Old 28th May 2003, 04:14   #1
Helkite

What IS Wasabi?

Hello all, I've been a somewhat longtime user of Winamp... however I rarely browse these Forums. Lately, I've just read that thread about Winamp 2 + 3 going Winamp 5.

I personally don't think Winamp really needs any updates, and I'd just like it to stay settled for once, without the constant version release every couple months or so. Some people aren't content with things and can't help but constantly try to improve something that doesn't need any improvement. I don't know if this is the case with Winamp, the Nullsoft crew might just add something useful that I like. I guess I'll just stick around and see how things develop.

Anyhow, I guess I should go on to my main point of this thread, that is, I would like to know, WHAT IS Wasabi? I'm sorry if this is an incredibly stupid question, but I'm new here, so I don't know it. I don't. I heard this name/term used a few times in the aforementioned Winamp 5 thread, but I don't know what it is and how it has anything to do with Winamp.

If anybody could gimme some info, I'd much appreciate it, thanks.
Old 28th May 2003, 05:15   #2
duh
Banned

Send a message via AIM to duh Send a message via Yahoo to duh
http://www.winamp.com/nsdn/winamp3x/...5-wasabi.jhtml this should provide all the info you need, written by team nullsoft themselves!
Old 28th May 2003, 16:16   #3
Helkite

Uhh... I don't know if I'm missing somethingm, but that link gives me a almost blank page with the title "W3 WASABI Tutorial - Part V. WASABI Tutorials" but there's no content at all.
Old 28th May 2003, 17:57   #4
Brennan
Monkey Hump Master

The quickest, easiest answer is that Wasabi is a toolkit for writing metamorphic programs. i.e. skinnable, pluginable, etc.

--Brennan
Old 29th May 2003, 04:21   #5
Helkite

So is this some sort of engine Winamp 3 runs on? Or is it a special technology Winamp 3 has, developed by Nullsoft?
Old 29th May 2003, 04:44   #6
Nelsobra

Wasabi is actually a type of "sauce" you eat with sushi :P
Old 29th May 2003, 06:35   #7
sanosuke
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Nelsobra
yes but i dont think he/she was looking for that answer.

Big-assed signature deleted by errr.. whats his name again??
Old 29th May 2003, 17:56   #8
indicavia

Send a message via ICQ to indicavia
Quote:
Originally posted by Nelsobra
I've long wondered about what Wasabi originaly meant, I thought it had something to do with Japan, but..

could you say that Wasabi is like C++ or something? a "language" you can build applications with? ((I don't know anything about C++ so don't laugh at me if that's totally wrong.. )
Old 29th May 2003, 23:22   #9
Darkain
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Darkain Send a message via AIM to Darkain Send a message via Yahoo to Darkain
Quote:
Originally posted by indicavia
I've long wondered about what Wasabi originaly meant, I thought it had something to do with Japan, but..

could you say that Wasabi is like C++ or something? a "language" you can build applications with? ((I don't know anything about C++ so don't laugh at me if that's totally wrong.. )
Wasabi uses C++. what it is, is wasabi is a set of libraries within that use C++ as their base. its a premade set of tools for developers use to write their applications with.

its like making a cake with one of those boxes in the store where you just add water or somethin easy like that, instead of mixing each and every ingredient together yourself.

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
-=- RM-X Home Page - Controlling Winamp via RM-900, RM-1000, RM-1500, ATI Remote Wonder, Joysticks, Gamepads, Wheels, Keyboard shortcuts, Multimedia keyboards, across the net, and much more! -=- Defenestration !!! -=-
Old 30th May 2003, 01:08   #10
Helkite

So Winamp 3 itself doesn't use Wasabi? However OTHERS use Wasabi to write plugins for Winamp 3?
Old 30th May 2003, 01:11   #11
Darkain
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Darkain Send a message via AIM to Darkain Send a message via Yahoo to Darkain
Quote:
Originally posted by Helkite
So Winamp 3 itself doesn't use Wasabi? However OTHERS use Wasabi to write plugins for Winamp 3?
"Winamp3" really isnt anything.. lol. Winamp3 is mearly a collection of plugins writen in wasabi, such as an MP3 decoder, OGG decoder, WaveOut, Playlist... ect. these are all individual plugins writen in Wasabi.

check out the Winamp3\Wacs folder. inside of there is all of the *.wac files. each of these is a unique component to the application. most of wich can be removed, and the app will still function.

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
-=- RM-X Home Page - Controlling Winamp via RM-900, RM-1000, RM-1500, ATI Remote Wonder, Joysticks, Gamepads, Wheels, Keyboard shortcuts, Multimedia keyboards, across the net, and much more! -=- Defenestration !!! -=-
Old 30th May 2003, 02:33   #12
Helkite

How about the Winamp3 EXE itself...?
and the shell and the basic coding?
Old 30th May 2003, 02:34   #13
Darkain
Major Dude

Quote:
How about the Winamp3 EXE itself...?
and the shell and the basic coding?
the winamp3 exe is simply a plugin loader. nothing more. EVERYTHING else is handled by each individual plugin.

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
Old 3rd June 2003, 21:48   #14
Brennan
Monkey Hump Master

Now wait, Winamp3 IS something, it's just built from components. I could disassemble you into components and say, there's no Darkain, just a bunch of organs and skin. OK, and bones.

--Brennan
Old 4th June 2003, 11:10   #15
Darkain
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Brennan
Now wait, Winamp3 IS something, it's just built from components. I could disassemble you into components and say, there's no Darkain, just a bunch of organs and skin. OK, and bones.

--Brennan

ok ok ok... winamp3 IS something then... its a premade prebundled set of components. is this better, bas?

but really tho, as any component could in theory be removed and added to any other wasabi based app (such as wIRC)... (fawk, its like 4am, and i cant even finish typing a rant i start, but you get the idea)

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
Old 12th June 2003, 03:03   #16
Helkite

So, theoretically, we could use Wasabi not for multimedia purposes at all, but, say... to run, uh... Anti-virus diagnostics? All we'd have to do would replace the Winamp plugins with the anti-virus diagnostic plugins?

Also, an additional question... so Winamp 5 is going to be, in short, Winamp 2 with Wasabi features?
Old 12th June 2003, 03:51   #17
sanosuke
Major Dude

Quote:
[B]So, theoretically, we could use Wasabi not for multimedia purposes at all, but, say... to run, uh... Anti-virus diagnostics? All we'd have to do would replace the Winamp plugins with the anti-virus diagnostic plugins?
yes.

Quote:
Also, an additional question... so Winamp 5 is going to be, in short, Winamp 2 with Wasabi features?
i think it is more to winamp3 skins, not sure of wasabi

Big-assed signature deleted by errr.. whats his name again??

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Discussion