Old 17th December 2002, 08:51   #1
zaybee_devil

hardware

can all computers be upgraded...i mean i was talking to this guy in class the other day and i said that i wanted to buy a new ram and a new harddisk...he told me to check first if my comp is compatible for an upgrade...is he telling me the truth...or is he pulling my leg...
here's wat i know about my comp (which is ancient btw)

Pentium II 333 Mhz
HD 4.0 GB
RAM 64 MB
Display Adapter RAGE PRO TURBO AGP 2x

i'm sick an tired of my comp...so i need help...

(i'm open to suggestions as well)
zaybee_devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2002, 09:00   #2
binary hero
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to binary hero
well, you could stick a new harddrive in there for a start, and some more RAM, we need to know your motherboard model to really help you.
binary hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2002, 09:02   #3
Some1
Forum King

It would probably be more prudent to get a whole new system than to try and update your current one, given its stats. That being said, however, you should be able to upgrade it, although finding parts that work with it may be difficult...for example, most retailers nowadays sell only Rambus (P4), or PCxxxx DDR (AMD's, cheapo P4's) RAM, and I'd bet that neither kind is compatible with your P2 MB...you'd have to shop around online to find a place that sells the right kind of RAM. Also, throwing in a brand new HDD would be pretty pointless, because although your MB will support it, it will (probably) be unable to acheive the transfer rates and throughput needed to actually get peak performance out of the new device (because of bus speed and PIO/DMA transfer mode limitations)...there's really no point in throwing modern hardware into such an outdated box...if you want to add a new HDD, it would make more sense to scavenge around for a cheap (and possibly previously used) older model if you don't want to build a whole new system.
Some1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2002, 12:30   #4
smeggle

I would also suspect, looking at your stats, that your HD is actually 8 gigs. What was generally done with these systems as far as I can make out that is, was the drive was partitioned down to 4 gig and then split again down to 2 and 2 gig. Correct me if I'm wrong but this was due to support probs on large drive s in the older systems. So if thats right( I did this on a p3 system the other week)
you actually have a 8gig drive I suspect.
Check it by doing an 'FDISK/STATUS' in CMD PROMPT or via say a 98 startup disk (READ HELP FILE!!).
Whats your current OS? I think 98 onwards supports bigger drives,you can set this up on an OS install.ie it gives you the option for large disk support.
If I'm right then you won't need a new drive. It means a format on your drive removing all partitions then re-install your OS (98 onwards)
Your RAM prob? I'd go around your local computer repair shops and you may probably find some help ie obsolete stuff they may be only to happy to move on cheap or even FREE! I got a load of stuff this way.
Apart from that I'd like the guy's say instead of buyiny obsolete stuff get a new MB that supports at least 650meg clock speed.Most modern graphics need this speed.I know winamp avs likes the faster speed but then I'm no techy in that department really.
Try an FDISK/STATUS and see what size your drive actually is.

btw Hallo and welcome to the forums
Old 17th December 2002, 12:32   #5
binary hero
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by smeggle
I know winamp avs likes the faster speed but then I'm no techy in that department really.
wianmp AVS is CPU based, not graphics card.
Old 17th December 2002, 12:35   #6
Some1
Forum King

Quote:
I guess that would explain the poor performance when running at full screen with alphablending turned on...perhaps somebody should make a version that uses hardware acceleration...my N64 emulator can do it, so why shouldn't my MP3 player?
Old 17th December 2002, 12:36   #7
binary hero
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Some1

I guess that would explain the poor performance when running at full screen with alphablending turned on...perhaps somebody should make a version that uses hardware acceleration...my N64 emulator can do it, so why shouldn't my MP3 player?
what? like milkdrop, geiss, monkey and all the rest?
Old 17th December 2002, 13:15   #8
smeggle

Quote:
Originally posted by binary hero

I wondered about that as I noticed a higher CPU usage when using AVS,wasn't sure though.

I reckon Zaybee does have the partitioned 8 gig drive though going by what he say's. and his CPU speed should cope with win98,as u only need..what is it 200meg [I think] and 98 will support the larger drive format,won't it? I'd say his main prob. is to increase his RAM.
And do a drive format ,install 98 [or 2000me]should help him a bit till he can afford newer stuff.
Old 17th December 2002, 13:31   #9
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

If you can afford it (you don't say how much your willing to spend), go with a new mobo, processor and memory. You don't have to get the best, a decent mobo for £70, a processor for about the same and a bit more for memory. You can then pickup a 40 gig HDD dead cheap. You should have a lot of change from £300, which you'll need for a hefty heatsink for your processor. An Alaska HS and a low rpm 80mm fan will do nicely. You current memory is probably PC100 Dimms, this won't work on new mobo's that use DDR. I also suggest that you go down the AMD route also as that will be a lot cheaper. To boot a lot of mother boards these days come with on board sound and LAN ports so you won't need those addin cards unless you must have them or want to run 2 at a time.

.: fwgx.co.uk.:.My art:.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2002, 13:54   #10
hestermofet
Major Dude

To answer your question, virtually every PC can be upgraded to a certain extent. Some manufacturers (Compaq, for example) are in the habit of making legacy-free workstations which can't be upgraded, but these are aimed at businesses, so you probably don't have one of these machines. I'll bet anything that you could at least add more RAM.

Check out Crucial. The quality of their RAM is topnotch, and they sell all varieties of the stuff, so you'll probably find something compatible with your motherboard. There's also no harm in adding a larger hard drive.

For the freedom to express myself in my own way without fear of being censored or banned.
hestermofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2002, 19:37   #11
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

I think crucial is a bit of over kill in that system. A bit of regular 133 PC SDRAM should do the job more than adequatly. But go for a well know brand like Crucial or Corsair if you decide to go for a new mobo and DDR. Also your PII is probably a slot connector, I think you'll only be able to get a PIII in there at best and you can't get them new now. Do some research on the top speed processor you can fit and then search on e-bay for some second hand chips.

.: fwgx.co.uk.:.My art:.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2002, 20:32   #12
Nofx Guy
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nofx Guy
your chip is prolly more than likely a slot chip. You will be able to upgrade that to a p3, or faster celeron processor. Check your local computer shop.. they might have some old slot chips lyin around. Also your drive is prolly only 4 gigs, not 8gigs partitioned out.. drives larger than 4gigs have been supported since windows 95C. So if you running 98 i doubt the company who built you pc would have partitioned out your drive, especially when its not needed. Also pc133 sdram is ultra cheap now, like 40 bucks canadian for a stick of 128mb, so if your in the states prolly around 15-20. I would sudgest going out and buying a new computer because at the end of the day your still have an old system, no matter how much you upgrade it, its still going to be dated.

www.audioflo.ath.cx
All music, All the Time
Nofx Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2002, 21:29   #13
Some1
Forum King

Quote:
what? like milkdrop, geiss, monkey and all the rest?
Not a single one of thoe looks as good as AVS or offers the same degree of customization options.
Old 18th December 2002, 02:42   #14
Nofx Guy
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nofx Guy
Quote:
Originally posted by Some1

Not a single one of thoe looks as good as AVS or offers the same degree of customization options.
uhmm.. milkdrop kicks avs's ass bigtime buddy.. i dont know what your talkin about..

www.audioflo.ath.cx
All music, All the Time
Nofx Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2002, 02:48   #15
Some1
Forum King

Quote:
uhmm.. milkdrop kicks avs's ass bigtime buddy..
If milkdrop were that good, it would be bundled with Winamp the way that AVS is...the fact that it isn't speaks volumes about their relative levels of performance.
Old 18th December 2002, 02:58   #16
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

It's usually not worthwhile upgrading old components for other old components.

If you're on a budget, my suggestion would be to buy a new video card (geforce4 mx) and a new hard drive (40 gig at least, 7200rpm reccomended) first.

You'll be able to use them in your current system while you save up for more parts.

Grab a new mobo, cpu and ram all at once, as long as your case is ATX (most likely will be) you can just put the new gear in that for the time being. You'll probably have to upgrade the power supply though.

The amd XP1700 and 1800+ processors represent excellent value for money nowdays, not much more expensive than a duron 1300, but a whole lot faster.

Motherboard choice is up to you, whatever fits your budget, but still gives adequate performance. I'd go for a kt400 chipset, and cas2 pc2700 (ddr333) ram (since ddr400 hasnt been properly sorted yet).
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions