Old 30th April 2003, 03:45   #1
pairustwo

Add files to Wamp3 from FTP?

I have set up muse.net and found that my files are suddenly so disorganized that it is now a pain to use - I had thought that I had things organize very nicely.
So I set up an FTP server (I really want to listen to my music at work).

My question is this: How do I get songs or preferably directories (albums) into a winamp play list? Do I really have to download them to a local directory? That seems like an inefficient use of space.
I've tried to go to Add>Add Location> in Winamp3 and then typing in the FTP address but that just adds the address to the play list.

Any Ideas?

thanks
Pairustwo
Old 30th April 2003, 04:11   #2
pairustwo

Thanks Sawg,

I guess that that answers that.

Good tip about the web folders but check it out:
Quote:
The server must support WEC (FrontPage Extensions 97, 98 or 99) or it must be a WebDAV server. WebDAV, or Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning, is a set of extensions to HTTP 1.1 that enable users to read and write documents over the Web.
My poor little FTP server isn't going to let me do this.

pairustwo
Old 30th April 2003, 13:53   #3
cybaix

Send a message via ICQ to cybaix Send a message via AIM to cybaix Send a message via Yahoo to cybaix
Quote:
Originally posted by pairustwo
Thanks Sawg,

I guess that that answers that.

Good tip about the web folders but check it out:

My poor little FTP server isn't going to let me do this.

pairustwo
Just setup a shoutcast server or use this http://www.winamp.com/components3/de...omponentFlag=C
Old 30th April 2003, 14:06   #4
pairustwo

To wit:
Quote:
I have set up muse.net and found that my files are suddenly so disorganized that it is now a pain to use -
In addition when I connect to my muse.net database from my work machine (using the muse.net component for winamp3) I cannot get tracks into my playlist. I can remotely browse my collection on my home machine but I can't play anything. Also when I connect via the muse.net website I have the same problem. I guess that this is a problem for the muse.net forums. I'll reinstall everything and see if I can get it on.

pairustwo
Old 30th April 2003, 18:14   #5
Brennan
Monkey Hump Master

Yeah, wa3 doesn't support ftp: urls. Someone could add it eventually I suppose. For now why don't you just install Apache or something and stick the mp3s in a directory? If you have a recent build of wa3 you can even save a .b4s playlist of all your files in that directory and put that playlist in the directory. Then all you have to do is add->location and type the url of the playlist and bam, all your music will be imported, with metadata even.

That's what I do.

--Brennan
Old 1st May 2003, 00:31   #6
cybaix

Send a message via ICQ to cybaix Send a message via AIM to cybaix Send a message via Yahoo to cybaix
Quote:
Originally posted by pairustwo
To wit:

In addition when I connect to my muse.net database from my work machine (using the muse.net component for winamp3) I cannot get tracks into my playlist. I can remotely browse my collection on my home machine but I can't play anything. Also when I connect via the muse.net website I have the same problem. I guess that this is a problem for the muse.net forums. I'll reinstall everything and see if I can get it on.

pairustwo
Are you behind a router or firewall?
Old 1st May 2003, 01:41   #7
pairustwo

>Are you behind a router or firewall?

Yes but I think it must be a bandwith issue, I've gotten it to work but it takes a while. I reinstalled both Winamp and muse.net and now the songs are added to the play list when double clicked but the playlist song selection just cycles through all the songs for about 5 min. and finally seems to make a connection and begins to play.

I like the apache server idea are they any links to a how to page.
Not how to install apache but how to set up a server. I know you made it sound easy but maybe there is more detail somewhere?

Pairustwo

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Discussion