Old 12th November 2002, 10:24   #1
lemon_chicken
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to lemon_chicken
are people that insecure?

"...foward this message to ten people within five minutes and your crush will kiss you within two weeks! delete this message and you will have bud luck in your love life for ten years and never meet your true love..."

bullshit. obviously, if this stuff somehow worked i should have terrible luck, never get any, probably be dead etc. but i aint. not suprising.

so why the hell does this kinda phrase entice some people to fwd frantically to everyone in their address book? i really dont get it, i get fwds of this crap from some of my good friends. it must be the threats that motivate them too, cuase the emails never have anything decent in them. grrrr

someone explain what goes on in these peoples heads...i cant take not understanding...

|arbitary focus| it's never as flaccid as it is when plucked | 01110011 01100101 01111000 |
lemon_chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2002, 10:52   #2
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

I have no idea why. I guess some people are superstitious.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2002, 11:19   #3
Some1
Forum King

Quote:
so why the hell does this kinda phrase entice some people to fwd frantically to everyone in their address book?
False hope, whether it is offered by religion, philosophy, or a simple chain letter, is a very powerful motivator. It works by offering people something which they deeply want (such as "true love" in your e-mail example), and then saying that if they do something simple (like forward a message to 10 ppl, or embrace jesus, or whatever) and entirely unrelated to the thing which they get as a reward, they will have everything they ever wanted fall into their lap. Most people DO see the highly flawed logic of this, they just don't care...basically they figure that although doing whatever is asked of them probably won't accomplish anything, it can't hurt to do it anyways, and maybe (and this is where superstition comes in) it WILL actually help...so basically people respond to these kind of things because the reward offered is something which they deeply want (and also something which they cannot just acquire from the corner store), and because the requested action is simple enough that it's worth doing even it the odds that it will actually accomplish something are slim to none. I bet if those letters asked people to compose a 10 page essay about why they feel they deserve to find true love, and then get their essay published in a major newspaper, and then buy 1000 copies of the paper and send them to 1000 random people, there'd be FAR fewer takers.
Some1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2002, 12:11   #4
s1138
Alumni?

Send a message via ICQ to s1138 Send a message via AIM to s1138 Send a message via Yahoo to s1138
i never forwarded those..and i found my true love

s1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2002, 12:20   #5
rm'
Banned

Six months later...
rm' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2002, 12:40   #6
smeggle

<Quote> I bet if those letters asked people to compose a 10 page essay about why they feel they deserve to find true love, and then get their essay published in a major newspaper, and then buy 1000 copies of the paper and send them to 1000 random people, there'd be FAR fewer takers.<unQuote>

But I bet u do still get a lot of takers,.

I reckon you hit that one right on the head of the nail in your first sentence,<Quote>False hope, whether it is offered by religion, philosophy, or a simple chain letter, is a very powerful motivator. It works by offering people something which they deeply want (such as "true love" in your e-mail example), and then saying that if they do something simple (like forward a message to 10 ppl, or embrace jesus, or whatever) and entirely unrelated to the thing which they get as a reward, they will have everything they ever wanted fall into their lap.<unquote>
Definately agree .
I would have to add that it is Peoples own in-ablility to believe in themselves and there own ability's,That make them seek enhancement by including them selves in this kind of stuff.Similar to the Tarot and such like.
This card means ,sorry bit of a cynical git when it comes down to that stuff.
Oh well each to there own and if they get enjoyment/self worth from it ,then who am I to say anything.
As long as there happy thats the main thing.
Old 12th November 2002, 13:14   #7
zootm
Forum King

Re: are people that insecure?

Quote:
Originally posted by lemon_chicken
"...foward this message to ten people within five minutes and your crush will kiss you within two weeks! delete this message and you will have bud luck in your love life for ten years and never meet your true love..."
...or i could just go to her flat later... it's not far away...

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2002, 20:31   #8
Trigear
bear!

Re: Re: are people that insecure?

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm

...or i could just go to her flat later... it's not far away...
i'll be there, waiting
Trigear is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions