Old 23rd February 2003, 21:46   #1
Esotic

Send a message via AIM to Esotic
EMPR - Esotic's MilkDrop Preset Randomizer

I wrote a program in VB6 to create random milkdrop presets.

Check it out and post ideas on enhancements.

Sorry I couldn't include more in the ZIP file, but the forums won't let me post large files.

If it won't run read the ReadMe.TXT.

Thanks,

Esotic

ps: Much thanks for all the preset creators that have kept me staring at my computer for the last year.

Attached Files
File Type: zip empr.zip (18.7 KB, 432 views)
Esotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2003, 04:43   #2
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
Nice program.. Let me play around with it for a while.. Looks promising
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2003, 04:54   #3
Zylot
Major Dude

Many many many problems:

1) all random lines of code in frame and pixel do not end in ;... this makes it so nothing at all happens in the code.
2) per pixel random codes only set x and y... which don't do anything either.
2) Make it so if you set it to a non existant directory it will create that directory..

-------------
What do you wish for?
--Instrumentality
Zylot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2003, 05:02   #4
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

yeah I noticed the missing ";'s"
Old 24th February 2003, 14:57   #5
Esotic

doh!

I figured I'd make some dumb mistakes like that.

Don't miss out on clicking the "Show Variable Options" button. It's good for restricting variable ranges to "sweet spots". Everything but the big "Insert Into" text boxes should be getting remembered from the last time you run the program.

>2) per pixel random codes only set x and y... which don't do anything either.

Can you give me a list or point me in a direction as to what I should be randomizing in the per pixel equations? Rot? I suppose I could just go through your presets for ideas.

I'll make the requested fixes/updates and will hopefully post the next version sometime this evening or tommorrow. Feel free to make suggestions.

Booyaa!

Esotic
Old 24th February 2003, 15:25   #6
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

rot, zoom, cx and cy (center of rot and sx\sy), sx, sy, zoom, zoomexp, dx, dy.
Old 25th February 2003, 03:49   #7
Esotic

EMPR V0.0.0.4 - Fixes and Such

Here are the fixes/updates that were requested/needed.

So far it doesn't do a fabulous job of making presets "from scratch". Alot of them come out looking the same if you don't modify the variable ranges.

But it does well if you give it some "provided" preset code.

Possible Enhancements:
- Add definable ranges for all variables
- Option for tweaking "provided" per frame/pixel equations
- Directory Browser for selecting output directory or loading a preset.
- Reformat "provided" code to ensure the line numbers are correct
- Anything you can come up with.

The default preset is now "Idiot24-7 - Mind Bender 1.milk", cuz it's one of my faves.

Get your drop on,

Esotic
Attached Files
File Type: zip empr.zip (20.3 KB, 262 views)
Old 26th February 2003, 01:07   #8
Rozzor

Thanks for coding this, Esotic, it is intriguing and might actually be helpful in coming up with new effects.

Bug report: I'm getting a lot of per-frame errors caused by the program generating lines like:
per_frame_41=per_frame_41=wave_y = 1-q2;
per_frame_7=per_pixel_7=dy = (newy)*newzoom - newy;

Keep on trucking!
Rozzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2003, 04:13   #9
Esotic

EMPR V0.0.0.7 - Moving Forward

The next installment in what I hope is a continuing saga. Thanks for the positive support and criticisms.

The variables have been seperated into thier respective tabs, as approriate. I still have a few to add (mostly color variables).

I'm so happy about this I even included the VB6 source code in the ZIP. Please use responsibly and post any modifications to this thread or these forums.

Mash-Ups are the bomb. Check out these sites for (most of) the soundtrack to the making of this program (thus far):

http://www.4trak.net/dsico/
http://www.soundhog.org.uk/

Esotic
Attached Files
File Type: zip empr.zip (49.0 KB, 239 views)
Old 26th February 2003, 05:04   #10
Rozzor

Function request: you need to have a way to return the checkboxes to grayed.

I took a look at your code. fun fun fun. Couldn't fix the bug I found in the time I had to look at it but I have a question:

In the function PrintProvidedPerPixel there are the lines
Print #lFile, sLine ' "per_frame_" & iCount & "=" &
and
Print #lFile, "per_frame_" & iCount & "=" & sTemp

Did you mean to say "per_pixel_"?
Old 26th February 2003, 05:13   #11
Esotic

CheckBoxes

If you keep clicking a CheckBox it should alternate between checked and grayed (with unchecked occuring between each).

I'll take a look the "per_pixel" issue you mentioned.

I'm working on loading presets,

Esotic
Old 26th February 2003, 06:09   #12
Esotic

Loading Presets Basically Functional

Sometimes coding goes quicker than expected.

I got the Beta version of Preset Loading working. If the preset is in an old format it will not load correctly. I'll fix that, but not right now.

Obsessed and Possessed but Tired,

Esotic
Attached Files
File Type: zip empr.zip (55.6 KB, 226 views)
Old 26th February 2003, 10:10   #13
Krash
Major Dude

I haven't taken a look at this just yet, but here's something you might consider putting in:

Over the last year and a half, there has been several codebases developed by us here at the forums which have proven to be useful, and been used extensively. Such things are Rovastar's "Harlequin" colour code, my "indecision" code, and beat detection from alot of us.
It would be cool if you could choose to include these codes in the generated preset, and the program would then generate additional random lines as necessary.
For example, my beat detection code has one point which people may wish to modify (the speed at which the threshold decays both normally, and when a beat is overdue - as the decay is based on framerate, a very high framerate will warrant a slower decay to achieve the same effect), and one variable which it outputs - beat - which can be either 0 or 1.
A simple way of incorporating this randomly would be something like this:

<Krash's beat code>
ob_a = beat;

or slightly more complex:

<Krash's beat code>
effect = if(beat,1-effect,effect);
dx = if(effect,<dx effect1>,<dx effect2>);
rot = if(effect,<rot effect1>,<rot effect2>);

Just a suggestion

- Krash

Eighty-three percent of all statistical quotes are made up on the spot.
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2003, 14:53   #14
Esotic

Yes, I would like to make use of the MilkDrop codebase. You can currently do some of that by specifying "provided" code, but it would be nicer if you could tell EMPR which additional variables to consider for it's random equations. Or have it parse the "provided" code and figure that out for itself.

I Want Some Milk!

Esotic
Old 26th February 2003, 16:05   #15
Esotic

I think the "per_pixel_7=per_pixel_7=" problem that Rozzor mentioned happens when the last line of the "provided" code doesn't contain a vbCRLF (Carriage Return Line Feed). If you always hit "enter" at least once after the last line of "provided" code you should not see that bug in the generated MILK files. I'll try and fix that this evening (time providing).

That's what I said,

Esotic
Old 26th February 2003, 23:06   #16
Rovastar

Send a message via AIM to Rovastar
hi Esotic,

Not checked this yet as my PC i sout of action at the moment. BUt will do.

Nice to see a VJ giving something back to the visualization community. So many do not and just abuse (me bitter and twisted.....never....ummh. ) and IMHO doesn't help the visualization cause.

If the generator is any good and when finished I will add it to my website if you do not mind.

"Rules are for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of fools"

Visuals - Morphyre www.Morphyre.com
Rovastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2003, 01:52   #17
Esotic

EMPR V0.0.0.9 - Updates and Fixes

This time around I added support for user variables on the right side of the randomly generated equations. I opted to not parse the "provided" code. User variables should be entered into thier respective fields separated by commas.

I also fixed the "per_pixel_7=per_pixel_7=" error mentioned by Rozzor.

I've been noticing some presets cause MilkDrop to error out (3 out of 1000 in one batch), but have yet been able to determine a concrete cause. It's probably due to something be out of bounds or a math error (like dividing by zero or something).

I do VJ shows on Thursdays (for FREE at http://www.bickettgallery.com in Raleigh NC in case anybody is wondering), but other than that am planning to update EMPR.Exe daily until there are no real issues. I don't mind coding this all myself, but also welcome other coders to jump into it and whip up some functionality. I'll probably finish adding support for all variable ranges next (wave colors and such).

My VJ show would probably suck if it were not for MilkDrop and all the Preset creators that kick my retina's proverbial buttocks.

Showin' The Love,

Esotic
Attached Files
File Type: zip empr.zip (58.1 KB, 233 views)
Old 27th February 2003, 01:56   #18
Esotic

Oh yeah, I totally forgot to add that I would be super stoked if my program was deemed good enough for public distribution.

Ok, time to go crank out some presets.

Esotic
Old 27th February 2003, 05:57   #19
Rozzor

I'm not sure yet how much I'm going to be using this but I suspect at least some. When I loaded one of my presets I saw a few variations very similar to those I went through when I was writing it, so it has potential for decreasing preset development time, especially when I'm desperate for new effects.

Feature request: The ability to output and upload variable range files.

Thanks again.
Old 27th February 2003, 13:55   #20
Esotic

I like the way you think.

I'll be busy until friday evening, but will jump back into checking out your attachment and adding the feature you requested (cuz I was thinking about that too).

I've had pretty good success loading presets and then extending some of the ranges. Like variations on a theme, except it doesn't take much in MilkDrop to have a fairly profound effect.

Everyone feel free to continue making feature suggestions.

Who let the code out!

Esotic
Old 27th February 2003, 14:13   #21
Illusion
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Illusion
Esotic, this has the potential to be a really excellent program. Keep up the great work so far.

I haven't been able to churn out anything mind-blowing yet, but I'm sure if you keep at it and keep adding additional functionality, we could end up with a very, very useful program.

Maybe something cool would be to have a way of taking the top half of code from one preset, and then use the per_pixel from another, and the per_frame from another?

Something like that would be good, because as Krash mentioned, we do have a very strong codebase already, so building on this seems to me to be a very good step to proceed with.

In regards to other people helping you, were you planning to release the source anytime soon?
Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2003, 20:21   #22
Esotic

Lay Down Flip It and Reverse It

I appreciate the positive feedback. Lets keep running with this and see how much eye-booty we can smack.

As mentioned before it's already been helpful in providing me with variations on current presets that seem somewhat unique. I'll try and remember to post some of them along with the next ZIP.

The source code should be provided in the V0.0.0.9 ZIP file inside the VBCode folder.

I try to code things to make as much logical sense as possible (please keep that in mind before using variables like MyVar1, MyVar2, ThisThing, etc). Not that any of us have done that in the past.

Mixing and Matching is a great idea. But to work that in I'd have to get the program auto formatting the per_frame(PF) and per_pixel(PP) line numbers (which I plan on doing at some point).

It would be quite easy to modify the program to load PF and PP code separately from the static variables. And then to maybe have an "Open And Append" option for opening a MILK file for it's PP and PF info to get tacked onto what's already loaded into those entry fields. (please excuse the run-on)

My initial idea was that totally random equations would be really cool. Turns out I was worse than right, I was wrong. What the randomizing code needs is some direction. Like weighting some function more than others (sin, cos, tan occuring more often than log10, equals, log). Or even making the randomizer smart enough to know what kind of functions should go inside other functions. Giving it an understanding of mathematical function that provide visually interesting output. But since that's a judgement based on human perception it's going to require us to figure out how to code logic that "understands" that concept. The randomizer is actually quite stupid (brute force) at this point, and it shows.

I have yet to see a visualization program that comes anywhere near touching MilkDrop's pure visual beauty, ease of use, and range of features. All hail Nullsoft, Ryan Geiss, DirectX, and my Radeon 8500.

To paraphrase Krash...

I want to go places that don't exist,

Esotic
Old 1st March 2003, 02:57   #23
Esotic

V0.0.0.10 - Added A Can Of Whoop-Ass

V0.0.0.10
- Added ability to load code separately from variables
- Added ability to append loaded code into entry fields (instead of overwriting)
- Added "Extend Ranges" menu option on the "Specify Variable Ranges" form to assist and tweaking out all numeric parameters (currently nudges all vars in 0.01 increments away from thier current values).
- Fixed how the program loads presets, should now work on a wider range of MILK file versions
- Program now reformats per_pixel and per_frame line numbers to ensure they are correct

I've spent so much time coding this app I haven't gotten to play with it much (or the EMPR.Exe).

Possible Features -
- tweak checkbox for the provided code to randomly adjust bits here and there
- batch preset mangler: randomly load pieces of presets, randomize all the options, then spit out a random number of presets
- increase the quality of the presets made from scratch (any ideas?)

I skipped on adding presets this time around cuz I just don't have time for that, but soon, I promise.

Got MilkDrop,

Esotic
Attached Files
File Type: zip empr.zip (62.8 KB, 228 views)
Old 1st March 2003, 22:35   #24
Esotic

EMPR - V0.0.0.11 Wiggle It, Just A Little Bit

V0.0.0.11
- Rearranged the main form a little
- Added "Load Defaults" menu option on main form
- Added User Selected Vars for the Left Side of the Equations
- Fixed a bug in parsing the User Selected Vars fields
Old 1st March 2003, 22:43   #25
Esotic

EMPR.Exe V0.0.0.11 - Watch That Enter Key

V0.0.0.11
- Rearranged the main form a little
- Added "Load Defaults" menu option on main form
- Added User Selected Vars for the Left Side of the PF and PP Equations
- Fixed a bug in parsing the User Selected Vars fields

I included some presets along with the program. They may not be groundbreaking, but they are starting to get somewhat better. And to be honest I had to tweak them all at least a little bit.

The interface is starting to get a bit crazy. If anybody minds and has a suggestion for how to clean it up let me know.

I hope everyone's friday night was as much fun as mine.

Esotic
Attached Files
File Type: zip empr.zip (92.3 KB, 233 views)
Old 2nd March 2003, 02:06   #26
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Most of the codes Krash was talking about are in the "For all the newbies" thread thats at the top. Nice program, Im about to test the new one.
Old 2nd March 2003, 02:14   #27
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

I get a runtime error when I try and start it, Do I need the VB runtime files? (I just noticed I installed them like a week ago) still no luck.
Old 2nd March 2003, 05:20   #28
Rozzor

I decided to take full credit for the attached presets. After all, EMPR provided only a couple lines. What do you all think? It's so much easier to mod than to be modded.

As for the inspiration for the title, check this out.
Attached Files
File Type: zip rozzor - naked peace.zip (2.2 KB, 278 views)
Old 2nd March 2003, 18:05   #29
Zylot
Major Dude

Awwe, another bleeding heart libral peacenik.. and I was starting to respect you

Option Requests and bug submitions:
Delete all random presets (the ones in the Tests folder)
Get the dx and dy thing working right... it still shows up as x and y in per pix
Still not getting semicolons ;\
it's deleting the code I put "Add into perframe"
it's giving random preframe code when i told it not to.
make it so you can change what wave_type you want in the variable options window.
Per Pixel attempts to use variable not defined, and not listed in the window for variables "on the right"

I like the progress though, this should be a useful tool in the not too distant future.

-------------
What do you wish for?
--Instrumentality
Zylot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2003, 20:02   #30
Esotic

Bugs and Credit

I'm not concerned with me or the program getting any credit for the presets. I've been considering have the "Author" field change to the name of whatever preset you load into the program (as a matter of fact).

As far as a runtime error on startup, I assume that would be related to the controls being used on the forms. I am currently using comdlg32.ocx, tabctl32.ocx, and mscomctl.ocx. If you have all of those controls you may want to try registering them with the regsvr32.exe in the windows\system directory. If you don't have them you should be able to find them online somewhere. I'll look into making an installer.

Zylot, insulting me doesn't make me care what you say, but I'll listen anyways.

Make sure to get the ZIP file from my very latest posted version - V0.0.0.11. I'll double check my code and output on the things you mentioned and try to implement the feature requests as well.

Sunday Bloody Sunday,

Esotic
Old 2nd March 2003, 20:03   #31
Esotic

Sorry if I misunderstood who was getting insulted.

Whoot!
Old 2nd March 2003, 21:00   #32
Esotic

V0.0.0.12 - Fixes and Enhancements

V0.0.0.12
- Added WaveType into the "Specify Variable Values" form
- Added code to ensure that every equation ends in ";"
- Added an option to clear all *.MILK files from the output directory
- Fixed a bug where per_pixel was getting replaced by per_frame

That last bug was causing a good bit of the errant behaviour that Zylot had noticed.

I don't think the x and y thing that he referred to is actually a problem, though. The right side of the per_pixel equations should be using x, y, rot, and ang according to the maxim in the preset authoring HTML file. The right side of the equations should not, though. Hmmm, I may need to look at that again.

Anyhow, heeeeeere's Johnny,
or is it "Who's Johnny?" she said, and smiled in her special way.

Esotic
Attached Files
File Type: zip empr.zip (66.6 KB, 225 views)
Old 2nd March 2003, 21:03   #33
Esotic

sorry, I meant to say "The right side of the per_pixel equations should be using x, y, RAD, and ang according to the maxim in the preset authoring HTML file"
Old 3rd March 2003, 06:08   #34
unchained
Major Dude

Send a message via Yahoo to unchained
Quote:
Or even making the randomizer smart enough to know what kind of functions should go inside other functions. Giving it an understanding of mathematical function that provide visually interesting output. But since that's a judgement based on human perception it's going to require us to figure out how to code logic that "understands" that concept. The randomizer is actually quite stupid (brute force) at this point, and it shows.
I did a lot of playing around with making more-or-less random functions like that inside of the presets themselves. I know my code's probably too but ugly, and my brain too scattered to pick, but I'm willing to offer any advice I can.

A lot of my per-pixel ideas came straight out of topology and knot theory...you split the screen up into various regions, each one a "surface" unto itself, and can do pretty much whatever you want as long as you stay within the interval specified by those limit points. Then it's just a matter of finding functions that map points of one space onto another...standard embedding stuff.

I know a lot of people don't like the way my presets "jump", and it's mostly due to my never tying the beat detection code into the choice of regions in any sane way...but if you watch closely the individual effects are all pretty tight until the outer-most field shifts... in my experience the brain "knows" a lot of geometry, and can pretty much track anything that follows a sin curve even if it's embedded in 4 or 5 dimensions. It's when you break out of the "context field" that you're embedding in that you get visual dischord. It's all subjective though...I'll resist the urge to launch into my own theories of aestetics
unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2003, 06:25   #35
Rozzor

EMPR just keeps getting better and better.

Esotic, thank you. I've been having too much fun playing with something that came out of Friday's version of the randomizer to really give the current version a decent beta test, but I intend to.

Restoring defaults just restores the stuff on the main form, right?

Just in case you want any kinda excuse to code more on it, when I said "The ability to output and upload variable range files." I was talking about being able to specify the high and low value on, for instance, warp, rot, and zoom, and then output that to a file (it wouldn't be a milk file) that I could upload at a later time. Am I at all clear yet?

Zylot, if you think of me better as a beserker wearing tall black boots, knock yourself out.
Attached Files
File Type: zip rozzor and telek - naming is half the fun.zip (1.1 KB, 282 views)
Old 3rd March 2003, 09:05   #36
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

/me knocks himself out j/k
Old 3rd March 2003, 09:10   #37
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

A great preset by Unchained that shows what he is talking about is Soft Science.
Old 3rd March 2003, 10:08   #38
Illusion
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Illusion
v0.0.0.12 is a lot easier to use in terms of the menus. I haven't had time to give it a good try yet, but hopefully will do so in the next week and will try and give you some feedback.

You've done a great job on it so far!
Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2003, 14:37   #39
Esotic

Community Effort

Thanks for the written appreciation. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside. Like turning a peach inside out and microwaving it.

Rozzor... I fully plan on implementing your idea of loading and saving preset ranges, I just have to wait for the perfect implementation to reveal itself to me. I expect that I'll get to that sometime this week.

And yes, restoring defaults is just for the main form. I did that more for myself, and the main motivation is the user defined per_frame variables (there's just so many). I would implement that onto the variables form as well, but your idea would kinda superceed the usefulness of that.

unchained... I'm not that deep into math theory (sadly enough). I'll do some research on the topics you presented, but could you (or anyone else) point me to some good online overviews of what you mentioned or math theory that generates visually appealling patterns in general?

Get your week on,

Esotic
Old 5th March 2003, 00:54   #40
Esotic

V0.0.0.13 Scary Number - Standard Enhancements

V0.0.0.13 - Standard Program Enhancements
- Added ability to save and load preset ranges on the variables form
- Set the tab order on both forms
- Enabled the Alt key for menus and assigned accelerator keys on the variables form

Feel free to make feature requests or post bug reports. If anybody can figure out why some presets crash milkdrop lemme know.

Anybody out there modifying the code?

Shine on,

Esotic
Attached Files
File Type: zip empr.zip (72.9 KB, 257 views)
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets