Old 25th November 2002, 11:57   #41
AloneInTheDark

I suggest these parts: Athlon Xp 2400+, 512 Mb Ram DDR333, mainboard Microstar with KT333 chipset, hdd 60 Gb Western Digital 8 mb buffer, Vga Geforce4 Mx460 64 mb DDR or Ati Radeon 9000 Pro 128 Mb DDR (the prices should be the same), Dvd reader Lg 16x48x, Cd writer Asus 52x24x52x (the new model) and cordless keyboard/mouse. The system should be quite cheap( i don't know prices in USD, but in italy is not so expensive) but powerful.
AloneInTheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2002, 13:23   #42
binary hero
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to binary hero
Quote:
Originally posted by MetallichicA
No, I already bought a monitor (check the link above). It's a 21" Trinitron. We went ahead and got a big one because that way it's easier for me to use Photoshop/ImageReady/Quark and look at the internet all at once.
i thought "i'll get a big monitor, so i can have photoshop one side, and irc on the other" or something...but i want more (21" hansol here)
binary hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2002, 20:12   #43
Nofx Guy
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nofx Guy
Quote:
Originally posted by AloneInTheDark
hdd 60 Gb Western Digital 8 mb buffer
i dont know why everyone keeps sudgesting these drives with the 8mb buffer.. an average user will definatly not need a drive with this big of buffer.. unless you are running a server then it is of no use whatsoever .. save yourself some cash and not bother with the 8mb buffer..

www.audioflo.ath.cx
All music, All the Time
Nofx Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2002, 20:35   #44
dylman
Forum King

Whatever PC you finally build, it will be more than welcome at seti@forums.winamp.com

(This also goes for all 94,220 of you who haven't joined us yet...)

There's no need to tell me when I'm right;
I operate on that principle exclusively and with absolute certainty
dylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2002, 20:49   #45
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by AloneInTheDark
hdd 60 Gb Western Digital 8 mb buffer.
??

Last time i checked WD only made 80,100 and 120gb models in their caviar se range.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nofx Guy
unless you are running a server then it is of no use whatsoever
Not true. While the 8mb buffer may not help with large file transfers, it'll definately makes for a more responsive system. Since the hard drive is the slowest part of a pc (exlcluding optical and floppy drives) it's definately worth spending a little extra. The price difference between the caviar and caviar se is only around 10-15% anyway.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 01:49   #46
MetallichicA
Forum Queen

Send a message via AIM to MetallichicA
Quote:
Originally posted by dylman
Whatever PC you finally build, it will be more than welcome at seti@forums.winamp.com

(This also goes for all 94,220 of you who haven't joined us yet...)
I'm workin' on it, I'm workin' on it! I'd love to join up now, but I don't think I'd do much good with just a P450 eh?

I think we're prolly going to go with a 2400. I know AMD runs hotter, but we've got 5 fans in the darn case. Plus, if we were to get a P4, we'd need RAM that's more expensive. We'd end up having to buy 2x256 at 800 or 1066, right? Both of which are more expensive than the 2100 or 2700. I guess it's kind of a tossup. I know either brand would be good. We won't be overclocking the thing (what for? lol), so we won't even have to worry about that.

<edit> By the way, is this (off techbargains)...

Maxtor 120GB HD $99.99, Nov 24
Some Best Buy Retail stores have the Maxtor 120GB 7200 RPM 2MB cache drive at $99.99 with no rebates. Have them scan the item to verify true price.
They did this to meet the Compusa sale price of $99.99 after rebates on the drive. Get the 10% off coupon from PC World, maxim, or Sports illustrated to save more!
Feel lucku? Buy one then go to Compusa and have them match the $99.99 price and get $60 in rebates too!

...a good deal? I'd like to stick with WD, but is it worth it for this HDD?
MetallichicA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 01:59   #47
n_ick2000
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to n_ick2000 Send a message via Yahoo to n_ick2000
Quote:
...a good deal? I'd like to stick with WD, but is it worth it for this HDD?
yes... The 8mb cache are SO much better. That is a good deal for one.

|
n_ick2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 02:01   #48
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:

I think we're prolly going to go with a 2400. I know AMD runs hotter, but we've got 5 fans in the darn case. Plus, if we were to get a P4, we'd need RAM that's more expensive. We'd end up having to buy 2x256 at 800 or 1066, right? Both of which are more expensive than the 2100 or 2700. I guess it's kind of a tossup. I know either brand would be good. We won't be overclocking the thing (what for? lol), so we won't even have to worry about that.
No, you can run ddr ram with a p4. RDRAM is faster, but not by much, but its a lot more expensive.

Take a look at this board. DDR333 (pc2700), 533fsb, 6 usb2.0 ports, and most importantly, thermal fan speed control.

And a 120gb hd for $40?? Go for it...
Old 26th November 2002, 02:16   #49
MetallichicA
Forum Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by n_ick2000

yes... The 8mb cache are SO much better. That is a good deal for one.
...but this is a 2mb cache... right?

I'm such a dumbass when it comes to hardware lol

BTW, the closest CompUSA is pretty far from here... so I'd say, is this HDD worth it for $100? Or only if I can get it for $40
Old 26th November 2002, 03:23   #50
Nofx Guy
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Atmo

Not true. While the 8mb buffer may not help with large file transfers, it'll definately makes for a more responsive system. Since the hard drive is the slowest part of a pc (exlcluding optical and floppy drives) it's definately worth spending a little extra. The price difference between the caviar and caviar se is only around 10-15% anyway.
it would not make for a more responsive system, unless your doing high reading/writing , such as video editing etc , the performance increase will be nill. you are backwards with what your saying, it will not help with smaller transfers , but rather large transfers.

www.audioflo.ath.cx
All music, All the Time
Old 26th November 2002, 21:16   #51
AloneInTheDark

For Atmo: hdds Western Digital Caviar Special Edition (8 mb buffer) go from 40 Gb to 200(!) Gb

For Nofx Guy: i think that 8 mb of buffer are very useful in graphic programs.

For all the USA users: does really a 120 Gb hdd in your nation cost only $40?!?!? Send me 5 or 6 of them!!! I work in a computer store (in Italy) and a 120 Gb hdd has a price of about €199 (about $199!)... you're so lucky!!!
AloneInTheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2002, 17:51   #52
MetallichicA
Forum Queen

What do you know about LED lights? I see that they're much brighter than the CCL's, but you also can't turn them off. Is there any easy way to shut them off if I want to watch a movie or something? Would I have to unplug them? They're about the same price as cold cathode lights, so I'm not worried about that. The lights are probably going to be something we wait on anyway, but I'm curious if anyone has them.

BTW, I know that you can paint your bezels to match your computer... but how would we go about doing that? How do you manage to not get paint in the buttons and all the little nooks and crannies?

Oh, and we did buy more stuff over Thanksgiving weekend. I'll let you know what I bought later (I'm at work now and I don't really remember all the specs on everything)
Old 4th December 2002, 18:09   #53
Curi0us_George
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Curi0us_George Send a message via Yahoo to Curi0us_George
Nofx, Tomshardware seems to disagree. I'm going to have to say that I trust their judgement over yours. That extra cache does matter. If the cache didn't matter, then there would be zero megs, not 2, not 8. Cache does matter.

MetallichicA, what do you mean by "LED lights"? The indicator lights on the front of the case? You can't turn those off without disconecting them, and that'll require opening the case every time you want to turn the on/off. If you are talking about some sort of internal lighting system, then I'd imagine that they will be on all the time.

To paint the bezels, you'll need to take them off of the actual drives. How you do that will depend on the particular drive. A lot of them will just pop off. Some of them are attached with screws. Search Google for "case modding" or something similar. There are plenty of guides out there for painting (and even metallicizing) bezels.

For the freedom to express myself in my own way without fear of being censored or banned.

47 65 6C 61 65 64 2E 63 6F 6D 00
Curi0us_George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2002, 22:11   #54
MetallichicA
Forum Queen

Is "heat sink compound" thermal grease? We got this little bitty packet of white goop with the heat sink that says "heat sink compound" on the plastic. What do we do with it?

Also, if we take off the bezel, that means the buttons stay white, though, right?

And the LED's are extra lights, I'm not talking about the ones on the keyboard/monitor/speakers/etc.
Old 4th December 2002, 22:19   #55
Some1
Forum King

Quote:
Is "heat sink compound" thermal grease?
Yes.

Quote:
We got this little bitty packet of white goop with the heat sink that says "heat sink compound" on the plastic. What do we do with it?
Apply it directly to the core (the raised thingy in the center of the chip, it's small and metallic looking on AMD Athlon XP's, and larger and plastic looking on P4's) of your processor before you place the heatsink on. Just apply enough to cover the top of the core in a thin layer (the heatsink will compress it for you) and make sure that there aren't any air bubbles in it after you apply it.
Some1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2002, 22:20   #56
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
Is "heat sink compound" thermal grease? We got this little bitty packet of white goop with the heat sink that says "heat sink compound" on the plastic. What do we do with it?

Also, if we take off the bezel, that means the buttons stay white, though, right?

And the LED's are extra lights, I'm not talking about the ones on the keyboard/monitor/speakers/etc.
Smear a tiny ammount of the goop on the heatsink where it makes contact with the cpu (the small raised square bit in the middle for an althlon). Just enough to cover the surface, you can use your finger, but a credit card or something will do a better job of getting it even. Its only meant to fill in the air gaps between the cpu and heatsink, not act as something to conduct heat, so the layer must be thin. It doesnt have to be exact, just dont put on heaps or it'll squish out the side, and make a mess.

Most drives have removable buttons so take them off too when you paint them, the only pain in the arse are the small volume wheels on most cdrom drives. The only thing you can do with them (unless youre prepared to pull apart the drive) is to color them with a permanant marker.

The led's can be hooked up to a switch if you like. A small push or throw switch can be bought from most electronics stores for a couple of dollars. Drill a hole in one of the left over drive bay covers and put it in there. You could get a potenometer and make the brightness adjustable, but its probably not worth it.

If ya wanna be truly l33t, hook up a clapper switch...
Old 4th December 2002, 22:26   #57
Nofx Guy
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Curi0us_George
Nofx, Tomshardware seems to disagree. I'm going to have to say that I trust their judgement over yours.
yes.. and tomshardware backs up what ive been trying to say the whole time. I havent said these drivers are slow or bad, im jsut saying for average day use like games ect , there is not much of a performance increase to justify spending the extra cash on it. For a server or something like that then they are worth it. Here's a quote directly from TomsHardware regarding these drivers..

Quote:
The WD1000 with 8 MB buffer is quite interesting for people that want to set up file or database servers, as such applications always benefit from cache memories. For normal applications such as office software and games, the advantages are quite small.
Also the graphs that they have displaying the benchmarks, the drives performed great in high-end Data transfer bench's, but average for things that would display more everyday use like read-write times ect. As such i think tomshardware backs up exactly what i have been trying to say..

www.audioflo.ath.cx
All music, All the Time
Old 5th December 2002, 02:10   #58
Curi0us_George
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Curi0us_George Send a message via Yahoo to Curi0us_George
Quote:

Make sure you put that heat sink compound on thin. Too much is worse than none at all.

You could hook up the lights to a switch, but it would be more hassle. I'd just do without.

Nofx Guy,

Quote:
The WinBench 99 by eTesting Labs (formerly Ziff Davis) is still one of the best application benchmarks today. Here you can see the real-world impact of 8 MB cache memory: particularly in the HighEnd Disk WinBench, the huge-cached drives are ahead.
http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/...wd1200-06.html

For the freedom to express myself in my own way without fear of being censored or banned.

47 65 6C 61 65 64 2E 63 6F 6D 00
Curi0us_George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2002, 05:28   #59
MetallichicA
Forum Queen

Well, I said I would post the final components we ended up with, so here they are (as much as I can remember or find the boxes and stuff for lol)...

Thermaltake XaserII steel case (black!)
Sony E540 21" Trinitron (black!)
Logitech Mx700 wireless optical mouse (black!)
Altec Lansing 641 speakers (black!)
Inland ergo keyboard (black!)
AMD Athlon 2400
MSI KT4 Ultra (red!)
Antec TruePower 430 watt power supply
WD 120GB 7200rpm HDD
WD 120GB SE 8MB cache
Thermaltake Volcano 9 heatsink (orange!)
I/O Magic 48x16x48x internal cd-rw
Generic floppy drive (black!)
512MB RAM
GeForce3 Ti200 64MB
Round IDE cables (red!)
...and we'll be adding red lights later. I love color coordination hehehe

The only thing I hate HATE HATE about this thing is that the fans that came with case are orange and LAVENDER. What the hell? Who came up with that? Can I paint case fans? Cuz they are BUGLY.

Anyway, we spent $400 on the 120GB 7200 HDD, CDRW, RAM that we thought would be free but wasn't after all (idiots at Circuit City), battery backup, and a surge protector, but got $300 of that back in rebates. And then the SE HDD was $200 but we've got rebates to bring it down to $120. So we're fairly happy with what we spent

We started building it tonight, but we're new at this so it's taking forever. I'm deathly afraid that I'll miss a step or do something dumb... even though when I really think about it, I've added enough to our old computer that I know where everything goes. *shrug* Noob jitters, I guess.

Once again, thanks for all your help! I know I'm probably driving you all insane with all my questions
Old 7th December 2002, 12:37   #60
MetallichicA
Forum Queen

One more thing, I've heard the onboard sound for this mobo is pretty good, and that some people just skip getting another soundcard. Anyone know if that's true?
Old 7th December 2002, 16:58   #61
1Road_Guy

Building your own pc? Cool, way to go, personally I would buy a case with the power supply already in it, you can get a black one and they are fairly cheap too, you will spend just as much for a power supply to go into the case w/o it.....save some money, buy a case with a power supply! Check out http://www.tcwo.com for some of the components you are looking for, they have great prices, they are reputable, and have the lowest shipping cost via FedEx. Stay with your choice of AMD, they are no where near as expensive as the Pentium, but deliver the same performance! Remeber that your computer is only as fast as the slowest component you have installed!! Be sure you are getting a hard drive that runs at 7200 rmp, Ultra ATA speed 133.......they cost a little more, but worth the extra couple dollars for the best performance. Get plenty of RAM atleast 256Mb, sounds like you already have a great video card just waiting to be used, and the choice in sound card is a good one aswell, though you can use the onboard sound for now untill you get the other sound card.
1Road_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2002, 17:12   #62
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:

The only thing I hate HATE HATE about this thing is that the fans that came with case are orange and LAVENDER. What the hell? Who came up with that? Can I paint case fans? Cuz they are BUGLY.
Sure, but you have to be very careful to get the paint even. If theres blobs and stuff it'll make the fans cause some really awful vibration (making them much noiser). Personally, i wouldnt bother.

Quote:

One more thing, I've heard the onboard sound for this mobo is pretty good, and that some people just skip getting another soundcard. Anyone know if that's true?
Ok, you get 5.1 channel AC97 sound, which is generally regarded as decent for onboard, but not exactly brilliant. I'd use it for a while, then get another soundcard if you feel its lacking.

I already had an SBLive! when i bought my kt3 ultra, which also has 5.1 ac97 sound, so im using the SBLive, as it frees up some ram.

I wouldnt upgrade to anything less than an audigy 5.1 or a Hercules Fortissimo 3.

Quote:
Originally posted by 1Road_Guy
..personally I would buy a case with the power supply already in it, you can get a black one and they are fairly cheap too, you will spend just as much for a power supply to go into the case w/o it.....save some money, buy a case with a power supply!
Pfft. Most power supplies that come with cases are generic 300 watters that would be struggling to run a duron and a geforce2.

Quote:
Be sure you are getting a hard drive that runs at 7200 rmp, Ultra ATA speed 133.......they cost a little more, but worth the extra couple dollars for the best performance
ATA133 makes stuff all difference. Two 7200rpm drives would be struggling to saturate an ATA100 controller.
Old 7th December 2002, 17:26   #63
MetallichicA
Forum Queen

Quote:
Building your own pc? Cool, way to go, personally I would buy a case with the power supply already in it,..... etc.
Thanks for the tips, but as you can see above, I've already bought all my parts and they're all in the computer. We just have to finish connecting a few more things and it's ready to go
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions