectral waveform (or a few), the motion vector per-frame params + alpha, and crank up the max. # of user variables before the release. Just thought I'd let you guys have a preview and see what you thought a little in advance.

ok, rock on & on.
caio,
geiss
geiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2002, 09:59   #15
Jessail

Send a message via ICQ to Jessail
Re: 1.02 beta 1

Wow.. Geiss, you just saved my day... my life actually

Thx for your work and effort.
Jessail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2002, 10:46   #16
Krash
Major Dude

Wow... Ryan... cool... =]

I've been playing with the messaging system - very nice, and definitely very cool. A couple comments and wish-lists, considering it's still in beta.

- using the keypad doesn't always work. Specifically, the 2 button. When Numlock is on, 2 on the keypad goes to the next track, and when numlock's off, it reduces the volume.

- Any chance of adding a line-break character? Word wrap is difficult because the font size is so variable, but linebreak should be doable.

- Similar to above - for the title anims, it would be really nice if they had a word-wrap feature. Might be difficult to pull off.

- break up the time value of the messages into 'time in' and 'time stay' (or something similar). Have the scale happen during 'time in', and then we have a time during which the message stays on screen before being burnt into the background. If you don't want the text to stay, you could set 'time stay' to -1 or something.

- possibly randomising the colour of the message (set r, g and/or b to -1?)

That's about as much as I can think of right now. Great work. It's always great to hear from you over here =]

- Krash
Old 29th January 2002, 10:56   #17
Krash
Major Dude

Just found another bug with the custom messages:

'Burn In' is correct if the message is in the middle of the screen, but is wrong if the message is near the outside. The text burns in further away from the center than it should.

Oh, and if you change any of your presets for the next release, could you let us know? It's frustrating when they change all the time =]

for example, Galaxy used to look pretty much like a galaxy, whereas it doesn't anymore. And I swear the warp values on galaxy 2 have been changing over the last 6 months =]

One more thought - how about including some newer presets in the next release? Maybe even updating the milkdrop screenshot page to show some of the newer stuff.

- Krash

Last edited by Krash; 29th January 2002 at 12:42.
Old 29th January 2002, 15:29   #18
Rovastar

Great - just what the doctor ordered.

Just in time my first VJ set in 1 and half weeks now.

What about the option of having a picture/logo option instead of text - jpg's and the like. That would be brillant.

Hot cut key??

This key doesn't work as I though it would. It just does a quick change of the preset no matter what the music is doing.

I was expecting it to 'enter hot cut mode' i.e. press the key and when the volume reaches the threshold level THEN hot cut.

I know it is not really releted but you have the foriegn char set. But still the preset names with '&' are still displaying '_'.

What is be possible for a randon option for the title anim/anim text to offset a little the possioning of the text. Like your first plug-in 'Geiss' (remember that) when pressing space displayed the song title in a different place every time.

Also hot cut text anim display. Instead of 01 etc straight away displaying the text it does it on the next beat. That would look good me thinks.

Ok that's it don't want to scare you off I keep re-editting this post and adding to it.

Thanks Ryan.

Rovastar

Note: Umm this thread is called 'Unhappy' now seems an ironic title.

Old 29th January 2002, 21:02   #19
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Ryan this is great the new features and all. H Key does just what it is suppose to, but would rather have a key to play the presets in alphabetical order instead, or maybe both if possible. I am not sure if this is a bug or not, but video echo: scale seems to get set to 1.00 if it is not at 1 when you hit F9 key, a good example would be one of my presets called take your pick. Also not sure about this either but when editing inper_frame and per_pixel code some of the long code needs a word rap if set to a smaller resolution, but you now can scroll down through all the code if it is long say like in one of unchained's or a mod of mine of one of his. Krash, I have a question for you, I can't seem to get the problem you are talking about with the 2 key, could you please explain what you mean? and remember I am on a laptop and only have one set of numbers, if you are referring to the number pad on the right of the keyboard mine is none existent unless I hook an external keyboard. Hopes this all makes sinse and if not, just ask and I will explain in better detail. SM
Old 29th January 2002, 21:49   #20
Rovastar

SM,

F9 is the 3d stereo mode and which will use the Video scho funcationality. So all the video echo stuff is turned off when the 3d mode is on. Scale to 1 and Orientation to 0 also.

Krash is talking about the num keypad stuff it doesn't work properly.

Rovastar

Old 30th January 2002, 06:33   #21
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Ok, to correct my last post, the only problem I see is in editing per frame and per pixel it needs word wrap or something, in small resolutions it is off the screen if it is a long code like some of Unchaind's presets in particular, yes you did fix the bottom where it ended but now you need to fix the right side. I will mention one more time if you can an alphabetical order to play presets would be nice just for the folder selected or something. Well that is all I can think of for now except what Rovastar and Krash already mentioned. Can not wait for the final version. I love this plugin Ryan, great work. Studio Music.
Old 30th January 2002, 08:52   #22
Krash
Major Dude

Ummm... it *does* word wrap the per_pixel and per_frame stuff. If it doesn't, it's because there aren't enough scapes in the line to break it up. put spaces around commas, or brackets, or whatever, and it should word-wrap autmatically.

- Krash
Old 30th January 2002, 11:01   #23
Rovastar

rYAN WROTE:

'and crank up the max. # of user variables before the release. '

so a feature just for you then Unchained. Do you feel special because of that

Old 30th January 2002, 17:17   #24
StudioMusic
Major Dude

It may word wrap with spaces, but it should word wrap without them too. I may be wrong, but set milkdrop to 800 by 600 or better yet 600 by 480 and check some long lined presets. Other software wordwraps without spaces so I think MD could too. It is not that big of a deal to me anyway, I mostly use ultra edit to edit which word wraps if you set it to, but it is just something to make MD more efficent when editing threw the M key. Not that many people are going to watch MD with 600 by 480 anyway but just so it all works nicely. I think it should be a very simple fix. SM
Old 30th January 2002, 20:40   #25
unchained
Major Dude

Just HAD to get your licks in on me while you could, huh?

I thought I'd been doing pretty good with the variables lately, since I quit using them completely in the per_pixel code. I even manage to leave one or two for SM to define but not make any use of when he does a mod.
Old 31st January 2002, 00:23   #26
unchained
Major Dude

Bumpage

Also, here's a somewhat new mod of my engine. I don't think I can make it much faster, sorry for those with slow machines. If it's too twitchy, change (chaos/entropy) to (0.05) or so in the per_frame line where I define the pulse variable. It works pretty good as-is for most breaks though.
Attached Files
File Type: zip unchained - government warning.zip (1.3 KB, 185 views)
Old 31st January 2002, 01:59   #27
Rovastar

Nice Uncahined it seems pretty good.

It's a winner.

Old 31st January 2002, 05:40   #28
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Unchained plenty fast and good on my end. SM
Old 31st January 2002, 22:50   #29
unchained
Major Dude

Really? It's jittery for me, but seems to work well on my friend's faster machine. I hate trying to code around hardware limitations like that, but I guess it's a fact of life.
Old 1st February 2002, 04:35   #30
StudioMusic
Major Dude

I really like this preset unchained this might sound a little off the wall but to me it has a little of cranked on failure feel to it. What are your pc specs again? When the 2.2 gigs processors go down in price I am thinking about getting a new desktop, probably in about 3 months or so. Already have a nice monitor to go with it, but I still love my little laptop. SM
Old 1st February 2002, 04:50   #31
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Actually I think this is my favorite all time preset of yours, the beat reaction is wonderful and it has so many possibility's. Fabulous job Unchained. SM
Old 1st February 2002, 16:20   #32
unchained
Major Dude

It's the "same" preset as Cranked on Failure, with a minor tweek to the beat detection (the chaos/entropy thing, maybe a few more i don't remember) and some changes to the waveform and alpha zoom.

I'm pretty sure I used the same code in the "Simple Critter" mod of Krash's work. It's nice per_frame code to use if you just want to play with per_pixel stuff and not worry about color-cycling. Just use q1-q5 wherever you would normally use something like sin(time) or sin(bass).
Old 1st February 2002, 19:01   #33
geiss
Nullsoft Visualization Developer

1.02 beta 2

here's MilkDrop 1.02 beta 2:

http://www.geisswerks.com/vis_milk.dll
http://www.geisswerks.com/milk_msg.ini (updated!)

There were a lot of feature requests and in order to get the release out, but since I only had a limited amount of time & I wanted to get you guys a new DLL before the weekend, here's what I could get to by this point...

Items added to the "what's new" list:

For preset authors:
-fixed an old bug where if the per-pixel or per-frame code had nothing in it except spaces & linefeeds, it would display an error message saying "error in per-{pixel|frame} code".
-added a bunch of per-frame variables to control the motion vectors: mv_x, mv_y, mv_r, mv_g, mv_b, mv_a. Also got rid of the motion vectors on/off setting; now the opacity controls this.
-cranked up max. # of user variables from 23 to 33. (Added 16 slots, but used 6 of them for motion vectors.)
-added a per-frame variable called 'monitor'. Set the value of this variable in the per-frame code, and then press 'N' to monitor (show) its value in the top-right corner of the screen. Should be very useful for debugging. (Thanks to Krash for the great suggestion on how to implement this!)

Misc:
-added 'R' key to toggle random vs. sequential order for loading
presets
-fixed alphanumeric sorting of presets (used to have minor errors such as putting "galaxy 2" before "galaxy", and so forth - strcmp() just wasn't good enough!)
-'&' characters in preset filenames no longer show up as an '_' character, although it still looks funny if you try to save one with an '&' already in it, but don't worry, it will preserve the '&' (even though it looks messed up). Note that you still can't type a *new* '&' into the filename when you go to save a preset.

The things I haven't done yet, but hope to before the final, are:

-fix a bug with transitions (try setting ib_r from the code in two presets, then switch between them; you'll see it doesn't blend properly.)
-fix the centering of the motion vectors?
-fix the burn-in off-centeredness when the text isn't in the center of the screen
-update the docs & preset authoring guide

I know there are a million other requests, but the truth is I don't have time to do them all yet; think version 1.03. For now, I tried to get the most useful ones in. =)

Have a great weekend y'all,
RG
geiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2002, 19:16   #34
Rovastar

Sweet I thought??

Motion vectors don't work at all. It puts some on the screen but even 64x48 I only get 5 or 6 display? Me confused. DO I need to post a screeenshot?

Hold lon when the orginal preset had the MV on they work ok.

I will look further.

BTW the version displays 1.02 beta 1 still.

Old 1st February 2002, 19:23   #35
Rovastar

Look at this zipo.

It is only happening on certain presets?

LOL on my 'blank' preset where I tried it first.

Open the zip and have a look at this. Try and get motions vectors?

This seems to be the only ones it happens too.

Is it just my machine?

The monitor thing is all ok from what I can see. Only monitor in per_frame it all makes sense.

Edited in bold
Attached Files
File Type: zip test.zip (1.1 KB, 163 views)

Last edited by Rovastar; 1st February 2002 at 19:44.
Old 1st February 2002, 20:07   #36
Rovastar

Sorry my fault.

It is just these presets.

Maybe I made the values too exactly zero so no motion at all in the presets.

Increasing the zoom or whatever a tad brings them all back. Phew.

Sorry again the panic is over. It does the same under MD 1.01.

Sorry

Rovastar

Old 1st February 2002, 20:23   #37
StudioMusic
Major Dude

I was going to say Rova that Motion vectors work fine and now you have more control - color and placement of where they are plus opacity great job Ryan. Also I want to thank you and give you my appreciation for adding my request for playing the presets in Alphabetical order (love you for that Ryan) and everything so far seems to work perfect, the only thing and it is no big deal (like Rova said) is it says beta 1 still, but that is nothing to complain about though. I love this pluging more and more every day. The best, Studio Music

Last edited by StudioMusic; 1st February 2002 at 21:13.
Old 1st February 2002, 21:59   #38
unchained
Major Dude

you EVIL bastards. now I have to some how come up with 4 more continuous values to spit out of the engine to cover vectors....looks like it'll be a late night for Unchained
Old 1st February 2002, 22:12   #39
unchained
Major Dude

Here's a rough first-pass just for people that want something to download.
Attached Files
File Type: zip unchained - cranked on vectors.zip (1.3 KB, 196 views)
Old 1st February 2002, 22:30   #40
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Good example of vectors unchained, I just learned a little from this preset. Now if I can just figure out how to use the N key I will be set? SM
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets